PDA

View Full Version : Botcon 2009 toys revealed....

iceburn
25th February 2009, 07:27 AM
Link: http://www.botcon.com/BotCon09/figurePRE09.cfm

First up...it's kup. Well, not a mould that i think should be used or was expecting but well, it'll take some time to get used to.

http://images.icebu12n.multiply.com/image/1/photos/95/500x500/1/kup1.jpg?et=z74KAMuo5oI1%2Cnduyo9Prw&nmid=212071433
http://images.icebu12n.multiply.com/image/1/photos/95/500x500/6/kup6.jpg?et=iMHL3D63vstmjpPbwTE5HQ&nmid=212071433

Not sure what's next....

STL
25th February 2009, 07:32 AM
good head mold, but not sure abt the rest of him.

Doubledealer
25th February 2009, 07:56 AM
That thing is absolutely hideous.

Bartrim
25th February 2009, 08:12 AM
Use that head mould on a animated Prime (Cybertron mode) and I think you have a winner. That mould has been used too much.

Tetsuwan Convoy
25th February 2009, 08:26 AM
+1

Odd that the elite guard stems from animated and yet they are going on about G1 characters. Shame about the theme, I must say I am disappointed... If it was animated Kup, I would be jumping all over the place

i_amtrunks
25th February 2009, 08:55 AM
Anyone else feel this set has been influenced by "the Great War" clips shown at the beginning of Animated?

Love the fact that we are meant to be getting Kup, Skyquake and Thunderclash, but not overly impressed with Kup...

I love the Kup Character from G1, and Cybertron Red Alert is one of my favourite figures from the Cybertron line, but the two together just isn't all that enticing. The new head is great, but I'm not sold on the claw hand (two normal hands would have been best).

And he strikes me more as an Animated Sentinel Prime tribute than Kup...

Paulbot
25th February 2009, 09:02 AM
Cool head, and the colours work, but as I mentioned in another post, I'm disappointed it's not Animated figures.

Kyle
25th February 2009, 11:14 AM
Nice prediction by Jay!

So I think it's definitely G1/Classics/Universe Elite Guard, thus.... not Animated :(

Thanatos
25th February 2009, 12:05 PM
I totally dig that. The "young Kup" head is totally rad, but another mould may have suited better. Don't know what though. I'm kind of glad it's not animated, because that would have held very little interest for me indeed.

Sky Shadow
25th February 2009, 12:27 PM
What the hell were they thinking? Were they thinking? So on Cybertron, years before Kup got his usual unearthly-looking-pickup-truck-from-which-he-canonically-got-his-name vehicle mode, he transformed into what looks like a down-to-Earth ambulance. Why exactly? Now it would make more sense for him to be called Lance. (Ambulance?) Awful mould choice and colours (and I actually like both that mould and Kup. A lot.) If this had been Animated Cybertron Prime it would be awesome. As it is, I wouldn't even spend $15 on it.

Lord_Zed
25th February 2009, 01:23 PM
I'm confused is this Animated Kup, or Universe Kup, or Classics Kup, Or Movie Kup or Ugly Kup or what?? Help me out here.

Does this hideous beast mean we won't be getting a real Kup for either Animated or the Universe line? If so that sucks! And I'm not even a Kup fan.

Can't help but notice his head looks youthfull an not at all like the old Kup we know, is youg Kup a time traveller or something?

Thanatos
25th February 2009, 01:35 PM
No I think this story is set "pre-G1", like, it's one of the stories that Kup is always telling the other Autobots.

Sky Shadow
25th February 2009, 01:37 PM
Can't help but notice his head looks youthfull an not at all like the old Kup we know, is youg Kup a time traveller or something?

This is young Kup. Despite the fact that the vehicle mode looks like 20th-21st century Earth, I believe the storyline is set in Cybertron's past.

Paulbot
25th February 2009, 01:40 PM
I don't think it means we can't one day get a Classics or Animated Kup, it just means when we do it wont be Cybertron Red Alert with a new head! :)

Gutsman Heavy
25th February 2009, 02:01 PM
nice noggin, good colours, bad mold choice.

reillyd
25th February 2009, 04:36 PM
What the hell were they thinking? Were they thinking? So on Cybertron, years before Kup got his usual unearthly-looking-pickup-truck-from-which-he-canonically-got-his-name vehicle mode, he transformed into what looks like a down-to-Earth ambulance. Why exactly? Now it would make more sense for him to be called Lance. (Ambulance?) Awful mould choice and colours (and I actually like both that mould and Kup. A lot.) If this had been Animated Cybertron Prime it would be awesome. As it is, I wouldn't even spend $15 on it.

AAAARGGH! I hate continuity errors, and now that you've pointed it out I won't be able to ignore it. Kup was old on 20th C Earth, and now he's a young ambulance.

GoktimusPrime
25th February 2009, 07:29 PM
This is great... I have absolutely no interest in getting this toy which means it's one less expensive exclusive toy that I would ever care about. :D

lcz128
25th February 2009, 07:54 PM
Nice prediction by Jay!

... or to some... NOT nice prediction :(

MV75
25th February 2009, 08:44 PM
I've already got Kup from the cybertron line. It's called "Brakedown gts".

roller
25th February 2009, 10:10 PM
this is weird War Within Kup looks nothing like this toy

maybe its a micro continuity or a new continuity, i dont like the look of the toy.

GoktimusPrime
27th February 2009, 10:28 AM
And nothing like War Within Kup either (I don't think it's meant to be). Seems to be in Galaxy Force/Cybertron continuity as part of the "Cybertron Defence" sub-group.

Paulbot
27th February 2009, 11:09 AM
And nothing like War Within Kup either (I don't think it's meant to be). Seems to be in Galaxy Force/Cybertron continuity as part of the "Cybertron Defence" sub-group.

I don't mind that there are similar groups across continuity.

Eg Cybertron Defence = Elite Guard = Wreckers

The most powerful or most effective fighters as a special team.

================

In my imagination groups like these are an evolution of the legends of the Ark/Nemesis crew.

Eg Optimus Prime took with him his elite soldiers (as well as support staff?). After the Ark was lost Xaaron assembled a team of his elite warriors that in time became known by 1986, as the Wreckers.

Megatron took his elite warriors with him to attack the Ark. After this Decepticons leaders on Cybertron continued to have a group of elite warriors that in time became known as the Mayhem Attack Squad. The group of Cons marching on Iacon in Target: 2006 I suggest are a "Mayhem Attack Squad", and Time Wars saw the next incarnation.

I kind of like the idea of each leader hand picking his core team of soldiers (but you know that might be the influence of all those X-Men comics I have coming in to play) :)

STL
28th February 2009, 09:59 AM
I kind of like the idea of each leader hand picking his core team of soldiers (but you know that might be the influence of all those X-Men comics I have coming in to play) :)

You're not alone there. Anyone who reads superhero teams has that weakness. :o

In my mind, I'm trying to justify this as Kup leaving Cybetron with his handpicked team too. I've always wondered where he was in the intervening millions of years between the Ark leaving Cybertron and then TFTM

Unfortunately, he's not the most convincing mold for a leader. If it weren't for the G1ish ness of this set, I doubt I'd have gone after it.

Sky Shadow
28th February 2009, 10:50 AM
In my mind, I'm trying to justify this as Kup leaving Cybetron with his handpicked team too. I've always wondered where he was in the intervening millions of years between the Ark leaving Cybertron and then TFTM

In the Marvel comics he hung around on Cybertron for a long while but then got so tired of the millions of years of war that he chose to retire and float through space in a ship for hundreds of years, waiting to die. But then he met Hot Rod and Blurr (and - in the eighties - they joined Fortress Maximus's troops, went to Nebulos and Earth.) In the cartoons we saw flashbacks to a young clean, green and unwrinkled Kup when he was on the planet Dread.

Surprisingly, in neither G1 continuity of flashbacks pre-dating Earth's industrial revolution did Kup ever look like a Dodge Magnum.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/05-07_Dodge_Magnum_SXT.jpg/800px-05-07_Dodge_Magnum_SXT.jpg

Strange. ;)

Sky Shadow
28th February 2009, 01:03 PM
http://images.icebu12n.multiply.com/image/1/photos/95/500x500/6/kup6.jpg?et=iMHL3D63vstmjpPbwTE5HQ&nmid=212071433

I just noticed that this ancient Cybertronian vehicle - from before the days of Micromasters and Nebulans - also has door handles and rear view mirrors.

I know I'm harping on about this, but this mould is idiotic for either Kup or this storyline. Does anyone else think that when OTCC plotted this out they were expecting to be able to use Animated toys and that this was supposed to be a retool of Cybertron Mode Optimus Prime? Nobody in their right mind could have chosen this mould and designed this toy on purpose...

griffin
28th February 2009, 10:29 PM
Wait and see what the BotCon story covers first, or what 'universe' it is in. No point in getting worked up on assumptions, before we even know how they try to explain these figures.

i_amtrunks
3rd March 2009, 10:26 AM
Botcon Scourge (http://www.botcon.com/BotCon09/figurePRE09.cfm)

Interesting mold choice, like Kup it's not what I would have picked but it's not that terrible.

Colours dont look too crash hot, but I guess they will look better in person.

jaydisc
3rd March 2009, 10:43 AM
Doh.... Scourge doesn't look that bad.... the head is great!

What a wasted opportunity for HasTak. Had Scourge hit retail, so many collectors would have made sweep armies by buying multiples.... That ain't gonna happen with a Botcon fig.... poop

Sky Shadow
3rd March 2009, 10:43 AM
Botcon Scourge (http://www.botcon.com/BotCon09/figurePRE09.cfm)

Much better - at least it looks like it could actually be a Cybertronian form. So I guess this is an alternate continuity if Scourge exists alongside a young Kup. (Unless Scourge is in the present while old Kup is telling his story about the past.)

kup
3rd March 2009, 10:52 AM
I am not a fan of what has been announced in regards to the theme of the set and toys so far. They are not capturing my attention and imagination like Botcon06 and 07 did.

Paulbot
3rd March 2009, 10:59 AM
Not the first toy that comes to mind but it looks alright.

So I guess this is an alternate continuity if Scourge exists alongside a young Kup. (Unless Scourge is in the present while old Kup is telling his story about the past.)

Timetravel? Scourge has been known to have been shunted back to Cybertron's past before.

STL
3rd March 2009, 11:16 AM
What a wasted opportunity for HasTak. Had Scourge hit retail, so many collectors would have made sweep armies by buying multiples.... That ain't gonna happen with a Botcon fig.... poop

My army! My army!!! :( :( :(

i_amtrunks
3rd March 2009, 11:28 AM
Not the first toy that comes to mind but it looks alright.

Timetravel? Scourge has been known to have been shunted back to Cybertron's past before.

Marvel G1 had a time travelling Scourge, while DW had Scourge online in the distant past.

And who says that Unicron didnt base his designs for G1 Scourge on an ancient warrior? :p

jaydisc
3rd March 2009, 12:07 PM
Non-Attending and loose sets sold out.

Paulbot
3rd March 2009, 12:27 PM
Doh.... Scourge doesn't look that bad.... the head is great!

I still like to think that with these versions of Kup and Scourge are different looking enough to what a Classics Kup and Classics Scourge might look like, that those two characters could be released as non-repaints in the 2010 post-movie Universe line.

Sleeve
3rd March 2009, 12:27 PM
Possible Botcon exclusives - Skyquake and Leozak. (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/conventions-15/image-of-botcon-2009-exclusive-energon-starscream-repaints---skyquake-and-leozak-166950/)

griffin
3rd March 2009, 01:13 PM
I wonder if they would release another lion minicon redeco to be Leozak's Breast partner, or if they would steer clear of the whole 'partner' issue. If this is part of the Universe universe, they do already have a Targetmaster partner, so a Breastmaster partner wouldn't be out of line.

Paulbot
3rd March 2009, 01:18 PM
Look at that G2 colour goodness on Skyquake! It's like 1992 all over again :D

From that link I couldn't work out what the actual source of that image is. Is it legit or could it be fan customs?

Thanatos
3rd March 2009, 02:15 PM
Oh man. Scourge looks nice and all, but not only am I sick of that mold, it doesn't even half fit against his old G1 mode.

What's worse is that Kup and Scourge SHOULD have been released retail. FunPub are killing me.

Sky Shadow
3rd March 2009, 02:19 PM
From that link I couldn't work out what the actual source of that image is. Is it legit or could it be fan customs?

That's a pretty impressive Skyquake. They have to be real, leaked toys - what with Wildman's slipup and the transparent parts. It would be pretty damn hard to whip up a translucent green Skyquake-coloured Energon Starscream in a week.

i_amtrunks
3rd March 2009, 02:32 PM
That's a pretty impressive Skyquake. They have to be real, leaked toys - what with Wildman's slipup and the transparent parts. It would be pretty damn hard to whip up a translucent green Skyquake-coloured Energon Starscream in a week.

With damn accurate metallic brown/gold paint to boot.

I think that these two strange additions are legit, so far we know of two US G1 characters, 2 Euro toy only characters and a Japanese G1 character, its a really mixed up bag.

griffin
3rd March 2009, 02:39 PM
Look at that G2 colour goodness on Skyquake! It's like 1992 all over again :D

I wonder if it comes with spare, pre-broken parts to replicate the fragility of the G2/Euro era toys. :p
I look at Skyquake and instinctively think, fragile. I mean, you're never rough with BotCon exclusives, but you can never be sure when you see gold(ish) plastic on TFs toys...

griffin
3rd March 2009, 02:41 PM
With damn accurate metallic brown/gold paint to boot.

I think that these two strange additions are legit, so far we know of two US G1 characters, 2 Euro toy only characters and a Japanese G1 character, its a really mixed up bag.

It's like their 2005 'mixed bag' set, and we saw how popular that was. They still have it in stock four years later...

i_amtrunks
3rd March 2009, 03:33 PM
It's like their 2005 'mixed bag' set, and we saw how popular that was. They still have it in stock four years later...

Guess we will soon find out if Energon Starscream is more popular than Energon Tow-Line, BW Buzzclaw and Energon Arcee :D

Gutsman Heavy
3rd March 2009, 04:43 PM
not bad but still not worth it.

Sky Shadow
3rd March 2009, 06:37 PM
Guess we will soon find out if Energon Starscream is more popular than Energon Tow-Line, BW Buzzclaw and Energon Arcee :D

I love Energon Tow-Line - and the Ratchet version is worth a fortune now. (Buzzclaw and Arcee, yeah, I'll pay that.)

jaydisc
3rd March 2009, 07:38 PM
I love Energon Tow-Line

+1

lcz128
3rd March 2009, 08:20 PM
I'm pretty disappointed in CyclonusScourge actually. :( The mould reminds me nothing of the character, but that is a great effort on the head (:

BIG pity that it's not a retail release character. Their loss, really :(

Sky Shadow
3rd March 2009, 08:24 PM
I'm pretty disappointed in Cyclonus actually. :( The mould reminds me nothing of the character

Maybe because it's Scourge? ;)

lcz128
3rd March 2009, 10:34 PM
Maybe because it's Scourge? ;)
lololololololololol
That explains heaps! jk.

Heh. I meant scourge (: But unfortunately - my opinion stands. :(

i_amtrunks
4th March 2009, 09:30 AM
I love Energon Tow-Line - and the Ratchet version is worth a fortune now. (Buzzclaw and Arcee, yeah, I'll pay that.)

I love Tow-line too, and while Ratchet is the top dog in terms of price, Ironhide is not exactly cheap either. I'm just interested to see how the prices for these Energon Starscream repaints compare in prices in a few years time.

dirge
4th March 2009, 09:49 AM
I've never liked the Energon Starscream mould, so I wouldn't get any repaints of it.

Kup is... okay. Scourge looks uninspired.

I hope there's something better than more repaints shoehorned as Classics coming in this year's BotCon repaints. I don't _mind_ repaints as Classics, but they lack the "wow" factor of most BotCon toys.

Sky Shadow
10th March 2009, 10:01 AM
Landshark:

http://www.botcon.com/BotCon09/figurePRE09.cfm

As much as I like the Energon Landmine mould (other than getting that cow-catcher on the front all lined up - doing that's always a %!*@#), this version has dull, uninspiring colours and now I've seen this I would have definitely have preferred Energon Sharkticon as a Landshark toy. For me so far, this has been the most ill-thought out Botcon set in many years.

I like his motto though.

iceburn
10th March 2009, 11:15 AM
also noted there's no head mould changes made

Sky Shadow
10th March 2009, 11:21 AM
also noted there's no head mould changes made

I don't think there's any real reason to 'waste' limited head retools on a new character (unless they were actually going to make his face look like a shark, I guess). Presumably the third retool going to be on Thunderclash or Flak.

i_amtrunks
10th March 2009, 11:45 AM
Not the mold I was expecting for Landshark, and since he is a Voyager class figure, that means Flak and Thunderclash will most likely be deluxes...

He looks pretty good in the green.

kup
10th March 2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah he looks good but I can't say that I am interested in getting it.

Gutsman Heavy
10th March 2009, 01:10 PM
big meh

Paulbot
10th March 2009, 01:21 PM
For me so far, this has been the most ill-thought out Botcon set in many years.

The new bio is starting to make me agree with you: "Landshark doesn't know where he got his name from..." :rolleyes:

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th March 2009, 01:32 PM
Maybe its a comedy theme this year.

kinda glad I missed out on these guys for this year. They look dissappointing. TBH, I don't really like the moulds they have used this year.

kup
10th March 2009, 01:32 PM
Looks like they used all of their creative efforts on the Botcon 06 and 07 sets.

I still think that this set was meant to be in the Animated universe but then some legal issue or misscommunication may have arisen and it was defaulted to 'pseudo G1' in the last minute.

griffin
10th March 2009, 02:19 PM
I just don't get it. The name had potential, but this figure (colouring, alt mode, etc) just doesn't make any sense towards the name. And it is a waste having the 'large' figure in the set going to a new, no-name, character. The big toy of the set is the centerpiece, and needs to be a significant character - Starscream (08), Dreadwing (07), Optimus Primal (06), Deathsaurus (05) - All of those are key characters to their era/series. Who the fu... uh, heck is 'Landshark', and what makes it so damn special to be given centre-stage for something as limited and 'special' as a BotCon set?
I think I'm actually disappointed for once with a BotCon set...

Thanatos
10th March 2009, 02:19 PM
The way I see the story happening is that these figures are part of "The Great War" referred to not in G1 or Beast Wars, but in Animated. These guys are the ones who were at war at the same time as "Animated" Ratchet and Ultra Magnus. From my perspective, this set could be a lot of fun, creatively at least.

I think that they're only using these Cybertron, Classic and Energon moulds is simply because they aren't licensed/allowed to use the Animated figures. It's a "do the best with what you have" scenario.

The ideal solution is have a figure that represents someone in the current animated show, like have a classic rendition of Elite Guard Ultra Magnus to tie up the continuity.

That aside, the Landshark figure doesn't do much for me. The bio is fun and the colours look alright, but there isn't enough modding for me to care about it.

griffin
10th March 2009, 03:59 PM
Heaps more pics of Skyquake and Leozak, if they end up being BotCon toys.

http://www.the-arker.com/bbs2/dispbbs.asp?boardID=10&ID=1095&page=1

kup
10th March 2009, 04:01 PM
They are not bad looking figures but they don't have enough appeal to justify their prices.

dirge
10th March 2009, 04:15 PM
So far none of these figures greatly appeal to me. Kup isn't bad, but the others... underwhelm.

i_amtrunks
10th March 2009, 04:28 PM
Heaps more pics of Skyquake and Leozak, if they end up being BotCon toys.

I'd be one happy chappy is Skyquake somehow ended up being part of the Universe line or was an international Store exclusive... (However I am sure he will be a Botcon only toy, one way or another).

My thinking is that FunPub wanted to make a set with names recycled from the Turbomaster/Predator lines, but the generic names (Flash, Boss, Scorch, Hurricane, Falcon, Snar, Talon, Stalker) and previous used/ un-availability of preferable molds ruined the idea.

Thus the mish mash group was decided on.

STL
10th March 2009, 11:38 PM
I just don't get it. The name had potential, but this figure (colouring, alt mode, etc) just doesn't make any sense towards the name. And it is a waste having the 'large' figure in the set going to a new, no-name, character. The big toy of the set is the centerpiece, and needs to be a significant character - Starscream (08), Dreadwing (07), Optimus Primal (06), Deathsaurus (05) - All of those are key characters to their era/series. Who the fu... uh, heck is 'Landshark', and what makes it so damn special to be given centre-stage for something as limited and 'special' as a BotCon set?
I think I'm actually disappointed for once with a BotCon set...

Agreed on the big figure point. This set has absolutely no significant. Decent mold, decent colours but meaningless. All they've got is one fan comic to work with and cram everything in - hardly time to make him meaningful.

Very disappointed by this set and kind of regret ordering it. Ironically, I think the best figure of the Botcon toys so far is Skyquake.

- Kup : meh.
- Scourge : meh
- Landshark : more meh.
- Thunderclash - HOPEFULLY the saving grace
- Flak - Dunno, but there ain't that many options left now, are there? Unless of course they have two Voyagers but that ain't likely.

jaydisc
10th March 2009, 11:42 PM
Remember that Botcon 08 had two voyagers: Starscream and Prime.

I fear the insult to injury is going to be the selection of Cybetron Defense Scattorshot for Flak. :p

STL
11th March 2009, 12:07 AM
Remember that Botcon 08 had two voyagers: Starscream and Prime.

I fear the insult to injury is going to be the selection of Cybetron Defense Scattorshot for Flak. :p

I was hoping for it to be Thunderclash. *Please be Thunderclash*

Given that we've got close enough in the form of Overload, that'd be a very terrible joke of a toy.

jaydisc
21st March 2009, 12:00 PM
Your joke is our reality. Flak has been released! (http://www.botcon.com/BotCon09/figurePRE09.cfm)

Seems to have a new head too.

Thanatos
21st March 2009, 12:44 PM
ARGH. THAT MOULD. AGAIN!

That aside, I love the new head and the colour scheme, and if it weren't the exclusive price I'd have to pay, I'll get that toy.

Also, if that's 2 voyagers we have already, will Thunderclash be a Deluxe? Otherwise it'll be a pretty huge box set.

Sky Shadow
21st March 2009, 12:56 PM
ARGH. THAT MOULD. AGAIN!

That aside, I love the new head and the colour scheme, and if it weren't the exclusive price I'd have to pay, I'll get that toy.

Also, if that's 2 voyagers we have already, will Thunderclash be a Deluxe? Otherwise it'll be a pretty huge box set.

It's actually a Voyager, an Ultra and two Deluxes so far - a big set. I'm guessing there's a good chance Thunderclash will be Deluxe Energon Rodimus. I agree on the good colour/good remoulded head/bad exclusive price front.

i_amtrunks
21st March 2009, 01:26 PM
It's actually a Voyager, an Ultra and two Deluxes so far - a big set. I'm guessing there's a good chance Thunderclash will be Deluxe Energon Rodimus. I agree on the good colour/good remoulded head/bad exclusive price front.

Best version of the mold, but thats what? it's 5th use? It's not even the greatest of figures either...

Energon Rodimus makes the most sense for Thunderclash, sans trailer.

fatbot
21st March 2009, 05:46 PM
man, what a dissaponintment, great colour scheme, good remould on the noggin' but c'mon how many times can you reuse a mold before it cracks?

Also, If they use Energon Rodimus for Thunderclash, will they be removing the powerlinx gimmick or leaving it? Imagine how it would look having two and combining them, or kitbashing a rodimus to form the legs and using thunderclash for the torso, they may be a big upside to having him at least

Pipesqueak
21st March 2009, 07:33 PM
I think it's a thing of beauty using one of my all-time favourite moulds ( I only have the cybertron defence scattershot original, however). I couldn't care less about the character though, and that goes for all micromasters.

With another head it I can't believe the botconners haven't made this mould inot megatron yet.

Sky Shadow
21st March 2009, 07:35 PM
Also, If they use Energon Rodimus for Thunderclash, will they be removing the powerlinx gimmick or leaving it? Imagine how it would look having two and combining them, or kitbashing a rodimus to form the legs and using thunderclash for the torso, they may be a big upside to having him at least

Hmm... true. And since Energon Tow-Line already had Thunder Clash-esque elements he'd also be fun to Powerlinx to a Thunder Clash Energon Rodimus.

fatbot
22nd March 2009, 08:43 PM
Energon Rodimus makes the most sense for Thunderclash, sans trailer.

i just had a disturbing thought, there is another deluxe sized truck from energon they could use

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/fatbot/energon.jpg

or hell even this from armada

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/fatbot/armada.jpg

it would also make a weird sort of logic as machine wars Optimus prime was repainted from thunderclash

Sky Shadow
22nd March 2009, 09:44 PM
i just had a disturbing thought, there is another deluxe sized truck from energon they could use

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/fatbot/energon.jpg

or hell even this from armada

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo146/fatbot/armada.jpg

it would also make a weird sort of logic as machine wars Optimus prime was repainted from thunderclash

I think (hope) they said they were only remoulding three heads, which we have already seen. I don't think they could release a Thunderclash with an Optimus Prime head. Optimus is too iconic, while Rodimus is not. Fingers crossed.

griffin
28th March 2009, 01:37 PM
Thunderclash has now been revealed, but only in the Magazine so far (which means us aussie members will see it on the official website first, as it would be another 3 weeks before we get the magazine here).
Quite a few people were guessing it would be the Energon Rodimus figure, and that's the mould they have used.
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/conventions-15/transformers-collectors-club-magazine-arriving---botcon-thunderclashs-mold-revealed-167166/

i_amtrunks
30th March 2009, 12:25 PM
Thunderclash has now been revealed, but only in the Magazine so far (which means us aussie members will see it on the official website first, as it would be another 3 weeks before we get the magazine here).
Quite a few people were guessing it would be the Energon Rodimus figure, and that's the mould they have used.
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/conventions-15/transformers-collectors-club-magazine-arriving---botcon-thunderclashs-mold-revealed-167166/

Hoping it doesnt look anything like the couple of photoshopped versions I have seen thus far, they all just look like Checkpoint with pink windows...

i_amtrunks
31st March 2009, 09:46 AM
Thunderclash revealed (http://www.botcon.com/BotCon09/figurePRE09.cfm).

I'm not a fan, the paint apps seem to be placed rather randomly, and the colours are not quite right.

This years set seems to be a bit of a jumble/mishmash of meh when compared to the previous two sets. It's a shame since both Thunderclash and Kup are two of my favourite figures..

Sky Shadow
31st March 2009, 09:54 AM
Wow. I actually love their Thunderclash. He's the only one from the set that I'd pay money for. Although it looks like he has a Pepsi logo on the side of his truck. Pepsi Thunderclash?

dirge
31st March 2009, 09:58 AM
Thunderclash actually works for me. He's not awesome, but it's a nice exclusive and one that I'd grab myself. Much better than the failed attempts to shoe-horn Kup & Scourge into Cybertron moulds. Okay, it's made easier by the fact that Thunderclash is more obscure, but it's a better match to the character nonetheless.

Gutsman Heavy
31st March 2009, 12:57 PM
This one is nice, like the bot mode, not so much the alt mode.

fatbot
31st March 2009, 09:18 PM
ye gods, were the designers drunk or high on something when they came up with this colour scheme? Bot mode looks good, but vehicle mode? Maybe they should lay off the doobies before they design any more transformers.

Paulbot
31st March 2009, 09:26 PM
Thunderclash and Skyquake will look very nice together. The rest I'm less keen on, but I like the outlandishness of seeing those old loud colour schemes returning.

1orion2many
1st April 2009, 12:46 AM
ye gods, were the designers drunk or high on something when they came up with this colour scheme? Bot mode looks good, but vehicle mode? Maybe they should lay off the doobies before they design any more transformers.

They wouldn't want to wake up with a hangover, they would think they threw it up:p:D

STL
3rd April 2009, 12:22 AM
Very disappointing year, no doubt about that. I hope the attendee toys are better. Skyquake and Leozack look decent at least

griffin
3rd April 2009, 12:36 AM
A promo vid is up on the www.botcon.com (http://www.botcon.com) site, for the elite guard.
Or you can go directly to the youtube vid here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAulz0wVMlw

And Kup's Techspec has also been put up:
http://www.botcon.com/BotCon09/figurePRE09.cfm#Kup

Sounds like they are going to be putting up the biocards of all the box set figures.
Not sure if they should be doing that before the show, as it should be one of the things people going, could look forward to as at least one surprise.

Paulbot
3rd April 2009, 04:39 PM
Flak's spec is there too.

I like the references to scenes in the movie in Kup's bio, and the art sells the toy as Kup better than the toy itself.

griffin
6th April 2009, 11:33 AM
Landshark has been added:
http://www.botcon.com/BotCon09/figurePRE09.cfm#Landshark

griffin
12th April 2009, 01:38 PM
All of the biocards of the box set figures have now been added to the figures page:
http://www.botcon.com/BotCon09/figurePRE09.cfm

And from the artist (Alex Milne) who drew the Scourge artwork for the biocard, this is the full sized image:
http://markerguru.deviantart.com/art/botcon-2009-scourge-profile-118774502

STL
12th April 2009, 11:44 PM
Botcon Razorclaw (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/228049-botcon-2009-razorclaw-predacon-universe-repaint.html)

Back to back Razorclaw toys? He's getting a lot of love. I'm very disappointed though that this didn't make the boxset. I'll still get it though of course.

Linky here for an image from the Botcon comics of Razorclaw:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/228049-botcon-2009-razorclaw-predacon-universe-repaint-2.html#post3491592

Very snazzy

griffin
13th April 2009, 12:35 AM
Just like Flak, this mould is still out in stores. How boring.
Well, that leaves 2 figures left to be revealed for this year. I'm hoping we get at least one surprise this year, but with seven weeks to go, I doubt it...

griffin
15th April 2009, 01:46 PM
A 5-page preview of this year's convention comic is up on the BotCon website now as well.
http://www.botcon.com/BotCon09/
This is the comic that comes in the program guide, and in previous years was also released to regular comic shops through the standard Diamond Comic Distributors.