PDA

View Full Version : Useless Superpowers

Fungal Infection
25th January 2009, 01:30 PM
I like the 13th Bullet Bulletproof ability!!

http://superuseless.blogspot.com/

GoktimusPrime
25th January 2009, 02:02 PM
ROFLMAO!! :D :D

In the world of real super heroes I'd say the top 3 most useless superpowers would have to be:

3/ Green Arrow. Okay, the guy's a top-notch Robin Hood archer... but as a member of the JLA, alongside gods like Wonder Woman and Superman... an archer feels like the fifth wheel. ;)

2/ Aquaman. He has the ability to telepathetically communicate with fish. It could be useful if he were a member of the Sea Shepherd, telling whales to flee from Japanese whalers... but as a member of the JLA it seems kinda lame.

1/ Ma-Ti. The power of "heart" - the power to talk to animals - is pret-ty lame. Having the power of Dr. Do-Little is pretty lame when the other Planeteers can control the very elements themselves! On one hand it's better than Aquaman because it's not exclusively restricted to marine life, but I rank Ma-Ti below Aquaman because let's face it, Ma-Ti is the "Wheelie" of the Planeteers. :p

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/misc/uselesspowers.jpg

MV75
25th January 2009, 11:06 PM
"I want to be green. Spring green."

"And I wanna squeek. Everytime I move, *squeek*".

Golden Phoenix
25th January 2009, 11:12 PM
3/ Green Arrow. Okay, the guy's a top-notch Robin Hood archer... but as a member of the JLA, alongside gods like Wonder Woman and Superman... an archer feels like the fifth wheel. ;)

In comparison yeah, but it is still handy. He may not have an actual superpower, but he could still nail you with an arrow 99% of the time

There was a team in the Marvel universe made up of various heroes with useless powers.
One guy was flat. perfectly flat.
Another could hear radio transmissions, but didn't have control over where or when they came from

SofaMan
26th January 2009, 12:20 AM
There was a team in the Marvel universe made up of various heroes with useless powers.
One guy was flat. perfectly flat.
Another could hear radio transmissions, but didn't have control over where or when they came from

Hehe - the Great Lakes Avengers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Avengers). They weren't entirely useless, but their power were pretty weird. Flatman was basically Mr. Fantastic, only flat. Doorman was pretty handy, being a human shaped portal that could let his teammates through walls and such. And Mr. Immortal, who literally couldn't die. Which is to say, he could be fatally wounded, but would heal pretty much instantly.

SofaMan
26th January 2009, 12:26 AM
ROFLMAO!! :D :D

Yeah, you better wink. Green Lantern is a lot like Batman; not superhuman at all, just very very highly trained. There's alot to be said for what a highly trained individual can achieve over someone with innate ability.

Batman has even beaten Superman once, with Green Lantern's help. And GL only had one arm then.

SofaMan
26th January 2009, 12:27 AM
Getting back on-topic, I really liked 99% opacity man. :D

jacksplatt11
26th January 2009, 12:29 AM
Batman has even beaten Superman once, with Green Lantern's help. And GL only had one arm then.

One of my favourite comics :D

Wheel-J
26th January 2009, 08:16 AM
What if you are in a duello and you have the sole power to supercharge (http://heroeswiki.com/Ability_supercharging) other's ability?...not the very ideal in that kind of situation as far as your opponent couldn't catch you...:D Well, in the last episode of heroes season 3, that was the power Ando acquired - which was amusing at first - but on the other hand..... ;)

Getting back on-topic, I really liked 99% opacity man. :D

+1! :D

GoktimusPrime
26th January 2009, 08:53 AM
Sofaman: Batman has an incredible array of awesome gadgets and high training... Green Lanterns have those funky rings which are only limited to their imagination. And the colour yellow (hahaha). Green Arrow is an archer. Come on! LAME! Cool in Sherwood Forest mayhaps... but alongside the Batmobile and the Green Lantern Corps?! Bah! He's such a spare tyre. :)

This thread also made me think about Mystery Men! A whole movie (based on a comic) about a team of super-heroes with lame powers!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/mysterymen.png
From L-R:
+ The Bowler: Has a haunted bowling ball
+ Invisible Boy: Can become invisible but only if nobody looks at him
+ The Sphinx: Can cut guns in half with his mind (okay, that's a pretty cool power - but he talks in nonsensical idioms).
+ The Shoveller: Can shovel really well.
+ The Spleen: Cursed by a gypsy. Smells really bad - ranged fart attacks.
+ Mr Furious: Unlimited rage.
+ The Blue Raja: Fights with spoons and forks, but not knives because they're barbaric. Note that his costume isn't blue. Speaks with a fake English accent.

Mystery Men Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmHBFgIoX0) :)

SofaMan
26th January 2009, 01:08 PM
Sofaman: Batman has an incredible array of awesome gadgets and high training...

So does GA. He (and his Marvel ripoff Hawkeye) had loads and loads of different high-tech arrowheads. Batman and Green Arrow are very similar in many important respects:

- Both are billionaires. Well GA was, anyway.
- Both have access to a large array of high tech gadgetry, although GA's is mostly archery related, natch.
- Both are highly trained physically, with considerable acrobatic and martial arts skill.

The green Robin Hood cap is a bit natty, I grant you. :p

TheDirtyDigger
26th January 2009, 06:33 PM
The green Robin Hood cap is a bit natty, I grant you. :p
Yeah but the hoodie rocks.

http://www.dccomics.com/media/product/8/1/8187_400x600.jpg

Hot Rodimus
27th January 2009, 01:15 PM
If memory serves me correctly Green Arrow also won a martial arts competition which included fighters the likes of Batman and Huntress, this was the 2nd green arrow though, Ollie the sone of the original.

So yes while lame and very gimicky as well as being DC's answer to Hawkeye dude can fight.

I think the lamess is Antman.... ok so your going to shrink to the size of an ant..... then what???

SofaMan
27th January 2009, 06:06 PM
So yes while lame and very gimicky as well as being DC's answer to Hawkeye dude can fight.

If we're being very nerdy and pedantic, Hawkeye is Marvel's answer to Green Arrow. GA was created in 1941, Hawkeye in 1965.

GoktimusPrime
27th January 2009, 09:38 PM
If memory serves me correctly Green Arrow also won a martial arts competition which included fighters the likes of Batman and Huntress
That's only cos CHUCK NORRIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPA1u6r_0Y) wasn't there! :p

Paulbot
27th January 2009, 09:45 PM
There's some cute and funny cartoons on that blog.

Hot Rodimus
28th January 2009, 10:07 PM
If we're being very nerdy and pedantic, Hawkeye is Marvel's answer to Green Arrow. GA was created in 1941, Hawkeye in 1965.

Dude most of us are grown men posting on a forum that is pretty much about toys, I would say most of the stuff on here is nerdy, and collecting is easilyt something one can become pedantic about...... doesn't mean I don't love it though.

Didn't know GA was before Hawkeye though....obviously...... I was always more of a Hawkeye fan as a kid.

Gok that youtube clip is a classic! I had heard most of them before but to hear it from the man's mouth himself was gold.Number 3 was my fave.

STL
28th January 2009, 11:34 PM
Dude most of us are grown men posting on a forum that is pretty much about toys, I would say most of the stuff on here is nerdy, and collecting is easilyt something one can become pedantic about...... doesn't mean I don't love it though.

Didn't know GA was before Hawkeye though....obviously...... I was always more of a Hawkeye fan as a kid.

Correcto!

I think "useless superpowers" misses the point of reading comics in the first place. You're not reading for the powers, for the characters. So Silver Surfer is the most powerful superhero out there. Does that make him more interesting that Superman? Heck no. Age of creation is irrelevant too. Spider-Man was created before Captain America. Guess who is far more relevant and popular? Age has nothing to do with it.

I love Hawkeye too. He's got different layers to Green Arrow and I've got say I've never been a fan of the playboy billionaire stereotype. Makes them far too dull. Batman's different b/c he's scarred. Hawkeye's the underdog and that's why he appeals to me. Through the Avengers and the Thunderbolts, I grew up on him and he was a fighter.

dirge
29th January 2009, 10:26 AM
Aquaman. He has the ability to telepathetically communicate with fish. It could be useful if he were a member of the Sea Shepherd, telling whales to flee from Japanese whalers... but as a member of the JLA it seems kinda lame.

Actually, it still would be useless. Whales aren't fish, they're placental mammals :D

Hehe - the Great Lakes Avengers. Mr. Immortal, who literally couldn't die. Which is to say, he could be fatally wounded, but would heal pretty much instantly.

I'd argue that this is a awesome superpower. Sure, he'd take a hell of a beating, but would defeat almost _any_ supervillian. Eventually :rolleyes:

Golden Phoenix
29th January 2009, 12:05 PM
I'd argue that this is a awesome superpower. Sure, he'd take a hell of a beating, but would defeat almost _any_ supervillian. Eventually :rolleyes:

They could just put him in a pod and fire him into the sun.
He wouldn't die, but keep healing. He'd live in constant pain until the end of the universe. That would kind of suck

GoktimusPrime
29th January 2009, 04:44 PM
You're an evil (insert word here), Golden Phoenix!!

Golden Phoenix
29th January 2009, 11:07 PM
You're an evil (insert word here), Golden Phoenix!!

Yeah I do seem to have a really good mind for thinking up ways to cause pain. It scares me sometimes.

Lucky I don't get a kick out of doing it, I'd make a good serial killer

SilverDragon
30th January 2009, 05:49 PM
me.

1/ Ma-Ti. The power of "heart" - the power to talk to animals - is pret-ty lame. Having the power of Dr. Do-Little is pretty lame when the other Planeteers can control the very elements themselves! On one hand it's better than Aquaman because it's not exclusively restricted to marine life, but I rank Ma-Ti below Aquaman because let's face it, Ma-Ti is the "Wheelie" of the Planeteers. :p

Dude, Ma-Ti's power is awesome. He could get a nearby elephant to run you over.

If there were any elephants nearby...

Yeah, Ma-Ti's power sucked.

Geminii
24th February 2009, 04:06 PM
Dude, Ma-Ti's power is awesome. He could get a nearby elephant to run you over.

If there were any elephants nearby...

Yeah, Ma-Ti's power sucked.

The ability to synch and influence with anything with a brain would rock. It's only because the character was so lame that nothing was ever done with it. In the hands of someone competent you'd have telepathy, brainwashing, lie detection, mindripping, superhypnosis, puppeteering, political and financial influence, an army of zombie animals and another of fanatically loyal worshippers.

His power could have rocked if he wasn't such a wuss.

STL
25th February 2009, 12:02 AM
No bashing of Captain Planet! I loved that show. :o :o :o

(Hopefully they release it as a series on DVD one day)