PDA

View Full Version : Movie Ironhide vs. Movie Ratchet (Melbourne Meet aftermath)

jaydisc
1st February 2008, 11:57 AM
I think one of my favorite moments at the Melbourne meet was when STL took out my Movie Ironhide and we agreed that it was simply the best movie figure hands down. At this point, Demonac, supported by lhec, diametrically opposed this assertion and a fantastic argument ensued.

Before this, I had assumed that there were two types of people in this world: Transformer Collectors vs. those that don't collect. Never could I have expected such an equally great divide within the ranks of the collectors. :D

So, I pose it to all of you. Which camp are you in? And why?

Saintly
1st February 2008, 12:02 PM
not sure if i understand the question, jay

Paulbot
1st February 2008, 12:06 PM
Do I think Voyager Ratchet is better than Voyager Ironhide?

Yes. I'm on Ratchet's side especially with the Rescue Ratchet colouring.

Ironhide's incomplete chest and that pain-in-the-axle alignment to transform back into vehicle mode annoy me.

Ironhide is good quality, like an Alternator level, but not as fun to play with as Ratchet.

jaydisc
1st February 2008, 12:17 PM
One of you didn't vote!

TheDirtyDigger
1st February 2008, 12:18 PM
Oh man!!!:(

Both mine are still MISB and I haven't played with them out of the box but judging by how they look still packed I would have to align myself in the Ironhide camp.

1orion2many
1st February 2008, 12:19 PM
:DCaptain Krusty of course:D.

STL
1st February 2008, 12:37 PM
Ah, this fond conversation. lol I believe pics is the only way to settle this. I'll dig some up later.

Ratchet's poses and hence fun value are so much more limited in comparison to Ironhide's. Ratchet doesn't even have waist articulation and he has a half coloured axe and a roof that becomes his claw... pretty lame.

Ratchet isn't a terrible figure but he pales in the light of brilliance.

Saintly
1st February 2008, 01:09 PM
oh i should have asked... did one needed to be present at the time of the argument to vote? :)

if so, please void my vote (the sole vote for "they both rule")

iceburn
1st February 2008, 01:19 PM
i didnt take sides as i felt both are equally not bad nor good.
Ratchet is rather bulky for a toy and Ironhide seems filmsy esp the legs
if to choose really, transformation for Ironhide is more entrigging whereas Ratchet is simple and fast

Thanatos
1st February 2008, 01:23 PM
Wow making me decide ey? Fair enough.

Ironhide has his fair share of excellence and disapointments. I love the enormous gatling guns and the sheer feeling of imposing that comes with Ironhide. As a display piece, I feel Ironhide is far superior. The figure gives me fond memories of the film since well, he was actually in it for more than 10 seconds, where Ratchet has what... 5 lines maximum? Then of course there's the bad. One malignment and the whole thing doesn't fit into place, in fact when I got back into collecting, this figure frustrated me. The chest and flimsy shoulders also bug me, the lack of articulation in the neck, as well as poor placement of the guns in alt mode and the lack of bigger smokestacks leave Ironhide a little less loved by me than I wish I could. The repaint doesn't make much sense either (Offroad Ironhide). Blue? WHY!? G1 Repaint Ironhide was just screaming to be done.

Ratchet is cool, the fluro green and the demeanor actually remind me not of G1 Ratchet but BW Rhinox (to an extent). I like the fact is all comes together so easily. He's not without flaws either. It would be excellent if he had some waist articulation but overall works very well as a play figure. Plus the G1 Rescue Ratchet repaint was awesome.

What we're really comparing is apples and oranges. Ironhide is an imposing and beautiful display piece in both modes, whereas Ratchet is far more friendly, a bit more kid-aimed. Both are wonderful pieces and I honestly couldn't join one side of the camp. Overall, if I was gun to my head, I'd say Ironhide, but thats more the movie appearance than anything. No screen time hurts the fondness of the character.

Ask easier questions next time like Cybertron Voyagers vs Movie Voyagers. Cybertron for life!

jaydisc
1st February 2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the great write up Thanatos. And everyone's opinion and votes are welcome Saintly.

Pipesqueak
1st February 2008, 01:32 PM
Ratchet is an easy winner here.

1. Ironhide looked much the better of the two in the movie but Ratchet got beefed up in the toy version whereas Ironhide became positively anorexic. You have to pose him in such a way as to detract attention from how skinny he is.

2. Ratchet can stand flat-footed in a lot of poses whereas Ironhide always has to balance on the insides of his feet which doesn't look as good.

3. Ratchet has a brilliant, fun transformation whereas Ironhide can be infuriating to get back into vehicle mode.

4. Ratchet is a more solid toy. Ironhide needs much more careful handling and is therefore less fun.

i_amtrunks
1st February 2008, 03:04 PM
I voted for the 'Hide, but I do loves me the Ratchet as well. Ratchet would have won if the Rescue Ratchet Paint Scheme was the main scheme.

I also think the fact that I had Ironhide for nearly 3 months before Ratchet influenced me alot.

Saintly
1st February 2008, 04:00 PM
off the topic.. I think the new board's polling graphs are much prettier :)

GoktimusPrime
1st February 2008, 09:24 PM
I voted for both - but I prefer Ratchet a bit over Ironhide because it is a more solid toy. But they're both fantastic figures. :)

dirge
3rd February 2008, 01:19 AM
Ironhide because:

+ The transformation is more ambitious
+ The transformation _works_. I don't find him hard to align in either mode
+ He has huge cannons, rather than some odd claw
+ Ratchet has trouble aligning his green painted doors to his green plastic

I like Ratchet, but Ironhide is easily my favourite of the two.

Soundwarp
3rd February 2008, 09:02 AM
I like em both!