PDA

View Full Version : MP Grimlock - buy or avoid?

griffin
27th January 2009, 12:32 AM
The upcoming Masterpiece Grimlock has been seen in its final colours, so will you be buying it?
- Definitely yes.
- Maybe yes.
- Undecided.
- No.
- Will wait and see Hasbro's version first (if they release it).

blackie
27th January 2009, 12:39 AM
oh now thats a hard question
Unlike the hasbro release of MP starscream, i cant see much they could change for grimlock apart from the packaging, which id rather the takara version...
still.. with the sliding American dollar, it may be cheaper to get it here than from an import.
hopefully theyll do what they did with MP Prime, and just import the takara version and then ill be a happy camper :D

roller
27th January 2009, 01:45 AM
i voted Hasbro

Im skint

so a cheaper alternative is the way to go, otherwise there is no way to go, hence, no toy

Gutsman Heavy
27th January 2009, 02:28 AM
I'll see hasbro, they did a good job on 20th Prime and SS. Plus that dollar...

liegeprime
27th January 2009, 02:33 AM
I still cant decide, have to see one first, sizewise is the major drawback for me, it should be as big at least as prime, its meant to go with the Alts and MPs so it shouldve been bigger, still have to see it, if I like it, size wont matter much. TF size issues have always been a peeve.:o

iceburn
27th January 2009, 07:29 AM
a definitely Yes for me provided i still have enough money when it's out...
else it'll be Hasbro version Grimlock first and another fine day for Takara MP

Adzma
27th January 2009, 07:52 AM
I'm going to wait and see if Grimlock continues TakTom's latest craze of ignoring QC in all forms first. I'm not spending nearly over $250 on something that will break in my hands.

Paulbot
27th January 2009, 08:04 AM
Maybe, but only because of QC concerns. It looks great in the promo pictures.

1orion2many
27th January 2009, 08:23 AM
:oI already prepaid through the Tetster so you could say I have already bought it.:D How could you pass up on the Grimster;).

Hot Rodimus
27th January 2009, 08:31 AM
I would love one but having a family I am usually on a tight budget so anything to make my purchase cheaper is what I look for so hopefully I can get a Hasbro version.

Robzy
27th January 2009, 08:51 AM
Okay Hasbro... the ball's in your court!

d*r*j*
27th January 2009, 09:07 AM
Yeah I'll definately be looking to pick one of these up. Never had a G1 Grimlock... I just can't pre-order a toy 6 months in advance, when it comes out I'll look around for it.

Hereticpoo
27th January 2009, 09:49 AM
Definate yes.

I will pay impatience tax and get it asap. That said my TF budget is about $500 per year so I'm done with TF's till at least June! :D

I doubt we'll see a Hasbro version this year because they've already stated that ROTF is their main focus. :(

I'm not a fan of Grimlocks accesories and it would have saved us a few dollars if they didn't include silly things like serving trays and bow ties. A missile launcher would have been waaaay cooler than an apron. :)

orionpax1
27th January 2009, 10:05 AM
A definate yes as i'am getting it through TC anyway, been looking forward to this MP ever since he was first mentioned all those moons ago and i think it might be awhile before we see a hasbro version, as they might wait to see how taktom version sells.

Lint
27th January 2009, 10:44 AM
With the current exchange I don't think I can go through with it. I'll wait for a local release or a trip to japan because if I see it on a shelf I dont think I will be able to resist :p

kup
27th January 2009, 10:52 AM
I am not a fan of the alt mode design but I will still get it due to the character but I am choosing a 'maybe yes' because of all the QC issues that have been plaguing Tak-Tom in the past months.

Golden Phoenix
27th January 2009, 10:58 AM
Its an Undecided for me.
I'd love to get him, but with the QC issues from Takara and my lack of money I'll have to wait and see if there is a cheaper alternative

turtle boy
27th January 2009, 11:50 AM
I'm going to get it, but only cause my collection theme says i have to, I have to get 2:(

Wheel-J
27th January 2009, 11:57 AM
I always have wanted to own an MP Grimlock when the news break out.
But this baby is pricing a couple bucks more expensive than I expect.
I reckon this is one of the best time to practice my self-taught super ability...........patience.
:)

griffin
27th January 2009, 12:54 PM
I doubt we'll see a Hasbro version this year because they've already stated that ROTF is their main focus. :(

Hasbro have said that there will be a MP figure released around September, and we know that Grimlock was their idea, not Takara's.

Hereticpoo
27th January 2009, 01:08 PM
Hasbro have said that there will be a MP figure released around September, and we know that Grimlock was their idea, not Takara's.

Really? Dam. I thought the Hasbro release was rumour fanned by speculation and collectors forums.

We need a crying emoticon.... :(

Kyle
27th January 2009, 01:17 PM
Definitely! :)

d*r*j*
27th January 2009, 01:28 PM
If the american version of this is good then I might just grab it instead. Knowing it will be in regular stores makes all the difference. I was really happy with my walmart (TRU) starscream...

STL
27th January 2009, 02:32 PM
In one form or another I will buy it. The extra card and instruction booklet are a heavy premium to pay

d*r*j*
27th January 2009, 04:31 PM
any chance that there will be a blue repaint of this? maybe an ehobby release?

GoktimusPrime
27th January 2009, 05:33 PM
I do want to get an MP Grimlock... do we know if Hasbro Australia will definitely release the toy here?

Hmm... atm I'm considering getting one from Japan. I've already cancelled some Henkei pre-orders in anticipation. But if Hasbro AU will release them locally then I might consider waiting for a cheaper local version.

turtle boy
27th January 2009, 05:55 PM
any chance that there will be a blue repaint of this? maybe an ehobby release?

Why would they do a blue one? I think the masterpiece line is to make G1 toys look better, not G2 stuff. would be a cool thing to see though. I don't even know what i'm saying anymore, i feel sick:(

GoktimusPrime
27th January 2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah but he was recommending it as an exclusive e-Hobby exclusive, not as a standard mass store release retail item. As an exclusive item it might work.

griffin
28th January 2009, 01:16 AM
None of the MP toys have been e-hobby-ed yet, so it would be unlikely they would start with Grimlock. Then again, it might be the only way to do a low demand recolour without the risk of excess stock from a normal production run.

d*r*j*
28th January 2009, 07:23 AM
None of the MP toys have been e-hobby-ed yet, so it would be unlikely they would start with Grimlock. Then again, it might be the only way to do a low demand recolour without the risk of excess stock from a normal production run.

I'm a little surprise we haven't had a Nemesis Prime or something along those lines either. I heard a lot of talk that TT wanted masterpiece molds that could be re-painted and re-used.
Maybe they are just trying to keep the market in a constant state of starvation?

Lord_Zed
28th January 2009, 12:16 PM
Somwhere between Maybe and Definately, QC issues are my only worry because I REALLY want this Grimlock, and while it may be just as cool and cheaper with Hasbro we don't know for certain. So unless we get some more concrete Information about the Hasbro version or bad feedback about the Takara one I'll most likely get one.

roller
28th January 2009, 06:26 PM
I REALLY want this Grimlock

Why? :confused: its just Grimlock , the idiot fell down the trap door in Madmans paradise, broke the magnetic compass and got on everyones nerves in the cartoon :)

(stand by for 'Comics grimlock is my saviour speech) :p:D

Lord_Zed
28th January 2009, 08:07 PM
(stand by for 'Comics grimlock is my saviour speech) :p:D

Pretty much! Without said comics TF's are nothing to me.

Besides you have Blur as your Avatar atm, so you obviously appreciate comic relief. :p

Surely the only thing better would be MP Fangry. :D

kup
6th February 2009, 12:31 AM
Pretty much! Without said comics TF's are nothing to me.

Besides you have Blur as your Avatar atm, so you obviously appreciate comic relief. :p

Surely the only thing better would be MP Fangry. :D

I would just settle for Classics Fangry. That would be awesome! He should come with a can of oil that Grimlock can throw can throw at him.

rampagesss
24th February 2009, 04:20 PM
I’m a Definitely yes. Looks great

Only downside would be that so far it looks like it transformers much like the original G1 grimlock I was hopeing it would be different like MP1 compared to the original prime.
But since ill be displaying him i robot mode don't care all that much so ill get him :D

SilverDragon
24th February 2009, 05:46 PM
Most likely not. I have little-to-no interest in it...especially because I can't do imports right not anyway. Also, apron wtf. He should come with a crown, not with a relic of his season 3 decay. After all, he Grimlock king.

SGB
24th February 2009, 06:14 PM
Definitely getting the MP Grimmy. :D

GoktimusPrime
25th February 2009, 06:41 PM
I've decided against importing it. If it comes out locally I will consider.

Sky Shadow
25th February 2009, 06:51 PM
Also, apron wtf. He should come with a crown, not with a relic of his season 3 decay.

He... does come with a crown. Doesn't he?

http://www.collectiondx.com/system/files/ap_20081106082938989.jpg.jpg

jacksplatt11
25th February 2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I was sure I remembered seeing pics of him with a crown

JuzMel
25th February 2009, 09:20 PM
Frankie toys already putting out their pre-orders US$157 shipped... Arrives end March

TF76
25th February 2009, 09:37 PM
I got an email too from frankie, I will change my vote to a see what hasbro does. It is way to much for a single to for me at the moment.

:(

blackie
25th February 2009, 09:53 PM
Frankie toys already putting out their pre-orders US$157 shipped... Arrives end March

rk is still cheaper by a few dollars :P
i think ill wait, but ill prob kick myself for doing so :P

Golden Phoenix
25th February 2009, 10:08 PM
i think ill wait, but ill prob kick myself for doing so :P

I could help you with that

G1Optimal
26th February 2009, 12:06 PM
I voted a maybe yes....

Due to mostly, me saving as much "as" i can before the new movie line comes out.:p

DigDug
9th March 2009, 01:10 PM
I *had* money, I ordered him. Now I'm broke (not the least because of this kind of financial management ;)) and I'm glad I preordered. I have most Takara MPs anyway, plus I don't have to worry about the local release becoming an MP03 style travesty. Considering the recent price hikes in Transformers, I'm also betting the Hasbro version will be somehow modified to be cheaper, or simply come in at a higher price point than MP03 too...

blackie
9th March 2009, 01:13 PM
i bought 8.....

i_amtrunks
9th March 2009, 01:45 PM
I wanted one, but I've been priced out of the Takara version.

So if I get Grimlock at all it will most likely be the plastic one.

The Scream Man
15th August 2009, 09:39 AM
if theres a review thread for this i couldnt find it.

Got given a MP Grimlock for my birthday, and he's awesome! Dino mode is cool, but Robot mode is pure love. About the only complaint is that the tail sections tend to fall out of his legs a bit in robot mode, which can look kinda lame when posing him. I added a small dab of blutak to keep it in, so no huge deal, but at the same time thats pretty poor for such a pricey toy.

The accessories are mostly useless, so if anyone buys the king Grimlock version and wants the apron, tray, bowtie and brain drain head thingy they can PM me and we can work something out.

But the core figure: Teh awesome!

GoktimusPrime
15th August 2009, 11:12 AM
How much would you pay for it if you didn't get it as a gift? I've seen gamblor916's MP Grimlock and it is a sweet toy, but I don't think it's worth its RRP which is above the average RRP for MPs.

shokwave2
15th August 2009, 11:57 AM
Can anyone post a pic or link to a comparison between Grimlock and other MP's?

Wheel-J
15th August 2009, 04:10 PM
Can anyone post a pic or link to a comparison between Grimlock and other MP's?

If this helps..

http://www.otca.com.au/collection/c12.html

The Scream Man
16th August 2009, 08:33 AM
How much would you pay for it if you didn't get it as a gift? I've seen gamblor916's MP Grimlock and it is a sweet toy, but I don't think it's worth its RRP which is above the average RRP for MPs.

Its about 160 Aussie or so? Yeah i dunno if Id have paid that. i cant remember what i payed for my Anniversary Optimus, (I got the US version) but It was less than that and that feels like a bulkier toy. On the other hand,Grimlock poses better, holds his weapons and is easy to Transform. i dunno, maybe 110 or so Aussie?