PDA

View Full Version : Will G1 ever be "dethroned"?

GoktimusPrime
27th January 2009, 06:00 PM
From here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=78487):

Will G1 ever get dethroned? :/
Unlikely.

G1 has always been the most popular TF line because:

+ It's the most common denominator in Transfandom. Some fans aren't into Beast Wars, some aren't into G2, some aren't into Beast Machines, some aren't into Animated etc. - but almost every Transfan likes Generation 1.

+ It was the line that gave birth to Transformers and Transfandom. Without G1 nothing else TF would exist. I think G1 will ever remain the fan-favourite TF series just as the original trilogy remains the fan favourite amongst Star Wars fans.

+ G1 was awesome for its time. Transformers reaped US$100,000,000 when it came out in 1984, becoming the most successful toy introduction ever.* Back then, when you picked up a toy like Soundwave, Jazz or Optimus Prime, most fans didn't complain about the lack of articulation or fragility of the toys - they just thought they were great toys and fell in love with them... a love that has endured for 25 years now.

+ Along with the toys was the mythos attached to them which fans also came to love. We had tech specs bios, books, comics, cartoons etc. - some kids preferred the comics others preferred the cartoon... but everyone loved G1. And again, it has endured for a quarter century.

The only way I see that G1 could be dethroned as the fandom's favourite would be for a new TF franchise to come along that gives us a whole new twist on Transformers - not just some "upgrade" of G1 like Armadaverse, the movie franchise and Animated essentially are - and then for the fandom to fall in love with that line to the point where it overtakes their love for G1. The only series that's come close to doing that was Beast Wars. The reason why Beast Wars didn't 'dethrone' G1 though was because, as kup has often pointed out, Beast Wars actually serves to enhance G1 (and G2) - Beast Wars made a lot of people enjoy G1 and G2 on a whole new level! Beast Wars was intentionally written to compliment existing TF canon, not to negate it.

We would have to see something like Beast Wars come along that would actually attempt to supercede G1... but some might argue that part of Beast Wars' success was its ability to maintain G1/G2 fans rather than "fighting" against them, yet still give Transformers an entirely new and fresh direction.

------------------------------
*Schodt, Frederik L., "Manga! Manga! The World of Japanese Comics." Tokyo, Kodansha, 1986.

d*r*j*
27th January 2009, 06:17 PM
I think that with some invesment and the right vision G1 could be blown out of the water. I mean with people my age (around 30) there is a huge sentimental draw towards G1 and all that it embodies.
But most people want to go somewhere further than that...
And what do those people get? A great live action movie to get people's blood racing and movie toys that have no hands (jazz, starscream) have no faces (swindle, clone planes) break easily (bumblebee) have backpacks (voyager prime) or... and this is the really bad one... the main bad guy transforms into... nothing really.
Animated is a joke. Well the show is anyway, saw a few episodes seems to be about some creepy friendship between a little girl and a slightly retarded robot.
It's like no-one wants to even try and out do the mid eighties.

jacksplatt11
27th January 2009, 06:20 PM
seems to be about some creepy friendship between a little girl and a slightly retarded robot.

Hahahahaha

Golden Phoenix
27th January 2009, 06:32 PM
It's all up to opinion.
I think the main reason it wouldn't be dethroned is because it was the original.
Everything is going to be compared to it. It is the start.
Most people just like the original thing, and are usually hostile to change.
So when they do go to make a new series they usually try not to change things way to much.
They learnt that from what happened with beast wars, remember "Truck not monkey"

Hereticpoo
27th January 2009, 06:44 PM
To Dethrone G1:

Every adult fan who grew up watching G1 would have to *ahem* kick the bucket. Touch wood, everybody! :D

Every new fan would have to watch G1 cartoons AFTER seeing a new kick ass CGI version of G1, Final Fantasy movie style, M rated, with kick ass writing by novelists and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and Jerry Seinfeld.

The new toys from said new G1 would have to be perfectly detailed and scaled, cost no more than $40 for ANY figure size and be painted by the Gamesworkshop 'Eavy Metal Team.

And Robot Points :D

Robzy
27th January 2009, 07:51 PM
To Dethrone G1:

Every adult fan who grew up watching G1 would have to *ahem* kick the bucket. Touch wood, everybody! :D

Every new fan would have to watch G1 cartoons AFTER seeing a new kick ass CGI version of G1, Final Fantasy movie style, M rated, with kick ass writing by novelists and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and Jerry Seinfeld.

The new toys from said new G1 would have to be perfectly detailed and scaled, cost no more than $40 for ANY figure size and be painted by the Gamesworkshop 'Eavy Metal Team.

And Robot Points :D
Piece of cake!

roller
27th January 2009, 08:51 PM
it will be superceded one day

Im sure the majority of G1 fans are 20+ yrs and thus will die within the next 50 years

I dont think Beast Wars has done what G1 could do, make people come back to it years and years later when they've grown up. I see people who had every beastwars toy when it first started, nowadays they can't remember what Beast wars is, so i think Beast wars doesnt and will not ever have the nostalgia appeal.

Animated might lure a few people in the future to become fans

GoktimusPrime
27th January 2009, 09:17 PM
The extinction of G1 Transfandom doesn't count as the "dethroning" of G1 btw. :p I'm talking about whether or not something else can ever replace current Transfandom's love for G1 - I believe that was the spirit of jaydisc's question (correct me if I'm wrong jd). Making a new generation of fans like something else is fairly effortless - converting existing fans, especially those of us who grew up with G1 to switch to something else is much harder. Beast Wars came the closest, but never replaced Transfandom's love for G1 - not that BW ever intended to.

Every new fan would have to watch G1 cartoons AFTER seeing a new kick <expletive> CGI version of G1, Final Fantasy movie style, M rated, with kick ass writing by novelists and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and Jerry Seinfeld.

Dude... that's still G1, just reimagined - like the live-action movie, Armadaverse, Animated, IDW Retro-G1 et al. As I said, I think the closest has been Beast Wars - something which was drastically different from G1 and was the second most successful TF franchise next to G1.

Tiby
28th January 2009, 09:33 AM
I think Beast Wars came the closest, and in my book is equal to and in some instances better than G1, but given the way shows are written for kids these days, I doubt anything in future will dethrone G1.

Sky Shadow
28th January 2009, 09:44 AM
I actually believe it was dethroned during the Beast Wars years - in the fandom, Trukk Not Munky fans were the minority. G1 regained its crown after the Beast Wars were over. I think it was probably a combination of Beast Machines not being as great (or for us - even shown on free to air in Australia), G1 DVDs coming out, the Dreamwave comics and - mainly - people who'd been non-fans for fifteen years suddenly feeling nostalgic and getting back into the Transformers they remembered as a kid.

Paulbot
28th January 2009, 12:13 PM
And as Beast Wars fans mature and become more active as collectors I can see it becoming stronger. Many kids watched BW and played with BW toys and they are just getting to the age where they have more disposable income. We've got a few members here that started off with Beast Wars. Give it 15 years and the five year olds watching Animated today won't care about that small, clunky, non-poseable easily broken toys from some 1984 cartoon show.

kup
28th January 2009, 12:36 PM
Yeah the closest thing we have to somthing matching G1 is indeed Beast Wars. It' up there for some of the same reasons as G1 and that is great fiction and excellent toys.

Both G1 and Beast Wars were revolutionary for their time and BW engineering still stands up very well to modern toys, some would say that its superior.

However something else which I have also mentioned earlier that kept Beast Wars from supplanting G1 was its lack of overall variety even though the line as a whole was great. It was just Beasts, of various shapes and forms but that's it. If you weren't into Beast Transformers, then the line had nothing or very little to offer you.

To this date I also believe that the success of G1 is also due to its massive variety which pretty much had something for everyone. They had vehicles modes, Beast modes, gimmick toys, Sci-Fi alt modes, role play toys (Microchange molds) and on and on. Even during the Pretender years there was still a lot of variety as they also had realistic toys such as Headmaster Jnrs (Nightbeat, Siren, Hosehead), Powermasters as well as throwing in bizzare things like Beast Pretenders to keep fans who liked that sort of thing happy. This variety endured until it became a bit thin with late 89-1990 when the line was dominated by Micromasters and Actionmasters killing variety so if you were not into any of those, you were not intrested.

To this date, no other line has been able to offer as much rich variety as G1 did and I think that is a massive contributor to why it lasted for so long even after the TV show was long over.

The only series in my opinion that would 'dethrone' G1 is one which offers that huge variety in its toy line but also offer captivating fiction that most of us can agree to be great. Animated may be loved by many in the fandom but its hardly something which everyone loves as many also hate it due to the many reasons we have already discussed. Although Animated also offers some variety when it comes to alt modes, the stylized designs null that because if you don't like that, then that's it since everything is stylized. In a sense Animated is similar to Beast Wars in which if you don't like the Beast Transformers, you won't like BW in a similar way that if you don't like the stylized designs, you won't like Animated.

Hereticpoo
28th January 2009, 01:04 PM
The extinction of G1 Transfandom doesn't count as the "dethroning" of G1 btw. :p I'm talking about whether or not something else can ever replace current Transfandom's love for G1 - I believe that was the spirit of jaydisc's question (correct me if I'm wrong jd). Making a new generation of fans like something else is fairly effortless - converting existing fans, especially those of us who grew up with G1 to switch to something else is much harder. Beast Wars came the closest, but never replaced Transfandom's love for G1 - not that BW ever intended to.

Dude... that's still G1, just reimagined - like the live-action movie, Armadaverse, Animated, IDW Retro-G1 et al. As I said, I think the closest has been Beast Wars - something which was drastically different from G1 and was the second most successful TF franchise next to G1.

I'm picking up what your putting down Gok, and you're right. Nothing will ever be as loved as the original G1. Transformers IS G1. In story terms the only way something could surpass it sales wise is by being an extension of it or an upgrade of it. The mytho's is sound. There's the goodies, the badies, the disputed ideals and territories, and robots with big guns. Essentially every TF series is the same, different alt modes don't change what the Transformers are. 2 factions, robots with alt modes, differences in ideals. Who knows maybe Plant Wars would surpass it! :D

Transformers cannot be redone drastically. You'll always need at least two factions of sentient robots, you'll always need alt modes and you'll always need a point of conflict. Anything else is not transformers. G1 has it all.

d*r*j*
28th January 2009, 01:22 PM
I also think that g1 drained the concept dry. The first lines and best toys were adapted from previous japanese designs. Everything that comes out after that is just a mutation of the theme.
Unrealistic alt modes ...'86 movie onwards.
Decepticon cars/ Autobot planes... shattered glass eighties style.
Conbiners/ head masters/ jump starters/ Pretenders.

Then animals...

Plus G1 came at a magical time for boy orientated animation. He man, GI Joe, Centurions, Votron, Transformers, Go bots... Even the Turtles, although they came after the golden age.
What do the kids have today? Power Rangers?, Pokemon?, Ben 10?, Animated?... Those other asian power up card type shows?

Or reissues of the good eighties toys? G1 check, Turtles check, GI Joe check... anymore reissues in the house?

GoktimusPrime
28th January 2009, 07:01 PM
However something else which I have also mentioned earlier that kept Beast Wars from supplanting G1 was its lack of overall variety even though the line as a whole was great. It was just Beasts, of various shapes and forms but that's it. If you weren't into Beast Transformers, then the line had nothing or very little to offer you.

To this date I also believe that the success of G1 is also due to its massive variety which pretty much had something for everyone. They had vehicles modes, Beast modes, gimmick toys, Sci-Fi alt modes, role play toys (Microchange molds) and on and on. Even during the Pretender years there was still a lot of variety as they also had realistic toys such as Headmaster Jnrs (Nightbeat, Siren, Hosehead), Powermasters as well as throwing in bizzare things like Beast Pretenders to keep fans who liked that sort of thing happy. This variety endured until it became a bit thin with late 89-1990 when the line was dominated by Micromasters and Actionmasters killing variety so if you were not into any of those, you were not intrested.
G1 never offered true beast modes - merely robotic and cybernetic animals. The closest were the Pretenders' shells... but they don't really count.

And to HasTak's credit, they did offer a good variety of animal modes, especially in the Beast Wars Neo line. And they gave us Cyber Beasts, Transmetals, Fuzors, Mutant Beasts, Transmetal IIs etc.

kup
28th January 2009, 07:04 PM
G1 never offered true beast modes - merely robotic and cybernetic animals. The closest were the Pretenders' shells... but they don't really count.

And to HasTak's credit, they did offer a good variety of animal modes, especially in the Beast Wars Neo line. And they gave us Cyber Beasts, Transmetals, Fuzors, Mutant Beasts, Transmetal IIs etc.

They were still beast modes and did offer variety.

GoktimusPrime
28th January 2009, 07:11 PM
Then technically Beast Wars did offer vehicle modes too, like Transmetal Tarantulas' motorcycle mode and Optimal Optimus' all-terrain vehicle and jet modes etc.

Beast Machines offered the greatest amount of variety with beasts, animals and - as far as the show was concerned - a plant. :)

SilverDragon
28th January 2009, 09:26 PM
I seriously doubt it would be. While it would be interesting if it was, I do not think it ever would.

This is primarily because it's just so iconic. You see it everywhere, and it's about the only incarnation of Transformers that is ever referenced by other works. No other Transformers incarnation has ever been 'bigger' than G1, not even the 2007 movie, since that didn't manage to last for a year, and the toys shelfwarmed like crazy after it left cinemas.

The only way G1 would be dethroned would be if it vanished completely one day-all the toys, cartoons, comics, everything-and everyone somehow forgot it's existence. This is incredibly unlikely (unless some alien comes along and decides to do just that since it's a spiteful bastard), to say the least.

kup
28th January 2009, 09:33 PM
Then technically Beast Wars did offer vehicle modes too, like Transmetal Tarantulas' motorcycle mode and Optimal Optimus' all-terrain vehicle and jet modes etc.

Beast Machines offered the greatest amount of variety with beasts, animals and - as far as the show was concerned - a plant. :)

As I recall, Razorclaw transforms into a lion, a robotic lion but still a lion.

The other 'vehicle' modes in Transmetals are mostly 'in between modes' still largely ruled by their beast modes - eg Rattrap looks like a rat on wheels. There were a few exceptions in which the 'secondary' alt mode was more elaborate with its own unique look aside from the present beast mode but they are very few.

G1 had beast modes. If we say that they do not then we better stop classifying Rampage's crab mode and Depth Charge's manta ray mode as beast modes.

autobreadticon
28th January 2009, 09:43 PM
i reckon Disneyformers will, as soon as there is a Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus crossover

blackie
28th January 2009, 09:48 PM
i reckon Disneyformers will, as soon as there is a Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus crossover

BREAD
your a visionary man
you should be in charge of hasbro, imagine all the money youd make them :P

GoktimusPrime
28th January 2009, 10:08 PM
The only way G1 would be dethroned would be if it vanished completely one day-all the toys, cartoons, comics, everything-and everyone somehow forgot it's existence. This is incredibly unlikely (unless some alien comes along and decides to do just that since it's a spiteful bastard), to say the least.
1995-1996.

The other 'vehicle' modes in Transmetals are mostly 'in between modes' still largely ruled by their beast modes - eg Rattrap looks like a rat on wheels. There were a few exceptions in which the 'secondary' alt mode was more elaborate with its own unique look aside from the present beast mode but they are very few.
Optimal Optimus' vehicle modes were more than just intermediate modes. Also, the Beast Wars II Predacons were predominantly vehicular, albeit primarily repaints of G2 (including unreleased prototypes like Autolauncher and Autojetter) and Machine Wars moulds.

G1 had beast modes. If we say that they do not then we better stop classifying Rampage's crab mode and Depth Charge's manta ray mode as beast modes.
A lot of Japanese fans felt this way, which many people attribute as being the main reason behind Beast Wars Metals' lack of popularity in Japan despite their popularity in Hasbro markets. Beast Wars Neo featured what Japanese fans preferred - more realistic looking beast modes.

kup
28th January 2009, 10:14 PM
1995-1996.

Optimal Optimus' vehicle modes were more than just intermediate modes. Also, the Beast Wars II Predacons were predominantly vehicular, albeit primarily repaints of G2 (including unreleased prototypes like Autolauncher and Autojetter) and Machine Wars moulds.

A lot of Japanese fans felt this way, which many people attribute as being the main reason behind Beast Wars Metals' lack of popularity in Japan despite their popularity in Hasbro markets. Beast Wars Neo featured what Japanese fans preferred - more realistic looking beast modes.

Yeah I know the Japanese felt that way but that doesn't make the robotic 'beast' modes not beast modes. Otherwise the whole Transmetal line will not qualify as beasts and that will be kind of weird and less accurate as what else can we call them? Animalistic robots?

Also let's remember that in the west, there was no Beast Wars II nor Neo so they only had Beast mode characters to choose from.

Paulbot
28th January 2009, 10:56 PM
This thread started out of reaction to the favourite Toy series in the Awards. So let me share some more details.

If you take in to account that Masterpiece, Alternators and Classics lines are all modern versions of G1, than toys of G1 characters actually got 75% of the vote.

Second was Animated with 10%
Followed by Beast Wars with 6%
And in last place: Armada/Superlink, Cybertron/Galaxy Force, and Movie all had 1% of the vote.

All of these other series have G1 references too, and I can't imagine how big a reboot would be needed to get rid of them. The Maximal / Predacon era was a bit status quo upset but the characters had familiar names and soon enough the cartoon was throwing in appearances by G1 characters.

I think Hereticpoo's comment earlier was very true: G1 lays the framework for all that has followed.

STL
28th January 2009, 11:02 PM
Hehehehe, Gok, you beat me to it. Jaydisc's post made me think and put it down as a discussion topic later for one of my Soapboxes but you've beaten me to the punch so I'll lay my thoughts out here.

GOLD! :D :D :D

I think this discussion isn't well defined.

What do we mean by G1? The cartoon? The toys? A concept? A combination of all of the above?

G1 as a toyline will be succeeded. The vintage collector dies and vintage collecting rests more and more on nostalgia. Sometimes the engineering and uniqueness carries forth like with the combiners but 90% of time it is nostaliga driven. That dries up as has been said with new generations and why settle on old fragile toys when you can have sparkly new sleek and articulated toys?

G1 as a cartoon. This is invariably contentious. G1 was a mixed bag. It had moments of brilliance but then it has moments that are quite cringeworthy. Watching it requires a suspension of belief and that may become harder as newer fans will be grow up on the movie or more recently cartoons. There will be in all eventuality a better cartoon.

G1 as a concept. This is harder to define but at some point we've got to see that G1 is no longer a toyline or a cartoon. It is far more than that. It has transformed, pun unintended, into the root of all transformers. Anything that has come since and will ever come will have its root and relevance in G1. And there's a certain inevitability to that. G1 will and cannot be proceeded b/c Prime will always be a truck. Megatron will always be his arch nemesis. Starscream will forever be the schemer. Bumblebee is the young punk that the audience is supposed to identify with. What you build around that will always be at the discretion of the writers but those concepts are intrinsic to the Transformers franchise.

Secondly it is in Hasbro's interests to build off the past to establish brand. It can only be done over generations and generations with the same characters and conflicts. BB will always be a sleek yellow car. Ratchet will be a medic. Ironhide a toughnut. Prime a truck. Megatron a vehicle of destruction. Starscream a jet. By doing this, Hasbro and Takara establish a brand with longevity - a brand that will outlast us and even those in charge right now. G1 is a very large part of that.

Beast Wars may have been an excellent cartoon, probably the best, but as a toyline it does not offer the diversity that you got in G1. It doesn't carry that nostalgia for this present generation and nor does it seem to be a large part of Hasbro's development of the franchise. For that reason, as loved as it may be by a niche, it at most can only ever be a G1 supplement. It has no legs.

G1 cannot be dethroned as a "concept". Perhaps I've used the wrong term but in its entirety G1 represents the core of all Transformers. Parts may be added to it that supplement it but it will never be superceded.

That to me is a bit sad as I'd like to see something new in Transformers, an all new direction but the business of toys and developing a brand require differently. G1 is and will always be a constant in Transformers in one form or another.

Paulbot
28th January 2009, 11:08 PM
It doesn't carry that nostalgia for this present generation and nor does it seem to be a large part of Hasbro's development of the franchise.

As I said earlier I think there are a few members here because they watched Beast Wars on The Big Breakfast at the same age I watched the original cartoon on The Early Bird Show. If you were five when you watched Beast Wars you'd be 15/6 now. I can see those fans coming to TF online fandom at the same age a majority of members of this board have.

STL
28th January 2009, 11:12 PM
As I said earlier I think there are a few members here because they watched Beast Wars on The Big Breakfast at the same age I watched the original cartoon on The Early Bird Show. If you were five when you watched Beast Wars you'd be 15/6 now. I can see those fans coming to TF online fandom at the same age a majority of members of this board have.
Let's dig this thread up in 5 years. That'd be a virtual time capsule. :D

TheDirtyDigger
29th January 2009, 12:07 AM
Watching it requires a suspension of belief and that may become harder as newer fans will be grow up on the movie or more recently cartoons.

It's 'suspension of disbelief' mate. Don't worry, everyone gets this wrong.

Although we don't have the hard statistics in front of us I'm sure that G1 Cartoon was far more popular than Beast Wars in terms of interest, licensed products, media, numbers etc etc.

G1 wont be dethroned until something like....

a new kick ass CGI version of G1, Final Fantasy movie style, M rated, with kick ass writing by novelists and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and Jerry Seinfeld.

The new toys from said new G1 would have to be perfectly detailed and scaled, cost no more than $40 for ANY figure size and be painted by the Gamesworkshop 'Eavy Metal Team.....comes along.

jaydisc
29th January 2009, 02:34 AM
To me, G1 is like racism. The older and more stubborn you are, the more likely you are to practice it, and it'll take generations to breed out. :p

GoktimusPrime
29th January 2009, 11:18 AM
Yeah I know the Japanese felt that way but that doesn't make the robotic 'beast' modes not beast modes.
You're right, but I initially said "true" beast modes. Robotic and cybernetic beast modes aren't "true" realistic beast modes.

At the OzFormers 2003 convention when we had the Beast Wars toy diorama on display, Jhiaxus and I saw some youngin's come up to the diorama and talk about Beast Wars with the same nostalgia that fans our age would talk about G1. Jhiaxus turned to me and said, "You know we're getting old when we're hearing these guys talk about Beast Wars in a nostalgic way!" - and it was so true...

Now I often drop TF quotes when I'm talking IRL and I made a Beast Wars reference in the middle of a Year 10 class last year and one boy immediately recognised it as Beast Wars, and started talking about Beast Wars with a tone of fond nostalgia in his voice! Now considering that I was in uni when BW came out... that made me feel thoroughly ancient! :p

I wouldn't go as far as to say that BW dethroned G1, but it's the closest we've ever seen to a dethroning of G1 thus far IMO. :)

roller
29th January 2009, 04:41 PM

I think there will be a few people lured soley from Beast Wars

but i don't think it will be as large a group as G1

People who grew up with Beast Warzez also grew up with PC games and internet and other distractions, in 1984 you guys had toys, cartoons and comics and crappy floppy disc computers-Less distractions more time to focus on toy, thus leading to nostalia and spending on toys now that your 30

i was like 7 or somewhere when the monkey animal- formers came out

it was a hit for a year or 2 then it died, i see people who are the same age and they can't remember what beast wars was, even though they owned all the primo toys that i couldn't buy.

thats my point of view

I always thought i would be the coolest in school when Beast wars and the 2007 came out, i was the only person in my generation to like Tfs hardcore in primary and Highschool, alas

Lint
29th January 2009, 10:00 PM
I have to agree with roller here. I only know one other person, independent of this fan community, who was really into beast wars. He loved the series (i couldn't even bear to watch it at the time :p) but he doesn't get nostalgic about it or anything.

G1 was a craze. If you were a hermit senior citizen living back in the day, you would have known what a transformer was by the end of the 80's. G1 was so awesome that I got a conehead on my first birthday. The risk of me choking to death obviously did not outweight it's inherent awesomeness.

kup
29th January 2009, 10:50 PM
From what I saw, Beast Wars was a craze and there a several members here who remember it nostalgically and I have also come across fans who are no longer active but also remember it as such. We even have a member who specializes in just the BW line.

When I meet a fan and sometimes a person who has general geeky tendencies, he almost always remembers Beast Wars fondly, particularly if they were at a school age when it came out.

When I was in high school (year 9) I got introduced to Beast Wars not by me being a fan and following the line as back then I thought Transformers ended with G1 and was barely aware of G2 but by my school friends who introduced me to it - It came to me I didn't have to go to it.

Naturally if you ask the general jock types who were only into sports and stuff, they are mostly not going to remember Beast Wars or any other series that wasn't sports and cars related but for others who were less mainstream as far as Australian sporting culture goes it is. Most kids are into mainstream sports because most of their peers are such as Footy, Cricket, etc. They are rarely into other things because it is often frowned upon and unlike internationally communities, often there are too few 'geeks' in a school for them to form their own communities - I was lucky in that regard at my school but as I moved to other schools and worked in a school, I saw how mainstream the 'sports' culture was and how tiny the geeks groups were generally as well as how 'timid' geeks were to express themselves even among each other.

Beast Wars is also noticeably strong in areas where there are significant geek populations such as the Americas, Europe and Asia. You don't see it in Australia as much because the geek communities here are much, much smaller or at least more subtle while the general population usually center around sporting or other more 'mainstream' activities.

Look at it this way, if BW had not made its impact, why are they releasing toys from that line or inspired by it every so often?

Yeah its nostalgia is not as large as G1 but it is significantly large and that is why the argument remains that Beast Wars is only second to G1 and significantly exceeds everything else.

GoktimusPrime
29th January 2009, 11:26 PM
Yeah but don't forget that Australia's population is puny... I don't know if we necessarily have a smaller proportion of "nerds" per capita in our population.

liegeprime
29th January 2009, 11:29 PM
G1 was so awesome that I got a conehead on my first birthday. The risk of me choking to death obviously did not outweight it's inherent awesomeness.

Lets just say your one of the rational, intelligent kids :p, unlike the idiotic dorks nowadays that THAT LAW is trying to protect, which is why, it was passed in the first place. :p Let's just say there's plenty of stupidity going on around nowadays that we'd prefer....

As for teh thread's Question, here's my simple answer.. NEVAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2009, 10:39 AM
G1 was so awesome that I got a conehead on my first birthday. The risk of me choking to death obviously did not outweight it's inherent awesomeness.

Lets just say your one of the rational, intelligent kids , unlike the idiotic dorks nowadays that THAT LAW is trying to protect, which is why, it was passed in the first place. Let's just say there's plenty of stupidity going on around nowadays that we'd prefer....
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/th_darwinismaction.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/darwinismaction.jpg) :D (j/kz) :)

There's also the fact that Dirge and Ramjet don't have firing launchers. Thrust does, but like all G1 launchers the springs were extremely weak - only designed to hold the missiles in place.

liegeprime
30th January 2009, 04:10 PM
There's also the fact that Dirge and Ramjet don't have firing launchers. Thrust does, but like all G1 launchers the springs were extremely weak - only designed to hold the missiles in place.

You'd be surprised how an idiot can choke to death even on that note...:D It's why the law got passed. Common sense isn't a common thing after all...:p

roller
30th January 2009, 05:10 PM
More importantly

when are we going to see a continuation of G1 and i dont mean spin offs like Classics

Wheres my Actionmasters comic hasbro?

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2009, 05:48 PM
Wheres my Actionmasters comic hasbro?
Here (http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/covers/us69.jpg), here (http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/covers/us70.jpg), here (http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/covers/us72.jpg), here (http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/covers/us74.jpg), here (http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/covers/us75.jpg), here (http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/covers/us76.jpg), here (http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/covers/us77.jpg), here (http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/covers/us78.jpg) and here (http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/covers/us80.jpg).

roller
31st January 2009, 12:18 AM
ngggggggggggggggggggggg

Marvel Comics, it goes Optimus,optimus,optimus,optimus,Ratchet,OPtimus,op timus,Optimus,Unicron,Optimus,Megatron,Optimus,Gri mlock,Grimlock,Optimus

Nah, id like a comic featureing the upgrade from G1 to G2 focusing on newer characters.

They could still do G1 now, Frank Welker and Cullen is all you need, the rest can be new cast/characters

GoktimusPrime
31st January 2009, 09:17 AM
Actually, Grimlock was the most prominent Action Master shown in the comics. Action Master Prime only appears for one issue. And Action Master Ratchet?!? (O_o)

Sky Shadow
31st January 2009, 10:57 AM
Actually, Grimlock was the most prominent Action Master shown in the comics. Action Master Prime only appears for one issue. And Action Master Ratchet?!? (O_o)

Krok, Rad, Rollout and Treadshot were also around in those issues (presumably they could transform at this point, although they were never shown to have that ability) and the Decepticons seemed to be building Action Masters Devastator in TFUK #264:

http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/5/57/Devastator_rebuild.png

(Edited because I'm numerically challenged.)

GoktimusPrime
31st January 2009, 03:28 PM
Decepticons seemed to be building Action Masters Devastator in TFUK #266:
#264 (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Desert_Island_Risks!). :)