PDA

View Full Version : Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

griffin
5th March 2014, 07:54 PM
Indeed in volume 3 of the TPBs of each series.

Excellent, thankyou.

griffin
5th March 2014, 08:53 PM
Any1 know where I an get a Human Alliance Soundwave for under $100 these days?

Taiwan is probably your cheapest option now, and US$130 with shipping (http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRANSFORMERS-DOTM-HUMAN-ALLIANCE-SOUNDWAVE-With-LASERBEAK-Mr-Gould-IN-STOCK-/281261064628?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item417c7741b4), might be as cheap as they go now.

jazzcomp
5th March 2014, 09:40 PM
How do check auhenticity of TFC prme and megatron?

DELTAprime
6th March 2014, 03:27 PM
How do check auhenticity of TFC prme and megatron?

As far as Prime goes only the original G1 packaging has been counterfeited on a large scale, not the TFC packaging and extra pieces.

Sinnertwin
6th March 2014, 03:48 PM
Are you looking at loose samples, JC?

jazzcomp
6th March 2014, 06:27 PM
Are you looking at loose samples, JC?
Used but with packaging, ST.

jazzcomp
6th March 2014, 06:30 PM
As far as Prime goes only the original G1 packaging has been counterfeited on a large scale, not the TFC packaging and extra pieces.
Just concerned that a different toy has been placed inside the packaging.
I'm not sure if parts were replaced. Guess I'm looking at stamp and minor differences between the different reissues of g1 prime.

Sky Shadow
6th March 2014, 07:40 PM
Just concerned that a different toy has been placed inside the packaging.
I'm not sure if parts were replaced. Guess I'm looking at stamp and minor differences between the different reissues of g1 prime.

http://fredsworkshop.com/vprime.html

DELTAprime
6th March 2014, 09:47 PM
He should have the bloated hands and Ion Blaster that are found on the very first G1 Prime and the Encore. Not sure what other features you can look out for.

jazzcomp
7th March 2014, 09:28 AM
http://fredsworkshop.com/vprime.html
Thanks! Link describes the other primes but don't think it specifies what is specific to TFC prime.

BigTransformerTrev
7th March 2014, 09:43 AM
Anyone know any good places in Mildura (VIC) to look for various TF merchandise? Taking the family for an overnight trip today

Sky Shadow
7th March 2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks! Link describes the other primes but don't think it specifies what is specific to TFC prime.

The other option is that you could take a picture of the bits you're suspicious about and we can tell you if there's anything dodgy going on.

jazzcomp
7th March 2014, 09:59 PM
I am not thinking there's anything dodgy. I really just want to check since I'm a noob regarding this.

I only have in-package pics because the toy is still overseas. Below is the ebay description.

I particularly will enjoy the forthcoming reboot that hopefully removes the campy-jokes and gets back to business.
Here, these Japanese Takara Collections are re-issues of the original series in beautiful box sets.

To the best of my knowledge, these sets have been unopened and untouched but some of the original tape has been removed and Im fairly positive someone opened them to look but not touch.

This auction is for both Megatron and Optimus Prime!
Optimus Prime comes with: Optimus Prime Cab Section, Silver Trailer/Combat Deck Section, Scout Car Roller
Exclusive Ring Binder For The TFC Series, TF Playing cards and lots more!

Megatron comes with: Unmodified Megatron figure, Book-style Display Box, Weapons and accessories and more.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/complicated8/TF_stuff/photo2.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/complicated8/TF_stuff/photo1.jpg

DELTAprime
8th March 2014, 12:15 PM
^ The diecast colour doesn't the plastic. On all my G1 Prime's the paint on the diecast matches the plastic colour very closely. I don't have this particular version of G1 Prime so it may have issues with colour I'm unaware of, but I have 3 different reissues of him with no problem.

Bidoofdude
8th March 2014, 12:35 PM
MP-10's height? (Up to tip of horns) Also, anywhere that has MP-10 in stock please. (Takara)

jazzcomp
8th March 2014, 12:41 PM
^ The diecast colour doesn't the plastic. On all my G1 Prime's the paint on the diecast matches the plastic colour very closely. I don't have this particular version of G1 Prime so it may have issues with colour I'm unaware of, but I have 3 different reissues of him with no problem.
yeah - http://tfsource.com/products/view/product_id/897/ seems to match the colour. Could this be just an effect of lighting (taken by an Iphone 5s/4?) There is pinkimus prime - hasbro reissue (should have shorter smoke stacks).
Ebay link for more photos (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Takara-Transformers-Collection-Megatron-And-Optimus-Prime-/201040888381?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=eRKyklXgfemO5UFFJPC6CcUW%252FP4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc)

The seller could have been duped just the same if he didn't know.

Here are some more online pics - UK - pre owned (http://www.geek-station.co.uk/transformers-generation-one-optimus-prime-g1-takara-tfc-re-issue-pre-owned-1486-p.asp)

another ebay link bit better matching (http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-TRANSFORMERS-T-F-COLLECTION-G1-OPTIMUS-PRIME-CONVOY-0-TAKARA-RE-ISSUE-MIB-/190936019914?nma=true&si=aenEx9Vv5BjIPmh5E6CbH%252B1FgEM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557)

Angry CA decepticon blog pics link (http://angrycanadiandecepticon.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/transformers-collection-0-convoy.html)

UK online seller - maybe it's just QC issue (http://www.robotrecruits.co.uk/product/tfc-optimus-prime)

Megatran
8th March 2014, 02:08 PM
There's an eBay seller by the name of wheeljackslab who sells a heap of TFs. Has anyone bought from this guy? If so, does the seller come recommended?

Sinnertwin
8th March 2014, 03:02 PM
JC, If it helps, my single taped MiSB TFC Optimus' cab doesn't match the plastic either
From what i can see, everything else does appear to be in order

Sky Shadow
8th March 2014, 03:04 PM
There's an eBay seller by the name of wheeljackslab who sells a heap of TFs. Has anyone bought from this guy? If so, does the seller come recommended?

Read this whole thread: www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3285
Then this one: www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=4409

Then use your judgement.

I am not thinking there's anything dodgy. I really just want to check since I'm a noob regarding this.

I only have in-package pics because the toy is still overseas.

Then don't worry about it, it's probably fine.

jazzcomp
8th March 2014, 07:41 PM
JC, If it helps, my single taped MiSB TFC Optimus' cab doesn't match the plastic either
From what i can see, everything else does appear to be in order
Thanks, ST! :)

package was opened by my brother and one of prime's smoke stacks is broken :(
So much for MIB. :mad:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/complicated8/TF_stuff/IMG_6807.jpeg

Sinnertwin
9th March 2014, 09:15 PM
Damn :(
From your photo, JC, it looks like the anchor for the smokestack should still be inside the arm & repairable with the right glue.

Its easy enough to get to by removing the small screws. i found laying him face down when taking off the rear cover easier; there's a spring, washer, ratchet joint & metal plate that can fall out & fly off if you're not careful

GoktimusPrime
9th March 2014, 09:46 PM
jazzcomp: If I were you, I'd contact the seller for some form of recompense since the item doesn't match the MISB description.

jazzcomp
9th March 2014, 10:21 PM
jazzcomp: If I were you, I'd contact the seller for some form of recompense since the item doesn't match the MISB description.
Yeah, contacted & he's asking for a reasonable refund for the damage. I don't know what's reasonable i this case. Since no one would buy knowingly a broken toy when there's others around.

jazzcomp
9th March 2014, 10:23 PM
Damn :(
From your photo, JC, it looks like the anchor for the smokestack should still be inside the arm & repairable with the right glue.

Its easy enough to get to by removing the small screws. i found laying him face down when taking off the rear cover easier; there's a spring, washer, ratchet joint & metal plate that can fall out & fly off if you're not careful
Yeah, it's there. Definitely repairable :). Thanks!

Sinnertwin
9th March 2014, 11:30 PM
No sweat ;)

Has anybody managed to succesfully order the BH Predacons Rising Night Shadow Bumblebee & Blight pack from Amazon?
Ive tried about 6 different retailers that are fullfilled by Amazon, but no dice.

Sky Shadow
9th March 2014, 11:50 PM
Has anybody managed to succesfully order the BH Predacons Rising Night Shadow Bumblebee & Blight pack from Amazon?
Ive tried about 6 different retailers that are fullfilled by Amazon, but no dice.

Are you sure that they're AmazonGlobal Eligible? I don't see any that are, so I would guess that's why it won't be shipped to you.

griffin
10th March 2014, 12:00 AM
I got mine from this ebayer (http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_osacat=0&_armrs=1&_ssn=dragon.media&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xtrans formers&_nkw=transformers&_sacat=0&_from=R40), with the other Predacon Rising items that I didn't get from BBTS.

Sinnertwin
10th March 2014, 12:18 AM
Are you sure that they're AmazonGlobal Eligible? I don't see any that are, so I would guess that's why it won't be shipped to you.

Looks that way, not to worry :)
I placed an order with a few other items that had the same shipping issue, but managed to find & replace them with exactly the same items from other sellers that were also fulfilled by Amazon with no hassles.

I got mine from this ebayer (http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_osacat=0&_armrs=1&_ssn=dragon.media&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xtrans formers&_nkw=transformers&_sacat=0&_from=R40), with the other Predacon Rising items that I didn't get from BBTS.

Much obliged :D

Sky Shadow
10th March 2014, 07:26 PM
So... are IDW G1 Rattrap and Waspinator are the same characters as IDW Beast Wars Rattrap and Waspinator? Because... that makes no sense at all, right?

Mythirax
10th March 2014, 07:27 PM
So... are IDW G1 Rattrap and Waspinator are the same characters as IDW Beast Wars Rattrap and Waspinator? Because... that makes no sense at all, right?

I been wondering how all this works myself :confused:

Trent
10th March 2014, 07:30 PM

And Tankor. Don't forget Tankor.

Sky Shadow
10th March 2014, 07:36 PM
And Tankor. Don't forget Tankor.

Oh yeah - assuming IDW Beast Wars leads into Beast Machines then that one's really crazy unless Beast Machines Megatron reformatted Rhinox into Tankor based on the template of the original Tankor, who isn't actually the original Tankor, because Octane is the original Tankor and the other guy just has the same name. Or something. Where's the head-exploding emoticon again?

Paulbot
10th March 2014, 07:36 PM

No they are not the same characters because IDW Beast Wars is part of the Beast Wars cartoon continuity, not part of IDW's G1 continuity.

The Rattrap, Waspinator and Tankor are multiverse equivalents. They have no more connection to the cartoon versions as say IDW G1 Prowl has to the G1 cartoon Prowl.

Sky Shadow
10th March 2014, 07:47 PM
No they are not the same characters because IDW Beast Wars is part of the Beast Wars cartoon continuity, not part of IDW's G1 continuity.

Okay, that makes sense - thanks. Well in that case, they might as well go all out in G1 and use every great Transformers character from the multiverse (I guess Sky-Byte is part of that too). And the reason I was trying to work that out was because I deliberately left Dinobot out my offhand list of characters (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=405155&postcount=8) McCarthy should have used instead of inventing Drift. But in that case, he's on my list too.

Bidoofdude
10th March 2014, 10:01 PM
Three questions for me:

-When insuring collections, would you cost an item on how much it would cost to replace it, or how much you bought it for? (I'm highly guessing it's the former)

-How tall is MP-10 up to the tip of his horns?

-Does anywhere still have Takara MP-10 in stock?'

Thanks.

Iriorne
10th March 2014, 10:21 PM
Three questions for me [...]

1. Not an expert, but will depend on the policy. Often you use a depreciated value, with the rate specified by the insurer. For example, a 3 year old computer depreciated at 20% per year with a new price of $1000 will have a current insured value of $400. You should definitely contact a/your policy provider for advice on what is most appropriate for your needs.
2. Roughly 24.5 cm.
3. Have only seen YOTH MP-10 on the usual e-tail sites. Try ebay?

griffin
10th March 2014, 11:10 PM
Some insurance questions were asked here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=17869)... and a policy would depend on "purchase" value, "replacement" value or "current" value, particularly when it comes to collectables that are constantly changing value.
Purchase value - what you originally spent on it.
Current value - what you can get for it now if you sold it right now.
Replacement value - what it would cost to replace it, fast (as in, paying extra to replace it now in the same condition, without searching months or years for a cheap replacement).

So for that last one, if you had a complete Optimus Prime that you bought in 1984 and it is out of packaging...
Purchase value - about $40-50.
Current value - probably about $100-200
Replacement value - could be up to or over $1000, depending on how quickly you want a complete original... that might need to be in a sealed original packaging just to guarantee it.

It's necessary to pre-allocate your collection's value according to how you want to be compensated by your Insurer, and see if an insurance company can calculate a policy to that value.
As long as you or your area is not deemed high-risk by an Insurance company, and can have the value of your items authenticated in some way (that they accept), they would just charge you a rate based on your designated value - the more you want in return for lost items, the higher the premium.

Bidoofdude
11th March 2014, 06:05 PM
1. Not an expert, but will depend on the policy. Often you use a depreciated value, with the rate specified by the insurer. For example, a 3 year old computer depreciated at 20% per year with a new price of $1000 will have a current insured value of $400. You should definitely contact a/your policy provider for advice on what is most appropriate for your needs.
2. Roughly 24.5 cm.
3. Have only seen YOTH MP-10 on the usual e-tail sites. Try ebay?

Thanks man. He's taller than I thought, which is good.

BigTransformerTrev
12th March 2014, 10:51 AM
Did any Aussies get the TFCC issue 54? 55 just showed up for me but I never got the last one :(

There was a post somewhere about the non-US issues going missing, and that they'd send them out again.... whenever they get around to it. :p

Finally arrived yesterday. Can't say it was massively worth the wait :rolleyes:

Verno
12th March 2014, 11:58 AM

Perhaps the most interesting thing about their inclusion in IDW is their size. In the BW TV series, Rattrap and Waspy were around 2m tall. But in IDW, they're G1-scale, so 6-8m tall perhaps. So if they were to ever meet their multiversal selves, it would be a a lot like this:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/vlcsnap-2012-03-13-09h36m19s73_4745.jpg

Jinto
12th March 2014, 12:39 PM
Perhaps the most interesting thing about their inclusion in IDW is their size. In the BW TV series, Rattrap and Waspy were around 2m tall. But in IDW, they're G1-scale, so 6-8m tall perhaps. So if they were to ever meet their multiversal selves, it would be a a lot like this:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/vlcsnap-2012-03-13-09h36m19s73_4745.jpg

Oh wow, I never connected those dots... IDW Rattrap and Waspy are huge!

GoktimusPrime
12th March 2014, 02:30 PM
Excellent point from Verno. :) Proper BW Transformers are essentially the next step from Micromaster technology; i.e. downsizing of Transformers for the purposes of superior fuel efficiency. IDW G1 Rattrap, Waspinator, Sky-Byte & Tankor are, as Verno rightfully pointed out, the same size as Autobots & Decepticons. So they basically transform into gigantic animals! (e.g. a rat the size of a car, wasp the size of a light aircraft etc.) :eek: Though I'm sure Tankor's not complaining about being upsized. ;)

DELTAprime
12th March 2014, 03:32 PM
Excellent point from Verno. :) Proper BW Transformers are essentially the next step from Micromaster technology; i.e. downsizing of Transformers for the purposes of superior fuel efficiency. IDW G1 Rattrap, Waspinator, Sky-Byte & Tankor are, as Verno rightfully pointed out, the same size as Autobots & Decepticons. So they basically transform into gigantic animals! (e.g. a rat the size of a car, wasp the size of a light aircraft etc.) :eek: Though I'm sure Tankor's not complaining about being upsized. ;)

Sky-Byte has always been a super sized shark. Being from Car Robots/RID, not BW he never was shrunk down. He was fairly good size compared to the Autobot Brothers in RID. Cyber Shark on the other hand was BW so he would be tiny compared to his mould mate Sky-Byte.

BigTransformerTrev
12th March 2014, 05:09 PM

The TFCC 54 Magazine talks about (well, makes up really :p;)) how after Galvatron and Scorponok were ejected into space at the end of Season 4, Razorclaw took over the remnants of the Decepticons. It was his influence that eventually made sure they all had beast modes and were referred to as Predacons rather than Decepticons. Since they had so little energon he utilized the Micromaster process to downsize his forces bodies to be more full efficient. Thus the Predacons of the Beast Era were born :)

Sky-Byte has always been a super sized shark. Being from Car Robots/RID, not BW he never was shrunk down. He was fairly good size compared to the Autobot Brothers in RID. Cyber Shark on the other hand was BW so he would be tiny compared to his mould mate Sky-Byte.

About the only character I took a real shine to in that series :D

Sky Shadow
12th March 2014, 05:17 PM

Um... Goki, Rattrap and Waspinator have always been gigantic animals. Now they're just even more gigantic. :) Which is typical in the G1 universe anyway, e.g. the Predacons, the Seacons, 70% of the 1987 Decepticons, so the newbies shouldn't really stand out.

Verno
12th March 2014, 05:49 PM
The TFCC 54 Magazine talks about (well, makes up really :p;)) how after Galvatron and Scorponok were ejected into space at the end of Season 4, Razorclaw took over the remnants of the Decepticons. It was his influence that eventually made sure they all had beast modes and were referred to as Predacons rather than Decepticons. Since they had so little energon he utilized the Micromaster process to downsize his forces bodies to be more full efficient. Thus the Predacons of the Beast Era were born :)

Well, that's a simple way to explain it.

Not a very exciting one though :p

Verno
12th March 2014, 06:40 PM
In the IDW-verse, was it ever established how many members made up the Senate? Before they were all killed, of course.

Sky Shadow
12th March 2014, 06:47 PM

That's actually perfect, (and oddly similar to a fanfic I once wrote) as it covers the downsizing because of fuel efficiency (Razorclaw's fetish), changing the Decpticon faction name to 'Predacon' (as the team Razorclaw leads) and the fact that Razorclaw/Razor Claw are two of the G1 names 'chosen' by Beast Wars characters potentially as a homage to a 'hero' of the Great War.

GoktimusPrime
12th March 2014, 10:05 PM
Fair point. :)

Um... Goki, Rattrap and Waspinator have always been gigantic animals. Now they're just even more gigantic. :) Which is typical in the G1 universe anyway, e.g. the Predacons, the Seacons, 70% of the 1987 Decepticons, so the newbies shouldn't really stand out.
True. One interesting thing that the G1 comics did was to allow the Insecticons to mass-shift down to the size of actual insects in their Insecticon modes. ;) (and Galvatron was able to mass-shift when he transformed into his gun mode too)

Mythirax
12th March 2014, 11:57 PM
Oh wow, I never connected those dots... IDW Rattrap and Waspy are huge!

Wow :eek:

jazzcomp
13th March 2014, 09:16 AM
Is there a difference between the Takara G1 key chain TFs and the other version (Fun something)?

Sky Shadow
13th March 2014, 10:34 AM
Is there a difference between the Takara G1 key chain TFs and the other version (Fun something)?

Some of the Takara ones are black? (The 'Fun' companies were Fun4All/Basic Fun.) I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of knockoffs too, so you just need to ensure it's from one of the three official companies above.

jazzcomp
13th March 2014, 12:42 PM
Some of the Takara ones are black? (The 'Fun' companies were Fun4All/Basic Fun.) I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of knockoffs too, so you just need to ensure it's from one of the three official companies above.
Can you differentiate between those official manufacturers?

Lint
16th March 2014, 02:06 PM
After more than an hour of skull-crushing I finally managed to get the Darth Vader/Death Star transformed into a perfect sphere. God my hands hurt. My only question now is there anywhere to store the lightsaber? Everything else seems to have a home.

Megatran
16th March 2014, 03:09 PM
After more than an hour of skull-crushing I finally managed to get the Darth Vader/Death Star transformed into a perfect sphere. God my hands hurt. My only question now is there anywhere to store the lightsaber? Everything else seems to have a home.

Unfortunately, the light saber is not storable in his Death Star alt mode.

Golden Phoenix
16th March 2014, 03:09 PM

No where specific, but if I remember right (it has been a long time since I handled the figure) there should be plenty of empty space under the shell to fit it.

DELTAprime
16th March 2014, 09:48 PM

There is room to shove it between his folded legs and body.:eek:

Bidoofdude
16th March 2014, 10:10 PM
Is Generations Drift a good figure? He looks pretty good and from what I've read in the review thread he seems pretty nice. His Blurr redeco looks nice as well. Should I get him?

Lint
16th March 2014, 10:21 PM
There is room to shove it between his folded legs and body.:eek:

I can't seem to find the sweet spot to jam it in, don't know if I really want to force it :p

Is Generations Drift a good figure? He looks pretty good and from what I've read in the review thread he seems pretty nice. His Blurr redeco looks nice as well. Should I get him?

Both Drift and Blurr are nice figures. Blurr might not look like much from the images but is far more convincing once you have him in-hand.

GoktimusPrime
16th March 2014, 10:51 PM
Drift review thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=7776)
Blurr review thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=9045)

DELTAprime
17th March 2014, 04:52 PM

Very nice figures, both characters work well with that mould.

SuspectimusPrime
24th March 2014, 02:45 PM
Both Drift and Blurr are nice figures. Blurr might not look like much from the images but is far more convincing once you have him in-hand.

Drift review thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=7776)
Blurr review thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=9045)

TFCC Shattered Glass Drift is quite nice too if you can find one at a sensible price.

i_amtrunks
24th March 2014, 05:19 PM
TFCC Shattered Glass Drift is quite nice too if you can find one at a sensible price.

All three look quite nice together as well, even though they are the same toy, they look vastly different, especially if you Takara Blurr, which can be cheaper than the Hasbro version nowadays.

MayzaPrime
24th March 2014, 06:16 PM
All three look quite nice together as well, even though they are the same toy, they look vastly different, especially if you Takara Blurr, which can be cheaper than the Hasbro version nowadays.

Drift/Blurr is one of my favourite Generations figure... SG Drift is a great homage to Deadpool :D

Sinnertwin
24th March 2014, 07:57 PM

As far as i know, these were manufactured by Fun 4 All and packed in both Hasbro & Takara markets -although Takara's were blindpacked.

You can determine if they're legitimate by checking their copyright stampings, i think it was something like F4A Hasbro 200X
Bumble and Cliff will have theirs under their feet
Windcharger's is on his wheel and
Braun's is on his rear door

SuspectimusPrime
26th March 2014, 12:57 PM
I've just noticed that G1 cartoons which used to be free for view on Youtube, now comes with a disclaimer saying that it's not available for viewing in Australia. WTH. When did this happen? :(

I've got all the original episodes locked up somewhere, but from time to time would like to just stream a few snippets, battles scenes or half episodes to watch on the go..

Tetsuwan Convoy
26th March 2014, 01:32 PM
I've just noticed that G1 cartoons which used to be free for view on Youtube, now comes with a disclaimer saying that it's not available for viewing in Australia. WTH. When did this happen? :(

I've got all the original episodes locked up somewhere, but from time to time would like to just stream a few snippets, battles scenes or half episodes to watch on the go..

I discovered that as well.

On the other hand, Takaratomy is uploading Beast Wars and G1 to youtube and can watch them no problems.

griffin
26th March 2014, 02:54 PM
I saw the same thing the other day, when I was wanting to quickly verify a phrase from a first-season episode. Really weird.

Megatran
26th March 2014, 04:29 PM
How many redeco of Ruination have there been over the years?

Hursticon
26th March 2014, 05:44 PM

I discovered that as well.

On the other hand, Takaratomy is uploading Beast Wars and G1 to youtube and can watch them no problems.

I saw the same thing the other day, when I was wanting to quickly verify a phrase from a first-season episode. Really weird.

Madman clamping down on their "distribution rights" I bet. :rolleyes:

Tetsuwan Convoy
27th March 2014, 02:47 PM
What's the clear red Megatron that comes with MP Soundblaster supposed to reference?

SuspectimusPrime
27th March 2014, 03:01 PM
What's the clear red Megatron that comes with MP Soundblaster supposed to reference?

Nothing comes to mind in terms of the cartoons (based off the two times I've watched/rewatch Headmasters). Seems like it was just handy to use the same colour plastic as Soundblaster's energon cubes. Since Soundblaster did not interact with Megatron in the cartoon, maybe they felt that it didn't fit the scene for him to be holding Megs.

Sky Shadow
27th March 2014, 03:59 PM

Hate plague Galvatron? :confused: Since he comes with a red Energon cube, maybe it's an Energon weapon.

DELTAprime
27th March 2014, 06:01 PM
The other releases of the MP Megatron gun all are obvious. MP-01/MP-04 are Megatron, MP-02 is Diaclone Megatron. The MP-13 version is Megatron again, but is a slight remould of the MP-01 version to basically make it a little more sturdy. This red Megatron is just out of left field.:confused:

GoktimusPrime
27th March 2014, 08:14 PM
Megaplex colours might've been better. :/

Megatran
27th March 2014, 09:18 PM
I've noticed the 5 digit alpha numeric code is NOT punched on a few of my TF box packaging. Are these unauthorised production runs, or worst still KOs? :confused: Or have I got nothing to worry about?

liegeprime
28th March 2014, 12:26 AM

It references the laziness of the Design and production team at Taktom to come up with a legitimately original accessory to come with MP SoundBlaster.:p

DELTAprime
28th March 2014, 09:30 AM
It references the laziness of the Design and production team at Taktom to come up with a legitimately original accessory to come with MP SoundBlaster.:p

I think you figured it out.:p

Paulbot
28th March 2014, 10:05 AM
I've noticed the 5 digit alpha numeric code is NOT punched on a few of my TF box packaging. Are these unauthorised production runs, or worst still KOs? :confused: Or have I got nothing to worry about?

Which figures in particular and what was your source for them? Some of us might have the same ones and can check. It's not something I've ever looked for on packaging, I've seen it but never taken much notice.

Golden Phoenix
28th March 2014, 01:29 PM
Hate plague Galvatron? :confused: Since he comes with a red Energon cube, maybe it's an Energon weapon.

Don't you remember that episode where Soundblaster did that thing with the stuff? Then had a clear red Megatron like gun that he shot some Autobots with or something.

And then they had energon cake.

Megatran
28th March 2014, 06:22 PM
Which figures in particular and what was your source for them? Some of us might have the same ones and can check. It's not something I've ever looked for on packaging, I've seen it but never taken much notice.

My JP Encore 01 Optimus Prime and Encore 03 Soundwave doesn't have the 5 alpha numeric digits punched on the box packaging, whereas the rest of my Encore series have. That's really strange.

I'm not absolutely certain where I sourced these two from, but I think Encore 01 Optimus was from a forum member and Encore 03 Soundwave was from an Asian (HK or Japanese) online store. Don't hold me to that though. And I don't use eBay.

GoktimusPrime
28th March 2014, 11:52 PM
And I don't use eBay.
<high-fives> :D

Tetsuwan Convoy
29th March 2014, 09:50 PM

Man, looking at the responses to this question, even though I still don't know the answer, I sure am glad I asked :D:D:D

Paulbot
29th March 2014, 10:53 PM
My JP Encore 01 Optimus Prime and Encore 03 Soundwave doesn't have the 5 alpha numeric digits punched on the box packaging, whereas the rest of my Encore series have. That's really strange.

I'm not absolutely certain where I sourced these two from, but I think Encore 01 Optimus was from a forum member and Encore 03 Soundwave was from an Asian (HK or Japanese) online store. Don't hold me to that though. And I don't use eBay.

I don't have Soundwave but I've got Prime, and my box does have those stamped digits (below what I think are Japanese recycling symbols). Not sure what that means about yours though sorry. Anyone else able to check theirs?

Kapryiath
29th March 2014, 11:13 PM
why didnt hasbro make yoth mp10 as g2 prime with a black trailer? all i want is a g2 mp prime with a black trailer!!!!
was g2 really that unpopular?

Bidoofdude
30th March 2014, 12:12 AM
why didnt hasbro make yoth mp10 as g2 prime with a black trailer? all i want is a g2 mp prime with a black trailer!!!!

We'll probably get an eHobby release or something sometime. We have G2 Sideswipe.

iamirondude
30th March 2014, 05:13 PM
does anyone know what botshots were released in the 2nd series and the last wave of series 1 that we missed.

GoktimusPrime
30th March 2014, 09:07 PM
I don't know about you, but my TF collecting was at an all time low during the G2 years (1993-95). I only collected about 35 figures during that period; my current G2 collection only stands at 42, or just 2% of my collection. And I didn't exactly see G2 toys fly off shelves either, not even some of the better figures. e.g. IMHO Laser Optimus Prime is one of the greatest toys not only in G2, but in all TF history... yet I distinctly remember that toy shelfwarming. I was still able to find loads of Laser Primes in stores as late as 1998 (I went and bought a second one just to keep it sealed, which I've since traded off ;)).

griffin
30th March 2014, 10:15 PM
does anyone know what botshots were released in the 2nd series and the last wave of series 1 that we missed.

All covered in the Checklist (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=15196) (2012 for Series 1, 2013 for Series 2).

iamirondude
30th March 2014, 10:51 PM
All covered in the Checklist (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=15196) (2012 for Series 1, 2013 for Series 2).

thanks.

Sinnertwin
30th March 2014, 11:31 PM
I don't have Soundwave but I've got Prime, and my box does have those stamped digits (below what I think are Japanese recycling symbols). Not sure what that means about yours though sorry. Anyone else able to check theirs?

K0 907

Megatran
31st March 2014, 12:23 PM
K0 907

What does this mean for my one WITHOUT the stamped 5 digit code??? Is it a KO or unauthorised production run? :confused:

ILikeSoundwave
1st April 2014, 03:53 PM
Will the AOE toys be released on May 17th here just like over in the U.S?

griffin
1st April 2014, 04:20 PM
Most likely, as the master cartons that appeared at Toyworlds had that date stamped on them.

Ode to a Grasshopper
1st April 2014, 06:20 PM
To anyone who has them both...how does the Blazemaster minicon/weapon from Generations Legends Bumblebee (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=15989) work with Classics Deluxe Bumblebee? Can the Classics 'bee mold hold/use the Blazemaster weapon-mode, and how does it look on a scale of 'awesome' to 'crap'?

Secondly...how does the Generations Legends Bumblebee figure itself scale with MP10 Optimus Prime?

I've got a United 'bee with the Growing Pains kit for an Odieverse Goldbug, but I've never really been happy with the guns for him and I'm wondering if the Blazemaster minicon might work better for my purposes.

GoktimusPrime
3rd April 2014, 09:52 AM
Is MP Alert scheduled to be re-released? Because there's someone on FB who reckons that they've already PRE-ordered the new release of MP Alert, but I couldn't find anything on Amazon JP. Granted Amazon JP aren't always the first to list these toys, but just wondering if this is legit and I should keep my eyes peeled for it to be listed or not. :o

BigTransformerTrev
3rd April 2014, 10:10 AM
Is MP Alert scheduled to be re-released? Because there's someone on FB who reckons that they've already PRE-ordered the new release of MP Alert, but I couldn't find anything on Amazon JP. Granted Amazon JP aren't always the first to list these toys, but just wondering if this is legit and I should keep my eyes peeled for it to be listed or not. :o

Pretty sure I saw the pre-order for the re-release of Alert on BBTS a few weeks ago. Hope Im not mixing that up with the current re-release of Lambor.

Iriorne
3rd April 2014, 11:29 AM
Pretty sure I saw the pre-order for the re-release of Alert on BBTS a few weeks ago. Hope Im not mixing that up with the current re-release of Lambor.

I believe both are being re-released. MP-12 a few weeks ago and MP-14 in a another month or two? Something like that.

tf22raptor
3rd April 2014, 11:45 AM
Hi guys, am looking to start collecting masterpeices after seeing soundwave. Im guessing the only way to get my hands MP-02 soundwave as the poster above says is to pay the inflated $250 off ebay is that correct? Or buy a takara MP-13 for cheaper and then try and find the cassets ravage etc that come with mp-02 but not mp-13. What are those cassets sold as any one know? I cant find them anyware, any help would be great

Sinnertwin
3rd April 2014, 11:50 AM
Red Alert has a 4th Quarter arrival date listed on BBTS

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11798&mode=retail

tf22raptor
3rd April 2014, 12:03 PM
ok found them mp-15 and mp-16 still looking at $200+ all up if I go mp-13,15,16 compared with just MP-02

DELTAprime
3rd April 2014, 03:19 PM
The second run Lambor and Alert are Hasbro HK only AFAIK. I looked on the Japanese sites and couldn't find them. Glad I already got mine.

GoktimusPrime
3rd April 2014, 09:46 PM
BBTS are charging eighty US dollars to pre-order 2nd run MP Alert! :eek:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/spitdrink-1.gif
I'd normally just wait for Amazon... but if this toy isn't going to be released in Japan, would anyone know of any places with better prices where one might get MP Alert? :confused:

Trent
3rd April 2014, 10:13 PM

That was how much the first run cost at BBTS.

I'd normally just wait for Amazon... but if this toy isn't going to be released in Japan, would anyone know of any places with better prices where one might get MP Alert? :confused:

No. Unfortunately not.

GoktimusPrime
3rd April 2014, 10:29 PM
...looks like I'll be skipping MP Alert for a second time then

Megatran
3rd April 2014, 11:13 PM
...looks like I'll be skipping MP Alert for a second time then

Bit the bullet & pre-ordered from BBTS. I'm hoping one of the Asian online store will offer the 2nd run over the coming months. Either way, it's gonna be a long wait.

Megatran
6th April 2014, 09:32 AM
What is the origin of Optimus in green colour deco (some have referred to as 'snotimus' Prime)?

Trent
6th April 2014, 10:28 AM
What is the origin of Optimus in green colour deco (some have referred to as 'snotimus' Prime)?

Metroplex sneezed on him ;)

Sinnertwin
6th April 2014, 10:54 AM
His toy bio (Commander Class) makes some attempt at explaining

OPTIMUS PRIME bursts out from behind cover in the dense jungle, ready to do battle with PREDAKING!

Mythirax
6th April 2014, 02:31 PM
His toy bio (Commander Class) makes some attempt at explaining

Haha, that's terrible.

griffin
6th April 2014, 05:44 PM
That was a question I was asking some time ago as well (in a rant somewhere about illogical redecos just to give retailers "new" stock), because last year we got two green Optimus toys in Beast Hunters...

Maybe a homage to the BAPE green Convoy perhaps? I don't recall that colour being used before for a Hasbro Optimus toy (or in fiction).
Usually it is white or black as a redeco, so this green colouring is an unusual choice, and having it twice in the one year makes it even stranger.

I've added it to my BotCon questions list, to see what the Hasbro designers/colourists have to say.

Kapryiath
6th April 2014, 10:10 PM
here's a question for the wiser people out there, how many different transformers featured in the g1 cartoon? i'm beginning a quest to have the entire g1 cast as toys, but i'd like to know the number i'm chasing :)

Paulbot
6th April 2014, 10:26 PM
You're looking at around 166 at a very quick count for the four series.

This doesn't include the neo-G1 toys like Hauler and characters that only got toys in other series like Defcon, Alpha Trion, Chromia, Orion Pax, etc.

Nor characters that appeared in the Japanese G1 cartoons or just in animated toy commericals.

Kapryiath
6th April 2014, 10:48 PM
wow really 166 different characters? thats pretty massive thats actually freakin heaps
i suppose thinking about it there are quite a few , but for an animated series from the 80's surely thats alot of individual characters to be voiced?

Paulbot
6th April 2014, 10:55 PM
There were 72 toys in the 1985 toyline alone (and only 8 of them didn't make it into the cartoon). So yep it's a big lot to collect. Throw in nearly 50 more from 86 + 87 and it's a big cast.

Of course some characters didn't have voices as such (Ravage, Laserbeak) but I realise my count doesn't include combined robots (Devastator, Superion etc) so yeah a lot of voices!

Sinnertwin
6th April 2014, 10:57 PM
Keep in mind that some characters like Skids had next to no dialogue & by using the same voice actor to do multiple characters, it wasn't hard to work out who was voicing them like Prowl, Scrapper & Swoop, for instance
Good luck with your chase :)

Paulbot
6th April 2014, 11:01 PM
I recall Griffin has a list of Voice Actors on this site http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=16265

I would have thought there'd be a show character list (by character not actor) somewhere online, but it's easy for us to give you one.

Kapryiath
6th April 2014, 11:12 PM
i assumed id find one online but a quick google didnt give me much results i will persist with the search tomorrow

Sinnertwin
7th April 2014, 12:15 AM
This should cover the 1984-87 cartoon line up.

Afterburner
Air Raid
Apeface
Astrotrain
Beachcomber
Blades
Blast Off
Blaster
Blitzwing
Blot
Bluestreak
Blurr or Blurr with Haywire
Bombshell
Bonecrusher
Brainstorm
Brawl
Brawn
Breakdown
Broadside
Bumblebee
Buzzsaw
Chase
Chromedome
Cliffjumper
Cloudraker
Counterpunch/Punch
Cosmos
Crosshairs
Cutthroat
Cyclonus or Cyclonus with Nightstick
Dead End
Dirge
Divebomb
Dragstrip
Eject
Fastlane
Fireflight
First Aid
Fortress Maximus
Freeway
Frenzy
Galvatron
Gears
Goldbug
Gnaw
Grapple
Grimlock
Groove
Hardhead
Headstrong
Highbrow
Hoist
Hook
Hot Spot
Hound
Hot Rod or Hot Rod with Firebolt
Huffer
HunGrrr
Inferno
Ironhide
Jazz
Jetfire (Skyfire)
Kickback
Kup or Kup with Recoil
Laserbeak
Lightspeed
Longhaul
Megatron
Metroplex
Mindwipe
Misfire
Mixmaster
Mirage
Motormaster
Nosecone
Octane
Omega Supreme
Onslaught
Optimus Prime
Outback
Overkill
Perceptor
Pipes
Pointblank
Pounce
Powerglide
Prowl
Ramhorn
Ramjet
Rampage
Ratbat
Ratchet
Ravage
Razorclaw
Red Alert
Reflector (comprised of Spectro + Spyglass + Viewfinder)
Rewind
Rippersnapper
Rodimus Prime
Rollbar
Rumble
Runabout
Runamuck
Sandstorm
Scattershot
Scavenger
Scorponok
Scourge or Scourge with Fracas
Scrapper
Searchlight
Seaspray
Shockwave
Shrapnel
Sideswipe
Silverbolt
Sinnertwin
Sixshot
Skids
Skullcruncher
Skydive
Sky Lynx
Skywarp
Slag
Slingshot
Sludge
Slugfest
Slugslinger
Smokescreen
Snapdragon
Snarl
Soundwave
Springer
Starscream
Steeljaw
Strafe
Streetwise
Sureshot
Sunstreaker
Swindle
Swoop
Tailgate
Tantrum
Thrust
Thundercracker
Tracks
Trailbreaker
Triggerhappy
Trypticon
Ultra Magnus
Vortex
Warpath
Wheeljack
Wheelie
Wideload
Wierdwolf
Wildrider
Windcharger
Wingspan
Wreck Gar

griffin
7th April 2014, 12:28 AM
I recall Griffin has a list of Voice Actors on this site http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=16265

I would have thought there'd be a show character list (by character not actor) somewhere online, but it's easy for us to give you one.

That list still omitted some people who voiced one-off characters who didn't have much screen-time... because I didn't expect them to be considered worthwhile Convention guests (but this year actually has one that isn't on my list, because she wasn't a significant role).

Incidentally, I did up that list from Zobovor's voice actor and character listings... which I saved back in 2005, and keep it as a significant resource (the rest came from TFwiki).
I did a search, and it looks like they weren't archived anywhere...
So, for a brief look at those two files, I've temporarily put them on my server, and will take them down within a day, as I don't have permission to host them, and don't want to be accused of owning them or taking credit for them. Save it if you want it for your own archives, but don't pass it on, or the links.
The Voice Actor list (http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/tfvoiceac.htm) (1984-2001)
Character list (http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/tfvoicech.htm) (1984-2001)
NOTE - NONE OF THE LINKS ARE VALID, SO DON'T CLICK ON ANYTHING

jazzcomp
7th April 2014, 03:21 PM
Is there a SCF PVC Victory Leo? Not the Mega SCF.

griffin
7th April 2014, 07:16 PM
Is there a SCF PVC Victory Leo? Not the Mega SCF.

I don't think so, as there was a Star Saber, and bonus parts to form Victory Saber... but no actual Victory Leo (and the bonus parts didn't combine to form Victory Leo either).

jazzcomp
7th April 2014, 11:28 PM
I don't think so, as there was a Star Saber, and bonus parts to form Victory Saber... but no actual Victory Leo (and the bonus parts didn't combine to form Victory Leo either).
Intriguing, maybe it's a custom.

griffin
8th April 2014, 12:01 AM
Link?

The TFWiki Victory Leo (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Victory_Leo) and Star Saber (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Star_Saber_%28Victory%29) pages list the SCFs and Mega SCFs, and it does look like there was no Victory Leo SCF.

jazzcomp
8th April 2014, 12:23 AM
Here's a pic.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/complicated8/TF_stuff/SCF.jpg

griffin
8th April 2014, 02:52 PM
That's the Mega SCF Victory Leo (as is the Rodimus and Star Saber at the back).
The Grand Max is the regular one made up from the bonus parts from it's wave, so it stands taller than regular SCFs... but just a little shorter than Mega SCFs.

jazzcomp
8th April 2014, 08:03 PM
That's the Mega SCF Victory Leo (as is the Rodimus and Star Saber at the back).
The Grand Max is the regular one made up from the bonus parts from it's wave, so it stands taller than regular SCFs... but just a little shorter than Mega SCFs.
Thanks, i thought it was a camera angle trick making them look bigger. I thought they were like Scorponok and Black Zarak size.

liegeprime
11th April 2014, 08:59 AM
Is the Encore line DEAD? I know the current thrust is that of the Bayverse movie 4 but I haven't heard anything from the line at all after the release of #23 Encore Fort Max... was he the last? anybody know? Shame if so coz there's still a LOT of G1 Tfs they need to reissue - Blitzwing comes to mind - since they still have that mold Im sure, and they really need to to retro mould Mirage , Sunstreaker and Wheeljack - the KO makers are making a ton from what they should've been profiteering from, poor Hasbro move again...

Trent
11th April 2014, 09:18 AM
Is the Encore line DEAD? I know the current thrust is that of the Bayverse movie 4 but I haven't heard anything from the line at all after the release of #23 Encore Fort Max... was he the last? anybody know? Shame if so coz there's still a LOT of G1 Tfs they need to reissue - Blitzwing comes to mind - since they still have that mold Im sure, and they really need to to retro mould Mirage , Sunstreaker and Wheeljack - the KO makers are making a ton from what they should've been profiteering from, poor Hasbro move again...

Fort Max was indeed the last one reissued. And yeah, it's been a while with not so much as even a rumour of who is next. I'm hanging out for Scorponok or Trypticon personally. But yeah, it would be a shame if they stopped.

Hursticon
11th April 2014, 11:00 AM
Fort Max was indeed the last one reissued. And yeah, it's been a while with not so much as even a rumour of who is next. I'm hanging out for Scorponok or Trypticon personally. But yeah, it would be a shame if they stopped.

I reckon the Encore line is just taking a hiatus or back-seat to the priority line/s, i.e. the next movie but I'm damn with you Trent on a reissue Trypticon, I'd be even more so for a Scorponok if I didn't have an entirely complete original already. ;):)

griffin
11th April 2014, 01:59 PM
I'd still be betting on at least one encore Dinobot... or at least, not be surprised if we get one this year because of the theme that everyone is cashing in on (even Shout Factory).
Or as others are hoping, Trypticon, because of the dinosaur theme, and because the moulds might still be in storage somewhere after its more "recent" usage in 1998 for Beast Wars (Japan).

Bidoofdude
11th April 2014, 04:26 PM
Encore Trypticon is essential for me. I can't pay upwards of $300 for a complete one. They could release the dinobots in two packs and have Grimlock or Swoop separate.

Ode to a Grasshopper
11th April 2014, 09:18 PM
I could go a Reissue Trypticon. And a Scorponok too.

That said, if I were a gambling man - which I'm not - I'd be putting my money on Ultra Magnus for the next (or if not next then the one-after-next) Encore.

Bidoofdude
11th April 2014, 09:20 PM
I could go a Reissue Trypticon. And a Scorponok too.

That said, if I were a gambling man - which I'm not - I'd be putting my money on Ultra Magnus for the next (or if not next then the one-after-next) Encore.

I can't see him getting too much popularity, considering many would already have one of the several reissues he has had, including his re-reissue in Asia in 2012, though people will go nuts for short missiles. -_-

GoktimusPrime
11th April 2014, 10:08 PM
Yeah, but as the reissue has already been done, it's a low-cost (and thus low risk) reissue as opposed to gambling on a toy that hasn't already been reissued. Having said that, I'd totally buy a reissue Dinosaurer fer sher. ;)

DELTAprime
13th April 2014, 05:25 PM
Aside from the fore mentioned Trypticon and Scoponok I would love reissues of the Headmaster and Headmaster Jr's. I have Encore Fort Max and a mint G1 Hosehead/Masterforce Cab but would love to keep building out my Headmaster collection.

Hursticon
13th April 2014, 07:28 PM
Aside from the fore mentioned Trypticon and Scoponok I would love reissues of the Headmaster and Headmaster Jr's. I have Encore Fort Max and a mint G1 Hosehead/Masterforce Cab but would love to keep building out my Headmaster collection.

In light of all the recent KOs of the Headmasters :mad::(, as well as the practically extortionate asking prices for complete originals, I'm whole-heartedly with you here dude (In-lieu of a Trypticon/Scorponok ;)) as it would be superb if they released the Headmasters & Juniors in 3-packs. :cool:

liegeprime
13th April 2014, 08:59 PM
Well whatever it is they have to continue the encore line... they still haven't redone the Insecticons in encore and that mold is available. I know it's been issued out but I have never even seen some of the ones supposedly sold at TRU. Plus the price was ridiculous. Army building dictates they do heheheh. Im oay with the big bases as well - Scorponok and Trypticon, as well as previously mentioned Blitzwing. BUt a real treat which Im sure would be a must get would be the Dino cassettrons - Jap exclusives - although Im not so sure if the molds on these were preserved at all. Sigh, the KOers were able to make a limited run and sold like hotcakes. Imagine an official one....:(

Sinnertwin
13th April 2014, 09:23 PM
Classics, eHobby, TrU Commemorative Series, TFC, Encore... reissues will always be manufactured in one way or another ;)

Tetsuwan Convoy
15th April 2014, 09:38 PM
Has anybody bought the Madman Animated DVDs that have the 16:9 ratio?

Any word on a complete set, or should I just bite the bullet and get the individual season?

Ode to a Grasshopper
16th April 2014, 07:56 AM
Classics, eHobby, TrU Commemorative Series, TFC, Encore... reissues will always be manufactured in one way or another ;)The reason I was thinking UM is that Encore specifically is a Japanese line, which UM hasn't been featured in yet, and with MP UM coming out it'd be Takara-Tomy's last chance to milk it for maximum sales.

That said, I hope I'm wrong and it's, I dunno, Trypticon or Overlord or something.

GoktimusPrime
16th April 2014, 11:18 AM
That said, I hope I'm wrong and it's, I dunno, Trypticon or Overlord or something.
^This. :)
I've been purchasing all of TakaraTOMY's big reissues (including gestalts) even when I already have the original G1 figure, just to show my support (and 'vote with my wallet') to encourage TakTOM to make more. ;)

...except for Encore Omega Supreme, I didn't get him... but I did get GADEP (so I do have a version of the Encore Omega Supreme mould). ;) It's a shame that eHobby didn't make more variants of the other big reissues. I would've really loved to see:

+ new characters based on Diaclone-coloured Constructicons
+ Metrotitan
+ Grand Maximus
+ Battle Gaea
...I think all of these concepts could work as limited exclusive toys - obviously they'd be too obscure to justify releasing them as regular mass-produced figures.

Sinnertwin
16th April 2014, 11:58 AM
Instead they rerelease Devastator with a new head sculpt in a different shade. Nevermind the G2 colours, Diaclone or even RoTF movie colours (think Encore #5) :rolleyes: :p

UltraMarginal
16th April 2014, 02:54 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/spitdrink-1.gif

that's been BBTS's price for all the MP cars, don't forget they're importing into the states before they even think about selling for a profit.

the sub $50 prices we've been lucky to see from asia is often less than retail.

Instead they rerelease Devastator with a new head sculpt in a different shade. Nevermind the G2 colours, Diaclone or even RoTF movie colours (think Encore #5) :rolleyes: :p

hey I have that animated style head sculpt Devastator, it's actually the only official devastator I've ever owned. and I dig it.:D

autobreadticon
16th April 2014, 03:37 PM
is $100 expensive for a Transformers guide book from the 2000s, e.g Transformers Generation Deluxe book or other some what limited print TF artbook and guides, there is a book i'm after but I dont want to reveal it just yet ;)

millhouse
16th April 2014, 06:27 PM
is $100 expensive for a Transformers guide book from the 2000s, e.g Transformers Generation Deluxe book or other some what limited print TF artbook and guides, there is a book i'm after but I dont want to reveal it just yet ;)

Seriously, it's pretty hard to gauge by that.

autobreadticon
16th April 2014, 06:46 PM
kk, interested in the 'Transformers First Series Complete' book released by Jive in 2004

millhouse
16th April 2014, 06:52 PM
kk, interested in the 'Transformers First Series Complete' book released by Jive in 2004

It's certainly not particularly common, and it looks pretty cool. If I was after such a book, it's probably not a bad buy and it'd certainly be nice on the bookcase. Does it come up often? If not, if you can justify the price, do it.

Paulbot
16th April 2014, 07:06 PM
It cost me around $100 when I bought it (from Minotaur many years ago).

And it's a nice book, just a shame that most to all of the toys they use aren't fully stickered up

Verno
20th April 2014, 01:54 PM
How big is Sky-Lynx?

As small as Prime?
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/e/e3/ReturnofOptimus1_Quintesson_fixing_Prime.jpg

Or as big as Superioin?
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/2/25/BigBroadcast_SkyLynx_rescue_Superion.jpg

Or is he just magically both?

Paulbot
20th April 2014, 02:55 PM
Magically both. The first pic is an animation error. Second pic is probably an error too. He usually stands taller than all but gestalts.

Verno
20th April 2014, 02:59 PM
Magically both. The first pic is an animation error. Second pic is probably an error too. He usually stands taller than all but gestalts.

Cheers, PB.

Trent
20th April 2014, 03:03 PM
How big is Sky-Lynx?

As small as Prime?
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/e/e3/ReturnofOptimus1_Quintesson_fixing_Prime.jpg

Or as big as Superioin?
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/2/25/BigBroadcast_SkyLynx_rescue_Superion.jpg

Or is he just magically both?

This (http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070805152528/transformers/images/1/18/G1DW_SkyLynx_sporting.jpg) is the correct size.

Verno
20th April 2014, 03:41 PM
This (http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070805152528/transformers/images/1/18/G1DW_SkyLynx_sporting.jpg) is the correct size.

He's enormous!

Paulbot
20th April 2014, 04:32 PM
That's Dreamwave's take. He's not that big in the G1 cartoon. He's pretty big in IDW too

Sky Shadow
20th April 2014, 04:59 PM
Sky Lynx's 'normal' size is that of a space shuttle, so he's big. Like, a fifty-metre wingspan, about the same from head to tail, and about the same again in height with his puma legs attached. So imagine the length of an Olympic swimming pool as a cube - Sky Lynx would fit in that space.

Verno
20th April 2014, 05:20 PM
Cheers for the info, lads.

Gotta love that G1 Cartoon mass-shifting!

Trent
20th April 2014, 06:12 PM
That's Dreamwave's take. He's not that big in the G1 cartoon. He's pretty big in IDW too

Sky Lynx's 'normal' size is that of a space shuttle, so he's big. Like, a fifty-metre wingspan, about the same from head to tail, and about the same again in height with his puma legs attached. So imagine the length of an Olympic swimming pool as a cube - Sky Lynx would fit in that space.

Well, even in the IDW-verse he is used as a shuttle for the Autobots. So yes, I envision him as big. Also remember that Predaking is his bitch. Ain't no midget owning Predaking ;)

Sinnertwin
20th April 2014, 08:51 PM
http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w661/sinnertwinsphotos/Bruticustoscale_zps8fde244e.jpg (http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/sinnertwinsphotos/media/Bruticustoscale_zps8fde244e.jpg.html)

Trent
20th April 2014, 10:42 PM
*snip*

I prefer this one myself ;)

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc88/Wrxus/2f3c44b5051d3c65523f366a09433548.jpg

griffin
20th April 2014, 11:00 PM
I was looking over those TF Bible size charts that are floating around, and I couldn't find Sky Lynx in it.... but like Astrotrain and Broadside, the size varied depending on the episode's needs.

Trent
20th April 2014, 11:12 PM
Speaking of scale:

What is the general consensus for the comparable size of Sixshot based on existing TF media? I don't remember him being exceptionally large in either the Headmaster or Rebirth cartoons, either Optimus or Ultra Magnus height. IDW-verse seems to have him on the same plane as Megatron and Optimus. Yet on TFW there is this group mindset that MMC Hexatron doesn't fit in the MP scale because he is too small, when he is the same height as MP-10. They say he is perfectly scaled for classics :confused: I get that the aesthetic is different, yada, yada. But size-wise it seems he is pretty bloody close to MP scale and I seriously doubt anyone else is gonna have a crack at him so I don't understand why every time Hexatron and MP get mentioned there is this massive backlash of hate :confused:

TFW is weird sometimes.

Ode to a Grasshopper
21st April 2014, 01:05 PM
This seems to be the closest I can find to a decent scale chart for Sky Lynx. (http://i.imgur.com/8QxVzsk.jpg) It's not great, but it's sort of workable.
It looks like he should be around the same height as Predaking subject to what position his neck is in, with his legs the same height as PK's knees and his body the same height as PK's, well...crotch.
His body should be about twice the size of Optimus/the Leader characters, and his neck and head around as high again.

Speaking of scale:

What is the general consensus for the comparable size of Sixshot based on existing TF media? I don't remember him being exceptionally large in either the Headmaster or Rebirth cartoons, either Optimus or Ultra Magnus height. IDW-verse seems to have him on the same plane as Megatron and Optimus. Yet on TFW there is this group mindset that MMC Hexatron doesn't fit in the MP scale because he is too small, when he is the same height as MP-10. They say he is perfectly scaled for classics :confused: I get that the aesthetic is different, yada, yada. But size-wise it seems he is pretty bloody close to MP scale and I seriously doubt anyone else is gonna have a crack at him so I don't understand why every time Hexatron and MP get mentioned there is this massive backlash of hate :confused:

TFW is weird sometimes.It kind of is, isn't it?

The official scale chart with Sixshot can be seen here (http://zarco-macross.wdfiles.com/local--files/start/Headmasters-scale.png) - it includes Metroplex and Trypticon so spotting him might be tricky. He's in the third row from the bottom.
He's apparently supposed to be a head taller than Cyclonus (not including SS's wings, which make him about 3 heads taller than the Leader characters), who's a head or so (actually a pair-of-bunny-ears if we're going to get all technical) taller than Galvatron, who's the same size as Optimus and a head shorter than Grimlock.
Except when Sixshot is a gun, or Cyclonus is a jet. Sometimes.
So yeah, scale.

Bidoofdude
21st April 2014, 04:38 PM
I prefer this one myself ;)

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc88/Wrxus/2f3c44b5051d3c65523f366a09433548.jpg

I shall call him... mini me!

Sinnertwin
21st April 2014, 08:20 PM
^ Akom. Nothing else comes close
:p

davieanix
27th April 2014, 11:59 PM
Why is RID Rapid Run rarer than the other two train bots? Been trying to find him on eBay and all that comes up is Railspike and Midnight Express. Even BBTS has those two!

Verno
28th April 2014, 01:37 PM
Do you think IDW are peeved that Hasbro are delaying (what should be) the current Generations lines?

This little pause in TF offerings (between the end of TF: Prime and the release of Movie 4) was clearly originally designed to be IDW's time to shine. Every Deluxe Generations figure slated to be released this year was to come packaged with an IDW TF Comic, be it a Spotlight issue or an issue from RID or MTMTE. For example, Waspinator comes with Issue #19 of RID. It was an obvious ploy to bring more attention to IDW's TF comics and try to get more people picking up the series'. And so they should - they're quite good.

However, with Hasbro delaying wave after wave, pushing figures further back into 2014, this relevance to then current IDW comics will be lessened. Again, using Waspinator as an example, Issue #19 of RID was first released in July of 2013, and yet Waspinator (who suffered from a pitiful first release and subsequent delays in production) won't be seen again until possibly September, by which time the issue he comes with will be 14 months old!

If I were IDW, I'd be pretty darn annoyed with these delays. Sure, their comics will eventually get seen, but the pivotal timing is so far off and the opportunity is all but lost.

UltraMarginal
28th April 2014, 05:38 PM
Fair comment Verno, I'd imagine they're a little ticked off, but then again, surely they'll be producing movie related comics in the very near future.

reillyd
28th April 2014, 07:27 PM
Can anyone point me in the direction of scanlations for Japanese comics?
Just got the latest Generations book, with my infiltrator Starscream, and wanted to read his story. I thought the Allspark used to have this type of stuff, but their site is redesigned and I can't find it anymore. But I may be confusing it with another site perhaps?

Gouki
28th April 2014, 07:50 PM
So unfortunately. my ROTF Bludgeon Voyger finally broke his hand. Apparently this is kind of a common issue for the standard Hasbro release, but is this something that's common for the TakaraTomy version? I'm assuming it would be, but hopeful, because it's an awesome toy, but I'm not going to risk replacing it if this will happen again.

ILikeSoundwave
28th April 2014, 08:02 PM
^Happened to me a couple weeks back.

Iriorne
28th April 2014, 08:37 PM
Do you think IDW are peeved that Hasbro are delaying (what should be) the current Generations lines?

This little pause in TF offerings (between the end of TF: Prime and the release of Movie 4) was clearly originally designed to be IDW's time to shine. Every Deluxe Generations figure slated to be released this year was to come packaged with an IDW TF Comic, be it a Spotlight issue or an issue from RID or MTMTE. For example, Waspinator comes with Issue #19 of RID. It was an obvious ploy to bring more attention to IDW's TF comics and try to get more people picking up the series'. And so they should - they're quite good.

However, with Hasbro delaying wave after wave, pushing figures further back into 2014, this relevance to then current IDW comics will be lessened. Again, using Waspinator as an example, Issue #19 of RID was first released in July of 2013, and yet Waspinator (who suffered from a pitiful first release and subsequent delays in production) won't be seen again until possibly September, by which time the issue he comes with will be 14 months old!

If I were IDW, I'd be pretty darn annoyed with these delays. Sure, their comics will eventually get seen, but the pivotal timing is so far off and the opportunity is all but lost.

Perhaps, though I assume IDW's business model revolves around selling comics outright so the pack-ins are probably not a major revenue stream. Ultimately, as you say, the comics are for cross promotion. They serve as an introduction for new readers to the IDW fiction, in which case does it matter if the stories are old? New readers (and perhaps children in particular - the prime market for the toys no matter what we may think :p) won't know or care and there's more material available for them to purchase if they enjoy it.

I believe it was mainly the Dark Prelude and Dark Cybertron issues being packed in so they should stand fairly well on their own, even if you only get the comics through the toy pack-ins. :)

DELTAprime
30th April 2014, 11:11 AM
Since the AOE toys are supposed to be a little over 2 weeks way I'm wondering if anyone knows if we are getting the AOE Generations line in Australia or will I have to order from overseas again for Hasbro's figures?

Sky Shadow
30th April 2014, 03:09 PM

No.

griffin
30th April 2014, 05:39 PM
So unfortunately. my ROTF Bludgeon Voyger finally broke his hand. Apparently this is kind of a common issue for the standard Hasbro release, but is this something that's common for the TakaraTomy version? I'm assuming it would be, but hopeful, because it's an awesome toy, but I'm not going to risk replacing it if this will happen again.

As soon as you can after you get the toy out of packaging, roll up some sandpaper and make the fists wider on Bludgeon, Banzai-Tron and BotCon Overlord.
I did it with mine (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=166936#post166936), and would suggest it with any figure that has a tight fitting accessory in a small hand/fingers. It is better to go too far and use something to make a loose gun stay in a fist-hole, than break the gun-post or fist for not being loose enough.
Others I can think of, off the top of my head are some of the Euro Gen1 figures, Spychangers, Sth American Radio AM Robot.

DELTAprime
30th April 2014, 05:40 PM

The guys on the Seibertron podcast look at the sales numbers for comics in the US. According to them IDW's Transformersverse has always been a very small seller. A new issue will sell 1500 - 1750 copies at absolute best. I have no idea how many copies a comic has to sell to be profitable but at maximum 1750 copies it can't be making them much if any money.

This is just wild speculation on my part but I think Hasbro must be paying IDW at this point to make them for the toys and whatever they get in sales before then is just extra cash in IDW's pocket.

Verno
30th April 2014, 07:16 PM
The guys on the Seibertron podcast look at the sales numbers for comics in the US. According to them IDW's Transformersverse has always been a very small seller. A new issue will sell 1500 - 1750 copies at absolute best. I have no idea how many copies a comic has to sell to be profitable but at maximum 1750 copies it can't be making them much if any money.

This is just wild speculation on my part but I think Hasbro must be paying IDW at this point to make them for the toys and whatever they get in sales before then is just extra cash in IDW's pocket.

This is why I think it's such a missed opportunity for IDW. We're in the new jump-on point for the IDW TF Universe right now, with Season 2 of RID and MTMTE kicking off, as well as the Windblade mini, but all is for naught if new readers aren't attracted because the comics included with the cross-promotion toys are long out of date (and relevance) and said new readers would have to catch up on 5 or 6 issues in order to understand what's going on in the current run.

There's no doubt in my mind that Waspinator and Rattrap's inclusion in the IDW Comics was because Hasbro were producing toys for them. Hasbro creates these cross-promotions, but then it all falls apart when waves get delayed, which is sad for IDW, because they deserve a greater reader-base.

Sky Shadow
30th April 2014, 08:48 PM

That's not even close. In the US, More Than Meets Eye and Robots In Disguise each sell about 10,000 per month. Both ongoings are consistently two of IDW's top ten most profitable titles. Last month, MTMTE sold 9,552 copies, RiD 9,409 and the Dark Cybertron Finale 9,395, each at $3.99. Plus, Regeneration One sold 11,153 copies at $5.99 each, and the reprint of #1 sold 5,397 at $1 each. That was $185,344 spent on the cover price of Transformers comics in March, in the US. And that doesn't count digital downloads or trade paperback sales.

DELTAprime
30th April 2014, 08:59 PM
That's not even close. In the US, More Than Meets Eye and Robots In Disguise each sell about 10,000 per month. Both ongoings are consistently two of IDW's top ten most profitable titles. Last month, MTMTE sold 9,552 copies, RiD 9,409 and the Dark Cybertron Finale 9,395, each at $3.99. Plus, Regeneration One sold 11,153 copies at $5.99 each, and the reprint of #1 sold 5,397 at $1 each. That was $185,344 spent on the cover price of Transformers comics in March, in the US. And that doesn't count digital downloads or trade paperback sales.

Where do you find these numbers? I'd like to see them for myself and send in a correction to Seibertron.

griffin
30th April 2014, 09:04 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that Waspinator and Rattrap's inclusion in the IDW Comics was because Hasbro were producing toys for them. Hasbro creates these cross-promotions, but then it all falls apart when waves get delayed, which is sad for IDW, because they deserve a greater reader-base.

If certain characters are being introduced because of toys, rather than because it was the writer's intention to have the plot include them (to make sense of their out-of-place alt-modes), it is a pity... and a shame that Hasbro then prevents the publicity element of IDW introducing them to a story, that is primarily a Gen1 casted story.
(I don't have a problem with the IDW universe bringing in other eras, and would love a more inter-linked universe of series, but it has to make sense by being introduced like an upgrade or as a group, or a crossover to another dimension.)

griffin
30th April 2014, 09:14 PM
Where do you find these numbers? I'd like to see them for myself and send in a correction to Seibertron.

I go by this site in the past (http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html) for monthly sales numbers.

IDW sales are small in comparison to the three major companies, with very few comics ever breaking into the top 100 every month... and when they do, it usually isn't a Transformers comic.
Last month they got to #81 with a My Little Pony comic. And the next highest were - another MLP, then TMNT, then X-files, then GIJoe, THEN... Transformers at #168.
That means 167 other comic titles that a comic shop got in during March were more popular than Transformers... compared to being a #1 comic during Dreamwave.

So even if Seibertron's numbers are wrong, you could imagine that IDW would like to be one of the big boys in the industry with sales figures, and could have had some new readers from all those non-comic buyers reading 10s of thousands of comics with the toys.

Sky Shadow
30th April 2014, 09:24 PM

They're the official sales numbers. Here: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/28315.html or here: http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2014/2014-03.html

griffin
30th April 2014, 09:42 PM
Ah, we utilise the same resource. :)

Just having a flick back to Dreamwave's era... their top two titles selling about 140,000 copies each (http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2002/2002-07.html) in just one month, compared to IDW struggling to get 10% of that per title (somewhere around 10,000 with most TFs issues).
As bad as Dreamwave turned out, they certainly knew how to sell a comic, as the sales number of that first Gen1 series of theirs climbed and held, instead of dropping off from the first issue (as most do).

(the thing that bugs me though, is both DC and Marvel produced almost-free comics, that they had to sell at a huge loss, just to make sure Dreamwave's Transformers didn't enjoy boasting rights of #1 each month)

DELTAprime
30th April 2014, 11:19 PM
Cool, I think someone at Seibertron needs some glasses. One last thing, are these numbers just print comic sales or do they include Comixology?

griffin
1st May 2014, 02:26 AM
They are the sales from Diamond distribution to comic stores (the exclusive middleman between comic companies and comic shops)... so just the printed version.
There are likely to be stats out there for the digital downloads, or maybe ask IDW what their sale proportions are between print and digital.

Verno
1st May 2014, 09:11 AM
So it sounds like the millions of new fans introduced to the fandom by the Movies isn't translating into new fans of the comics -- which is ironic given then quality of storytelling in each...

Again, this is why I think IDW would be at least a little miffed that the toys featuring in-package issues have been delayed. Opportunities like this only come along once in a while (a decade?) to promote their main TF comic story on such a stage. It's not like they haven't been toeing the line with other work either. They've produced Movie-tie-ins, TF: Prime and Beast Hunters tie-ins, but have been slightly screwed over now I feel.

It also surprised me that there was initially talk that IDW wouldn't be producing Movie-tie-in comics for TF4. I believe it's now been confirmed that they will. It seems the logical bridging point to get new fans reading comics in the first place.

But then again, maybe fans just don't want to read comics. They've been given every opportunity to jump on board via tie-ins in the past.

If certain characters are being introduced because of toys, rather than because it was the writer's intention to have the plot include them (to make sense of their out-of-place alt-modes), it is a pity... and a shame that Hasbro then prevents the publicity element of IDW introducing them to a story, that is primarily a Gen1 casted story.
(I don't have a problem with the IDW universe bringing in other eras, and would love a more inter-linked universe of series, but it has to make sense by being introduced like an upgrade or as a group, or a crossover to another dimension.)

I'm only speculating there, Griff, but as I'm constantly reminded -- Hasbro exists to sell toys, not make fans happy -- it seems only logical that Hasbro would have had a word with IDW about their inclusion. Otherwise it means it's just the biggest coincidence in TF HISTORY!

GoktimusPrime
1st May 2014, 09:45 AM
So it sounds like the millions of new fans introduced to the fandom by the Movies isn't translating into new fans of the comics -- which is ironic given then quality of storytelling in each...
Perhaps fans of the films aren't too fussed about storytelling quality. Maybe IDW could attract more of those fans if they included more massive explosions, US army action, crude humour and shamelessly gratitious shots of girls. :p

Verno
1st May 2014, 10:17 AM
Perhaps fans of the films aren't too fussed about storytelling quality. Maybe IDW could attract more of those fans if they included more massive explosions, US army action, crude humour and shamelessly gratitious shots of girls. :p

I assumed that's what the Movie-tie-in comics were...

Paulbot
1st May 2014, 10:22 AM
It would help if the movie comics were good... but they are mostly not good stories and have some really ugly art.

UltraMarginal
1st May 2014, 10:45 AM
Ah, we utilise the same resource. :)

Just having a flick back to Dreamwave's era... their top two titles selling about 140,000 copies each (http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2002/2002-07.html) in just one month, compared to IDW struggling to get 10% of that per title (somewhere around 10,000 with most TFs issues).
As bad as Dreamwave turned out, they certainly knew how to sell a comic, as the sales number of that first Gen1 series of theirs climbed and held, instead of dropping off from the first issue (as most do).

(the thing that bugs me though, is both DC and Marvel produced almost-free comics, that they had to sell at a huge loss, just to make sure Dreamwave's Transformers didn't enjoy boasting rights of #1 each month)

I put down some, not all of Dreamwaves transformers popularity at the time to massive kneejerk reaction to there being new G1 media. I never realised there were even Transformers Comics till I saw a late G2 comic in a store maybe 97 or 98. I didn't realise DW was doing new comics till I saw one of the small digest ones in a supermarket. After that I went out of my way to hunt down DW Transformers comics. It was the first G1 Media in for ages for me and I soaked it up.

I really liked the art style, it was clean and crisp, something you don't always get with IDW. Although the IDW art has much better proportions. Now that we've had Comics of Transformers for over a decade straight the honeymoon period is over and to sell really well they need to be a very popular product.

I assumed that's what the Movie-tie-in comics were...

They weren't too bad, they often filled in a lot of story, character and plot holes left out of the films. :rolleyes:

It would help if the movie comics were good... but they are mostly not good stories and have some really ugly art.

Unfortunately for the artists, they were trying to draw in a reasonable time frame the super ridiculously complex characters from the film, in my mind the greatest downfall of the movie tie in comics.

griffin
1st May 2014, 02:08 PM
The movie comics actually made the movies make sense... so it is a pity that there were no epilogue/sequel comics from TF3, and not prequel comic for TF4 (and no indication of an adaptation comic either).

But ultimately it comes down to the sales numbers, and the Movie comics didn't do too well...

The first movie adaptation did well in June 2007, with all four issues being in IDW's top 5 for that month, coming in at #109-123, at 18,000 to 16,000 units.

The sequel to the first movie did okay as well, with the middle issue in July 2008 being the fourth best IDW title at #157 with 13,000 units sold to comic shops.

The Defiance prequel to the second movie in March 2009 was now down to 10,000 units at #150 & #151, with 9 other IDW comics doing better that month.
The Alliance prequel was even worse at 9,000 units at #159.

For the second movie, in July 2009 the movie adaptation was #172 at about 10,000 units, with 9 other IDW comics doing better (including AHM).
The epilogue comic for TF2 in September, came in at #174 at 11,000 units, with 7 other IDW comics doing better.

The TF2 sequel/epilogue in March 2010 was now down to less than 9,000 units at #191, with 7 other IDW titles doing better (including several GIJoe comics, which is supposed to have a smaller fandom with less toy sales and fanclub/convention attendees).

TF3 had two prequels as well, dropping down to 6,000 units each in March 2011 and sitting at #259 and #268... barely making it into the top 300 list. By the end of their mini-series, they were down to about 5,000 units each, and almost 20 other IDW titles were doing better.

The first three issues of the TF3 adaptation in June 2011 were staying down (like a Coles commercial) at about 5,500 units each, at #270-280, with 16 IDW titles doing better that month.

My thinking is that on Transformers Movies, the trend suggests that it isn't worth doing by IDW at all anymore. They have a small, limited number of staff, who can get better return on their investment by doing something else instead... no matter what it is.

I also think that people probably avoided the comic, assuming that it would make as little sense as the movies... but if IDW marketed their comic adaptation as "making sense of the theatrical movies", they might get more interest (like people who go out and buy the book of a movie after they see it). But then, Hasbro and Paramount would probably prevent IDW from promoting that, as it would impact on their much-bigger revenue earners.
Which is going to get priority, the multi-billion dollar movie franchise, the multi-million dollar toy franchise, or the multi-thousand dollar comic series.

autobreadticon
1st May 2014, 07:28 PM
this is probarly a long shot but does any1 have the MOSC Takara masterforce vintage God Ginrai gold braces, just wondering if there is some gold wear on the small gold metal piece that comes with it even though its sealed. From alot of photos I have seen wear but some dont seem to be affected.

BruiseLee
1st May 2014, 09:21 PM

I think you just described just about every single comic published in the early to lateish 90s... :p

GoktimusPrime
1st May 2014, 09:24 PM
90s Transformers comics never did though (except perhaps for G2 Starscream's weird tongue thing... eerrk) ;)

i_amtrunks
1st May 2014, 10:02 PM
Trying to convert the movie aesthetic to comics also did not work as well, even though the artists (milne etc) did as best they could with the source material.

The movie comics were not terrible, but as the movies got worse, the stories became more rooted in the history of humans dealing with the hiding of Megatron and other such things, while somewhat interesting to read and doing a wonderful job of piecing the awful movie writing into a more cohesive, understandable universe were not "must read".

I fully understand IDW not continuing with the movie comics, with all the movie adaptations in books, games etc, comics are an unnecessary addition.

Verno
1st May 2014, 11:44 PM
From an email response from BBTS:

We unfortunately were not provided with any further specific details, but only that there would be delays. These issues tend to be common at times and when they do happen we are at the mercy of the manufacturer until they decide to release the figures again.
So it seems Hasbro don't even need to supply a reason to the retailers why there's a delay...

Sinnertwin
2nd May 2014, 11:00 AM
Looks like its a September release for Skid, Waspinator, Goldbug & Dreadwing, Verno.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=2339&category=6564

Verno
2nd May 2014, 11:09 AM
Looks like its a September release for Skid, Waspinator, Goldbug & Dreadwing, Verno.

Yes, I got an email from BBTS advising me they'd be re-released in September. Interestingly, the email mentioned manufacturing delays, which seems to fly in the face of the Hasbro apologists' assertions that delays were being caused by retailers not wanting to stock the Generations lines... The fault seems to be with Hasbro themselves.

Megatran
2nd May 2014, 11:09 AM
Why is the Collector's Edition series so much more expensive than say Encore or Commemorative series for (virtually) the same toy? I can understand the Ehobby Collector's Edition colour redeco being more expensive.

Sinnertwin
2nd May 2014, 11:19 AM
Why is the Collector's Edition series so much more expensive than say Encore or Commemorative series for (virtually) the same toy? I can understand the Ehobby Collector's Edition colour redeco being more expensive.

When, Where & Why...

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Collector's_Edition

GoktimusPrime
2nd May 2014, 01:29 PM
Their original prices aren't that expensive. e.g. Collector's Edition Ironhide & Ratchet was 6000JPY ($63), which makes it about $31.50 per figure. But as Sinnertwin's link explains, they are limited exclusive toys, so it's not surprising if the aftermarket prices for them would be higher than other reissues.

griffin
2nd May 2014, 03:01 PM
Apparently most were limited to 1000 units of each (http://www.soundwavesoblivion.com/reissuestandard.html), making them rarer than FunPub BotCon toys (and much more desirable :p ).

Mythirax
2nd May 2014, 05:13 PM

I got so excited, till I saw the release date...

Kapryiath
2nd May 2014, 09:12 PM
why did they stop using light piping? i think its one of the coolest features.
only thing missing from my masterpiece figures is light up eyes

griffin
2nd May 2014, 11:01 PM
Light piping is an expense that gets them little reward... Who buys a toy because it has light piping?
And how many don't even know it is there or cares if it has it?
It was a nice gimmick when it first came out, but how do you make use of it?
On probably one toy in six months the light will catch it and I'll have a one second moment of, wow that's interesting... but then the moment passes quickly, and I never look at that toy's gimmick again.
If the light piping could pay for three more paint apps, that everyone can see and benefit from, I'd say ditch the light piping.

Sky Shadow
2nd May 2014, 11:49 PM
why did they stop using light piping?

'They' didn't? It's just not used on every Transformer.

It was a nice gimmick when it first came out, but how do you make use of it?

I loved it when I bought my first toy with light piping (Talon, in 1992). I'd fly him around the sunlit room and tap his head to pretend he was blinking.

GoktimusPrime
3rd May 2014, 08:38 PM
I cannot complete the last stage of transforming Age of Extinction Deluxe Crosshairs. Whenever I place the lower door panels into position, the rear side parts pop out and vice versa. I think it's the big rubber panels that's getting in the way, but I can't seem to find a way to make them fit. :( Instructions have been useless and I've watched video reviews which haven't helped either. It really doesn't help when every video reviewer is transforming the toy from car to robot, even though it's packaged in robot mode. This toy is so frustrating, it's making toys like Big Convoy, BT Grimlock and MP Megatron look good. :mad:

Could someone please advise me on how to transform this toy? :(

I loved it when I bought my first toy with light piping (Talon, in 1992). I'd fly him around the sunlit room and tap his head to pretend he was blinking.
I still do this. :D Also when making the Transformer seem to be "powering down" (or up). ;)

GoktimusPrime
3rd May 2014, 08:40 PM
I cannot complete the last stage of transforming Age of Extinction Deluxe Crosshairs. Whenever I place the lower door panels into position, the rear side parts pop out and vice versa. I think it's the big rubber panels that's getting in the way, but I can't seem to find a way to make them fit. :( Instructions have been useless and I've watched video reviews which haven't helped either. It really doesn't help when every video reviewer is transforming the toy from car to robot, even though it's packaged in robot mode.

This toy is so frustrating, it's making toys like Big Convoy, BT Grimlock and MP Megatron look good. :mad: On the plus side, it does seem to be a robust toy, considering that it's survived being thrown to the floor and repeatedly hit in frustration. :rolleyes: :p

I still do this. :D Also when making the Transformer seem to be "powering down" (or up). ;)

Sinnertwin
3rd May 2014, 10:12 PM
Were you able to work it out, Goki?

GoktimusPrime
3rd May 2014, 10:37 PM
Nope. :(

P.S.: On the plus side, my figure is pretty good in robot mode. i.e. doesn't have some issues reported on some other people's figures, e.g. tabs on rubber parts being difficult to insert, windscreen being really hard to dislocate (and making a loud snapping sound as if it's going to break). The tabs on mine fit like a glove and the windscreen bends with no issue.

Paulbot
4th May 2014, 11:04 AM
How much are AOE Generations Deluxes at Target?

ILikeSoundwave
4th May 2014, 12:56 PM
$30

Paulbot
4th May 2014, 01:03 PM
$30

Trent
4th May 2014, 10:35 PM
For those that have FansProject Menasor, do any of you know where I can get that non-slip tape stuff that is on the soles of his feet? I want it for my other combiners but can't find it anywhere. I've check the local rubber shops and had a decent look online but can't find anything thin enough.

Kapryiath
5th May 2014, 09:11 AM
there's non slip stuff on his feet? *gets up to check feet*
oh wow so there is , i'd never noticed it before, no idea where you'd find some though

Sinnertwin
5th May 2014, 09:35 AM
How thin would you prefer the tape, Trent? +/- 1.5mm?

UltraMarginal
5th May 2014, 10:41 AM
why did they stop using light piping? i think its one of the coolest features.
only thing missing from my masterpiece figures is light up eyes

They haven't stopped using light piping as SkyShadow mentioned, it's pretty common, it's use is either a budget decision, or maybe a design decision.
I personally think some figures look better without it and there are times when having a big clear back of the head makes it look like their brain module is exposed. :eek:
Other figures of course really do benefit from it. It works much better on display cabinets that have some sort of side or back lighting.

For those that have FansProject Menasor, do any of you know where I can get that non-slip tape stuff that is on the soles of his feet? I want it for my other combiners but can't find it anywhere. I've check the local rubber shops and had a decent look online but can't find anything thin enough.

have you considered a hobby shop, perhaps hobbyco or that art supplies shop that is in a lot of shopping centres. I'm not sure what the material on not menasaurs feet is but perhaps even a fine grit sandpaper would work.

Trent
5th May 2014, 03:03 PM
How thin would you prefer the tape, Trent? +/- 1.5mm?

Too thick dude. The stuff on his feet would be less than 1mm. Closer to ~.75mm

have you considered a hobby shop, perhaps hobbyco or that art supplies shop that is in a lot of shopping centres. I'm not sure what the material on not menasaurs feet is but perhaps even a fine grit sandpaper would work.

Good idea, I'll check hobby shops. But I don't think that sandpaper would work well on my glass shelves ;)

Kapryiath
5th May 2014, 06:23 PM
ah fair enough i havn't actually bought any of the newer toys besides mp's in forever ( well over a year since i've picked something up from a shop) so i guess my question was more aimed towards them , i just find sometimes that there faces look very shadowed compared to the rest of the figures for some reason :S

perhaps i need to add some floor lighting to my shelves :S

gamblor916
5th May 2014, 07:59 PM

The only stuff that comes to mind is linked below about halfway down the page. You can email to order and pay with paypal. Using english to email is ok.

www.motomodeling.com/SHOP/Max_original/index.html
order@motomodeling.com

5FDP
6th May 2014, 09:57 AM
With all the MP Grimlock reissues, is there anything unique i.e. stamping, that identifies the production run?

UltraMarginal
6th May 2014, 10:04 AM
Good idea, I'll check hobby shops. But I don't think that sandpaper would work well on my glass shelves ;)

Probably not, keep in mind that it's just sitting there, you're figures aren't doing the running man (at least while you're looking:D), but I think it would work a lot better on wood.
Hobby shops have a lot of thin micro fine materials for environment building that you might be able to repurpose. maybe

davieanix
6th May 2014, 11:12 PM
What are some figures that have the "Bludgeon effect"? Where the toy becomes high demand after the fact because of popular fiction?

Obviously Bludgeon. Razorbeast from Beast Wars. G1 Ironfist is one I just found out about too.

Any others?

GoktimusPrime
7th May 2014, 12:30 AM
I don't know if I'd put Bludgeon in the same league as Ironfist and Razorbeast, as he was already a prominent character in G1 while the toy was still current. Furman loved taking lesser known current toys and using them in his stories (e.g. Wreckers)... part of the reason was to avoid conflicting w/ Budiansky's stories. Razorbeast and Ironfist on the other hand are toys that become popular years/decades after the toys came out and sorta retrospectively became more popular.

Anyway, others may include Rotorstorm and Pyro. Sunstorm also became popular some time after the eHobby toy came out. Arguably Acid Storm too -- the original Deluxe figure was a massive peg warmer, but the MP seemed to have sold out quickly.

SuspectimusPrime
7th May 2014, 09:29 AM
What are some figures that have the "Bludgeon effect"? Where the toy becomes high demand after the fact because of popular fiction?

Obviously Bludgeon. Razorbeast from Beast Wars. G1 Ironfist is one I just found out about too.

Any others?

I'd put G1 Krok up there with Bludgeon. I don't collect G1 at all, but damn did I wanted a G1 Krok after reading the 80's run of comics!!!

Anyway, others may include Rotorstorm and Pyro. Sunstorm also became popular some time after the eHobby toy came out. Arguably Acid Storm too -- the original Deluxe figure was a massive peg warmer, but the MP seemed to have sold out quickly.

That seemed like a riskier move on Hasbro's part, but I suppose most Seeker-moulds end up being such a viable cash-cow for them to milk from after the nth repurposing.

Sky Shadow
7th May 2014, 09:44 AM

Any others?

I'm not sure that's an easy question anymore, since almost every single G1 character who gets 'featured' in comics today hasn't been on the shelf for a couple of decades. E.g. Brainstorm, Rotorstorm, Overlord, Krok, Misfire, Guzzle, etc. So it can be hard to determine how much is the vintage factor and how much is the character's popularity in fiction. If you want to call it the 'Bludgeon Effect' then Thunderwing and Nightbeat would be in the same boat.

5FDP
7th May 2014, 09:47 AM
^ You could add G1 Ratbat to that list as well. About 10 years ago he was selling for $80-$100 US. The price has obviously come down since with the release of the Encore and KO.

GoktimusPrime
7th May 2014, 10:59 AM
That seemed like a riskier move on Hasbro's part, but I suppose most Seeker-moulds end up being such a viable cash-cow for them to milk from after the nth repurposing.
;) Yup, the joys of redecos. A relatively inexpensive way to make money out of a mould that's already in existence. :D But I don't mind this at all as redecos do help to keep the cost of toys down in general; just so long as the redecos are thoughtfully done. Repainting Starscream as other Seekers is cool -- retooling/repainting Prowl as Bluestreak and Smokescreen also works etc. What I don't like are the 'meaningless' or random repaints. :rolleyes:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/meme_bumblebeeeverywhere_zpsc18fac77.jpg

griffin
7th May 2014, 05:36 PM
I would imagine the "Bludgeon effect" would more relate to toys that don't have an important function/rank/bio gets given centre-stage treatment... similar to toys that have leadership functions, or, just big massive toys that Hasbro demands comics & cartoons to feature, just to sell the potential loss-inducing shelfwarmer.

That particular definition will help narrow down a list of candidates, that at the time of their toy's release, would have been an unlikely choice of playing centre-stage in the comics & cartoons, based on the toy's bio or size.
The first season of the cartoon allowed for a fair bit of character-centred episodes, but in general we had, 1984 Bumblebee used a fair bit in the comic and cartoon... for someone who was just a minibot and a function of espionage.
Blaster got a fair bit of attention, but was a large toy, so doesn't count.
Wheelie was featured in the 1986 movie, and in the JP Headmasters series, but was just a minibot, so does count.
Ratbat got a lot of attention in the comics as a leader, despite being just a cheap cassette, and a function of fuel scout and rank of 6... so counts.
Bludgeon was a Furman favourite, and a leader for most of his comic life, but was just a small-scale pretender, with a function of Electric Warrior and rank of 6.
Beast Wars Rattrap & Terrorsaur - the BW cartoon had a limited cast because of the huge cost at that time for a fully CGI cartoon, so it was odd to have it promoting two of the cheapest toys, when there were other more expensive toys that should have been prioritised (Polar Claw & Buzzsaw). The cost and (spring-loaded) gimmick of the Basics would have sold themselves, so why include those two?
Airrazor was a Basic too, but would have been included because it was the only flying Maximal toy, which opened up more story potential... but Rattrap and Terrorsaur would never have been popular toys if it weren't for the cartoon, because they weren't anything special.
From the Transmetals, Fuzors & Transmetal 2 years, almost every large-size toy was included in the Beast Wars cartoon. Quickstrike was the only other Basic included, but possibly because it was the best looking Predacon Fuzor, to help sell Fuzor toys.
In Beast Machines, the toys that were Voyager or larger were all in the Cartoon, and the few Basics in the cartoon had larger toy versions released.... which essentially followed on in every toyline after that (small cheaper options of large in-show toys).
Yellow characters seem to be a popular choice in TFs cartoons, most likely for standing out visually, to stick in the minds of the kids and sell the line through association.

Cult figures exist as well, like Dispensor, Erector, Cannonball... but as noted by others, they are usually after the toyline is over, and the characters spawn future homages based on their cult-fan status.

What other small, insignificant toys were given star status in cartoons and comics, to prompt people here to buy them... toys that would otherwise be ignored if it wasn't for their significant role?

Sky Shadow
7th May 2014, 10:33 PM
Also Carnivac, Swoop, Ratchet, Skids, Whirl, Swindle, Kup, and almost all of the 1985-86 Triple-Changers.

BigTransformerTrev
8th May 2014, 01:35 PM
Can anyone either:

A: Provide info on the best places to find TF figures in Bendigo (have been keeping an eye on the VIC sightings thread but seen naught)?

or

B: Provide info on which stores chains are most likely to have the AoE or new Bot Shots in? I believe Bendigo has a Big W, Target, Toyworld, K-Mart and Myers

Thanks kindly, Trev :)

Paulbot
8th May 2014, 03:03 PM
Kmart in Vic is best spot for AOE followed by Target. Only simple toys at Big W. Not aware of any very active members in Bendigo and it's too far for most Melb members to have happened to be there.

Tetsuwan Convoy
8th May 2014, 05:23 PM

Any others?

Surprised no one has mentioned Overlord. Sure he wasn't super cheap to start with, but his price definitely jumped up a lot after Last Stand of the Wreckers. Had I known, I would've been happy forking out a couple hundred on the guy...

BigTransformerTrev
8th May 2014, 05:34 PM
Kmart in Vic is best spot for AOE followed by Target. Only simple toys at Big W. Not aware of any very active members in Bendigo and it's too far for most Melb members to have happened to be there.

Cheers Paulbot - will check it out on our daytrip on Sat. :)

I hear tell that a G1 coloured Slag is going to be released in the next wave. Is that true? :confused: If so might save my bucks and get that one instead of the purple one if I come across it on the weekend.

Surprised no one has mentioned Overlord. Sure he wasn't super cheap to start with, but his price definitely jumped up a lot after Last Stand of the Wreckers. Had I known, I would've been happy forking out a couple hundred on the guy...

Yeah, he costs way more than that now! Wish I had found one before as I'll prob never afford him now :rolleyes:

Paulbot
8th May 2014, 05:55 PM
Overlord was expensive, $400+ before LSOTW.

Cheers Paulbot - will check it out on our daytrip on Sat. :)

I hear tell that a G1 coloured Slag is going to be released in the next wave. Is that true? :confused: If so might save my bucks and get that one instead of the purple one if I come across it on the weekend.

No. There's a Japanese exclusive of a Slug in G1 Dinobot colours but no indication there will be a Hasbro version. I'd guess there'll be a "platnium/thrilling 30" box set release of the Dinobots by Hasbro in G1 colours but it's a guess.

There's also the Then and Now pack, where you get Slug (same purple colours) with a Minicon Slug (in G1 colours) - the Minicon Triceratops toy from 2006 classics line. Reports are the two pack is a TRU exclusive and will be $25 so cheaper than Slug on his own.

BigTransformerTrev
8th May 2014, 06:17 PM

No. There's a Japanese exclusive of a Slug in G1 Dinobot colours but no indication there will be a Hasbro version. I'd guess there'll be a "platnium/thrilling 30" box set release of the Dinobots by Hasbro in G1 colours but it's a guess.

There's also the Then and Now pack, where you get Slug (same purple colours) with a Minicon Slug (in G1 colours) - the Minicon Triceratops toy from 2006 classics line. Reports are the two pack is a TRU exclusive and will be $25 so cheaper than Slug on his own.

Ah - I think it may have been the Minicon Slug I had heard rumors of - cheers again mate! :)

GoktimusPrime
8th May 2014, 11:21 PM
*bump* Help please.

I cannot complete the last stage of transforming Age of Extinction Deluxe Crosshairs. Whenever I place the lower door panels into position, the rear side parts pop out and vice versa. I think it's the big rubber panels that's getting in the way, but I can't seem to find a way to make them fit. :( Instructions have been useless and I've watched video reviews which haven't helped either. It really doesn't help when every video reviewer is transforming the toy from car to robot, even though it's packaged in robot mode. This toy is so frustrating, it's making toys like Big Convoy, BT Grimlock and MP Megatron look good. :mad:

Could someone please advise me on how to transform this toy? :(

spiderken17
9th May 2014, 09:09 AM
has there been any talk of doing MP Skywarp with the MP-11 mould? I don't mind the differences too much between the MP-3 mould, his tail "skirt" looks a little off as do his shoulders but its the balance of it that is poor. He is nowhere near as poseable as the others and always falls backwards.
Sorry if I'm a little late with this but I only just got my MP seekers.

Sinnertwin
9th May 2014, 09:21 AM
I haven't heard anything about it officially yet

UltraMarginal
9th May 2014, 09:28 AM
*bump* Help please.

all I can suggest is trying it again and making sure you're in good light so you can see everything, I don't have any AOE figures yet myself.

Tober
9th May 2014, 09:29 AM
Hasbro's MP Skywarp reportably went on clearance for $10 in the US. I doubt he will get the MP treatment from them again.

Takara love mold milking so we might yet see him with the MP-11 tweaks. Kinda surprised we haven't yet actually...

Tetsuwan Convoy
9th May 2014, 04:03 PM

Yeah, but he has gone up to average $1000 now. Thats a min 100% increase.

Paulbot
9th May 2014, 04:10 PM
Wow, had no idea he was selling for that much more now. And to think mine got sent to me in a shoe box...

Bidoofdude
9th May 2014, 05:35 PM
;) Yup, the joys of redecos. A relatively inexpensive way to make money out of a mould that's already in existence. :D But I don't mind this at all as redecos do help to keep the cost of toys down in general; just so long as the redecos are thoughtfully done. Repainting Starscream as other Seekers is cool -- retooling/repainting Prowl as Bluestreak and Smokescreen also works etc. What I don't like are the 'meaningless' or random repaints. :rolleyes:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/meme_bumblebeeeverywhere_zpsc18fac77.jpg

MP-11 Skywarp. I don't care who does it, I just want it on the new mould. :D

Nevac
12th May 2014, 07:29 PM
MP-11 Skywarp. I don't care who does it, I just want it on the new mould. :D

Yes I so want it myself and Thundercracker from Takara with MP11 enhancements. I'm not a fan of Hasbro's one they put the insignias upside down.

DELTAprime
12th May 2014, 07:46 PM
Anyone know a site where I can still order the AD-01 and AD-02 Optimus' from? I was hoping HLJ would reopen orders but they haven't done that so far.

Sinnertwin
12th May 2014, 08:47 PM
I'm not a fan of Hasbro's one they put the insignias upside down.

You might want to check your avatar :p ;)

Sky Shadow
12th May 2014, 10:33 PM

Bwahahaha. Ha. :cool:

GoktimusPrime
12th May 2014, 10:48 PM
Ba-zinga! :D

autobreadticon
12th May 2014, 11:45 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRANSFORMERS-HI-FI-FRENZY-ROBOT-MICROS-CEPPI-RATTI-MOC-/380354818103?pt=Robot&hash=item588ee9f037&_uhb=1

whats up with these? KOs?