PDA

View Full Version : GM unable to help market/advertise TF2. (spoilers)

griffin
2nd March 2009, 12:02 AM
As expected with GM's financial troubles at the moment (given billions from the US government, and begging for billions more), they have been announcing cost cutting measures, including marketting.
Since their role in the TF2 movie basically promotes their products, I think their initial funding/donation of equipment would not be affected by these cut backs because the movie has finished filming. But further involvement by GM would be affected, which included marketting/advertising.
The movie companies may do a lot of the publicity for the movie in theatres and billboards, etc, but GM may have been involved in other marketting strategies, or footing some of the expense.
According to this article:
http://adage.com/madisonandvine/article?article_id=134910

Paramount would have to cover any shortfall they were expecting GM to 'donate' towards marketting expenses. But in reality, the movie studios are probably just becomming too dependant on financial input that is really just a bonus, and shouldn't be relied upon. And has probably only been something grown out of product placement, which has became more common since about the 80s.
I think if Paramount do a good job, like they did with the first movie (they had a mobile promotion that went around the US, giving people a tantalising taste of the movie with the entire Scorponok battle scene in the desert, in the 2 months leading up to the movie's release), the second one shouldn't suffer. And with a larger number of GM vehicles in this movie that are actually available to buy, and at the lower end of the price range, GM might actually benefit from TF2 more than TF1 (only 2 of their vehicles were available, and both were niche market vehicles - Ironhide and Jazz).

I do wonder if this could mean that Paramount will scale back on their marketting of TF2, including advance screenings...

I also fear what this means for TF3, if there was going to be a third (or more). If Paramount or Hasbro wanted a third movie in 2011, GM will not be in any financial shape to be throwing money towards the project when pre-production starts in early 2010. Nor would they be too willing to donate free vehicles to future movie projects like TFs. A third movie would either have to be done a few years later, or on a much smaller budget. And if we don't see enough funding for a third, or the returns for the second one aren't good enough, I hope we aren't left with a cliffhanger that never gets resolved on screen. (IDW would wrap it up though)

griffin
2nd March 2009, 12:11 AM
I missed a bit in the article, that goes against my bit about how many of the GM products will actually be available with the TF2 compared to TF1. Looks like most of the new vehicles in TF2 are also concept cars, or not actually going to be available for some time after the movie. I think GM would only really benefit from Bumblebee, if it is out by then, because brand recognition just isn't enough for them at this time. They need an incentive for people to buy a particular model, which is available now, not in 2 or 3 years time.

While the "Bumblebee" Camaro in "Transformers" is priced attractively at Chevy dealers ($23,000 for the base model vs. the National Automobile Dealers Association's average new-car cost of $28,400), none of the other featured characters' alter egos will be for sale. Those characters include "Sideswipe," a concept Corvette handpicked by Mr. Bay from GM designers' drawing boards; "Jolt," a stylized Chevrolet Volt; and "Mudflap," an all-electric version of the planned Chevrolet Beat called the Chevy Spark, which won't be offered until 2011 at the earliest.

Kyle
2nd March 2009, 01:42 AM
Grim. :(

GoktimusPrime
2nd March 2009, 06:29 PM
I agree - in these tight financial times they should expose some more cars that most everyday folk can afford instead of purely exotic or niche market vehicles. Also... would it be possible for Paramount to use vehicles from other companies? Particularly non-American companies... I know Porsche is out of the question but I'd like to see other European and Japanese makes in the movie, like perhaps some of the vehicles we got for BT/ALT.