PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Crossovers: G.I. Joe

GoktimusPrime
1st February 2009, 09:09 PM
Why doesn't Hasbro give us a TF:G.I.Joe Crossover toyline? Forget Star Wars, Marvel, Disney etc. - G.I. Joe and Transformers have officially crossed over canonically on multiple occasions - G1, G2 and retro-G1. Okay, Marvel has as well, but no where to the same extent...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/tfgijoe.jpg

SofaMan
1st February 2009, 09:13 PM
Though if I did, I'd probably want them to be the GI Joe/VENOM versions of TF characters, rather than giant transforming versions of GI Joe characters.

iceburn
1st February 2009, 09:13 PM
a big yes...since there was the comics...y not do a crossover one...
moreover, this can be the start of actual joe-size figures that's related to Transformers.

liegeprime
1st February 2009, 09:45 PM
I believe this was already asked in one of those submitted questions for the month to Hasbro, with their answers in the lines of not confusing the general public ( as if duh!?) with regards to the two lines. An answer which I thought was a cop out since e.g. Star wars and TF crossovered so Im not entirely convinced. But meh go have some fun with the polls:p

roller
1st February 2009, 11:03 PM
no

i dont know anything about GI joe

i have a few comics-the g2 crossover comic and the more recent ones from Darkhorse i think

They are ok, but i feel as though that Cobra commander guy is a try hard impersonating starscream its like Chris latta didnt even try and change his voice

I think its silly that the G2 comics were introduced in GI joe, making it a bad jumping on point for potential new readers when they read issue 1 of G2... "Read GI Joe comics to find out what the heck is going on, even though this is meant to be our first issue"

and so forth

griffin
1st February 2009, 11:04 PM
The wording of one of their answers suggests that they will review it AFTER the two movies this year, but the focus and priority at the moment is on the toys for those two movies.

Lord_Zed
1st February 2009, 11:27 PM
Snowcat is already virtualy a Gi Joe crossover, I keep waiting for Tiger Force Snowcat to be released.

If they did make Gi Joe Transfomers. Deluxes should be TF scaled Autobots and Decepticons who turn into vehicles with Joe mini figures who can ride in the cockpit, and Voyagers should be GI Joe standard size figures who come with a TF that turns into a bikes, trouble bubble or other small vehicle they can ride.

GoktimusPrime
1st February 2009, 11:27 PM
IMO Transformers crossed over with G.I. Joe would canonically make way more sense than crossing over with Star Wars and Marvel. As I said before, Marvel has crossed over with Transformers before, but not in the way that the toyline presents it... the fiction that the Marvel crossovers provides is not in-canon with Transformers nor any other Marvel universe - i.e.: Spider-Man doesn't ride around a motorbike that transforms into mecha (how could he even afford to maintain it?!). Hulk not know how to drive tank-bot. Hulk not need tank-bot! :p Um... Thor's a God... verily. d:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Famous%20Covers/th_cover_003.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Famous%20Covers/cover_003.jpg)

Iron-Man comes the closest because he did construct a giant Transformer-sized "Decepticon Buster" armour. It never transformed, but it would be conceivable that Tony Stark could upgrade his armour to make it transform into a jet to better allow him to fight Decepticons. That's why Iron-Man has been the only Marvel TF that I've bothered to buy - the rest of the line doesn't interest me.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Famous%20Covers/th_cover_avengersvtf3.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Famous%20Covers/cover_avengersvtf3.jpg)

Snowcat is already virtualy a Gi Joe crossover, I keep waiting for Tiger Force Snowcat to be released.
So true!! :D They could easily reissue that toy as part of a TF/G.I. Joe crossover - possibly with Tiger Force colours to distinguish it from the original Energon figure!

If they did make Gi Joe Transfomers. Deluxes should be TF scaled Autobots and Decepticons who turn into vehicles with Joe mini figures who can ride in the cockpit, and Voyagers should be GI Joe standard size figures who come with a TF that turns into a bikes, trouble bubble or other small vehicle they can ride.
Hmm... as a TF fan I would definitely agree with the former - make them like Star Wars Transformers and give them miniature Joe/Cobra partners.

Cobra Commander w/ Megatron as a G2-style tank would be awesomes - and Broadside as the U.S.S. Flagg... yeah!

Omega Supreme
1st February 2009, 11:36 PM
Id be keen if they could have the Joes ride inside them. I understand that would make them quite large, but that would only further add to the appeal of them for me :)

autobreadticon
2nd February 2009, 12:37 AM
There was that Titanium Megatron which Dirge gave his lowest review score too :D

Defcon
2nd February 2009, 07:55 AM
This is a cool topic. I would be interested in a GI JOE crossovers line. When I was a kid my favourite toys were Lego and Transformers. I liked GI JOE for the vehicles, I did not buy any, hey but I was interested. It would be very cool if they made them into transformers, and like someone else said have mini figures you could place inside them. I dislike the other crossovers lines especially their heads. It would be a better concept to have normal bot heads and even make them subtly similar to popular Transformers Characters. Have a Megatron or Optimus Prime head as example.

GoktimusPrime
2nd February 2009, 10:33 AM
There was that Titanium Megatron which Dirge gave his lowest review score too
*shudder* That is a crap toy, even by Titanum Series standards (I find all 15cm Titanium Series TFs to be really lame TF action figures). I'd like to see that vehicle done with better engineering.

Snowcat was done well - the only modification they need is to make the cockpit open and close and give it a pilot. The original mould already has a cockpit! I don't know if the seats would need to be remoulded to allow a pilot to sit there, or they could easily just engineer the pilot figurine to fit into the existing seats. :) But even the existing mould is so much better than any other Crossover TF out there - and I think the reason for that is because the robot mode isn't attempting to look like Frostbite (http://www.yojoe.com/action/85/frostbite.shtml). One my biggest gripes with Star Wars Transformers (and Crossovers now) is Hasbro's insistence on making the robot modes look like the pilots. It just looks stupid most of the time and also places a massive creative restraint on the design of the toy. Making the toy hold a pilot in both modes is hard enough (although this doesn't apply to Marvel TFs) but to make it look like its character-pilot in robot mode really places a big restraint over how they can design the robot mode and engineer the transformation. I've always believed that Crossover TFs would be much better toys if they didn't have that restriction and just allowed designers to make the robots look like - ya know - TRANSFORMERS. ;)

Snowcat's robot mode pretty much blends in with the Energon/Super Link line because the robot just looks like a regular Transformer - it's not trying to look like a human being (Frostbite). Gah!!

So yeah, while I would love to see a TF/G.I. Joe crossover I would much rather see it done like Snowcat and not like Star Wars and Marvel Crossovers where the robot mode design and transformation engineering are compromised because the robot mode has to look like a human. (-_-)

I dislike the other crossovers lines especially their heads. It would be a better concept to have normal bot heads and even make them subtly similar to popular Transformers Characters. Have a Megatron or Optimus Prime head as example.
Exactly! And it's not just the head, but the entire body too. Darth Vader/Death Star pales in comparison with other planetformers because it transforms from a grey ball into a black humanoid with a cape. Primus is the best engineered planetformer because there was no restrictions placed on the robot mode (cosmetically). As a result they could make Primus look like whatever they wanted in robot mode and therefore had greater freedom with engineering the transformation; and so Primus is the least shellformerish of the planetformers with Vader/Death Star being the most shellformerish.

Unicron is semi-shellformerish but that's because they were restricted with trying to make Unicron look like his G1 form in both planet and robot modes, which was a big challenge. And it was a necessary challenge because the toy was a G1 tribute - so I think Unicron was well designed considering what they were trying to do.

STL
2nd February 2009, 10:58 PM
I just love the engineering involved. Its definitely not a fiction thing. Honestly, they could make Transformers Battlestar Galactica and I'd buy it. And I have an unhealthy love of futuristic vehicles/military vehicles so I'd absolutely love GIJOE TFs.

Lord_Zed
2nd February 2009, 11:12 PM
Generaly speaking the Transfomers crossover line is more a Transformers toy than a Marvel or Star Wars one. I still think it would be really cool to see a hybrid action figure and transformer team up, kinda like that Ehobby Perceptor with the Microman. I almost bought Oil Slick cause I thought his alt mode would be a good bike for a Dreadnok.

How about Transfomers MASK crossover? If Matt Tracker can join Gi Joe, surely the MASK Vehicles could become Transformers. :D
http://blog.newsok.com/nerdage/files/2008/10/trakker_01__scaled_600.jpg

loophole
2nd February 2009, 11:19 PM
I voted no as i never got into GI Joe i vaguely remember the animated movie but overall doesnt really interest me. I was too busy playing with my Transformers to care about GI Joe :p

STL
2nd February 2009, 11:19 PM
Generaly speaking the Transfomers crossover line is more a Transformers toy than a Marvel or Star Wars one. I still think it would be really cool to see a hybrid action figure and transformer team up, kinda like that Ehobby Perceptor with the Microman. I almost bought Oil Slick cause I thought his alt mode would be a good bike for a Dreadnok.

It would be actually. Give it the right colours and voila...!

How about Transfomers MASK crossover? If Matt Tracker can join Gi Joe, surely the MASK Vehicles could become Transformers. :D

They did? (as in join GIJOE)

I'd also sure love the MASK vehicles being Transformers. I loved MASK. Even T-Bob

Kyle
2nd February 2009, 11:27 PM

I hope I get to buy this from a WA store...

Sky Shadow
2nd February 2009, 11:36 PM
I would probably buy them (I bought G.I.Joe Snow Cat and Energon Snow Cat). But the chance to vote for "I prefer Machine Men/The CORPS! Crossovers" was just too good a chance to pass up. :p

d*r*j*
5th February 2009, 12:48 AM
Hmmm, putting aside the fact that I don't really 'collect' any lines... and that I'm a schizophrenic hobbyist at best...

I voted NO because I just can't see them doing any good with this as a toyline. I think the crossover concept is pretty ordinary at best. But maybe if it was an animation crossing over the styles of both new movies or something like that... it could work.

SilverDragon
8th February 2009, 08:51 PM
So yeah, while I would love to see a TF/G.I. Joe crossover I would much rather see it done like Snowcat and not like Star Wars and Marvel Crossovers where the robot mode design and transformation engineering are compromised because the robot mode has to look like a human. (-_-)

I find with the SWTFs (well, the one I have, anyway) that the robot mode is greatly compromised in favour of the vehicle mode. The robot mode of the ARC 170 Starfighter (the only one I have) demonstrates this well, as there is pretty much zero articulation (his legs swing and his arms swing, and that's it) compared to other Transformers of the same time.