PDA

View Full Version : MP Grimlock size comparison with MP-01

kup
9th March 2009, 09:29 AM
A bit disappointing considering that its just the G1 toy blown up with modern joints and light gimmicks.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/67335052d2222289f56e76c157c0bb994d3d0c6.jpg

Source:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/222390-more-masterpiece-grimlock-wild-images-2.html

i_amtrunks
9th March 2009, 09:34 AM
wow, he is much smaller than I was anticipating, especially considering his price tag.

1orion2many
9th March 2009, 09:45 AM
:)I'll accept the size difference as long as the quality side of the Grimmie is excellent;):cool:.

Kyle
9th March 2009, 09:49 AM
He's about the same height as the MP Seekers so I find this acceptable. :)

gamblor916
9th March 2009, 10:03 AM
He looks awesome! All that shiny chrome is just icing :D

Adzma
9th March 2009, 10:19 AM
I just find it irratating because there is no reason for it to be that short. I mean most people would expect that a higher price tag would mean it would be bigger than MP Convoy. Oh well. Also I wonder which parts are die-cast? It looks like only the dinosaur toes are...

kup
9th March 2009, 10:21 AM
I just find it irratating because there is no reason for it to be that short. I mean most people would expect that a higher price tag would mean it would be bigger than MP Convoy. Oh well.

I was hoping for at least the same size as MP Convoy.

He will certainly not display well with MP Convoy towering above him so he would need to be displayed on his own.

Adzma
9th March 2009, 10:37 AM
Found a picture of them side-by-side.

http://i40.tinypic.com/23say6r.jpg

kup
9th March 2009, 11:03 AM
I am curious what the Hasbro release will be like but I am hopeful that it will at least match Hasbro's MP Starscream's level of paint quality with no battle damage.

Wheel-J
9th March 2009, 11:34 AM
He will certainly not display well with MP Convoy towering above him so he would need to be displayed on his own.

Or maybe try putting him together with the classics line and let's see how he would blend...:rolleyes:

kup
9th March 2009, 11:44 AM
Or maybe try putting him together with the classics line and let's see how he would blend...:rolleyes:

nah too big for that and doesn't fit the general looks.

So he is too short for MP and too tall for classics...

However he will display well on his own so that is not necessarily a negative.

Adzma
9th March 2009, 11:48 AM
He wouldn't look too bad next to the MP Seekers.

kup
9th March 2009, 11:55 AM
He wouldn't look too bad next to the MP Seekers.

I thought about it. Size wise he would fit right in but the character would be out of place in a seeker group line up.

What we need to balance this thing out is for the next MP to be the same size as Grimlock and be an Autobot or someone Grimlock can fight like Shockwave.

Adzma
9th March 2009, 12:22 PM
Well it certainly seems that this is going to be the standard size now, which is frustrating because it means Megatron, Prime and Ultra Magnus will remain out of proportion with the rest.

Hereticpoo
9th March 2009, 12:30 PM
If my excitement for this figure were a balloon....I just deflated..:(

Its so small!

Oh well....I guess I'll display with G1's. :)

kup
9th March 2009, 01:00 PM
If my excitement for this figure were a balloon....I just deflated..:(

Its so small!

Oh well....I guess I'll display with G1's. :)

You just gave me an idea :cool:

Lord_Zed
9th March 2009, 01:10 PM
Pfft he's out of scale, In the world of Transformers this happens every week, its about as suprising as Hasbro's new TF having some silly gimmick.

His lack of Height compared to Convoy aside those pictures make him look damn awesome!

Zippo
9th March 2009, 04:13 PM
He really does look to small in those shots, and considering he is going to cost me about double that of all the Masterpieces I have then it sure is dispaointing.

Displayed on his own though and in that pose on e-Hobby's website and he still looks fantastic though.

Adzma
9th March 2009, 04:41 PM
His fingers aren't poseable to allow for the LED. :( The thumb can be moved though.

Pipesqueak
9th March 2009, 05:40 PM
The only MP seeker I have is starscream so I'm quite happy for Grimlock to match up against him, just as prime and megs go one on one.

What's the going price on this one?

Eruntalon
9th March 2009, 06:08 PM
Pfft he's out of scale, In the world of Transformers this happens every week, its about as suprising as Hasbro's new TF having some silly gimmick.

When you consider the current line of MP TFs and their related scales to one another it's not too dissimilar to G1 TFs from various lines being out scale with each other. It's an unfortunate compromise. Using your imagination in regards to their scale in cartoons/comics remains a neccesity.

Lord_Zed
9th March 2009, 06:20 PM
When you consider the current line of MP TFs and their related scales to one another it's not too dissimilar to G1 TFs from various lines being out scale with each other. It's an unfortunate compromise. Using your imagination in regards to their scale in cartoons/comics remains a neccesity.

That was my thinking to. I have no problem with the scale, only the price jump.

SGB
9th March 2009, 07:08 PM
Bit disappointed that Grimlock is smaller than Convoy.

Will still get him eventually though.

k.wong23
9th March 2009, 10:03 PM
Definately disappointing sizewise...wanted him to be up there with Prime/Megs and cybertron primnus/unicron!

Regardless he is awesome looking :)

GoktimusPrime
9th March 2009, 10:37 PM
I agree with Lord Zed - the size isn't the problem. After all in Classics/Henkei Prime towers over Grimlock too, but for a Deluxe price point I think most of us don't mind. It's the fact that they're charging such a hefty price point that makes it disappointing.

Here's a RRP price comparison:
MP-01 Convoy = 10290JPY
MP-02 Ultra Magnus = 10290JPY
MP-03 Starscream = 10290JPY
MP-04 Convoy Perfect Model = 18900JPY
MP-05 Megatron = 10290JPY
MP-06 Skywarp = 10290JPY
MP-07 Thundercracker = 10500JPY
MP Starscream USA Edition = 10500JPY
MP Grimlock = 13650JPY

With the noteable exception of MP-04, at 13650JPY MP Grimlock is going to be 130% more expensive than all other Masterpieces. If you look at Megatron and the Seekers, you can see that there is a massive leap forward in engineering, but with Grimlock there the leap is far smaller. As kup said, it just looks like a bigger version of the G1 toy rather than a true "Masterpiece."

If Hasbro can release the toy here for a comparable price with that other MPs were released here ('cept MP04) then I might consider it. But at a 130% price hike I'm really hesistant.

--------------------
References:
Official Masterpiece site (http://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/TF/products/masterpiece.html)
MP Grimlock @ Maruzen Toys (http://maruzen-toy.com/TF-008/)

kup
10th March 2009, 09:39 AM
Video of MP Grimlock's gimmicks and transformation:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/masterpiece-grimlock-demo-video-167013/

Aside from the lower legs, it is pretty much G1 Grimlock blown up including the Diaclone cockpit!

gamblor916
10th March 2009, 10:36 AM
I wonder how the Hasbro version is going to differ, Grimlock looks like he has a lot of sharp pointy bits...

kup
10th March 2009, 10:54 AM
I wonder how the Hasbro version is going to differ, Grimlock looks like he has a lot of sharp pointy bits...

I suspect that the release won't happen for some time and that there will be considerable 'safety' modifications such as rubber pointy bits and possibly rounding off certain tips such as the sword.

I am pretty confident that MP Grimlock is a Hasbro motivated project so they probably have the modifications they are going to make all worked out.

Adzma
10th March 2009, 12:44 PM
Video of MP Grimlock's gimmicks and transformation:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/masterpiece-grimlock-demo-video-167013/

Aside from the lower legs, it is pretty much G1 Grimlock blown up including the Diaclone cockpit!
Despite the whole blown up G1 Grimlock aspect, if it wasn't for height issue he would take the place of my favourite Masterpiece figure from Prime. He looks to be the most poseable of the line so far minus the hands, his mould is incredibly detailed and there are even gimmicks from the Marvel comics. Now we just have to wait and see if Grimlock is free from TakTom's QC tyranny.

kup
10th March 2009, 12:54 PM
Despite the whole blown up G1 Grimlock aspect, if it wasn't for height issue he would take the place of my favourite Masterpiece figure from Prime. He looks to be the most poseable of the line so far minus the hands, his mould is incredibly detailed and there are even gimmicks from the Marvel comics. Now we just have to wait and see if Grimlock is free from TakTom's QC tyranny.

I have seen an increase in QC improvement when it comes to the last couple of henkei but these releases did not need extensive paint jobs. I am hoping that the whole 'bad QC' thing was just a bad phase and that now they have it worked out.

Lord_Zed
10th March 2009, 01:12 PM
I don't see the problem with Grimlocks Transformation, yes its pretty much the same as the G1 toy, but everyone complained when they changed Starscreams transformation, it seems no matter what TAk-TOM do asthetics wise fans will always be unhappy.

The price thing is a different matter. It bugs the hell out of me, If you ask me they saw that Bandai and other companys were charging more for thier deluxe items and followed suite. The old Masterpieces were always a bargin compared to comparable toys from other lines. Grrr!

kup
10th March 2009, 01:21 PM
I think that MP Starscream's transformation is freaking excellent and that includes MP-03.

Lord_Zed
10th March 2009, 07:50 PM
I wasn't directing my comment about the transformation about any particular person, I just recall there was a lot of hubub way back when Starscream got his hip fins and shoulder guns. I mean it didn't bother me either. Now we have a Grimlock who's Transformation is very close to both the original toy and the cartoon so I don't consider this to be a negative point, I just don't see how TAK-TOM could have done it any other way without changing the overall look of Grimlock.

Not justfying the price gouge though, just saying based on what we've seen this toys is a fully fledged MP (its just that TAK-TOM are greedy).

kup
10th March 2009, 10:18 PM
I wasn't directing my comment about the transformation about any particular person, I just recall there was a lot of hubub way back when Starscream got his hip fins and shoulder guns. I mean it didn't bother me either. Now we have a Grimlock who's Transformation is very close to both the original toy and the cartoon so I don't consider this to be a negative point, I just don't see how TAK-TOM could have done it any other way without changing the overall look of Grimlock.

Not justfying the price gouge though, just saying based on what we've seen this toys is a fully fledged MP (its just that TAK-TOM are greedy).

The hip fins do bother me though but that is more of kibble placement than the actual transformation engineering sequence which has remained the same since the prototype.

Anyway, I think that Grimlock could have been given a better T-Rex mode without impacting the robot mode of Grimlock or taking away the 'G1 feel'.

griffin
17th March 2009, 02:00 PM
Another gallery of pics.
http://www.the-arker.com/bbs2/dispbbs.asp?boardID=10&ID=1167&page=1

kup
17th March 2009, 02:28 PM
Too bad that the crown appears not to be included in the final release :(

STL
17th March 2009, 09:17 PM
Disappointed somewhat by the price tag for it but I have no qualms about scale. I think MP is more of a toyline for representation of your favourite characters with complex transformation, die cast and accessories. Its a premium toy for characters - akin to a statue. But like Goktimus said, I much prefer Henkei for day-to-day playing. MPs are more things I transform once in a while rather than regularly.

kup
18th March 2009, 12:21 AM
I don't think MP Grimlock has a complex Transformation, its a carbon copy of its G1 toy.

Kyle
18th March 2009, 07:38 AM
Advance preview of the final boxed product. Can't wait for the official release on the 26th~!

http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/viewthread.php?tid=11148

kup
18th March 2009, 09:30 AM
Advance preview of the final boxed product. Can't wait for the official release on the 26th~!

http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/viewthread.php?tid=11148

So they bothered with that ridiculous waiter kit but excluded the crown? Outrageous!

JuzMel
18th March 2009, 09:46 AM
So they bothered with that ridiculous waiter kit but excluded the crown? Outrageous!
With all the hoo-haa, I guess most of us are just probably disappointed at the large price tag. ;) I'm not complaining at the size as long as it's accurate as compared to the cartoons. So having not watched G1 for awhile, is MP Grimlock size accurate as in the cartoons? I don't remember him towering over Prime.

kup
18th March 2009, 10:02 AM
With all the hoo-haa, I guess most of us are just probably disappointed at the large price tag. ;) I'm not complaining at the size as long as it's accurate as compared to the cartoons. So having not watched G1 for awhile, is MP Grimlock size accurate as in the cartoons? I don't remember him towering over Prime.

He is a little taller in the cartoon:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/b/b6/Grimlockapologize.jpg

However in the comics he was about a head taller than the average Transformer and sometimes the same size as everyone else - Scale consistency was never Transformers' greatest strength..

Adzma
18th March 2009, 01:20 PM
That is very poor on TakTom's behalf. *Sigh* Still it's not the first time they've let us down, and it won't be the last.

Lord_Zed
18th March 2009, 01:37 PM
I don't think MP Grimlock has a complex Transformation, its a carbon copy of its G1 toy.

I don't think that's fair, there are clear improvements on the original just like we had with Convoy. Ofcourse Grimlock never had the problems of detachable fists or gaping holes on the side of his waist to fix. I think transformation complexity is more a feature of Binaltechs than MP's. Perhaps they should have had Shoji Kawamori make his dino chest wings come out of his hips? :D

In my opinon he looks awesome in the latest pics, the lack of crown is dissapointing but not suprising as comic touches are always forgotten by TAKTOM. I wont know for sure till I see the real thing but the only thing bugging me from what I've seen is the price!

Ofcourse I'm biased as I'm the exception to the rule of not playing with MP's often, I Transform mine all the time. :)

Makes me want an MP Shockwave, who would suffer the same problems as Grimlock, IE his Transformation is already good enough that they would be unlikely to add much.

Hereticpoo
18th March 2009, 02:21 PM
Zed mate it'll be worth it. The price is in the gold chrome, and the silver chrome, I mean just look at it, that can't be cheap. I think the cost per unit of this figure would have been higher than the Seekers or Prime. The Chrome! :eek:

And yeah the accesories are lame....the only things that will leave the packaging with my grimlock will be the weapons. :)

GoktimusPrime
18th March 2009, 04:59 PM
..chrome don't cost that much. :p

I agree with Lord Zed - this toy is definitely an upgrade of G1 Grimlock and it's not just a "carbon copy." There's definitely more highly detailed sculpting and the transformation must be more complex in order to achieve a more Marvel-accurate robot mode (whereas the original toy just is not that well proportioned - the arms are really long and the chest protrudes something chronic). And on top of all that they've worked in two eye colour change gimmicks and a laser-rod style LED gimmick.

It does look like a very nice toy, but I just don't think it's worth the price hike. I think I'd definitely get it if it's released locally for around the same price as a other Masterpieces (not including Convoy w/ trailer).

kurdt_the_goat
18th March 2009, 05:17 PM
Personally, i'm not fussed which accessories he comes with, apart from his sword and gun... But for the people wishing he had a crown, i wouldn't give up hope. When the crown was first shown, a few people remarked that it seemed odd considering the reference would be somewhat lost on Japanese fans... so perhaps it was just designed with a Hasbro release in mind? They may mix up the accessories (replace waiter with crown?) for a western release.

Lord_Zed
18th March 2009, 09:42 PM
I don't think it would be hard to make your own Marvel comics style crown, its not like Starscreams movie crown that has a peculiar shape and gems. Grimlocks crown was pretty simple, only a little fancier than those paper one you get from bonbons at Christmas.

I may try and make one myself from Plasticard or even card.

turtle boy
19th March 2009, 12:32 AM
Awww. The size is a little less big! I was hoping for a big eff off dino that i could hit my family members with and have nothing wrong the the figure. Oh well. Still, a pitty. I have to get 2 and the lack of bigness makes that even worse now.