PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Armada - reloaded.

griffin
4th February 2009, 03:27 AM
For those yet to see Armada, or all of it, there are spoilers in here.

I got the entire Unicron trilogy (Armada, Energon, Cybertron) in the mail last week, and have started watching them from start to finish. I don't think I missed any Armada episodes first time around, but I do know I missed a few Energon episodes, because it was so boring.
That said, the next few weeks will be condensing about 4 years worth of Transformers for me, and I wanted to share, and get your comments and opinions too. And if anyone else has the series on DVD, have a re-watch and add your own comments as well.

Armada was another tangent for Transformers, like Beast Wars and Robots in Disguise before it. I remember seeing the first episode at BotCon 2002, as an advance sneak peek (they had only finished recording the voices the day before, and hadn't yet done the opening and closing credits). They also gave out a free deluxe toy and a free Minicon pack for each at the screening dinner. That advance release of the toys made those Armada figures more special for me, and drew me into Armada more than most other series did.

That special bond aside, the cartoon itself was a bit of a let down.

Most longtime (older) fans were a bit put off by the whole kiddie 'pokemon' theme to it - having to race around, hunting for Minicons. In some ways, Armada had a younger theme than Animated does, and which attracted the same responce by a lot of longtime (older) fans.

But it was a new series, and new concept, that led to a huge resurgence in Transformers as a whole, even though the cartoon itself appears to have been rushed. Or at least, the English dub of the cartoon, as it is riddled with errors. Mostly from different writers translating the episodes and not coordinating with the other writers.

The cartoon also utilises a LOT of stock footage, to reduce the workload on the animators.

I'm actually finding it more fun watching it 6 years later, probably because there isn't the big gap between each episode of a weekly screening. This way, the not-too-exciting cartoon isn't as drawn out, and I get to see more plot in a much shorter period of time.

Okay, I won't be doing reviews or anything too lengthy. Just some notes on each episode, that I have jotted down while having the episodes playing as I'm on the computer. Actually, with very little happening in each episode, the brief descriptions I give cover the main plot anyway.

Armada was just one season of 52 episodes, but was released in 2 parts with 26 episodes to each part, on four discs. It was still labelled 'season one' though, despite being the only season.

------

Season 1, Part 1, Disc 1, Episodes 1-7.

1 - First Encounter
Basic Introduction of human characters and story premise.
Intro - Rad, Carlos, Alexis, Fred, Billy, Highwire, Megatron, Optimus Prime/Super Optimus.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-The narration of the openning back-story doesn't match the animation. The story has the war ending and the Minicons leaving, but the animation shows the war raging right until they leave.
-Difficult to believe that the Decepticons would have agreed to banishing the Minicons and their power.
-Just how much Cybertronian 'junk' has managed to crash on Earth, this one small planet in the universe, throughout all the history of Transformers?

Minicon count:
Autobots (1) - Highwire.
Decepticons (0) - (none).

2 - Metamorphosis
Introduction of main primary TFs characters.
Intro - Hotshot, Red Alert, Starscream, Cyclonus, Demolishor, Leader-1, Sureshot, Grindor.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Of all the hundreds of Minicons, Megatron just happens to find the one he was once paired with.
-Why would Decepticons, or Autobots even, have been partnered to one Minicon, if they are tools to be used and swapped at will?
-It was a mistake having the Minicons only communicating by beeps. It created inconsistency with how the kids understood them, and made it more confusing for the younger (and older) viewers.

Minicon count:
Autobots (3) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor.
Decepticons (1) - Leader-1.

3 - Base
Introductions amongst the cast, Laserbeak given to the kids.
Intro - Jolt, Longarm, Crumplezone (animation error?), Blackout, Laserbeak.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-I think the Minicon panel Cyclonus found, contained Blackout, and it was an animation error to have Crumplezone sitting on his shoulder while Blackout is being released. Because only one Minicon panel was recovered, and in the next episode, Cyclonus comments that he doesn't yet have one.
-If all Minicons are powerful, why doesn't anyone use Highwire, Sureshock and Grindor, or try to capture them? The cartoon strictly follows the toys pairings, as if each TF is only genetically compatable to a particular Minicon. And as such, certain TFs seem to be conveniently finding their old Minicons from thousands of years ago.
-The Autobot base is the remnants of the crashed Minicon Ship, but is in really good condition. The Decepticons are using the Minicon wreck on the Moon as their base, which is really trashed.
-The kids are given uniforms... what for?
-Optimus isn't very convincing in differenciating between the way Autobots and Decepticons would 'use' the Minicons for their war.

Minicon count:
Autobots (5) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm.
Decepticons (3) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout.

4 - Comrade
Hunt and release of Sparkplug in a giant canyon.
Intro - Sparkplug, Perceptor.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Jolt and Longarm were introduced last episode, but don't even appear to exist yet in this episode.
-Cyclonus says he doesn't yet have a Minicon, but had Crumplezone sitting on his shoulder in the last episode.
-Sparkplug is called Leader-1 by Optimus and Rad.
-Optimus also 'miraculously' manages to find the one minicon that he used to be partnered with. What are the odds of that happening, yet again?
-Hotshot is called Hotrod.
-Hotshot is trapped in car mode between boulders, but could have transformed to get out.
-Megatron 'introduces' his Minicon (again), as if it was not revealed or used before.
-Hotshot uses his front grabber claws without a Minicon, but it's the gimmick that requires a Minicon to activate.

Minicon count:
Autobots (6) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug.

5 - Soldier
Hunt and retrieval of Jetstorm in Antarctica.
Intro - Prime's trailer command base, Jetstorm (not yet able to be released from its panel)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-The much colder deep space doesn't affect these guys, but the cold of the antarctic freezes up Optimus Prime's systems.
-Starscream should have transformed and grabbed the Minicon when he saw it, if he was that desperate for one, but flies off and fights Hotshot.
-Starscream can fly in robot mode, but has to hold onto the cliff-face, and falls into the crevas when knocked off.

Minicon count:
Autobots (7) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, (Jetstorm).

6 - Jungle
Hunt and release of Swindle in a forest. Starscream's treachery is more open now that he has a Minicon.
Intro - Swindle.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Sparkplug is called Leader-1 by Red Alert.
-Starscream is again mentioned as being the only Decepticon without a Minicon, so maybe Cyclonus does already have Crumplezone, and the discovery of Blackout's panel was not shown.
-Starscream names his Minicon, as if it isn't even sentient and has a name of its own.
-Episode has a big green/environmental message, with emphasis on protecting the forests and protecting the earth.
-Each Minicon is 'awakening' one at a time, but should all be coming online at the same time. Very convenient for the 'one per episode' structure.

Minicon count:
Autobots (7) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, (Jetstorm).
Decepticons (4) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle.

7 - Carnival
Minicons at a carnival attract unwanted attention.
Intro - none.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Swindle is called Grid by Starscream, which is the Japanese name.
-No actual conflict between TFs, but focusses on the human kids for the kiddy viewers.

Minicon count:
Decepticons (4) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle.

GoktimusPrime
4th February 2009, 08:32 AM
But it was a new series, and new concept, that led to a huge resurgence in Transformers as a whole, even though the cartoon itself appears to have been rushed. Or at least, the English dub of the cartoon, as it is riddled with errors. Mostly from different writers translating the episodes and not coordinating with the other writers.
Armada was trashed by the horrific dubbing. I've seen both Armada and Micron Legend - Micron Legend isn't a terrific series, but it's noteably better than Armada. I have no idea if there are any subtitled versions (fan made or official) out there. Overall as far as Armada canon is concerned I much prefer the comics. :)

When I listen to interviews with voice actors you can always tell that working on dubbing just isn't as fun for them as doing regular cartoon acting. It's just so restrictive on their art that they can barely get any "acting" done; I think it's reasonable to say that a lot of actors don't consider doing dubs as true voice-acting (or at best, it's very restricted voice-acting). But as Neil Kaplan (RiD Prime) once said, dubbing Optimus Prime is an easier job because he doesn't have a moving mouth to lip-sync to! There is still some voice-synching/timing required but I imagine it would be a lot easier than dubbing characters who do have mouthes. :)

roller
4th February 2009, 03:49 PM
i have the entire Armada collection and some energon

its really to painful to watch them all, i just skipped to the Ferox Unicron battles and avoided Energon after the very first episode

autobreadticon
4th February 2009, 05:25 PM
Griffin please don't do this to me , it's too unbearable.....

I strongly dislike the series, for things such as using the adjectives 'moron' & 'idiot' in cartoons, the English dub just tries to hard, too many bad elements in each episode

liegeprime
4th February 2009, 10:37 PM
ive never seen Armada, only seen glimpses of Energon during the Cartoon network run - like only 5 random episodes. Much of Cybertron Ive watched online via Hasbro website.

Erm where do you get the complete DVD copies of it from Griff? Armada - Cyb.

griffin
5th February 2009, 12:48 AM
Ebay. They are all US releases, but quite readily available, and fairly cheap.

Below are the actual listings I bought them from, so if you are interested, just see if they have any more in their store listings.

Animated season 1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200298740412
Animated season 2
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120359962195
Cybertron series
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110323722044
Energon series
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200296969643
Armada series
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290285057079
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370135579782
RiD complete series
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360123440359
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400023856301

griffin
5th February 2009, 01:38 AM
Season 1, Part 1, Disc 2, Episodes 8-14.

8 - Palace
Hunt and release of Bonecrusher in an underground Egyptian temple.
Intro - Bonecrusher.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Jolt is called Grindor by Hotshot.
-Demolishor sinks into the sand and requests for help. Why not just warp out of it?
-Red Alert and Hotshot defy Optimus as if he wasn't in complete command, and head off after the kids.
-Mechanical droids on guard, created by an *ancient* civilisation.
-Demolishor refers to the Minicon as 'my own Minicon', as if he doesn't already have one.

Minicon count:
Decepticons (5) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher.

9 - Confrontation
Fred & Billy are taken hostage.
Intro - none.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Why is Rad pedalling, when he is trying to escape Cyclonus while on Highwire?
-The kids can't understand Leader-1, who should speak the same as their own Minicons.
-Optimus uses the Minicons as bargaining chips to save the kids, suggesting that he doesn't value their lives at all. Optimus claimed that they didn't use them as tools, and yet doesn't treat them as fellow team members, giving them up very easily.

Minicon count:
Decepticons (5) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher.

10 - Underground
Hunt and release of Drillbit in the city subway system.
Intro - Smokescreen, Drillbit.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-The Decepticons send off their Minicons on their own, but they don't try to escape. Either they are re-programmed, choose to be loyal to the Decepticons, or aren't really sentient.
-Cyclonus releases Longarm, but it should have been Bonecrusher (animation error)
-Bonecrusher is temporarily replaced by Crumplezone while chasing the kids (animation error).
-Laserbeak doesn't speak? Maybe it's meant to be a drone.
-Smokescreen refers to the 'warpgate' to get to Earth, so why are they repairing the Minicon ship to return to Cybertron?
-Cyclonus is first to use the word 'powerlink'.

Minicon count:
Decepticons (6) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit.

11 - Ruin
Hunt and retrieval of Sonar in an underwater city, said to be Atlantis.
Intro - Sonar (not yet released from its panel)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Smokescreen is called Hotshot by Optimus.
-Kids say Optimus can't fire while in truck mode, but then uses his guns to blast open the door to the main temple.
-Alexis is way too 'narrator-ish' in explaining stuff for the audience/kiddies.
-Leader-1 and Bonecrusher attack Perceptor at Megatron's command.
-Details of the Star Saber are shown, and a silhouet of the Skyboom Shield.
-Sonar appears on the Autobot's computer screen, but how do they know that that Minicon was in the panel Megatron captured?

Minicon count:
Decepticons (7) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit, (Sonar).

12 - Prehistory
Hunt and retrieval of Runway on an island.
Intro - Runway (not yet released from its panel)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Megatron wonders why Sonar won't come out of the panel, but knew in the last episode that he needed the other two first.
-They refer to themselves as Transformers. I would think they would refer to themselves as Cybertronians instead.
-The story about the Minicons leaving Cybertron is different to the first episode. This time the Minicons chose to leave during the war, instead of the Autobots and Decepticons having a truce and banishing the Minicons to save Cybertron. This new version doesn't explain why some Minicons align themselves to the Decepticons, and doesn't explain how all the ones partnered to Decepticons willingly somehow left with all the other Minicons by choice. And if it was by choice, why do they join the Decepticons willingly now?
-Jetfire (silhouet) is called Thrust by Optimus, which is a really bad mistake because he puts him in command while gone to Earth, and that could confuse viewers.
-Optimus once again says the Minicons are their friends, but was very willing to hand them over to Megatron as mere pawns when the kids were in trouble. He still has trouble justifying their usage of the Minicons as weapons, without criticising the Decepticons for doing the same.
-The time between the Minicons departure of Cybertron and present day is now 4 million years, instead of thousands of years, as mentioned in an earlier episode.
-Now everyone is saying 'powerlink' when a Minicon plugs in.
-Sonar is able to be forced from its panel by Megatron.

Minicon count:
Autobots (8) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, (Jetstorm), (Runway).
Decepticons (7) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit, Sonar.

13 - Swoop
The Decepticons find the Autobot base and break in to retrieve Jetstorm and Runway.
Intro - Jetstorm and Runway released from their panels.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Cyclonus is flying with Blackout attached.
-The Decepticons are learning the Minicon language, as if they have never met them before.
-Fred & Billy are left on their own in their first visit to the Autobot Base.
-Megatron's horns extend like stretchy rubber to grab Hotshot.
-Cyclonus crashes while trying to transform, and the next shot has Demolishor grabbing his head in pain.
-Too much talking before the fighting really drags out the action, stalling momentum.
-Hotshot is given the Star Saber to look after. The weakest Autobot given the 'most powerful sword in the universe'.

Minicon count:
Autobots (9) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar.
Decepticons (6) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit.

14 - Overmatch
Hunt and release of Liftor in some mountains, and a Race Minicon near a beach.
Intro - Scavenger, Liftor, Mirage or Downshift (not released from its panel).
Errors/confusion/notes:
-The VA for Demolishor messed up a line, mixing words around, and the Voice Director must have missed it.
-Hotshot is getting cocky with his new powerful Star Saber, showing off all the time.
-Smokescreen is another one who gives a name to his Minicon as if it doesn't already have a name.
-Scavenger wears a huge cloak, but why? Megatron recognised him, and Optimus knows him. Who is he hiding his form from?
-Scavenger easily finds a Minicon, without anyone else detecting it. And why is it yellow, compared to all others being green? Even if it is a defensive Minicon, it is still just a Minicon like all the others.
-Scavenger starts off working with the Decepticons, which would lead viewers to think he is a Decepticon if they didn't know about the toys.

Minicon count:
Autobots (10) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar, Liftor.
Decepticons (7) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit, (Mirage/Downshift).

Paulbot
5th February 2009, 08:10 AM
Fred and Billy! That's their names. I always think of them i my head as "Bulk and Skull" (although the personalities are reversed from that pair).

i_amtrunks
5th February 2009, 08:53 AM
Only another 20 or so episodes before the show starts to improve Griffin, hold on, you can make it! :)

roller
5th February 2009, 09:35 AM
Season 1, Part 1, Disc 2, Episodes 8-14.

-Optimus uses the Minicons as bargaining chips to save the kids, suggesting that he doesn't value their lives at all. Optimus claimed that they didn't use them as tools, and yet doesn't treat them as fellow team members, giving them up very easily.

maybe their is more depth to this cartoon then previously thought? Optimus grappling with the hardships of war, such as using the minicons as tools of war etc etc like the idea General Halo put to Prime in the Dreamwave comics, sometimes solidiers have to be sacrificed for victory.

im sure a high school english teacher would point out this observation:D

As for the name stuff ups, was this retconned in one of the exclusive collector club comics? Saying it was the black hole effecting the cartoon universe?

im still mad that David Kaye and Gorrilla Chalk just used the same old voices from iconic beast characters for this cartoon, not even a slight change in their voice:(:mad:

GoktimusPrime
5th February 2009, 10:45 PM
I strongly dislike the series, for things such as using the adjectives 'moron' & 'idiot' in cartoons, the English dub just tries to hard, too many bad elements in each episode
I really didn't like how both Optimus Prime and Megatron repeatedly referred to their fellow Autobots/Decepticons as "men." (-_-)

FFN
5th February 2009, 11:51 PM
Regarding the Decepticons agreeing to banish the Decepticons, as I recall, it was revealed in a later episode that this was a ruse to get all the Mini-Cons in one place so they could take ALL of them. That's why the opening scene had the Mini-Con ship being hit by mines and stuff.

However, the Autobots were able to hold off the Decepticons long enough for the Mini-Cons to warp out.

According to BotCon 2002 reports of the time, people went crazy when they saw the reuses of G1 character models for generics, the voices of David Kaye and Garry Chalk, and of course, Armada's version of the G1 Transformers theme music.

griffin
6th February 2009, 01:40 AM
(added in the Minicon counts in my first two postings, and will continue tracking them until it becomes too confusing with too many running around.)

Season 1, Part 1, Disc 3, Episodes 15-21.

15 - Gale
Hotshot takes on Scavenger for a rematch after defeat in the last episode. Sideways appears with unknown motives, like Scavenger. Spiral is found and released.
Intro - Sideways, Rook, Crosswise, Spiral.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-New opening narration by Megatron, instead of by Rad. Doesn't make much sence having 'Megatron' talking up the Autobots and talking negatively about the Decepticons, just for the kiddie viewers to know what is going on.
-Fred and Billy appear to be regulars now like the other 3 kids.
-Billy hopped on Sideways without knowing if he is an Autobot or Decepticon.
-Optimus doesn't know of any Transformers that turn into motorcycles. He couldn't know everyone, and they change forms all the time.
-Sideways jumps through Cyclonus' rotors to knock him out.

Minicon count:
Autobots (11) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar, Liftor, Spiral.
Decepticons (9) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit, (Mirage/Downshift), Rook, Crosswise.

16 - Credulous
Hotshot and Sideways end up at the Decepticon base on the moon. Sideways reveals himself as a Decepticon. Starscream gets the Star Saber.
Intro - none.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Cyclonus is flying in helicoptor mode (with his rotor) on the moon.
-Hotshot is out of breath. What the?
-Hotshot surrenders the Star Saber as if it were just a sword, and not three sentient beings (Minicons).

Minicon count:
Autobots (8) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral.
Decepticons (12) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit, (Mirage/Downshift), Rook, Crosswise, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar.

17 - Conspiracy
Megatron plans a trap and tricks Starscream to get the Star Saber. A second Skyboom Shield Minicon panel is found.
Intro - Mirage or Downshift (not released from its panel)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-There seem to be a lot less errors now that the plot starts picking up to be more than just Minicon hunting. I think the writers or editors had to pay more attention with all the new characters and double agents.
-The Star Saber Minicons follow Starscream like pets, just as they followed Hotshot like pets, or inferior creatures.
-Scale of the Decepticons to the trees changes from shot to shot. At one time they are the height of the trees, and then the next the trees only come up to their knees, making them look like giants.
-Sparkplug is called Jolt by Optimus. It hasn't yet been called by it's real name yet.
-Scavenger goes to the Autobots at the end, with Optimus claiming he was a double agent. There is no indication that he was a double agent, and even hands Megatron the latest Minicon panel before he leaves. If he really was a spy, he should have taken the Minicon, or as many as he could, with him.

Minicon count:
Autobots (8) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral.
Decepticons (13) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit, (Mirage), (Downshift), Rook, Crosswise, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar.

18 - Trust
The Autobots question Scavenger's loyatly, as they hunt for Minicon.
Intro - Rollbar, (unknown).
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Scavenger snores as if he is breathing.
-Drillbit is called Crumplezone by Cyclonus.
-Scavenger powerlinks with Rollbar, but the Minicon was never shown to be discovered.
-They don't show what Minicon is found, as the episode ends as they go off to look for it.

Minicon count:
Autobots (10) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral, Rollbar, (unknown).
Decepticons (13) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit, (Mirage), (Downshift), Rook, Crosswise, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar.

19 - Vacation
The four boys go off camping with Red Alert, Smokescreen and some Minicons.
Intro - none.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Alexis mentions that Scavenger can now let them know where the Decepticon base is, but Hotshot already knows.
-Optimus uses his full truck mode to block the water, but transforms to regular mode, leaving his trailer behind.
-Red Alert is recommended to transform, but has 2 kids inside, so wouldn't be able to.
-The kids spend a lot of time with the Autobots. What about their parents?

Minicon count:
Autobots (10) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral, Rollbar, (unknown).

20 - Reinforcement
Scavenger calls up Blurr to help the Autobots on Earth, but ends up being a liability when tracking down Dirtboss.
Intro - Blurr, Incinerator, Dirtboss, (Mirage and Downshift released from their panels).
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Blurr doesn't know or have an interest in having a Minicon.
-Blurr isn't very nice for an Autobot.
-Dirtboss activates on his own.
-Optimus is surprised the Decepticons are there, but it should be expected that they would be there to find the Minicon.
-The Autobots don't recognise Swindle, and try to rescue it from the Decepticons.
-Liftor is called Longarm by Smokescreen just five seconds after calling him Liftor.

Minicon count:
Autobots (10) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral, Rollbar, (unknown), Incinerator.
Decepticons (14) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit, Mirage, Downshift, Rook, Crosswise, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar, Dirtboss.

21 - Decisive Battle
Megatron takes on the Autobots with the Star Saber and Skyboom Shield. Sideways continues to covertly fight for a third party.
Intro - (none)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-A one-off intro to mention the approaching meteor to the Moon, that Megatron destroys with the Skyboom Shield.
-Skyboom Shield is called Star Saber by Megatron.
-Sparkplug is finally named correcly, and speaks english.
-Megatron loses the Skyboon Shield.
-Sideways intentionally gets shot, so that no one sees him interfere to keep the battle from being one-sided.
-The energy released by the Star Saber and Skyboom Shield goes off into space, as a beacon to someone.

Minicon count:
Autobots (13) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral, Rollbar, (unknown), Incinerator, Mirage, Downshift, Dirtboss.
Decepticons (11) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Drillbit, Rook, Crosswise, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar.

FFN
6th February 2009, 02:30 AM
You're about to come up to my favourite episode, Rebellion. A pretty decent speech by Megatron at the end, well performed by David Kaye.

i_amtrunks
6th February 2009, 08:52 AM
A disk a night Griffin?

Good way to power through the first half of the series.

really liked the idea of Sideways from this disc on, it wasn't the best execution, but the idea was awesome.

Wheel-J
6th February 2009, 09:09 AM
-The kids spend a lot of time with the Autobots. What about their parents?

Lol! my thoughts, exactly! :D

GoktimusPrime
6th February 2009, 10:14 AM
Call DoCS. :p

griffin
6th February 2009, 12:28 PM
A disk a night Griffin?

Good way to power through the first half of the series.

It doesn't seem to take long to get through the episodes, playing them while I'm on the computer. It is amazing to think though, that in just a 3 or 4 days, I've watched half a year's worth of a TFs series. But with the story taking so long to get somewhere, (and worse with Energon), it really is the only way to watch it and enjoy it.

FFN
6th February 2009, 04:53 PM
The core of Armada's story is the development of Starscream as an angsty anti-hero... though it seems like the writers decided to pick up on this almost halfway through the series.

GoktimusPrime
6th February 2009, 07:02 PM
According to BotCon 2002 reports of the time, people went crazy when they saw the reuses of G1 character models for generics,
Like a purple Sureshot, oversized Wheelie and undersized Fortress Maximus! :D

and of course, Armada's version of the G1 Transformers theme music.
Beyond "GeeWun Nostalgia" I never understood why. The Armada opening theme song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNYNbLm4Md4) is just a jazzed up version of the G1 tune with a digitised voice saying "Transformers" over and over again. While it's not terrible I don't think it's anything to write home about... there just doesn't seem to be much creative effort put into that song. The tune isn't an original composition and the lyrics... yeah right. Compare this with the Micron Legend opening theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gRknOEylgI&NR=1). Original composition, original lyrics... much greater effort all round. By comparison I really find the Armada opening theme to be just lazy.

I'm not a fan of any of the Anglophone shows' themes since G1. G2 was bleh... Beast Wars wasn't great either - but at least it's the most original post-G1 theme written for a Transformers TV series. Beast Machines was a song taken from a Leftfield album (it wasn't composed for Transformers) and every theme from RiD till now has just been some G1 rehash which I find uninspiring. The Animated theme is my favourite of these rehashes I must say - but it's still a rehash. I would love to see a wholly original composition made for an Anglophone TF opening theme.

I haven't heard an original TF song in English since 1997's Ground Zero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlUKoXasNdA).

griffin
7th February 2009, 03:41 PM
Season 1, Part 1, Disc 4, Episodes 22-26.

22 - Vow
Megatron tries to take on the Autobots again, this time with the Star Saber and 7 Minicons.
Intro - Wreckage, Knockout, Dualor, Buzzsaw, Backtrack, Oval
Errors/confusion/notes:
-The Decepticons have been busy collecting heaps of Minicons 'offscreen', with 6 shown at the start of the episode that haven't been seen yet.
-Optimus can't understand the Minicon language in this episode, but Hotshot does.
-The constant fat/food jokes for Fred are a bit much.
-They try to explain the Minicons being loyal to Megatron as 'looking up to him as a father figure'. Huh? They fear him. Why don't they just try to escape?
-Megatron retreats leaving behind 7 Minicons (the six 'new' ones and Bonecrusher).

Minicon count:
Autobots (21) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral, Rollbar, (unknown), Incinerator, Mirage, Downshift, Dirtboss, Bonecrusher, Wreckage, Knockout, Dualor, Buzzsaw, Backtrack, Oval.
Decepticons (10) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Drillbit, Rook, Crosswise, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar.

23 - Rebellion
Sideways tricks Starscream and Megatron into fighting each other, to help make the Decepticons a tighter fighting machine as the Autobots start getting the upper hand in the war.
Intro - none
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Sideways is reporting into someone, far off in the galaxy.
-Sideways mentions the Astroblaster (is really the Requiem Blaster), as if the Autobots already have it, but none of the Minicon team have been found yet.
-The war is 10 million years old according to Starscream. The 'millions of years' war concept never made sense, with all the destruction and casualties they cause in just a few days.
-Cyclonus snores as well, as if he needs to breath. And flys in helicoptor mode on the moon again (no air, so shouldn't work).

Minicon count:
Autobots (21) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral, Rollbar, (unknown), Incinerator, Mirage, Downshift, Dirtboss, Bonecrusher, Wreckage, Knockout, Dualor, Buzzsaw, Backtrack, Oval.
Decepticons (10) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Drillbit, Rook, Crosswise, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar.

24 - Chase
The 3 kids and Street Action Team are sucked into 'Cyberspace' (an alternate dimension) by Sideways, on behalf of his true master.
Intro - (none)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Laserbeak appears to be a mere drone who loses power when the Autobot's computer is destroyed.
-Laserbeak is stepped on by Megatron, but is later okay.
-Sideways calls the alternate dimension 'Cyberspace', which Alexis calls the Internet. This is such a '90s' perception of the internet being a 'world' or place where all the info is stored. The 'world' is a shared illusion, generated by an unknown force.
-The sneak peek silhoutes are always fun to try to work out when they are thrown into episodes like this. One appears to be Tidalwave, while another jet shows up that doesn't look familiar.
-Sureshock is repeatedly called Grindor by everyone.
-We get our first look at Unicron in Planet Mode.

Minicon count:

25 - Tactician
Thrust and Jetfire arrive, which further intensifies the conflict.
Intro - Jetfire, Thrust, Inferno, Terradive, Thunderwing, Gunbarrel, Fetch, (at least 4 other Minicons), (generic? Minicon)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Heaps more Minicons are revealed to be in the possession of the Decepticons (I could count 10 - Terradive, Thunderwing, Gunbarrel, Fetch, Inferno, Sonar, and 4 others), suggesting that the 'Minicon Hunt' plot concept could be mostly over now, and the rest of the series deals with the Unicron plot concept.
-Thrust mentions that the Minicons in that room have been there for years, but could be a translation error.
-If the Decepticons had so many Minicons, including the 7 that they lost in episode 22, they should have been plugging them all in, 3 or 4 each, and blitzing the Autobots. They are mere tools and weapons, so why didn't the Decepticons use them while they had them, instead of being defeated on level playing terms.
-The room also contains Sonar (animation error), who is currently on Earth with the Decepticons in the next scene.
-Thrust appears to be able to be invisible.
-Megatron welcomes Thrust to Earth, but they are on the Moon.
-Thrust is said to be undefeated, but is easily defeated by the Autobots in his first couple of encounters.
-The Minicon the Autobots retrieve and release is unrecognisable, and could just be a generic Minicon as it is not named or seen again.
-Thrust recommends to Megatron that Starscream is loyal and should be his second in command.
-Demolishor was/is considered second in command, and doesn't like Starscream being 'promoted' above him.
-Thrust convinces Megatron to let him use the Star Saber, but then never uses it.
-Megatron trusts Thrust, but should know that no Decepticon can be trusted.
-Thrust is also using the Air Military Minicon Team (the triple changer jets).
-Scavenger asks Optimus for strategy when in trouble, but should be taking charge as a battle master.
-Animation error has Optimus reversing from Megatron with his trailer between shots without it.
-Jetfire arrives 'just in time'.
-Air Military Team crash to the ground, and the Decepticons retreat, but somehow they manage to be back with the Decepticons later.

Minicon count:
Autobots (22) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral, Rollbar, (unknown), Incinerator, Mirage, Downshift, Dirtboss, Bonecrusher, Wreckage, Knockout, Dualor, Buzzsaw, Backtrack, Oval, (generic? Minicon).
Decepticons (19) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Drillbit, Rook, Crosswise, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar, Inferno, Terradive, Thunderwing, Gunbarrel, Fetch, (at least 4 others).

26 - Link Up
Thrust sets up another trap to defeat the Autobots, but Jetfire is once again instrumental in saving the day.
Intro - (Jet Convoy)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Optimus is said to be requiring extensive repairs from the battle in the last episode, but didn't appear to be injured in that episode. I think the original script (before translation) probably had the 'repair' process being an *upgrade* instead, to prepare him for his powerlinking to Jetfire and give him the ability to fly (which he does now).
-Kids are introduced to Jetfire, but talk as if they already knew of him (probably stories from the other Autobots).
-Hotshot is said to be too young to have been in any of the wars on Cybertron. Probably a translation error, because the 2-part episode 'Past' contradicts that.
-Jetfire is just as cocky and reckless as Hotshot, which makes it odd that he is second in command.
-Liftor is called Longarm, yet again, by Smokescreen.
-The Air Military Team is called Air Defence Team by Thrust.
-As mentioned above, Optimus can now fly.
-Optimus combines with Jetfire to form 'Jet Convoy'. Odd that they used the Japanese 'Convoy' name, instead of something like 'Jet Prime' or 'Jet Optimus'.
-No one else knew of their combining ability, even those who have fought with him for millions of years, suggesting that it is something he was just upgraded to do, but the Western Translation made out he was just being repaired instead.
-Animation error has the chest of Jet Convoy coloured red like Super Optimus, and with a Decepticon Symbol on the chest, when he has defeated Megatron.
-Animation error has Jet Convoy flying over to the Autobots after the battle, but landing as Super Optimus.

Minicon count:
Autobots (22) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral, Rollbar, (unknown), Incinerator, Mirage, Downshift, Dirtboss, Bonecrusher, Wreckage, Knockout, Dualor, Buzzsaw, Backtrack, Oval, (generic? Minicon).
Decepticons (19) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Drillbit, Rook, Crosswise, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar, Inferno, Terradive, Thunderwing, Gunbarrel, Fetch, (at least 4 others).

Autocon
7th February 2009, 11:43 PM
what special features are included?

Sky Shadow
8th February 2009, 11:57 AM
what special features are included?

There's an Easter egg. If you press the 'stop' button on the DVD player, the show suddenly gets better. :cool:

dirge
8th February 2009, 07:55 PM
ROFL. Classic, Sky Shadow (and, sadly, true!).

griffin
8th February 2009, 09:08 PM
No special features with the Armada sets. And nothing mentioned on the covers of Energon and Cybertron (which was expected from Paramount - doing the cheapest release possible without any frills for the fans). I was hoping the Energon set would at least have as a bonus feature, the Superlink episode that was never dubbed into English. It was never confirmed why it was missed, especially with it being a pivital plot episode, leaving the Energon series with only 51 episodes.

griffin
8th February 2009, 09:10 PM
Season 1, Part 2, Disc 1, Episodes 27-33.

27 - Detection
Sideways is the focus of attention of both Autobots and Decepticons, as he continues to pull strings. Sideways is confronted by the Decepticons as a traitor, and chased off.
Intro - Tidal Wave.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-A shadowy vessel continues to approach Earth from Cybertron.
-The Autobots are confirmed to be repairing/building the ship they are in, to return to Cybertron. Why not warp back like how they got here?
-The episode is padded out with a bit of a clip show, with Jetfire reviewing past battles.
-Sideways is interrupted as he begins to report into his mysterious, true master.
-Sideways says there are millions of Minicons, but could be a translation error.
-The shadowy vessel arrives at the end of the episode.

Minicon count:
Decepticons (17) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Drillbit, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar, Inferno, Terradive, Thunderwing, Gunbarrel, Fetch, (at least 4 others).

28 - Awakening
Tidal Wave appears and turns the tide of battle back in favour of the Decepticons. The Autobots need to find the Requiem Blaster Minicons to defend themselves.
Intro - Sky Blast.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Thrust goes invisible, and Jetfire loses him from his grip, suggesting he can probably warp as well.
-Sideways contacts the Autobots to help them.
-Thrust is the only one on either side who knows of Tidal Wave, but would think someone so powerful would be well known among the Cybertronians.
-Tidal Wave is called Shockwave (the Takara name) by the narrator.

Minicon count:
Autobots (23) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral, Rollbar, (unknown), Incinerator, Mirage, Downshift, Dirtboss, Bonecrusher, Wreckage, Knockout, Dualor, Buzzsaw, Backtrack, Oval, (generic? Minicon), Sky Blast.
Decepticons (17) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Drillbit, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar, Inferno, Terradive, Thunderwing, Gunbarrel, Fetch, (at least 4 others).

29 - Desperate
The battle with Tidal Wave continues, as the Autobots and kids try to convince Sky Blast to help them.
Intro - Payload, Astroscope.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Perceptor is called Leader-1 by Rad. Everyone gets called Leader-1 in this cartoon...
-Tidal Wave has shrunk to about quarter size while fighting Hotshot, and shrinks even further to be able to combine with Megatron.
-Twice it is said that the Minicons 'are alive', as if they aren't seen as anything more than inanimate objects.

Minicon count:
Autobots (25) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral, Rollbar, (unknown), Incinerator, Mirage, Downshift, Dirtboss, Bonecrusher, Wreckage, Knockout, Dualor, Buzzsaw, Backtrack, Oval, (generic? Minicon), Sky Blast, Payload, Astroscope.

30 - Runaway
The kids leave the base with the Space Minicons to prevent them from having their power being abused by the Autobots. Thrust finds out, and tries to capture them.
Intro - none.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Shortened intro by the narrator.
-Animation error? with Spiral and Backtrack repairing Megatron, but they joined the Autobots in episode 22.
-The Autobots talk about using the new Minicons as mere weapons, like the Decepticons would.
-Thrust is kept at bay by some simple tricks and traps by the kids.
-Animation error while Optimus is giving his closing speech, Jetfire agrees with him, but Jetfire isn't even there. And his shot has metal in the background, while Optimus and the others are in a grassy field.

Minicon count:
Autobots (25) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral, Rollbar, (unknown), Incinerator, Mirage, Downshift, Dirtboss, Bonecrusher, Wreckage, Knockout, Dualor, Buzzsaw, Backtrack, Oval, (generic? Minicon), Sky Blast, Payload, Astroscope.

31 - Past part 1
Hotshot recalls a time on Cybertron when he was prevented from helping his friend Wheeljack. Wheeljack was rescued by Megatron, and in turn joined the Decepticons, vowing vengence against Hotshot. History repeats for Hotshot as he is paired up with another Autobot, Sideswipe, and is again faced with a difficult situation.
Intro - Wheeljack, Sideswipe, Nightbeat.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Sideswipe refers to Blurr as 'commander', and owes him a favour for helping him in the past.
-Sideswipe is youthful and clumsy, and annoys Blurr more than Hotshot did.
-Hotshot has to mentor Sideswipe, refering to him as 'kid', despite being the 'kid' to the rest during the start of the series.
-Wheeljack can also teleport like Thrust.
-Nightbeat appears as Sideswipe's partner, but not shown to be discovered or handed to him.
-Animation errors, Sideswipe has powerlinked with Nightbeat, but a number of times appears as his normal vehicle form.
-Why would Megatron save Wheeljack? He would have seen an Autobot trapped and destroyed him. Mercy isn't something Megatron has for Autobots, and it would amuse him more to destroy an Autobot who begs for it.
-Flashback has a miscoloured Fortress Maximus, and someone that looks a little like Wheelie.

Minicon count:
Autobots (26) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral, Rollbar, (unknown), Incinerator, Mirage, Downshift, Dirtboss, Bonecrusher, Wreckage, Knockout, Dualor, Buzzsaw, Backtrack, Oval, (generic? Minicon), Sky Blast, Payload, Astroscope, Nightbeat.

32 - Past part 2
Hotshot goes off to make amends with the past, with Wheeljack, either as friends again or to terminate him.
Intro - none.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-The end of the last episode had Wheeljack saying he wasn't there for revenge, but at the start of this episode, he says he wants revenge.
-The kids are playing a robot-fighting computer game, but Carlos and Rad refer to them as playing with the Minicons (which they aren't).
-How did Hotshot know where to find Wheeljack?
-Animation error with a Decepticon symbol on Hotshot's shoulder while fighting Wheeljack.
-Animation error with an Autobot symbol on Wheeljack's arm while holding Sideswipe.
-So much explosive material in an abandoned, rusted refinery.
-Thrust is bandaged up with a sling and over his head, as comic relief.

Minicon count:
Autobots (26) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral, Rollbar, (unknown), Incinerator, Mirage, Downshift, Dirtboss, Bonecrusher, Wreckage, Knockout, Dualor, Buzzsaw, Backtrack, Oval, (generic? Minicon), Sky Blast, Payload, Astroscope, Nightbeat.

33 - Sacrifice
Thrust and Megatron plot to capture the Requiem Blaster. The plan succeeds, and Smokescreen is a casualty.
Intro - Oceanglide, Stormcloud, Waterlog.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Jetfire is impatient as well as cocky, with Optimus telling to be more responsible.
-Why do some understand the Minicons, and others don't.
-Starscream has the Star Saber, but would Megatron really risk giving it up to someone like Starscream?
-Now the Jetfire and Optimus combination is called 'Jet Optimus'.
-Tidal Wave is called Shockwave by Megatron and Starscream.
-The Sea Team Minicons appear with Tidal Wave, as their only introduction.
-Demolishor calls Thrust 'eraser-head'.
-Sideways still has access to the Autobot computer, despite Red Alert putting in a firewall that was supposed to prevent it.
-The base is trashed, again.
-Everyone acts as if they haven't seen someone die before, but they've been warring for millions of years.
-Why would the Decepticons retreat, just as the momentum of the battle was in their favour?

Minicon count:
Autobots (23) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral, Rollbar, (unknown), Incinerator, Mirage, Downshift, Dirtboss, Bonecrusher, Wreckage, Knockout, Dualor, Buzzsaw, Backtrack, Oval, (generic? Minicon), Nightbeat.
Decepticons (23) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Swindle, Drillbit, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar, Inferno, Terradive, Thunderwing, Gunbarrel, Fetch, (at least 4 others), Sky Blast, Payload, Astroscope, Oceanglide, Stormcloud, Waterlog.

GoktimusPrime
9th February 2009, 03:40 PM
There's an Easter egg. If you press the 'stop' button on the DVD player, the show suddenly gets better.
Hahahahahaha... and if you press the "Eject" button you get a free beverage holder with coaster! :p :)

griffin
22nd February 2009, 07:26 PM
Season 1, Part 2, Disc 2, Episodes 34-40.

34 - Regeneration
Starscream feels abandoned, and joins the Autobots, bringing with him, the Star Saber.
Intro - (Hoist/Smokescreen)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-It was given the impression that Smokescreen was dead last episode, but repair him this episode.
-Starscream shows concern for the Star Saber Minicons.
-Even Megatron shows concern for the welfare of his troops, which isn't the nature of a true Decepticon leader, who uses and discards his troops.
-Optimus gives the Star Saber back to Starscream. How the heck does that make any sense?
-Jetstorm is called Runway by Optimus.
-Hotshot is fighting Starscream as payback for Smokescreen's destruction, but Starscream was the only one that wasn't in the attack.
-Smokescreen is re-introduced with Hoist's body, but still called Smokescreen.
Minicon count:
Autobots (27) - Highwire, Sureshot, Grindor, Jolt, Longarm, Sparkplug, Liftor, Spiral, Rollbar, (unknown), Incinerator, Mirage, Downshift, Dirtboss, Bonecrusher, Wreckage, Knockout, Dualor, Buzzsaw, Backtrack, Oval, (generic? Minicon), Nightbeat, Swindle, Jetstorm, Runway, Sonar.
Decepticons (19) - Leader-1, Crumplezone, Blackout, Drillbit, Inferno, Terradive, Thunderwing, Gunbarrel, Fetch, (at least 4 others), Sky Blast, Payload, Astroscope, Oceanglide, Stormcloud, Waterlog.

35 - Rescue
Autobots launch a full assault on the Decepticon base with the help of Starscream, to free Minicons. They find hundreds building a ship for Megatron.
Intro - (hundreds of Minicons)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Why wait so long to attack the Decepticon base, since they've known where it is since episode 16.
-Starscream disobeys Optimus, which is normal for him.
-Perceptor gets lost inside *his own* ship.
-Okay, the Minicon count ends now that they find hundreds of Minicons working for Megatron. But how did the Decepticons manage to get so many? And how did they manage to recapture a number of the ones the Autobots held?
-I can see just about all of the toy Minicons, and heaps of generic ones.
-Megatron is very fast for a tank.
-Animation error, with Megatron being attacked by Starscream and Hotshot, but falling down with Tidal Wave attached.
Minicon count:
Autobots (hundreds)
Decepticons (not a whole lot)

36 - Mars
Starscream and Jetfire head to Mars to find a Minicons. Megatron sets a trap to capture the Star Saber and Skyboom Shield, as Sideways told Thrust that the three Minicon weapons can combine to become a super weapon.
Intro - Commettor, Firebot.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Still no idea why Starscream is allowed to continue holding the Star Saber.
-Jetfire has Commettor already.
-Jetfire handcuffs Starscream, and yet he is still allowed to hold the Star Saber. Why doesn't he just cut through the cuffs?
-Firebot is released and retreived by the Autobots. I think that is the last Minicon to be hunted.
-The closing voice over by Alexis has us thinking that Starscream has the making of an Autobot, but I wonder if it is just one writer not knowing what happens in the next episode.

37 - Crack
Starscream is enticed to return to the Decepticons, for a better chance at getting his revenge on Megatron.
Intro - none
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Starscream is being a bit too nice and empathetic. He is still a Decepticon, and only joined the Autobots as a means to destroy Megatron, something he realises he can do while back with the Decepticons.
-Thrust and Sideways strike up a bit of an alliance.
-Sideways appears to not have any solid form anymore, and now just appears out of thin air all over the place.
-Decepticons being evil is being blamed on 'Decepticon Programming', suggesting that their way of life or allegiance to the Decepticon cause is not by choice.
-Starscream hits Thrust while up in the clouds, and yet Thrust lands against something with a thud, as if he was on the ground.

38 - Threaten
Megatron now possesses the 3 Minicon weapons, and tests it on a comet. (yes, an entire episode, and that's about all that happens)
Intro - none.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Megatron tells Starscream that he has the 3 most powerful weapons in the Universe, but he is only holding 2 of them.
-This Megatron is way too trusting for 'a Megatron', allowing Starscream to just come back and all is forgiven. A real Megatron would still vapourise him for is previous treachery, to set an example to others not to ever question him.
-The combined weapon, called the Hydra Cannon, is not actually the 3 weapons combining, but just their power combined within a special weapon chamber built into the Decepticon Ship, for them.
-Decepticon Ship is launched. It's appearance and conversion to 'weapon-mode' is a bit extravagant for a mere warship.
-To test the Hydra Cannon, they target the comet's tail. They should have been targetting the comet head, as the tail is just vapour and debris.
-Starscream still has concerns about the innocents on the Earth, when Megatron wants them to target it next. He shouldn't have a conscience, and didn't have one at the start of the series.

39 - Crisis
Megatron now targets the Earth with the Hydra Cannon, but Optimus sacrifices himself to protect the planet, and destroy the weapon.
Intro - none.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Slightly altered intro to reflect recent events.
-Autobots are still classing themselves as a secret from humans, but surely by now, with all the battles, the humans should know about them by now.
-Megatron starts calling Thrust 'squidhead', for a bit of comedic relief, or maybe the original Japanese version had something similar.
-Animation error with Decepticon ship near the Earth, but then still near the moon.
-Script error? with the Decepticons not needing to align their ship with the Autobot base to destroy the earth, but then needing to wait until they were aligned with the Autobot base to fire the cannon.
-Script error? with the Autobots not now knowing where the Decepticon ship is.
-Autobots somehow know the name of the Hydra Cannon.
-We see the Matrix for some reason, which becomes a plot device later, but seems a bit like a sudden inclusion in the story.
-Why would Optimus offer the Matrix to Hotshot, if Jetfire is second in command?
-Not explained how Optimus was able to deflect the Hydra Cannon blast, which is powerful enough to destroy a planet.
-Somehow when Optimus was destroyed, it left Sparkplug and his Matrix (actually called 'his Matrix') intact.
40 - Remorse
Hotshot has to prove himself as the new leader of the Autobots, while Megatron faces a world without an equal rival.
Intro - none
Errors/confusion/notes:
-The spark of Optimus was shown to be released as an attempt to explain what had happened last episode.
-Still no plausible reason why Hotshot is suddenly leadership material. It'd be like Bumblebee being leader, or Cheetor... oh wait...
-Megatron mourns the loss of his 'equal' but before and after, he wants him destroyed. I think this 'loss' is inconsistant for his character's meciless behaviour.
-Animation error with Scavenger wearing a Decepticon symbol when fighting Hotshot (maybe an animator assumed anyone fighting Hotshot had to be a Decepticon).

liegeprime
22nd February 2009, 10:16 PM
RE: Where are the parents of the kids in the series?

This also occured a lot in Cybertron series, they even went to another dimension! Some parents these kids have!! Someone should point this to Hasbro that they should stop making TFs stories with too young children going off meeting Strangers like er I dont know Giant f%$@$#g robots from outer space and not telling an adult about it!! Bad influences on young children watching this can easily occur. It's like it's teaching them it's "okay" not to even let your parents know where you are, who you are with and dissapear for like days on end, dont attend school like your supposed to and gallivant like irresponsible brats. No wonder truancy is no big deal with kids these days, even supposed to be adult writers don't care to correct these errors in the stories. At least in G1 Spike was already old enough and working (with his dad as well) that he isn't just loafing around with the Autobots. These kids are just irresponsible, truant brats. Shame on the parents which are equally if not more irresponsible for not even looking after their kids. I mean for disspearing like that they shouldve been grounded for eternity!!
In the new animated Sari is not going to school but is home tutorial, and Prof Sumdac is really more work absorbed so it explains it a little. I shake my head on the parenting shown on all these series.

roller
22nd February 2009, 11:16 PM
i dont know Liege

if my kid was like rad or fred, I'd want them to bugger off with robots:D:D

Dr onishi was kidnapped, and yet Kojis mum shows up like once! im sure in 15 yrs time rad, carlos, alexis and koji will be on a thearapy lounge with Dr Katz:D

poor junko

liegeprime
23rd February 2009, 12:23 AM
They just start out as kids hanging out with alien robots and that's it. They don't even go home at all. What are they runaways, homeless vagrants or just plain delinquents? bah such discrepancies....

griffin
23rd February 2009, 01:04 AM
The time they spent away from home with the TFs really started to bug me as the series progressed, to the point that when they actually featured Rad's parents, it just really didn't make any sense. We have five kids, whom none of them seem to have any worried parents over a period of what may well be many months. They even have their own rooms and bathrooms in the Autobot base (Rad was taking a shower in one episode), suggesting that they lived there for extended periods of time, away from home.
The focus may be on robots to us, but if the writers and Hasbro want the focus to be on the kids for familiarity with the audience, they need to make some sense out of it by rationalising their absence, or having parental involvment/approval of their activities.
It's like their parents just don't even notice or care that they aren't around.

Sky Shadow
23rd February 2009, 07:43 AM

Could you blame them? Who wouldn't be happier if those kids weren't around? Although I did like Alexis's short-lived and rarely followed-up-upon connection with Starscream in the recent episodes you watched. I wish Armada wasn't such a mess - it's the sort of thing I want to like but it's like the series fights against me at every juncture.

i_amtrunks
23rd February 2009, 10:24 AM
The time they spent away from home with the TFs really started to bug me as the series progressed, to the point that when they actually featured Rad's parents, it just really didn't make any sense. We have five kids, whom none of them seem to have any worried parents over a period of what may well be many months. They even have their own rooms and bathrooms in the Autobot base (Rad was taking a shower in one episode), suggesting that they lived there for extended periods of time, away from home.
The focus may be on robots to us, but if the writers and Hasbro want the focus to be on the kids for familiarity with the audience, they need to make some sense out of it by rationalising their absence, or having parental involvment/approval of their activities.

They did learn from this Armada mistake by obtaining the parents permission in Galaxy Force/Cybertron.

I think the parents were just glad to be rid of their kids, especially Fred and Billy's parents (who may or may not have lived in a Caravan)

griffin
23rd February 2009, 02:31 PM
Season 1, Part 2, Disc 3, Episodes 41-47.

41 - Depart
The Autobots prepare to depart Earth to catch the Decepticons.
Intro - (Rad's parents)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-This is the first part of the 'Unicron Battles', making up the last 12 episodes, which is odd that it wasn't 13, to be a 'season' (multiple of 13) in TV terms.
-There is a new intro to reflect the Unicron Battles, which ends up spoiling the return of Optimus later.
-This entire episode relates to the Autobots *preparing* to leave, so very little action, and all talking.
-Highwire speaks English now.
-We see Rad's parents. He tries to explain to them all about the Transformers, but uses too many actual names, confusing them.
-Rad's father works at the observatory, but they've never seen anything of the Transformers out in space or under their noses.
-Rad is 12, but his father lets him go. And what of the parents of the other four kids?
-It's a Saturday, but Rad's mum says he is probably at school.
-Red Alert can't understand the Minicons, which is really inconsistent as to who can understand them.
-Minicons force the Autobots to take the humans with them (on this dangerous mission, to a war that is not theirs).
-The Autobot ship is underwater. Why, or how? They built it from the remnants of the Minicon ship, which was inside a mountain, with no sign of water.
-They call the ship 'Autobot Axalon', after the Beast Wars Maximal ship.
-The kids are given new uniforms (space suits).
-Rad's father is given the location of the abandoned base.
-Megatron tells the Decepticons to ignore the Autobot ship, but could be a translation error.

42 - Miracle
The Autobot ship is targetted by the Decepticons, and it takes the Minicons to protect them and bring back to life their leader, Optimus Prime.
Intro - Optimus, again.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Smokescreen is suddenly called Hoist, and agrees to it.
-Megatron wants to attack the Autobot ship, despite the last episode scripted/translated to suggest otherwise.
-Hundreds of Minicons appear in space, but where did they all come from? They were created to infiltrate Cybertron (learnt later), and were all supposed to be on the ship to Earth. Where did these ones suddenly come from?
-Kids see the image of Unicron again, and his name is finally revealed.
-If they all have Warp technology, why go through an Asteroid field, instead of warping past it, or just directly to Cybertron?
-Iceberg is called 'Junk' by Alexis (which is the Takara Micron name).
-Thrust is now being called 'pencil-head' as well.
-The Autobot's mission was to return to Cybertron to defeat the Decepticons, so why let them leave when they are defeated in the Asteroid field?
-Did the Minicons actually merge with the Matrix, or draw out the 'spark' of Optimus from it? Or something else? The Japanese version maybe explained it, but in this English version, he just appears.
-For some reason, Megatron is happy. Even if he was short-sighted in the past, he still wanted to destroy Optimus later.

43 - Puppet
The Transformers encounter a monster of Unicron, looking like Optimus, but is only defeated when the Autobots and Decepticons join forces.
Intro - Nemesis Prime (with trailer, but never combines with it), Overload. Recoloured Starscream, Hotshot, Red Alert, Megatron (as Galvatron), and Demolishor.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Nemesis Prime - shortest intro ever by a Transformers toy character?
-One off different intro.
-Narrator also explains the return of Optimus as something the Minicons had the power to do, but should they have that power, and why not bring others back?
-Why don't all the new Minicons go inside the ship, instead of just floating in space around the Autobot ship?
-A vortex suddenly appears, and Red Alert and Hotshot are sucked in. It is later said to be on the other side of the universe, but they are close enough for the Decepticons to arrive within a few minutes, and the Autobots soon after.
-The Minicons (who had the power to bring Optimus back to life) now also have the power to 'reformat' several characters (Megatron, Starscream, Demolishor, Hotshot, Red Alert).
-Starscream says he 'looks like Thundercracker', but that isn't a character in the show, or referred to at any other time.
-Megatron suddenly starts calling himself Galvatron, and has to tell people several times to call him that now.
-Overload is suddenly introduced, and appears to be a non-sentient trailer/weapons pack. The partner Minicon is not seen or used. Optimus just calls on it to powerlink to it.
-Nemesis Prime is revealed to be linked to Sideways and Unicron.

44 - Uprising
The Earth Decepticons arrive and launch their attack on Cybertron, devastating it. The Earth Autobots arrive to fight the Decepticon fleet, but another vortex appears. The Minicons intervene again to stop the vortex.
Intro - (none)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-The Decepticons are now at Cybertron, with a huge fleet that easily crushes the Autobots still there. If they already had this huge fleet, they wouldn't have needed to wait for Megatron/Galvatron to return to defeat the Autobots.
-Unicron's vortex appears near Cybertron, but no one even mentions it or seems to notice it for ages.
-Optimus still decides to attack Decepticons on Cybertron, despite just recently acccepting Unicron as a greater threat that they need the Decepticons help in defeating.
-More proof that a Transformers war couldn't exist for millions of years, with the planet trashed in just one short attack and very few survivors.
-Very propaganda-ish when the Earth Autobots arrive on Cybertron and start announcing that Optimus is here to save them. And if the survivors they find on Cybertron aren't Autobots (or Decepticons), then who are they?
-Axalon is incorrectly called Axion.
-Optimus tries to reason with Megatron, but the usual denial of 'a Megatron' to the claims of 'an Optimus' occurs.
-I thought Unicron was on the other side of this (and the other) vortex, but isn't. So what is the point of the vortex, if it isn't a gateway for Unicron?
-Minicons reveal yet another mystical power by forming a shield to block the vortex. I had thought it was to stop Unicron from coming through, but it just stops things being sucked into it.

45 - Dash
As the Decepticons settle into their newly conquered Cybertron, the Earth Autobots rally support from the scattered forces on Cybertron, while Hotshot goes off on his own to convince Galvatron that Unicron is real.
Intro - (none)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-What is the priority for Optimus, defeating Unicron or retaking Cybertron? It seems to alternate from each episode, or at least the translation alternates between the two.
-Scripting error with Red Alert turning to Optimus but addresses Hoist when in the Axalon.
-Animation error with Jetfire coloured red like Optimus.
-Scripting error/omission? Red Alert makes a significant command decision while Optimus just sits in his chair and says nothing for or against it.
-Hotshot enters the Decepticon base on Cybertron, with heaps of shooting all around him, but no one gets hit.
-For some reason suddenly (scripting omission?) Wheeljack stops fighting Hotshot, is friendly to him, and supports his desire to speak to Galvatron.
-Translation error? Thrust says something insignificant to Galvatron, but Galvatron reacts rather agressively towards Thrust suddenly. There is no lead up to this change of relationship, as Thrust was his most loyal, trusted warrior/advisor, but now out of nowhere, Galvatron doesn't trust Thrust at all and is rather hostile to him. I think the original Japanese version probably has more brought to light about Thrust's new allegiance to Unicron before Galvatron turns on him, but in this English version, no one knows anything about his new allegiance until after he is turned on, and he then announces it.
-Animation error, after Thrust picks up Requiem Blaster and Skyboom Shield, he is briefly shown not holding them as he leaves.
-Kids get helmets for their new suits, but each has a different colour. Try understanding the reality of that, in terms of wasted resources by the Autobots to not only create these suits for humans, but to colour code them to help identify each when they have their helmets on...

46 - Drift
The main 3 kids go to Cybertron and learn that Unicron created the Minicons as a way to have both sides wipe each other out and remove all opposition before he attacked. Somehow the kids are briefly sent back in time, and are the reason the Minicons flew to Earth millions of years ago, to find the kids and gain their freedom from Unicron as mere tools of war.
Intro - (none)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Wheeljack not only allows Hotshot the chance to report into Optimus, but also calls Hotshot his buddy. More bad translation perhaps, as the pair suddenly put behind them their personal conflict without anything to say why.
-Script error with Alexis saying that Wheeljack has been on their side 'for a while'.
-Translation error with Wheeljack criticising Thrust for being a traitor, but that's hypocritical.
-Nude shower scene with Rad and Carlos... :p
-Only the main 3 kids go to Cybertron, but makes sense later.
-Cybertron appears to have an organic core like in Beast Machines.
-If the Minicons are created by Unicron, why doesn't he excert control over the Transformers when they are powerlinked to Minicons?

47 - Portent
A portal from within Cybertron leads to one of the moons, and the Transformers discover that Unicron was a lot closer than they originally thought.
Intro - Unicron (bits of him anyway).
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Starscream continues to act more like an Autobot than a Decepticon, or a 'traditional' Starscream.
-Script error, with Alexis saying that Starscream found them and brought them down to the planet (Cybertron), but they met him while they were down inside the planet.
-Autobots signal a retreat, but they have already signaled the retreat a couple of episodes ago.
-Hotshot and Wheeljack can link up as if it was a toy related gimmick, but the toys don't.
-Animation errors with Sideways and Thrust occasionally not being drawn with the Minicon weapons while they have them.
-Sureshock is called Grindor by Alexis.
-I really can't believe that in millions of years, Unicron would have remained dormant, and the inhabitants of Cybetron wouldn't have found him within that nearby moon. In a war of territory, the moons would have been acquired and occupied ages ago, either as bases or staging grounds, and suitably explored for resources. Even if the exterior was rock, the metallic interior would have been discovered eventually and mined (which would have awoken Unicron).

Paulbot
23rd February 2009, 02:58 PM
Kids get helmets for their new suits, but each has a different colour. Try understanding the reality of that, in terms of wasted resources by the Autobots to not only create these suits for humans, but to colour code them to help identify each when they have their helmets on...

Maybe the Autobots need those colour-coded helemts because all those humans look alike to them... :p

griffin
26th February 2009, 01:27 PM
Season 1, Part 2, Disc 4, Episodes 48-52.

48 - Cramp
As Optimus tries to subdue Galvatron into joining forces with the Autobots against Unicron, Starscream intervenes and sacrifices his life to force the alliance. During the confusion, Sideways grabs the Star Saber, to take back to Unicron.
Intro - More of Unicron's bits.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Starscream says he'd never cross Galvatron. Huh? Is he technically being truthful, in that he would only ever cross 'Megatron', but not 'Galvatron'? Otherwise, that sounds like a scripting error.
-What is the meaning of this title? The theme of mostly single word titles is an interesting concept, but some are a stretch in terms of relevance, and others like this one don't really jump out as being obvious or related to the primary theme of the episode.
-Translation error, as Galvatron tells Tidalwave to attack, but the animation suggests he told him to back off, as it was his fight.
-A real Megatron/Galvatron would just shrug off a loss, and wouldn't put any thought or concern into 'such heroic nonsense'. Starscream's sacrifice shouldn't have affected Galvatron at all, as an emotional feeling of loss is not a Decepticon trait, much less a trait of a Decepticon leader, who only sees his troops as mere tools to obtain his objective of being ultimate ruler of the universe. An ambition that wouldn't be shared with fellow Decepticons if ever obtained, or detered if one of his soldiers was lost along the way. It makes for an interesting sub-plot in Armada, but realistically, this Megatron/Galvatron reacts like an Autobot to the loss, and is a significant flaw to this series if certain characters aren't consistent or behave in a plausible manner.
-Additionally, as inconsistant characterisation, Starscream is saying as he dies, that he was always trying to prove himself to Megatron, like some sort of role model, but throughout the series he had contempt for Megatron and wanted to replace or destroy him. That sort of conflicting behaviour wouldn't happen if they had a 'character bible' from the beginning, like Gen1 did. That way the writers could stick to a certain character type, and not jump between conflicting character types.

49 - Alliance
Awakened by the power of the three Minicon weapons, Unicron is finally fully revealed. A small group attempts a pre-emptive strike, but have to retreat as Unicron transforms.
Intro - Unicron in both modes, Bug/Dead End Drones.
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Galvatron is going on about how noble Starscream's sacrifice was, and respecting him like a father to a son. Oh please... This is Galvatron/Megatron, not Optimus. This is just out of character for this type of character, and for the existing behaviour of him in this series.
-Unicron is finally fully revealed, 4th-last episode of the 52 episode series.
-Animation error, the Decepticons return to their base and are surrounded by giant-sized Minicons.
-Unicron appears to be impervious, or indestructible.
-Quite a few background extras look like Gen1 Transformers, like in a couple of earlier episodes.
-The Bug/Dead End 'Minicon' is only introduced as a non-transformable pack of drones within Unicron.
-The transformation sequence for Unicron was as good as the Gen1 Movie transformation.
-Cyclonus is hanging over a ledge, and is at risk of falling... the writers do realis he can fly in both modes, or at the very least, transform into a helicopter to fly to safety???
-Jet Convoy is now called Jet Optimus.

50 - Union
The united armada of Transformers attacks Unicron inside and out.
Intro - (none)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-The word 'armada' is used for the only time in this series, and there hasn't been any real point in the storyline that it could be used in a meaningful way.
-Script error(?), with someone saying that Cybertron is his 'new target', in a way to suggest that he was targetting something else at this time. It's been his only target for the last few million years.
-Demolishor has Hoist's voice and talks about the current status of Unicron in a much too intelligent manner for his character.
-The neck of Unicron is designated the weakspot, without any reasoning mentioned.
-Overload is called Ultra Magnus.
-Thrust is suddenly shown to be incompetent, for someone who is a brilliant strategist, and gets caught up in parts of Unicron that is 'transforming'. Thrust can teleport, so the writers had to 'forget' it, because Thrust was too intelligent to not get out before he was crushed to death.
-The Star Saber is called Perceptor by Highwire.
-The underground portal to Unicron still exists, as Red Alert knows, so why didn't Optimus and Megatron use it, instead of flying to Unicron and fighting their way in?
-The Minicons form a giant green energy field in the shape of Unicron, which was the inspiration for a limited edition JP Unicron recolour toy.

51 - Origin
While Unicron is within the body of Sideways, Optimus and Megatron fight and destroy him, leaving his giant body adrift in space.
Intro - (none)
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Sideways is revealed to be a part of Unicron, and Unicron actualy takes over his body. He also reveals that the war and hatred between Autobots and Decepticons actually feeds him, making him stronger. He also confirms that the Minicons are a part of him, and as such, is able to regain control over them, like the puppets the kids saw when they went back in time. The 'green Unicron' formed by the Minicons dissipates, and all the battle damage on Unicron is repaired, leaving the Transformers thinking that they have lost.
-The kids call on their Minicons 'partners' to wake up and break free from Unicron's control. In doing so, Unicron is destracted, and Optimus and Megatron are able to destroy Sideways while Unicron is within him.
-So is Unicron really dead, or just temporarily disabled...
-Optimus is suddenly recoloured into the blue Powerlinx version, without any explination (in the english version at least).
-Sureshock is called Grindor by Alexis.

52 - Mortal Combat
Everyone thinks Unicron is defeated, but the hatred and conflict between Optimus and Galvatron start to bring him to life. Galvatron sacrifices himself to save Cybertron, and Unicron and Optimus disappear.
Intro - Rhinox (for half a second).
Errors/confusion/notes:
-Everyone is quick to assume Unicron is dead, but with Galvatron wanting to renew his fight with Optimus, their hatred begins to refuel Unicron.
-Talk, talk, talk.... there's a lot of it in this episode, making this series a lot more drawn out than it needed. But Energon is much worse, so I guess it makes a good lead in to what to expect in the next series.
-Once again the character of Galvatron doesn't make sense, with him being happy to have a truce, and then wanting to fight with blind rage, but then later wanting to sacrifice himself for all Cybertronians.
-Galvatron is called Megatron by Optimus. (naming errors all the way to the end...)
-Unicron vanishes somehow to another part of the universe, but exists as a cliffhanger to the series. His form is intact in planet mode, but I don't think that is reflected in Energon.
-Optimus disappears as well, floating through space with the Matrix.
-The kids are returned to Earth, and were gone for ages... But this is fiction, so unless you see their parents, they don't even exist, to be concerned about where their kids have been.
-A number of loose ends now exist (hundreds of Minicons, Unicron at large and intact, Optimus missing, Megatron is still Galvatron), which I don't recall being covered in Energon. But I'll find out soon enough, as I'll be watching that series next. Before that though, there will be a brief look at the Armada toys and comics as well, to wrap up this reloading of Armada.

SilverDragon
26th February 2009, 07:38 PM
RE: Where are the parents of the kids in the series?

This also occured a lot in Cybertron series, they even went to another dimension! Some parents these kids have!! Someone should point this to Hasbro that they should stop making TFs stories with too young children going off meeting Strangers like er I dont know Giant f%$@$#g robots from outer space and not telling an adult about it!! Bad influences on young children watching this can easily occur. It's like it's teaching them it's "okay" not to even let your parents know where you are, who you are with and dissapear for like days on end, dont attend school like your supposed to and gallivant like irresponsible brats. No wonder truancy is no big deal with kids these days, even supposed to be adult writers don't care to correct these errors in the stories. At least in G1 Spike was already old enough and working (with his dad as well) that he isn't just loafing around with the Autobots. These kids are just irresponsible, truant brats. Shame on the parents which are equally if not more irresponsible for not even looking after their kids. I mean for disspearing like that they shouldve been grounded for eternity!!
In the new animated Sari is not going to school but is home tutorial, and Prof Sumdac is really more work absorbed so it explains it a little. I shake my head on the parenting shown on all these series.

Yeah. It is kind of weird, this parental absence, especially since their offspring are fighting giant space gods and giant evil robots. You'd think they'd think twice if they were asked "Mum, can I go fight the planet-eater Unicron?"

At least Animated gets it right, with Prof Sumdac being too wrapped up in his work to keep Sari out of trouble, and so trusting the Autobots to take care of her. Even so, they do show he's concerned for her-'Survival of the Fittest' comes to mind.

roller
27th February 2009, 08:31 AM
-A number of loose ends now exist (hundreds of Minicons, Unicron at large and intact, Optimus missing, Megatron is still Galvatron), which I don't recall being covered in Energon. .

yeah im pretty sure they never tied much up in Energon, im pretty sure i complained about it, i think optimus was just back on Earth and alive and well in the first ep of Energon.

Ahhh the energon cartoon, you'd think it'd get better after the Ferox Unicron battles, but thats just crazy talk! :D