PDA

View Full Version : M******* Voice Actor

Robzy
6th March 2009, 12:15 AM
According to Seibertron (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/hugo-weaving-will-return-in-tranformers-revenge-of-the-fallen/15324/) Hugo Weaving is back as Megatron... at least the Frank Welker rumours can be laid to rest.

The funny thing is, one of the journalists mentioned (Sean Fewster) is an old friend of mine... I might try and contact him for more info...

Gutsman Heavy
6th March 2009, 01:33 AM
no complaints from me, I liked Hugo as Megs

jacksplatt11
6th March 2009, 01:35 AM
Yeah, as much as I love Welker, his G1 Megatron voice doesn't really fit the movie Megatron, the Hugo Weaving voice was pretty much spot on I felt

griffin
6th March 2009, 01:52 AM
That blows a hole in Bay's claim that Megatron wasn't in TF2. Or maybe he meant that Megatron wasn't the major bad guy this time. Then again, he wasn't in the first one much either...

Robzy
6th March 2009, 02:45 AM
Well, I really liked Welker's voice in the game! As for ROTFLMAO... well, it's hardly a surprise Weaving is reprising his role!

I'll never truly understand why people say Weaving was perfect and Welker just could not do the voice! :confused: Please don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Hugo fan! But puh-lease let's be honest... his voice was so digitally altered and had so many effects added that it was not recognisable at all.

Seriously, what is the point of casting a man who has such a tremendous voice and then altering it so much that it doesn't sound like him? :rolleyes: Anybody (even Welker - *gasp*) could have done that! Hell, they could have got a child to read the lines and just changed the pitch of the voice to sound deeper (I would rather hear Weaving's voice, not an over-processed version of it).

And that's the other thing... Megatron didn't have many lines anyway. So (IMO) it would've been nice to have the 2 originals exchanging dialogue for a few brief scenes - I always thought that was a slap in Frank Welker's face!

i_amtrunks
6th March 2009, 08:42 AM
Here's the full email Sean sent Seibertron:

Mega Secret
By Andrew Fenton
Film Writer, The Advertiser

In town to promote his rather excellent new Aussie film, "Last Ride", Hugo Weaving let slip he'll be returning as the voice of Megatron in "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen".

Fans no doubt will recall that when we last saw Megatron, Sam (Shia LaBeouf) had rammed the All Spark cube into his chest, thereby destroying him. Despite this certain death, rumours have been circulating the villain was going to make a comeback. Director Michael Bay went so far as to flatly deny the rumour, telling Empire: "He's not in the movie".

Turns out Bay was fibbing. "I've already done it," Weaving says, adding Bay had told him to keep the news hush-hush. "He's over in LA and we were working on the video split sort of thing and I had this strange conversation where he seemed to imply it was all a big secret. So there you go - I've given you the secret scoop."

So how is Megatron resurrected? Weaving is coy about revealling too much, but does give a tiny hint.

"I think in the last one, doesn't Optimus Prime pick up a little bit of, a shard of the cube, or the thing that's left, and he takes it with him. Maybe there's something there... but I don't know," he laughs.

We'll find out on June 25, the film's Australian release.
----------

So there you are... straight from the horse's mouth. Hope this helps, and gets me a byline on the front page!

Selah,
Sean Fewster

Can anyone honestly say that they are surprised that Megatron is in the film? Hasbro have made at least three toys for him, doubt they would do that for a non-appearing character...

Vector Sigma 13
6th March 2009, 09:03 AM
Heres a bit more on Megs role in the Movie- Right from Bays own blog.

Warning though its spoilerish!

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=66825&postcount=4

GoktimusPrime
6th March 2009, 10:36 AM
It seems that some fans have forgotten that voice actors, including Peter Cullen, had to audition for the role and then there would have been a selection process - just like with any other job. Cullen himself has said that he did audition for the role and that it wasn't given to him on a platter just because he was the G1 voice. And Bay said that he didn't select Cullen based on that either, it's just that he felt that Cullen's voice was perfect for Optimus Prime in the movie - i.e.: according to Bay and Cullen, Cullen got the role as Prime based on his own merit and not because of his status as "G1 Optimus Prime." As a professional Cullen has stated that he knows the role could've gone to anyone who was qualified to do it.

I'll never truly understand why people say Weaving was perfect and Welker just could not do the voice! Please don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Hugo fan! But puh-lease let's be honest... his voice was so digitally altered and had so many effects added that it was not recognisable at all.

Seriously, what is the point of casting a man who has such a tremendous voice and then altering it so much that it doesn't sound like him? Anybody (even Welker - *gasp*) could have done that! Hell, they could have got a child to read the lines and just changed the pitch of the voice to sound deeper (I would rather hear Weaving's voice, not an over-processed version of it).
Whether you prefer Welker or Weaving is pretty subjective and is up to each fan's personal opinion... I personally prefer Weaving. But I disagree that "anyone" or even a child could've played Megatron. Yes, the voice is heavily digitised, but it still requires a level of acting skill to put in emotion, cadence etc. to bring the character to life. TF voices were heavily digitised in G1 too (especially Soundwave).

Can anyone honestly say that they are surprised that Megatron is in the film? Hasbro have made at least three toys for him, doubt they would do that for a non-appearing character...
Not surprised, but disappointed. I always knew that Megatron would come back, but I was hoping that they would hold it off for the third film. Have someone else in charge for the second film and build toward Megatron's return toward the end of it. I was also hoping that Megatron would return as Galvatron (even if only by name).

Still could happen though - just because the toy's called Megatron doesn't mean that the character will be. Look at Brawlastator. ;) Yeah, I'm giving Bay way too much credit aren't I? :p

Thanatos
6th March 2009, 10:45 AM
I'm not really that surprised to be honest. There's a leader class toy of him, of course he's having screen time.

Bartrim
6th March 2009, 11:50 AM
Heres a bit more on Megs role in the Movie- Right from Bays own blog.

Warning though its spoilerish!

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=66825&postcount=4

I wonder if there is any truth to that? Or is it more information.

Robzy
6th March 2009, 12:14 PM
I disagree that "anyone" or even a child could've played Megatron. Yes, the voice is heavily digitised, but it still requires a level of acting skill to put in emotion, cadence etc.
Well, that's my point! All that "acting" was lost in the special FX! Maybe it's just me, but why have a "celebrity" voice actor and then change his voice so much (and let's face it - that's what he is... a celebrity voice actor - albeit a very good actor). I don't have a problem with Weaving at all - he's excellent. I would just like to hear his voice a little more. As for Cullen, I think Bay had a gun pointed at his head with that one! BTW, I could have also used "monkey" to make my point :D

TF voices were heavily digitised in G1 too (especially Soundwave).
Yes, but Celebrity voices are typically brought in to films to add "star power" to a film (eg Tom Hanks in Toy Story), rather than using people who have trained voices for the job! This doesn't apply to G1 Cartoon Soundwave because it was made for TV!

Not surprised, but disappointed. I always knew that Megatron would come back, but I was hoping that they would hold it off for the third film. *SPOILER* Well, if you click on the link that Vector Sigma 13 provided above... according to Bay, Megatron's not actually "returning" but is only in a "flash back"! */SPOILER*

Of course, it is entirely possible that Michael Bay hasn't actually read the script yet! :p

Vector Sigma 13
6th March 2009, 12:27 PM
I wonder if there is any truth to that? Or is it more information.

I hope that this is the case as the story is going to be busy enough as it is. I like the concept of delving into the past - Im hoping that we might see some more of Cybertron (perhaps before Megatron turned into a baddie?)

Bartrim
6th March 2009, 01:35 PM
I hope that this is the case as the story is going to be busy enough as it is. I like the concept of delving into the past - Im hoping that we might see some more of Cybertron (perhaps before Megatron turned into a baddie?)

I hope so too. Yeah the story will be busy enough and I hate to see it ruined with some stupid revival of Megatron story.

SofaMan
7th March 2009, 01:37 PM
Not surprised, but disappointed. I always knew that Megatron would come back, but I was hoping that they would hold it off for the third film. Have someone else in charge for the second film and build toward Megatron's return toward the end of it. I was also hoping that Megatron would return as Galvatron (even if only by name).

If he comes back, it'll probably just be as a cliffhanger at the end in time for the third movie. Might even be an Easter Egg in the credits. :)

Vector Sigma 13
11th March 2009, 09:51 PM
Ther maybe some hope yet for Frank! Perhaps not as Megs though-

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=67588&postcount=19

griffin
12th March 2009, 02:33 AM
I think I would wet myself if I heard Frank Welker do his classic Soundwave voice in this movie. I almost wet myself when Optimus first spoke in the first movie... :eek:

Vector Sigma 13
12th March 2009, 06:59 AM
I too would exercise those same bodily functions! Its a very exciting prospect which i hope turns out to be true.

i_amtrunks
12th March 2009, 10:03 AM
I think I would wet myself if I heard Frank Welker do his classic Soundwave voice in this movie. I almost wet myself when Optimus first spoke in the first movie... :eek:

Maybe someone needs to get Griffin some incontinence pants? :p

Im still suss that this is misdirection. If Weaving has recorded his lines for a "small part" such as Megatron, surely then Soundwave who by all guesses will be playing a larger role would have had his lines recorded before now?

I know that they did the voice recording only weeks out from release last time, but surely they were smarter the second time around?