PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new board, again...

griffin
28th December 2007, 02:09 PM
Well, here we are - Ozformers Ver 4.1 :)

Get a feel for the place, and post here or message me if you find any bugs or have any suggestions.
There are a number of things I am still working on, such as colour and icons, but the priority at the moment is getting everyone across and activated.

Since this new board is on my website server, I don't know what it's capacity is with usage and number of visitors. If it is down for any period of time (like, more than a few minutes), email me (griffin @ otca.com.au)

Also, I've tried to block any guest postings to this board, but if any sneaky spammers manage to post something, let one of the board staff know.

griffin
29th December 2007, 05:22 PM
I've been adding people's post count from the old board, but if you are wanting to start from zero on this new board, let me know.

griffin
29th December 2007, 07:08 PM
The issue about not being able to put pictures in the siggie files should be fixed now. Had to find and change the settings for it. People waiting to be activated may have to wait until they are activated before they can upload or see their siggie pics or avatars.

Borgeman
29th December 2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks griff :)

one more thing, does this site ever allow you to change your alias?

George

roller
29th December 2007, 10:09 PM
ahhhhhhhhh its sooooo blue

Now listen up heres the story about a little man who lives in a blue world and all day and all night everything is blue

blue da ba de ba da di

iceburn
29th December 2007, 11:48 PM

Now listen up heres the story about a little man who lives in a blue world and all day and all night everything is blue

blue da ba de ba da di

nice song to bring up :P

griffin
30th December 2007, 12:43 AM
Ah, can always rely on roller to say the most bizarre comments... :)

George - do you mean your registered board name that appears on your posts etc? If so, I'd have to look into it, but should be possible because you and your profile is basically in the database as a number (your member number), and every other detail should theoretically be changable.
It was possible on the old board, so I'd expect it here as well.

Edit - just checked, and I can edit users' names, if that was what you were referring to.

griffin
30th December 2007, 12:46 AM
Oh, and the thing with the colours - it can be a very lengthy process to change colours, because even if you are wanting to change a single background colour, you then have to go and edit any lettering colours and link colours that may not be readable. There are literally dozens of different text and link elements on a messageboard, so it can often be a time consuming juggling act just to initially change one colour.

Borgeman
30th December 2007, 01:00 AM
ok thanks griff - i dont want to change it atm, but i wanted to know for future reference :)

George

Trailer Park Ninja
30th December 2007, 11:38 AM
I like the new board, it looks very modern and spiffy. If it is that much trouble changing colours, why fix something if it ain't broke? Besides the blue colour scheme has a very soothing effect and is very theuraptic in trying to stay sane in a post-modern world :D

http://www.squidoo.com/colorexpert

Blue is the overwhelming "favorite color." Blue is seen as trustworthy, dependable and committed. The color of sky and the ocean, blue is perceived as a constant in our lives. As the collective color of the spirit, it invokes rest and can cause the body to produce chemicals that are calming

roller
30th December 2007, 12:16 PM
hate to burst societys bubble but the saying 'Why fix something if its not broken' is impossible, you can't fix something if its not broken, but you can change/alter it.

from now on im wearing blue when i go to talk to the ladies :D

E|dan
30th December 2007, 05:52 PM
hello!!!!!! i am here!

Trailer Park Ninja
30th December 2007, 06:45 PM
...from now on im wearing blue when i go to talk to the ladies :D

Hey, let us know how if it works lol :D

NEMESIS PRIME
30th December 2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the help with geting my account griffin! i like the colour of this board!:cool:

1orion2many
31st December 2007, 10:02 AM
:)Alright I'm active:D.

benben2142
1st January 2008, 11:11 AM
Why can't I be a monorator?

iceburn
1st January 2008, 12:55 PM

Because you can't transform, don't have wheel or ability to accept electricity to move like the monorail in Sentosa Singapore. Monorator = driver of the monorail???

GoktimusPrime
1st January 2008, 02:38 PM
Mon is an Austroasiatic language used chiefly in Burma in the vicinity of Moulmein and an orator is someone who speaks. So obviously benben wants to learn how to speak that particular Burmese dialect. I wouldn't recommend studying abroad there as an exchange student or anything until the political climate settles down. :/ But don't worry benben, I'm sure your Burmese will be as fluent as this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OuIntWr-ag) in no time! :)

Also...

English speaker = Anglorator
French speaker = Francorator
Chinese speaker = Sinorator
Japanese speaker = Nihongorator
German speaker = Deutschorator
Latvian speaker = Lettorator
Spanish speakers = TacoBellorator *ducks*
Speakers of a language that sounds fancy but nobody speaks (e.g.: Elvish) = Decorator
Esperanto speaker = Nobodygivesacraporator

roller
1st January 2008, 04:56 PM
Ben is a teenage dirt bag baby

iceburn
1st January 2008, 05:50 PM
Mon is an Austroasiatic language used chiefly in Burma in the vicinity of Moulmein and an orator is someone who speaks. So obviously benben wants to learn how to speak that particular Burmese dialect. I wouldn't recommend studying abroad there as an exchange student or anything until the political climate settles down. :/ But don't worry benben, I'm sure your Burmese will be as fluent as this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OuIntWr-ag) in no time! :)

Also...

English speaker = Anglorator
French speaker = Francorator
Chinese speaker = Sinorator
Japanese speaker = Nihongorator
German speaker = Deutschorator
Latvian speaker = Lettorator
Spanish speakers = TacoBellorator *ducks*
Speakers of a language that sounds fancy but nobody speaks (e.g.: Elvish) = Decorator
Esperanto speaker = Nobodygivesacraporator

haha you sounded like the dad in Muriel's Wedding

DigDug
1st January 2008, 07:02 PM
Ben is a teenage dirt bag baby

Like you??? (wooo-oh-oooo-oh) :p

Edit: I'm active at last! There goes the neighbourhood :)

kup
2nd January 2008, 01:16 AM
I prefer the old colors but if its too hard to change the color scheme in this board I can get used to the blues.
________
Yz465 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_YZ465)

Scattershot
2nd January 2008, 08:51 AM
Hey, new board is looking great! Well done.

Bartrim
2nd January 2008, 09:02 AM
Nice new board to start the new year.

Saintly
2nd January 2008, 04:39 PM
takes abit getting used to with the quick post button! but the page seems to load up much quicker

Fizzer
2nd January 2008, 05:59 PM
Hey guys woot the Fizz is here good job on the site guys. :)

sifun
2nd January 2008, 06:00 PM

blue da ba de ba da di

When I listened to that song, I thought he went "I'm blue, i'm in need of a man, i'm in need of a man"

lol Anyway, I like the new board address, nice and easy to remember.
Maybe we should start archiving the old board, and close it off so people will be redirected here.

Soundwarp
2nd January 2008, 06:55 PM
What the hell.......

I'm gone for like 5 minutes and now i'm confused.

No no i'm not back i am just here to look and i got lost.

G1Optimal
2nd January 2008, 09:21 PM
I just logged in.....

Thanks again griffin :D

NEMESIS PRIME
2nd January 2008, 09:26 PM
LOL:rolleyes:

jaydisc
4th January 2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks for everything Griffin.

Personally, I find the notification systems of this board and the last a bit challenging... in different ways.

On the old board, I could subscribe to a specific forum for INSTANT email notification. This was great for the Yard Sale forum to be notified quickly of any new sales. On the new board, only a daily digest is available for this purpose. RSS would be the perfect solution here.

With the old board, if you chose Instant Daily Notification for a specific topic, by default you'd only get one email per topic per visit to that topic. So you were forced to go to the board every time you got a notification if you wanted to get another.

However, you could change your settings to included the content posted in the instant email notification. This meant you'd get the full content in the email, and you would continue to get notifications for ALL topics ALL day just for one visit to the board.

Just thought I'd mention it in case some of these things are simply disabled at some admin level.

TheDirtyDigger
7th January 2008, 01:12 PM
This new board is cool. Colours are easy on the eyes and the pages load quick.

Just wondering where we see what our member number is.
I'm guessing I'm not at number 1?

Saintly
7th January 2008, 01:21 PM
Just wondering where we see what our member number is.
I'm guessing I'm not at number 1?

you're #71...

put mouse cursor over your nickname and look at the statusbar... you'll see a link which looks like http://www.otca.com.au/boards/member.php?u=71

just change that 71 to 1 to see who's got #1 :) and so on and so forth

Paulbot
7th January 2008, 01:57 PM
How do we already have 71 members??

Saintly
7th January 2008, 02:10 PM
How do we already have 71 members??

Dunno :)

Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia Statistics http://www.otca.com.au/boards/images/misc/stats.gifThreads: 120, Posts: 1,211, Members: 69, Active Members: 69
Welcome to our newest member, TheDirtyDigger (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/member.php?u=71)

2 unvalidated... I'm guessing #68 is one of them... not sure of the other (I didn't go all the way back to #1)

EDIT: .... but I did get to #48 which says invalid user~

iceburn
7th January 2008, 02:28 PM
#48 and #38 are invalid too....
phew...did take awhile to run through

TheDirtyDigger
7th January 2008, 02:46 PM
71!!!!!:mad:

I tried so hard to be member #69 too.:(

Paulbot
7th January 2008, 02:57 PM
Maybe it's because I've been playing Pokemon Diamond so much lately, but I see all these ID numbers mentioned and it makes me think about a Pokedex. Ozformers, gotta catch 'em all! :D

dirge
7th January 2008, 04:22 PM
Like any board, we've got out registered lurkers and semi lurkers like Onoj (who I believe is yet to post on this board, but does post on occasion).

Plus there's the 14 attempted registrations by Saber Prime/the doctor!

Borgeman
7th January 2008, 05:27 PM
isnt there any way to fully restrict rego to griff, so only true registrations are included? id hate to see the member number balloon again - on the old board i was member 598 and joined dec 06, and the newest member was number 6509!!!!

nearly 6000 regos in a yr :/

George

iceburn
7th January 2008, 10:21 PM
sorry to be dumb..what's a rego?

GoktimusPrime
7th January 2008, 10:37 PM
Registration. Australians don't like words with more than two syllables so they're often contracted to 1 or 2 syllables - usually with "-ie" on the end but "Reggie" is already a contraction for "Reginald" so it's contracted as "rego" instead.

e.g.
registration -> rego
vegetables -> vegies
underwear -> undies

...it gets weirder in Japanese...
Transformers (Toransufoomaa) -> Torafo
Starscream (Sutaasukuriimu) -> Sutasuku

griffin
8th January 2008, 04:08 AM
Either the spammers haven't found this new board, or the registration process blocks them a lot better than the old board did.
Saber didn't try to register 14 times. Only twice before I told him not to. Those are the two invalidated numbers. Everyone one else as of this posting is a current, active member. Still an impressive number (70 active members), considering they all registered here within just 2 weeks, from a single topic on the old board mentioning the new location.

stencilator
8th January 2008, 08:01 AM
Hey Hey, I'm in... and I like!

Thanks Griffin.:)

iceburn
8th January 2008, 09:11 AM
Erm i'm currently using Firefox and having problems with the pop-ups when someone PMs you..is there any fix to this???

jaydisc
8th January 2008, 09:50 AM
Erm i'm currently using Firefox and having problems with the pop-ups when someone PMs you..is there any fix to this???

Define "problems". You should know better Mr. Tester ;)

I suspect you have to implicitly tell Firefox to permit popups from the new site.

Paulbot
8th January 2008, 10:34 AM
I use Firefox too but haven't had popups blocked, rather I haven't seen any notification of PMs other than the number changing at the top of screen. I also don't get email notifications about them, but I assume both are settings I have to manually set and haven't.

iceburn
8th January 2008, 10:42 AM
Figured out the problem...its pop-ups. Both paul and jaydisc are perfect testers.
Was awake this morning and didn't really see the actual fault. me bad

grrrr [benben, 2008]

jaydisc
8th January 2008, 10:45 AM
In hindsight, it seems that the popups are actually JavaScript dialog boxes, not popup windows, so that might assist others in debugging.

Tober
11th January 2008, 02:40 AM
A belated thanks for the new home Griffin! :D

A problem though:

I'm not receiving email notifications for subscribed topics and I can't find anything wrong that I'm doing? :o

Do you get notifications for subscribed threads straight away like tho old board or not? I just dont like missing out on 'important' threads like group buy info etc.

Small problems:

Is it easy to change the smilies back to the ones we had on the other board - I liked them more :P

Is it difficult to impliment a small icon for this site like you see in most browser address bars? I can create it if you give me the specs.

griffin
11th January 2008, 03:06 AM
I'll have a look at those things you mentioned. Some are admin settings I have to have locate and see what options I have to play with. Not sure about the addressbar icon though, but I'll have a look.

kup
11th January 2008, 05:30 AM
I also don't get popups for PMs. I only notice them when I see a 1 New message on my Inbox.
________
Free X Rated Videos (http://www.fucktube.com/)

iceburn
11th January 2008, 07:34 AM
I also don't get popups for PMs. I only notice them when I see a 1 New message on my Inbox.

kup..its a setting you have to enabled

1. Click User CP
2. Click Edit Options
3. Under Private Messaging frame, ensure both checkboxes are ticked
- Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages
- Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up

Hope that helps.

A belated thanks for the new home Griffin! :D

A problem though:

I'm not receiving email notifications for subscribed topics and I can't find anything wrong that I'm doing? :o

Do you get notifications for subscribed threads straight away like tho old board or not? I just dont like missing out on 'important' threads like group buy info etc.

Tober, your situation is the same:

1. Click User CP
2. Click Edit Options
3. Under Default Thread Subscription Mode, you can select these few options:
- Do not subscribe
- No email notification
- Instant email notification
- Daily email notification
- Weekly email notification

GoktimusPrime
11th January 2008, 09:24 AM
The board sometimes stalls on me when I'm either posting a quick reply or editting a post.

Saintly
11th January 2008, 09:30 AM
like flood controls?

jaydisc
11th January 2008, 09:35 AM
The board sometimes stalls on me when I'm either posting a quick reply or editting a post.

As both of those functions are JavaScript/AJAX, I'd say your issue is a computer performance or network issue.

Tober
11th January 2008, 11:49 AM
kup..its a setting you have to enabled

Tober, your situation is the same:

D'oh! They hid it in the middle of the screen :o

Thanks Iceburn! :)

kup
11th January 2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks Iceburn
________
Fuck tube tv (http://www.fucktube.com/video/33930/hubby-gives-his-woman-s-pussy-some-love-while-watching-tv)

jaydisc
15th January 2008, 04:14 PM
The old board [i think] had an ability to ignore a user. This board doesn't seem to have it. Could it possibly simply be disabled at an admin level?

Saintly
15th January 2008, 09:12 PM
The old board [i think] had an ability to ignore a user. This board doesn't seem to have it. Could it possibly simply be disabled at an admin level?

I've also been wondering where that went! too difficult to parse a user

iceburn
15th January 2008, 09:26 PM

kup and tober..no worries

another call to the rescue....
jay, click on User CP, look down the menu under Miscellaneous > Buddy / Ignore List and click on that

There are two frames
1. Buddy List
2. Ignore List

You just have to type the initial or some of the person's nick e.g. Ice and then the system will auto-find a match and you can click 'Enter' on your keyboard, followed by clicking 'Save List' button.

Person to be ignored e.g. Iceburn's posting will be ignored in all threads...

liegeprime
15th January 2008, 09:35 PM
um so how do you know what your new member number is? Sorry ,this may have been asked earlier and may be simple to some, but Im just lazy to read all the thread through and through.

iceburn
15th January 2008, 09:37 PM
um so how do you know what your new member number is? Sorry ,this may have been asked earlier and may be simple to some, but Im just lazy to read all the thread through and through.

many ways but just to stay on this screen
right click on your nick, select properties and view the number at the end of the link. yours is #60

liegeprime
15th January 2008, 09:47 PM
woohooo a definite number not hanging one heheheh (e.g 67 or 33, no offense to these member numbers) and thanks Iceburn!:D:D

jaydisc
15th January 2008, 10:16 PM
another call to the rescue....

Excellent. Thank you!

Saintly
16th January 2008, 12:02 PM
thank iceburn. our resident helpdesk :)

iceburn
16th January 2008, 12:43 PM
hahaha....