PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro 'Product' Images

Hereticpoo
19th February 2009, 04:18 PM
False Advertising?

Hasbro's official images and box art pictures of transformers look fantastic.

Eg, G1 Masterpiece Starscream box pictures looked stunning...

He was depicted with vibrant reds and blues, he had beautifull silver metallic's, he had panel markings and a gritty greyish/white paint application.

The toy itself looked like the colours had been matched after being bleached.

Then there's Pinkimus Prime.....

And all of the official pics from the latest Toy Fare...

...have that crispy photoshop gleam on them. Surely this is false advertising? The product in the box looks similiar, but not as nice as they are 'advertised'.

Should there be disclaimers on the packaging stating that the actual figure doesn't have the same colouring as the official images?

I think there should be.....

iceburn
19th February 2009, 04:27 PM
According to my sources:

There is a disclaimer by Hasbro, it says "product and colors may vary" on the bottom right of each packaging/box

roller
19th February 2009, 05:06 PM
yeah what iceburn wrote

they know how to cover their arses

Hereticpoo
19th February 2009, 05:16 PM
According to my sources:

There is a disclaimer by Hasbro, it says "product and colors may vary" on the bottom right of each packaging/box

Well butter my butt and call me a bisciut, there is too.

I never noticed it before! Sneaky sods :D

roller
19th February 2009, 05:21 PM
im pretty sure its been there since day 1 aichP :) its definetly on my g2 boxes

Sam
19th February 2009, 05:23 PM
When they write "product and colors may vary", it's their way of saying "The stuff we sell you usually looks uglier and is of poorer quality than what we use for marketing purposes."

I reckon Macca's should also put this disclaimer in their restaurants. Their Big Macs are simply up-sized cheeseburgers.

iceburn
19th February 2009, 05:23 PM
poo, i read that the UK 25th Anniversary G1 Optimus Prime has a darker red and should be better....see if you can find it and obtain that if preferred.

Adzma
19th February 2009, 05:41 PM
According to my sources:

Bingo. I first noticed it on 20th Anniversary Prime. It was essential for him because the boxart featured long smoke stacks and the burn marks actually looked real as opposed to black smudges.

FFN
19th February 2009, 07:15 PM
Welcome to all stock photography using hand-painted prototypes from the past 15-odd years (and possibly longer), from both Hasbro and Takara.

GoktimusPrime
20th February 2009, 10:25 AM
Hasbro has used that disclaimer since 1984 and it covered them for photo to toy discrepancies such as Bluestreak, Astrotrain, Slag, Perceptor etc.

But I share your frustration Hereticpoo -- the level of "simulated effects" that Hasbro uses on their photography now means that you really can't trust what you see and end up waiting for other people to take regular photos. The latest issue of ToyFare magazine has a photo of TF2 Mech Alive Optimus Prime - the truck mode is taken from Hasbro's photography, so it's all dolled up, but the robot mode isn't (probably taken by a ToyFare photographer), so I trust that photo more.

Then there's the number of times Transformers are mistransformed in Hasbro's photos!! I know why it happens, but it still sucks. :( I find Takara's product photos are better in terms of actually looking more like the toy and being transformed correctly. Takara just makes their pictures look good by using good photography rather than using excessive digital modification.

FFN
21st February 2009, 03:15 AM
Too right. It didn't notice until Toy Fair last week that you could actually tilt the sun visors on Prime's windows so they are angled like the movie bot, and that the smokestack halves on his back rotated around to conceal them.

Essentially, Hasbro is just a big corporate bureaucracy, so it's simpler for everybody to send their toys to a central all-company studio, or even an outside studio.

liegeprime
21st February 2009, 07:42 AM
"Product and colors may vary"

Hehehehe that would explain Bumper a lot..... It says Bumblebee or Cliffjumper in the pics and packaging but there's him inside ;P. As Gok said they've been having the disclaimer since the beginning so the discrepancies stem all the way from G1... it all goes back to G1 hehehehe

MV75
21st February 2009, 06:16 PM
And there's some other garbage about those chops only supposedly being for toy store managers eyes only to sell product to them, blah blah blah. Still bait and switch to me.

I mean breakaway looked freaking orgasmic, until the true picture came along..... I dig the mould, but the colours arn't that great.

Lint
21st February 2009, 07:42 PM
hasbro's false advertising does annoy me. Sif show me how beautiful a toy CAN look at then sell me a poorly painted item which looks like a knockoff in comparison to the product image.

Lord_Zed
21st February 2009, 08:00 PM
Hasbro's false advertising has bothered me since childhood. so many times the picture on the back would have better colours or more paint apps than the toy you actualy got.

I guess that's always been part of the lucky dip in buying Transformers, will a TF packaged in alt mode look as cool in robot mode as the picture on the back, Hasbro dare you to find out.