PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracies - What Would You Do?

jaydisc
10th February 2009, 02:52 PM
Let's say you were privy to a secret plot to get rid of one of your co-workers. Let's say you were invited to participate.... in writing even.

Let's then say that you found out that one of the managers was part of the plot too? And that manager and the owner were close friends.

How could you find out if the owner was aware? Or if they were even part of the conspiracy? Would you risk your own job taking a chance and approaching the owner? Would you try to approach a friendly manager first?

Hereticpoo
10th February 2009, 02:58 PM
Dont go any where near the managers. 99% of managers are but kissers who don't want to rock the boat and they would scurry to your boss and squeel like a rat.

Go direct to the boss on this. Avoid the chinese whispers. Is your co-worker worth taking a hit for? If he is then do risk it. If he's 'just a guy you work with' then maybe let it go....Hypothetically. :) Again, stay away from the managers!

Paulbot
10th February 2009, 03:15 PM
Talk to the friendly manager.

kup
10th February 2009, 03:16 PM
Don't do anything you know is immoral or unethical. Take it to HR and ask for advice and confidentiality.

1orion2many
10th February 2009, 03:19 PM
:confused::confused:personally I do have a friendly manager that I do go to when there is rumours floating around my work. If you trust someone then you trust them and should be able to discuss things with them. Do what you think is right and fair.;)

iceburn
10th February 2009, 03:37 PM
fire myself and take the $$ compensation. use the $$ for a good holiday or buy more TFs

Sam
10th February 2009, 03:58 PM
In addition to what the others have said ... document everything you can and store it somewhere safe. This is so if anyone involved decides to backstab you for refusing to behave unethically, you have something to use...

roller
10th February 2009, 04:46 PM
what kind of work do you do Jaydisc?!!!! :eek:

autobreadticon
10th February 2009, 08:28 PM
what kind of work do you do Jaydisc?!!!! :eek:

Jay is the computer technican working on the Metroplex Space station funded by the Trillion loss in the world financial markets to send the two most sexiest people on Earth to live in space for 20 years, where they will procreate mankind, this is due to a giant comic in two years which will hit the world ,which will alter the axis of the magentic poles by 0.00000045 degrees , this is cause major natural disasters around the world...

roller
10th February 2009, 08:32 PM
wow!!!:eek:

i always pictured him as a gruff barber shop owner

kinda like that old guy in Gran torino trailers

the famous guy

jaydisc
10th February 2009, 08:47 PM
this is due to a giant comic in two years which will hit the world

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/giant-comic.jpg

STL
10th February 2009, 11:17 PM
Let's say you were privy to a secret plot to get rid of one of your co-workers. Let's say you were invited to participate.... in writing even.

Let's then say that you found out that one of the managers was part of the plot too? And that manager and the owner were close friends.

How could you find out if the owner was aware? Or if they were even part of the conspiracy? Would you risk your own job taking a chance and approaching the owner? Would you try to approach a friendly manager first?

There's the moral and ethical line, then there's the pragmatic course. Unfortunately, there are not always win-win situations. And this is one of them. It happens a lot.

Even if you talk to the friendly manager though u run the risk of appearing to want to involve them in it. That could potentially backfire too as a lot of people like to be kept out of these type of conflicts.

I don't want to sound sexist but if a female is a head conspirator here, you're probably going to have to lock in the side with the majority. Of course, you need to feel out the owner to, to see whose side he would take which I'm asuming is his close friend manager.

Me personally? I'd feel out the situation first and not get my hands dirty. I'd try to voice my opinion but if I know I'm a minority, I'd hang onto my job. Yes my conscience would hurt but there's a fine line between poverty and principle at times. Which is sad I must concede.

jaydisc
12th February 2009, 02:21 PM
Update:

The nice manager was given some evidence and seemingly nothing has happened since, meaning one or many of the following possibilities:

1. It didn't make it to the owner.
2. The owner hasn't had time to deal with it
3. The owner doesn't care
4. The owner was part of/aware of the conspiracy

Any of the above except for number 2 are quite disappointing. Let's hope it's #2.

Paulbot
12th February 2009, 02:24 PM
I don't know your workplace of course... but I would say it's number 2.

Of course there could be a whole lot of other reasons or things happening in the offices other than those 4 that you are not aware of, and are jumping to conclusions from a rather limited point of view?

1orion2many
12th February 2009, 03:34 PM
It can take a while to sort out problems in a work place when everything isn't black and white, evidince can be presented but the person accused of wrong doing still has the right to defend themselves. It can take a couple of weeks or more sometimes to sort out fact from fiction at my work. Give it time I'm sure it'll be worked through.

roller
12th February 2009, 10:33 PM
when you say get rid of one of your co workers, do you mean 'get rid of' or 'get rid of'?

do you like the coworker or is he annoying?

iceburn
12th February 2009, 11:14 PM
is it real or just for discussion?
jay, sorry if it's really happening to your workplace....
the joke above was just something that struck me with my supervisor and lead tester being retrenched awhile back.