PDA

View Full Version : New Wolverine:Origins Trailer online

Trailer Park Ninja
6th March 2009, 07:58 PM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=video&show_id=66442

I hope this movie turns out well.

i_amtrunks
9th March 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm not sold on this movie yet (the missus was sold as soon as she saw a shirtless Jackman), it looks a bit...dodgy(?) when it comes tot he stunts and effects.

We also see a young Cyclops? Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that mean this film will contradict the Xmen series a little?

piratescratch
9th March 2009, 10:45 AM
We also see a young Cyclops? Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that mean this film will contradict the Xmen series a little?

Wolverine had amnesia in the first two movies. He didn't remember anything/much about his Weapon X past. That could explain it.

Paulbot
9th March 2009, 04:21 PM

Not the movie series which gives Cyclops no origin at all. Any resemblance in the movies to the comic universe is purely coincidental. ;)

i_amtrunks
9th March 2009, 04:35 PM
Just thought that Cyclops himself might remember Wolverine from his childhood, since Wolverine always seems to have amnesia about one part of his history or another. :D

Paulbot
9th March 2009, 04:57 PM
Just thought that Cyclops himself might remember Wolverine from his childhood, since Wolverine always seems to have amnesia about one part of his history or another. :D

SpoilersComic book Cyclops has missing time from his childhood and from what I've read in this movie he will be in a very similar situationSpoiler

Trailer Park Ninja
9th March 2009, 06:35 PM
One concern I have about this movie is the number of cameos of popular Xmen characters. I know it may be a treat for the fans but for the non-fan it will be confusing with little backstory, screen time for them to appreciate.

jacksplatt11
9th March 2009, 07:51 PM
The scene of Wolverine walking towards the camera with the explosion in the background is so corny, doesn't really fill me with confidence...

Golden Phoenix
9th March 2009, 10:02 PM
http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/celebrity-pictures-hugh-jackman-wolverine-seriously.jpg

kup
10th March 2009, 01:00 PM
The scene of Wolverine walking towards the camera with the explosion in the background is so corny, doesn't really fill me with confidence...

I had the same thought.

I am also strongly against the 'bone claws' retcon even if it has appeared in comics before.

hotaru_oz
10th March 2009, 03:27 PM
I'm just hoping it'll be better than the third Xmen movie

Trailer Park Ninja
10th March 2009, 06:04 PM
I'm just hoping it'll be better than the third Xmen movie

+1. While it wasn't quite the same as what Joel Schumacher did to the Batman movie franchise, Brett Ratner came close.

Golden Phoenix
10th March 2009, 11:48 PM
I had the same thought.

I am also strongly against the 'bone claws' retcon even if it has appeared in comics before.

I think the bone claw thing made more sense though.
He'd have to have some sort of muscle control over them to make them come out and retract. That would be part of his mutation.

And have they specified that they are or are not just metal. If I remember right, all they said was that they covered his bones in that metal

Gutsman Heavy
11th March 2009, 12:28 AM
and I quote "you were always an animal wolverine, i just gave you claws."

Golden Phoenix
11th March 2009, 12:58 AM
and I quote "you were always an animal wolverine, i just gave you claws."

touche

Although he could be speaking metaphorically...:rolleyes:

Paulbot
11th March 2009, 09:46 AM
I forget the exact conversation but when Jean was checking Logan out in the first movie she might have made comments about the claws being artificial (although by that time it was long established in the comics that the claws were natural).

But GP is right, as well as the muscle control thing, Wolverine's healing factor is a needed side effect when you have bones bursting out of your skin to heal the wounds and prevent infections (at least in comic book science!). :)

kup
11th March 2009, 11:10 AM
One of my more memorable moments in the 90s X-men cartoon was a flashback where Wolverine had just gone through the Weapon X procedure. He was unsure what had happened to him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYaf9fIMDeE&feature=related (from 5:00)

He seems completly surprised and shocked by his claws.

blackie
8th April 2009, 06:24 PM
has anyone talked to 'timothy' about an advanced screening? wondering how good this advanced screening would be due to its lack of completion...

Sky Shadow
9th April 2009, 06:28 PM

Seriously, Kup, what isn't a retcon about Wolverine? Even the fact that his adamantium claws are part of him at all was a retcon - they were originally supposed to just be part of his gloves. He was initially meant to be a wolverine (yes, the small animal) that had been mutated into a young, agile human and wore gloves with retractable metal claws. Who'd pay to see that movie? (Okay, yes, I'd pay to see that movie.)

Personally, I think having bone claws makes more sense than them being added by the Weapon X programme (which was itself a retcon). Plus it made for a great surprise climax to Wolverine #75. [I also like the fact that the movie is using Grant Morrison's Weapon X is a Roman numeral idea, i.e. in the comics, Wolverine is Weapon X (Ten), Captain America is Weapon I (One), Fantomex is Weapon XIII (Thirteen) etc.]

i_amtrunks
14th April 2009, 11:27 AM
Seriously, Kup, what isn't a retcon about Wolverine? Even the fact that his adamantium claws are part of him at all was a retcon - they were originally supposed to just be part of his gloves. He was initially meant to be a wolverine (yes, the small animal) that had been mutated into a young, agile human and wore gloves with retractable metal claws. Who'd pay to see that movie? (Okay, yes, I'd pay to see that movie.)

If it still starred Hugh Jackman... at least 90% of the female population. :p

SilverDragon
19th April 2009, 08:24 PM
If it still starred Hugh Jackman... at least 90% of the female population. :p

If it starred a perpetually shirtless Hugh Jackman, at least 100% of the female population. And much of the gay population, too.

piratescratch
30th April 2009, 08:58 PM
So I just got back from watching the new Wolverine movie.

Overall a pretty decent movie. It's enjoyable but is a bit sloppy with the pacing, plot and story telling but it delivered in action.

Raging young Logan was just hilarious. I don't know? It just was.

Agent Zero and Wade's first action scenes were probably the highlight of the movie for me.

Also Gambit was pretty ace. Him and Wade I wished had more screen time.

I guess I'm not a big enough Deadpool fan to be raging at what he became in the movie. Yeah it is pretty terrible but provided a decent but short final showdown.

Spot the cameo time, was that Quicksilver amongst the locked up mutants? I know I saw Toad.

I didn't download the leaked print. But I'm sure we didn't get any special secret endings that had been mentioned.

Trailer Park Ninja
30th April 2009, 09:04 PM
Good to hear that you didn't think it sucked big time so will catch it this weekend. Hopefully it will do decent at the box office considering the leaked print.

loophole
1st May 2009, 08:03 PM
Also Gambit was pretty ace. Him and Wade I wished had more screen time.

Spot the cameo time, was that Quicksilver amongst the locked up mutants? I know I saw Toad.

i agree too, more Gambit and Wade would of been great.

and yeah i think that was Quicksilver too

TheDirtyDigger
1st May 2009, 08:12 PM
That was Quicksilver.

Great movie. A lot of fun. Maybe just a little tame. More Remy and Wade would have been better. Be excellent if they had their own movies.
Emma wasn't as hot as she should have been.

Golden Phoenix
1st May 2009, 09:57 PM
Apparently there are different endings for each different cinema.

Highlight to read:
The one I went to showed Logan at a bar in Japan (well you assume that, the bartender and Logan both speak Japanese.)
Apparently there is one of Deadpool getting the severed head of Weapon XI showing that that wasn't Wade

don't know of any others, but I like the sound of the other one. Deadpool being weapon XI was kind of meh.

loophole
1st May 2009, 10:18 PM

was emma the diamond covered chick? i dont know mt x-men that well :(

loophole
1st May 2009, 10:21 PM
does anyone know which cinemas will playing these different "secret" endings?

piratescratch
1st May 2009, 11:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgndmyItrg0

Bootlegged Deadpool ending for those interested.

GoktimusPrime
2nd May 2009, 06:03 PM
I liked the movie. I got what I expected from it. And it had the Transformers 2 trailer - so major wootage. :) I liked what they did with Sabretooth. I was a bit skeptical when I first saw Liev Schreiber being casted as Sabretooth due to his relative lack of bulk and size compared to Tyler Mane but I really enjoyed the way the character was written coupled with Schreiber's performance.

Different endings huh? That's interesting. I hope they'll chuck them all on the DVD. The screening I saw just ended with Gambit coming back for Wolverine, and he looks at the body of his old lover and has no idea who she is - demonstrating that he has lost all of his memory. Gambit invites him to join him and Charles Xavier, but he declines and becomes a loner.

was emma the diamond covered chick?
I wouldn't kick her out of bed. :D Of course, everyone knows that the hottest character in the movie was Wolverine anyway - plenty of fan-service nudity (and strategic positioning of his left leg as he fell down that waterfall :p) during the whole Weapon X scene. ;)

Sky Shadow
2nd May 2009, 06:16 PM
Different endings huh? That's interesting. I hope they'll chuck them all on the DVD. The screening I saw just ended with Gambit coming back for Wolverine, and he looks at the body of his old lover and has no idea who she is - demonstrating that he has lost all of his memory. Gambit invites him to join him and Charles Xavier, but he declines and becomes a loner.

Not different endings, different bloody-hell-I-waited-through-all-the-credits-and-all-I-got-was-thirty-more-seconds-of-$#!*s.

GoktimusPrime
2nd May 2009, 06:22 PM
Aaah, easter eggs. I didn't stay through all the credits so I'm not sure if we saw anything.

Paulbot
2nd May 2009, 10:16 PM
Aaah, easter eggs. I didn't stay through all the credits so I'm not sure if we saw anything.

Did you wait long enough to see Stryker's fate? Tip for all: never leave the cinema until at least some of the lights come on.

I was in Sky Shadow's situation, sitting through all the credits for no real pay off (except a vague suggestion apparently of what Wolverine 2 might be about). No one else hung through all those credits in my cinema except me, but after walking out on Iron Man I knew not to make that mistake again.

I thought the film suffered from the same flaws as all comic book origin films: I've read this story multiple times and it didn't add enough. Does this make sense to someone who hasn't read a Wolverine comic before?

Loved Ryan Reynold's Wade Wilson.

Loved loved loved Taylor Kitsch as Gambit (a character I never thought would work on film did so excellently) and he was totally hot. Yes Hugh's a good looking man, but Taylor as Remy is so much sexier. Give him a film!

Liev Schreiber was also great at Sabretooth and this film understood what makes Sabretooth an interesting character (unlike X-Men which made him a growling uninteresting henchman).

Hated the crappy CGI.

Liked the character cameos, but if you're going to have an X-Men story where Scott Summers as a kid is taken to a laboratory to be experimented on and you don't mention a Dr Essex or a Dr Milbury then you get a massive fail!

In general a faithful adaptation, particularly the Origin opening (despite the random aussie soap stars).

loophole
2nd May 2009, 10:55 PM
i have never read the origins of wolverine but have seen bits and pieces of the cartoon to make out what happened but the movie still made sense although it seemed pretty different to the cartoon, like there was no bald guy there to brainwash wolverine

im glad im not the only one that noticed some of the crappy cgi in it.

and i dont even know who Dr. Essex and Dr. Milbury are?

if anyone gets a chance you should watch the animated short of Hulk vs Wolverine it is awesome and does have bits and pieces about wolverines origin for the weapon X program :D

Paulbot
2nd May 2009, 11:00 PM
and i dont even know who Dr. Essex and Dr. Milbury are?

Essex is Mr Sinister's real name and Dr Milbury is one of his aliases, and a major element of Cyclops's origin is Mr Sinister experimenting on him all through his childhood until (basically) Xavier took him away.

Oh and Digger, the Emma Frost in this movie is still a kid as well, before she had plastic surgery (http://www.emmafrostfiles.com/misc/faq/where-has-emma-had-plastic-surgery-2/).

TheDirtyDigger
3rd May 2009, 07:13 AM
Oh and Digger, the Emma Frost in this movie is still a kid as well, before she had plastic surgery (http://www.emmafrostfiles.com/misc/faq/where-has-emma-had-plastic-surgery-2/).

OMG of course. How noobish of me. :o:)

Sky Shadow
3rd May 2009, 08:11 AM

I love Emma's line about Scott's ongoing feelings for Jean from Astonishing X-Men #1:

"Superpowers, a scintillating wit, and the best body money can buy... and I still rate below a corpse."

GoktimusPrime
3rd May 2009, 08:21 AM
Did you wait long enough to see Stryker's fate? Tip for all: never leave the cinema until at least some of the lights come on.

I was in Sky Shadow's situation, sitting through all the credits for no real pay off (except a vague suggestion apparently of what Wolverine 2 might be about). No one else hung through all those credits in my cinema except me, but after walking out on Iron Man I knew not to make that mistake again.
Yeah, I normally would've stayed for the end of the credits, but I was kinda in a hurry to move my car because I'd gone overtime for parking. Gah. :(

I'm glad Weapon X didn't have that goofy helmet or shackles from the comics.

What did you guys think about Agent Zero/Maverick? I didn't know much about the character before I saw the movie - so I guessed that his mutant power was Gun-Fu (extreme acrobatics + super marksmanship + heightened speed & reflexes)... but after doing a quick Google on him I don't recall seeing most of his original powers on the screen. The only possibly being his lack of a discernible scent (which would explain why Wolverine didn't smell him when he snipered that kindly old couple in the barn - although that could also be explained by the fact that he was very far away and using a long range sniper rifle).

Sky Shadow
3rd May 2009, 08:56 AM
What did you guys think about Agent Zero/Maverick? I didn't know much about the character before I saw the movie - so I guessed that his mutant power was Gun-Fu (extreme acrobatics + super marksmanship + heightened speed & reflexes)... but after doing a quick Google on him I don't recall seeing most of his original powers on the screen.

Maverick was just a generic cipher in a costume that Jim Lee invented for X-Men #5. His backstory (such as it is) has been fleshed out since then. Over the past seventeen years in comics, Maverick has rarely either possessed or used his powers anyway. So Gun-Fu is pretty accurate.

Apparently there is one of Deadpool getting the severed head of Weapon XI showing that that wasn't Wade.

I'm pretty sure that's just bull$#!* someone posted online. The only confirmed Deadpool ending is the one where Deadpool/Weapon XI's dislocated arm walks over the rubble like 'Thing' from the Addams Family and rubs his own dislocated head.

GoktimusPrime
3rd May 2009, 09:03 AM
dunnun duh-nun *click click*! (^O^)

Maverick was just a generic cipher in a costume that Jim Lee invented for X-Men #5. His backstory (such as it is) has been fleshed out since then. Over the past seventeen years in comics, Maverick has rarely either possessed or used his powers anyway. So Gun-Fu is pretty accurate.
Fairy nuff. :)

Burn
3rd May 2009, 05:29 PM
I watched the unfinished print, I watched the finished print, aside from a bit of CGI (which still needed polishing I think) there wasn't much difference.

Good movie though. Now bring on Magneto!

Lord_Zed
3rd May 2009, 09:41 PM
Watched it yesterday.

It was enjoyable enough but nothing special. Although I'm definately of the opinon that Deadpool got majorly wronged, he was great when he was Wade but then they turned him into Mimic. I think he got handed a worse deal than even Venom in Spiderman 3. And he didn't even break the 4th wall!!!!!!

The rest of the suporting guys were pretty good, those I could pick. Gambit was done pretty well as was Liev Schreiber being casted as Sabretooth seemed to work afterwards we went and saw Defiance which also had Liev Schreiber playing a similar wild character in it, I kept excpecting him to sprout claws.

I to found some special effects a bit naff as well. particularly the bit when Wolverine looked at his claws in the mirror, they looked totaly cartoony and weren't reflecting light at all, I seem to recall there weren't any buldges in his skin where they sprouted either, although I could be wrong. Hugh Jackman didn't seem to know quite where to look either, my least favourte scene.

There was also an excess of corny moneyshots similar to X-men 3, I do enjoy them but they make me laugh and not take the movie seriously. Although I can't say I was ever in suspese seeing as how it's a prequel and Wolverin is inderstructible anyways.

PS: IMO the proper easter egg ending the movie should have had, is Deadpool putting his head back on and telling the audience to go home becuase the movie is over. :D

Edit Ok just managed to work out what was going on in that bootlegged Deadpool ending, that goes some way to make him more like Deadpool.

Paulbot
3rd May 2009, 10:09 PM
Watched it yesterday.

It was enjoyable enough but nothing special. Although I'm definately of the opinon that Deadpool got majorly wronged, he was great when he was Wade but then they turned him into Mimic. I think he got handed a worse deal than even Venom in Spiderman 3. And he didn't even break the 4th wall!!!!!!

I to found some special effects a bit naff as well. particularly the bit when Wolverine looked at his claws in the mirror, they looked totaly cartoony and weren't reflecting light at all, I seem to recall there weren't any buldges in his skin where they sprouted either, although I could be wrong. Hugh Jackman didn't seem to know quite where to look either, my least favourte scene.

The mirror/bathroom scene is definitely the one with the worst special effects.

I kind of hope that if a Deadpool movie is made it starts with Wade talking to the audience and retconning it away.

i_amtrunks
4th May 2009, 09:56 AM
I was thinking they might make the Deapool movie run concurrent with the Wolverine one, try and show how he was manipulated/forced to become weapon XI... He sure was given the short end of the stick, but so were all the cameo players.

On the flipside, Liev Schreiber and Jackamn were bloody good, and the guy that played Stryker was pretty good too.

I really do not get how such a big budget movie, with such a broad audience, which is going to pull in the big bucks would go with a company, and accept such low-rent effects... the bathroom scene was bad, the final fight scene was really dodgy, and anything with Gambit's powers on show was really terrible.

Hope those effects companies were docked pay for bad work.

Paulbot
4th May 2009, 10:09 AM
I was thinking they might make the Deapool movie run concurrent with the Wolverine one, try and show how he was manipulated/forced to become weapon XI... He sure was given the short end of the stick, but so were all the cameo players.

A "Wade Wilson" commentary track on the DVD would be an excellent special feature (as either popup Yellow and Black text boxes or a Ryan Reynold in character audio track).

I forgive no mention of Mr Sinister in this film now, because Scott still did get those red glasses from someone so they haven't shut the door on him eventually appearing.

kup
4th May 2009, 04:02 PM
Best Review of this movie:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/bum-reviews/6503-xowolverine

It actually represents how I feel about it.

Wheel-J
6th May 2009, 07:47 PM
Just saw this movie yesterday and I'd say it did passed my taste overall. Gambit and Wade are way very cool! :D
Melbourne central has the japanese bar aftercredit-scenes. Did someone saw the deadpool aftercredits anywhere in melbourne? :confused:

i_amtrunks
7th May 2009, 09:19 AM
Just saw this movie yesterday and I'd say it did passed my taste overall. Gambit and Wade are way very cool! :D
Melbourne central has the japanese bar aftercredit-scenes. Did someone saw the deadpool aftercredits anywhere in melbourne? :confused:

I dont know if anyone in Australia has seen the Deapool ending...

Certainly seems that the Sydney based cinemas all have the Japanese Bar ending, none of my mates have seen the Deadpool ending, and thats across three chains of cinema: (Hoyts: Blacktown, Penrith, GU: Parra, George St, Castle Hill, Reading: Rouse Hill, Market City)

loophole
7th May 2009, 06:31 PM
i heard that the different endings were for different countries

bruticus
7th May 2009, 06:54 PM
huh? what after-credits ending with deadpool?
dammit.. i only saw the japanese bar one which i thought was pretty uninteresting compared to all of X-men movie after-credits scenes...

Special effects were pretty poorly done and unrealistic looking in that movie hey...

Now i can see why Michael Bay is such a hard arse when it comes to getting the correct lighting effects for his TF CG animations.... it makes a world of difference in believability....

Lord_Zed
7th May 2009, 11:36 PM
Thinking back about Wolverine today, while I wouldn't say Jackman did a bad job in the Wolverine movie. I would say that Wolverine was way to straight, there was none of the humour that Wolverine showed in X-men 1 and 2 when he made fun of Cyclops and Proffesor X etc, also the guys suposed to be a Beseker isn't he?

All he did was brood and act tough. if there is another Wolverine I hope the writters liven him up a bit. No wonder Sabretooth stole the show.

Paulbot
8th May 2009, 08:25 AM
I thought there was enough humour in it, from Logan and others (Wade). That whole Blob scene is one big joke for instance (pun intended). Its interesting that every movie poster i saw in LA called the movie "X-Men Origins" with a large image of just Hugh showing his claws. I guess X-Men is well known enough in the US that it can be marketed that way, unlike in Oz where the comics are barely known and the movies are "those ones where Hugh Jackamn plays Wolverine". I dont get the Aus poster at all since that seems to suggest a team that never exists in the movie.

kup
9th May 2009, 06:03 PM
I thought there was enough humour in it, from Logan and others (Wade). That whole Blob scene is one big joke for instance (pun intended). Its interesting that every movie poster i saw in LA called the movie "X-Men Origins" with a large image of just Hugh showing his claws. I guess X-Men is well known enough in the US that it can be marketed that way, unlike in Oz where the comics are barely known and the movies are "those ones where Hugh Jackamn plays Wolverine". I dont get the Aus poster at all since that seems to suggest a team that never exists in the movie.

If it were a team composed of all those guys then you would have an awesome movie. We got a bit of a short 'what it could have been' with Striker's mutant team but that's it.