PDA

View Full Version : Marty Isenberg gone. Animated no more?

STL
27th January 2009, 03:51 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-animated-discussion/216016-marty-isenberg-no-longer-cartoon-network.html

I think he did a great job with the target audience and market dynamics he had to work with. Sad to hear it.

Are the rumours true to that Animated is over w/ Season 3? That's pretty strange and equally disappointing. Primarily b/c I still haven't got my Omega Supreme yet!!!

And how did Animated rate on the Cartoon Network anyway? If my memory serves me well, the cartoon release wasn't very well timed with the toy release.

FFN
27th January 2009, 04:44 PM
Marty clarified what had happened, but the thread has been deleted anyway. He was not a salaried employee of the CN, but a freelancer. CN was kind enough to give him an office, but since his TF writing duties had been completed for a long time, apparently they needed the office back.

Of course, doesn't explain why they're taking his CN email away...

TheDirtyDigger
27th January 2009, 04:54 PM
Not many things suck more than when a really popular cartoon with a massive fan base is cancelled after 2 or 3 seasons.

Is Animated ending after season 3?

kup
27th January 2009, 04:59 PM
At this point it is still rumor. Things may not be as it sounds as FFN has mentioned:

Isenberg was personally corresponding via email with a TFW 2005 staffer. Here's what he has to say by way of a clarification: (Credit to TFW2005):
"Well, I didn't exactly lose my job because I never had a salaried position at Cartoon Network to begin with. My duties on Transformers have been strictly on a freelance basis. Cartoon Network was just kind enough to provide me with an office. But since my writing duties have been complete for some time now they decided they needed the space back." - Marty Isenberg

However all this still doesn't sound that bright for Animated and not particularly when only recently did rumored talk of it being canceled by the end of Season 3 start.

Golden Phoenix
27th January 2009, 05:24 PM
Bah humbug.
I don't think they would get rid of it that quickly....would they?

I don't think we need to worry. not at least until they announce the cancellation

jaydisc
27th January 2009, 05:32 PM
I don't really care whether the show continues or not... it's the toy line that matters.

GoktimusPrime
27th January 2009, 05:33 PM
Meh, three seasons is plenty. I'd like to see them move on with something new now - preferably drawing inspiration from the movie - not necessarily in terms of visual design, but more in terms of the mythos.

Oilspill
27th January 2009, 08:42 PM
They're unlikely to continue the toyline if the show isn't being aired.

But hopefully conclusions are being jumped to. I'd like to get a season 4 at least. I feel Animated has a lot more stories to tell and IMO it is one of the best TF shows, right up there with Beast Wars and G1.

And as STL said, I need an Animated Omega Supreme!

roller
27th January 2009, 08:46 PM
maybe its a case of cancelling it before it gets stale

i think its a bit silly stopping and starting every few years like Armada-Energon-Cybertron

GoktimusPrime
27th January 2009, 09:07 PM
Oh don't you worry... I'm sure there'll be many more repaints to come, including repaints of moulds from non-Animated lines that'll be rebadged as Animated. Oh yeah. ;)

maybe its a case of cancelling it before it gets stale
At least there appears to be more advanced notice this time... mind you I have no idea how much of Season 3 has already been written... I just hope that it's not gonna be another case of Hasbro cancelling the series at the last moment forcing the writer to wrap things up hastily and making the ending feel rushed like we had with G1 and BW. Mind you, Animated typically isn't written with such complexity that it would necessarily matter... judging from the way Seasons 1 and 2 written it should be fine so long as Isenberg received the news before he wrote the multi-part season finale.

i think its a bit silly stopping and starting every few years like Armada-Energon-Cybertron
I said that 6 years ago!! :p I was never impressed with HasTak's decision to 'reboot' continuity with Armada... by time Animated came along I just no longer cared. :/

...I miss the days of Beast Wars/Machines when writers actually cared about keeping things in continuity with G1/G2. But no use crying over spilt milk I suppose.

Paulbot
27th January 2009, 09:41 PM
I said that 6 years ago!! :p I was never impressed with HasTak's decision to 'reboot' continuity with Armada... by time Animated came along I just no longer cared. :/
Don't you mean Takara when they did Car Robots?

GoktimusPrime
27th January 2009, 10:14 PM
Car Robot didn't feel like a true "G1 reboot" to me. First of all, it was a blend of G1 and Beast Wars, since it started off with Autobots vs. Predacons (Destrongers) - many of which were repainted Transmetal 2s (albeit oversized by BW standards). And it featured entirely new characters - Fire Convoy (not Convoy), Gigatron, X-Car, Ox, Gelshark, Gaskunk, Gusshar, JRX, Build King etc etc. - none of them carried G1 or BW character names or were ever portrayed as being elseworld equivalents of such characters.

Armada/Micron Legend was different though, that absolutely felt like a G1 reboot to me. Firstly we had Autobots vs Decepticons again. Secondly we had the return of G1 characters and names, such as Optimus Prime/Convoy, Red Alert/Ratchet, Megatron, Starscream, Cyclonus et al.

Also, I guess because Car Robot came along at the same time as Beast Machines, so while I enjoyed Car Robot as an alternate continuity, I still had Beast Machines as part of the "mainstream continuity." When Armada came along both Hasbro and Takara effectively abandoned the continuity that had been running since 1984. Then came Dreamwave's G1 reboot and then IDW's reboot. I came to like DW's G1 (from Series 2 onwards; don't like series 1) and I like IDW's G1... I'm pretty much climatised to reboots now, they don't phase me.

But when Armada first came along I must confess that it bugged me in terms of being the first "real" reboot. On the other hand, Armada thrilled me when it came out simply because I'd gone through that awful TF drought of 2002 and Armada broke that drought like an oasis in the desert! ;)

Kyle
28th January 2009, 12:13 AM
Animated ending with Season 3 is very very sad news for me. :(

Stompy
28th January 2009, 12:42 AM
Same here. Sad as well. The focus on really humanizing the robots by (ironically) thru Sari and the high contact with humans was a very refreshing approach to the line. Not to mention all the "neutral" robots that made for some interesting plot and stories. Let's hope that if it is going to end with Season 3 that it wraps up pretty well.

FFN
28th January 2009, 01:00 AM
Didn't TakaraTomy put Car Robots into G1 in the continuity map (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:Japaneseflowchart.jpg) on the World of The Transformers website, based upon the one by one of the TFWiki editors (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:Continuities.png) (which was published in the official club newsletter)?

Not part of the continuity map on the site or the Kissplayers compilation book, but claimed on the actual website, was that the 2007 live-action was part of G1. What?

Not related, but this amuses me:

In addition to this serious working-over of the Generation 1 universe, the website timeline also took a moment to retcon Galaxy Force back into the same timeline as Micron Legend and Superlink (as it had always been presented in the West). American fans who had spent a year whining about how Hasbro had totally ruined the show by ignoring the super-cool and awesome Japanese intent were promptly pointed and laughed at.

GoktimusPrime
28th January 2009, 09:49 AM
Well then that absolutely places Car Robot into G1 continuity meaning that Armada is definitely the first true "reboot," not CR.

American fans who had spent a year whining about how Hasbro had totally ruined the show by ignoring the super-cool and awesome Japanese intent were promptly pointed and laughed at.
*facepalm* This is why I dislike TFwiki...

Paulbot
28th January 2009, 12:10 PM
Well then that absolutely places Car Robot into G1 continuity meaning that Armada is definitely the first true "reboot," not CR.

No it'd still be the Robots in Disguise cartoon not Armada :p

I think RID gets overlooked a lot, but I enjoyed the series and find it many ways similar to Animated. It had a vastly different animation style from the previous (Western) TF cartoons, it had a small core cast of Autobots and Decepticons with guest heroes and villains getting spotllight episodes, it could mix fun and silliness with a good TF story, and it had an overarching story which didn't dominate things the way the Unicron Trilogy did.

So yay to Animated! Hope they can make some more. And hopefully RID will get a local DVD release. :)

FFN
28th January 2009, 05:03 PM
Something Kickback pointed out: It's possible that if Animated has ended, Hasbro wants to do a cartoon series in the direction of the movie, given it's enormous success.

At the Eric meet last year, I recall Gok asking Hasbro why did they go with Animated, such a vastly opposite visual direction to the 2007 Movie, comparing WB's decision to do the Batman animated series based upon the dark tone of the very successful Tim Burton's Batman movies. I assume he had forgotten at the time that Animated was actually in development before the movie was out (during which it wasn't known if the movie would be successful), and some details of the series were changed in production in anticipation of the then-upcoming movie, such as Hot Shot becoming Bumblebee.

Methinks at the time Hasbro were hedging their bets and going in two wildly different directions on the off-chance one didn't do as well as they had hoped. Fortunately for all concerned, both did well.

Well then that absolutely places Car Robot into G1 continuity meaning that Armada is definitely the first true "reboot," not CR. No, it just means Takara retconned Car Robots into the Japanese cartoon continuity... for some reason. It was still the first reboot series.

*facepalm* This is why I dislike TFwiki... But it's true. People who slobbered all over Galaxy Force and complained about how Hasbro was totally ruining Takara's intent by placing Cybertron in Armada-Energon's continuity (as both companies had originally planned) deserve to be mocked and derided for all they are worth.

GoktimusPrime
28th January 2009, 06:45 PM
But it's true. People who <fapped> off at Galaxy Force and complained about how Hasbro was totally ruining Takara's Galaxy Force series by placing Cybertron in Armada-Energon's continuity (as both companies had originally planned) deserve to be mocked and derided for all they are worth.

Continued here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=78731).

No, it just means Takara retconned Car Robots into the Japanese cartoon continuity... for some reason. It was still the first reboot series.
But by the Law of RetCon it means that it's not a reboot, even if it may have initially been intended to be so.

roller
28th January 2009, 07:21 PM
Although i dont rate Animated as my fave cartoon

i hope it goes longer, you guys should see the perth fans faces light up and their voices crack with excitement when soul trader Kyle bings them toys in his sack.

Did any cartoon run as long as Teenage mutant Ninja turtles?

Robzy
28th January 2009, 09:22 PM
Did any cartoon run as long as Teenage mutant Ninja turtles?The Simpsons :p

jacksplatt11
28th January 2009, 09:24 PM
The Simpsons :p

Yeah but that jumped the shark 10 years ago :rolleyes:

GoktimusPrime
28th January 2009, 09:46 PM
Did any cartoon run as long as Teenage mutant Ninja turtles?

Sazae-san (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sazae-san#Sazae-san_animated_series) first aired in 1969 and is still running today. (Ep.5717 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71vnLSMjdb8))

Ode to a Grasshopper
29th January 2009, 01:17 PM
On the one hand...NOOOOOOOO! It's been the best TF series I've seen to date - well-planned action scenes, killer voice acting (especially Tom Kenny as Starscream), good writing, great characterisation, an intelligent and ongoing plot, and the toy design is just amazing. I've bought quite a few and still can't believe their articulation and all-round general awesomeness.

On the other hand, it'd be so sad to see it go on too long and get stale, or have a lame wrap-it-up ending a la the G1 Rebirth trilogy. It's been a fun ride no matter how long it goes for.

roller
29th January 2009, 03:08 PM
you guys should pull a startrek and write a million letters into Hasbro demanding Animated continue, if its canceled that is

GoktimusPrime
29th January 2009, 03:16 PM
It's been the best TF series I've seen to date
Beast Wars is the best TF TV series IMO. Animated doesn't hold a candle to Beast Wars. *nods*

SilverDragon
29th January 2009, 05:46 PM
DO NOT WANT. Animated is awesome. It shouldn't be ended abruptly like this.

Wrong!

G1 went on even though there wasn't a cartoon being aired.

Also, the Movie line went on for far longer than it should have.

GoktimusPrime
29th January 2009, 09:17 PM
Wrong!

G1 went on even though there wasn't a cartoon being aired.
That's because G1 existed as a toyline first. Comics second. Cartoon third. Animated is different because the toyline was developed concurrently with the cartoon, which is unusual for Transformers where the toys typically come first. With most other TF series I would be inclined to agree with you, but Animated is quite exceptional because basically the toys are based off the cartoon and not vice versa.

That's not to say that the toys will end at the same time as the show. I'm sure that Hasbro will pad it out after the show has ended - we may get some other non-show characters like Oilslick, but more importantly, prepare yourself for repaints, possibly even from non-Animated moulds. :p

Also, the Movie line went on for far longer than it should have.
Afaik the movie franchise is set to be a trilogy - and we know that TF2: Revenge of the Fallen is coming out later this year. So that franchise is far from being over. They are "padding out" the line between movies with repaints and stuff, but yeah - I can understand Hasbro wanting to keep the line running between films.

And while I'm personally not thrilled with all these repaints - because I already have all those moulds - for fans who didn't already have those moulds it gave them an opportunity to grab them if they missed them during Cybertron etc.

i_amtrunks
2nd February 2009, 11:07 AM
I hope that Animated wont be gone so quickly, it's been a nice change from the A/E/C years, and so vastly different from the movie direction.

It aint the best tf show ever made, but it sure as hell isn't bad, and is far from the worst animated show on the box.

Ode to a Grasshopper
2nd February 2009, 02:29 PM
Beast Wars is the best TF TV series IMO. Animated doesn't hold a candle to Beast Wars. *nods*

I can see why you'd feel that way, but I prefer Animated.

kup
2nd February 2009, 02:41 PM
I hope that Animated wont be gone so quickly, it's been a nice change from the A/E/C years, and so vastly different from the movie direction.

It aint the best tf show ever made, but it sure as hell isn't bad, and is far from the worst animated show on the box.

I think that Animated will stick around for a while after the show is over.

The next cartoon that comes out will also not happen for a while since its probably not even in pre-production yet so they need something happening in between that and the next movie so I don't see Animated completely disappearing once Season 3 is over but lasting for at least 6 months to a year after that. However I wouldn't count in the quality of the releases as they will likely be composed of mostly 'filler' repaints like the last runs of the TF1 movie toys with perhaps a couple of new molds they didn't get a chance to release during the cartoon run.

Golden Phoenix
2nd February 2009, 03:31 PM
perhaps a couple of new molds they didn't get a chance to release during the cartoon run.

Common new moulds, papa needs a new Omega Supreme

Robzy
2nd February 2009, 07:42 PM
papa needs a new Omega Supreme+1

jaydisc
2nd February 2009, 07:49 PM
I think it's +4 by now. Permit me to make it +5!

It's been at the top of my want list for months!

GoktimusPrime
2nd February 2009, 07:53 PM
I can see why you'd feel that way, but I prefer Animated.
Continued here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=79645). :)

Kyle
2nd February 2009, 11:16 PM
I wonder if TakaraTomy will end up releasing Animated in Japan... :p

kup
3rd February 2009, 04:54 PM
I wonder if TakaraTomy will end up releasing Animated in Japan... :p

I am unsure if the style would fly well in Japan. It also appears that Internationally Universe is outselling Animated with the exception of the US.

Wheel-J
3rd February 2009, 05:01 PM
I think it's +4 by now. Permit me to make it +5!

It's been at the top of my want list for months!

Aside from Supreme Omega Supreme, Hasbro bring us also Leader Lugnut!!!

jaydisc
3rd February 2009, 05:13 PM
It also appears that Internationally Universe is outselling Animated with the exception of the US.

According to Hasbro, that's not the case at all. From our Q & A Answers:

16 - Do you have a percentage breakdown of units sold in Australia of Animated, Universe, Movie, and 'Other' to see which is the more popular line?
We had an incredibly strong ‘hangover’ from the 2007 movie products in 2008 and this drove sales well above our expectations for the first half. In the second half of the year Transformers Animated was our primary focus and largest range so this performed best for us vs. Universe, however Universe has performed really well and is not that far behind in sales.

(emphasis mine)

What is your source for contradicting this?

kup
3rd February 2009, 11:01 PM
According to Hasbro, that's not the case at all. From our Q & A Answers:

(emphasis mine)

What is your source for contradicting this?

Its nothing concrete, just overall reactions in international fan communities rather than American dominated ones. This includes what I see selling at stores around my area.

I said "appears" and that is different to fact.

Personal Note: I am not all that convinced on Animated's international success. I have a feeling that Hasbro is referring to US success rather than International which is within the scope of what I mentioned.

GoktimusPrime
4th February 2009, 09:15 AM
I am unsure if the style would fly well in Japan.
I thought Takara wouldn't release Beast Machines in Japan after they ignored it for a few years, but then they eventually did - 5 years later. I have no idea how successful it was... but yeah, even if TakaraTomy ignores Animated for now it doesn't mean that they won't release it a few years later. I'd say if Animated doesn't come out in Japan by 2013 then I'd conclude that they have no interest in releasing it.

jaydisc
4th February 2009, 10:40 AM
Its nothing concrete, just overall reactions in international fan communities rather than American dominated ones. This includes what I see selling at stores around my area.

I said "appears" and that is different to fact.

Personal Note: I am not all that convinced on Animated's international success. I have a feeling that Hasbro is referring to US success rather than International which is within the scope of what I mentioned.

Personally, I think using the public disdain for Animated from a few Geewunners on international forums and appraising the stock levels of a few local Australian toy stores is for from valid criteria for publicly negating Hasbro's direct comments to the contrary.

Perhaps you have read other unsubstantiated statements and that is contributing to your belief that Animated is not doing well?

Whether you use the word "appears" or not, I think you run the risk of disseminating false information with comments like that.

kup
4th February 2009, 10:48 AM
If you say so..but I am still allowed to give my point of view even if it goes against yours.

jaydisc
4th February 2009, 10:56 AM
I don't think we're talking about different points of view, like whether or not you like Animated more than Beast Wars.

Hasbro has clearly stated that Animated was more successful than Universe. You are spreading disinformation on pure conjecture.

kup
4th February 2009, 11:15 AM
My own observations.

I think that I am allowed to express my own POV despite what Hasbro, Tak-Tom, IDW or whoever else has officially stated. At no point did I state anything as fact so it cannot be disinformation.

I will leave it at that.

Paulbot
4th February 2009, 04:28 PM
Moderation note: Yes no more needs to be said. Follow up posts have removed.

The_Damned
4th February 2009, 04:53 PM

AMEN!

STL
4th February 2009, 10:32 PM
The other thing that should be remembered is that Animated is released in far greater numbers than Universe so to see them "shelfwarming" means nada, it's just that there's more of them and after Christmas now, toys aren't moving very fast at all.

i_amtrunks
5th February 2009, 09:12 AM
The other thing that should be remembered is that Animated is released in far greater numbers than Universe so to see them "shelfwarming" means nada, it's just that there's more of them and after Christmas now, toys aren't moving very fast at all.

Should be interesting at Easter, anyone else noticed in the past few years that kiddies are getting toys and DVD's as well as Eggs?

reillyd
5th February 2009, 11:11 AM

I understand what people are posting, but perhaps there is greater variation between certain stores? I can't see any evidence of shelfwarming here on the Gold Coast. The latest waves of activators are all gone. The latest wave of deluxes is selling reasonable numbers. Bumper battlers are almost all gone, even after a new wave. Voyagers are still high, but that's perhaps more due to the economy and price point. Target exclusives of the Voyager+2 Legends packs are gone and I'm really annoyed as I wanted to pick some of them up (bloody kids, thinking toys are for them!)

GoktimusPrime
5th February 2009, 11:17 AM
(bloody kids, thinking toys are for them!)
lol :)