PDA

View Full Version : Megatron's Cosmic Rust

kup
28th February 2009, 09:34 PM
I have just realized that my Megatron has developed Cosmic Rust on his feet. So far its fairly light but it has dulled the 'shine' a bit from the chrome.

Anyone have any ideas of what to do? Isn't there like anti rust solution to wipe rust off metal such as metal ware or something?

Thanks

griffin
28th February 2009, 09:52 PM
Gen1 Megatron?
I noticed that my MP Megatron's feet have 'decayed' as reports originally mentioned, and I don't think there is anything that can be done about them (because it isn't metal, or regular vaccumised plating).
As for Gen1 Megatron, I think maybe a metal polish you can get in stores would work, but you would probably need to remove the feet from the (plastic) toy, and clean them throroughly after polishing them (to remove any chemical residue), before putting them back with the rest of the toy.

Adzma
1st March 2009, 12:43 AM
If it's MP Megs you're talking about then it's actually really easy to get rid of. It's tarnishing not rust, all you need is a jewlery cleaning cloth to give the effected areas a good scrub over. Unfortunately if left unattended for a while (like mine) as you said the metal loses some of its shine.

kup
1st March 2009, 01:37 AM
Thanks guys.

Its actually the MP Megatron, I didn't want to mention it accurately due to legal sensitivities surrounding it but figured that 'rusty' feet would be enough to determine which Megatron I was referring to since its a well documented occurrence on this toy.

I will give your suggestions a go, I also suspect that its tarnishing not rust since the surface has 'dulled' but is not rough.

roller
1st March 2009, 01:48 AM
that sucks, do any other Masterpieces have the same affliction?

Adzma
1st March 2009, 09:23 AM
that sucks, do any other Masterpieces have the same affliction?
No one besides Megatron... yet.

GoktimusPrime
1st March 2009, 01:15 PM
Its actually the MP Megatron, I didn't want to mention it accurately due to legal sensitivities surrounding it but figured that 'rusty' feet would be enough to determine which Megatron I was referring to since its a well documented occurrence on this toy.
You have a NSW permit for the toy, so I think it'd be safe for you to openly talk about this toy that you legally own. :)

I have heard quite a few stories about MP Megatron's feet rusting... I haven't noticed any on mine yet (knock on wood).

kup
1st March 2009, 07:24 PM
You have a NSW permit for the toy, so I think it'd be safe for you to openly talk about this toy that you legally own. :)

I have heard quite a few stories about MP Megatron's feet rusting... I haven't noticed any on mine yet (knock on wood).

Check it often. It seems to happen spontaneously. Less than a month ago, it was just fine but then again you have it in an enclosed box so that would certainly protect it much better.

Wheel-J
1st March 2009, 10:36 PM
Are there ways to prevent this from happening? :confused:

liegeprime
1st March 2009, 11:01 PM
Mayhaps a clear coating of some protective sealant would help.

blackie
1st March 2009, 11:05 PM
clear nail polish should do the trick i think

liegeprime
1st March 2009, 11:06 PM

oooh a pedicure for megsy hehehehe:D

i_amtrunks
2nd March 2009, 10:01 AM

Good thinking.

Nail polish is unlikely to do any harm to the metal, and it is easy enough to remove if need be.

gamblor916
2nd March 2009, 11:36 AM
Mine has some slight tarnishing but I can live with it. If it gets worse I'll try metal polish and buff it out.

kup
2nd March 2009, 01:34 PM
Mine has some slight tarnishing but I can live with it. If it gets worse I'll try metal polish and buff it out.

Would car polish be a good idea?

gamblor916
2nd March 2009, 01:42 PM
Would car polish be a good idea?

That might work but I was thinking of this stuff

http://www.marcuskett.com/images/packshot/brasso.gif

Lint
29th October 2009, 01:45 PM
Decided to transform my MP megs the other day. When I last looked the metal bits had minor yellowing (though I noticed it was spreading) but now theres browny residual crap/tarnish everywhere and its unsightly. Megs was exposed to normal house atmosphere, albeit in an open plan space shared with the kitchen.

When I next decide to robot mode him i'll be planning to clean the tarnish off with tamarind and then applying some sort of surface protection. Does anyone know if spraying something like WD40 would be sufficient or if I should go for clear-coat/nail polish?

bruticus
4th November 2009, 12:22 AM
Check it often. It seems to happen spontaneously. Less than a month ago, it was just fine but then again you have it in an enclosed box so that would certainly protect it much better.

this is so true!!! when i first read this thread back in Feb there was no problem whatsoever on both of my MP Megs....
now when i checked my megs just then.... bam!!!... they got tarnish... and not just on the feet but also on the chrome parts on his back too!!!!

The one in alternate mode was only starting to yellow when i opened him up to check, whilst the other one which has been in robot mode all this time was yellowed with brown bits!!

luckily it wasnt as bad as real rust and the tarnish could be wiped off with a sunglasses cloth but dammit... they've lost their shine now and some parts i couldn't rub off the yellow completely!!!...
the tarnish also had a weird smell too.

The really sucky thing is that i barely played with it and when it wasnt in my sealed glass cabinet, i was handling it with gloves!!!!

so this has gotta to be something to do with poor chroming material or some sort of reaction with mold release or just grubby factory worker fingers leaving residue or something.....

farken p*ssed!!! :mad:

1AZRAEL1
4th November 2009, 08:26 AM
*Reminds self to check his when he gets home*

EDIT: Damn, mine has been afflicted with the dreaded rust as well. But to me it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would be.