PDA

View Full Version : Tiby on ABC's Collectors - 3rd April, 8pm.

Paulbot
23rd March 2009, 06:45 PM
I saw the write up for next week's (April 3) episode of Collectors in the TV Week:

and meet a man with 1627 transformer [sic] toys

8pm Friday.

:)

Lord_Zed
23rd March 2009, 06:48 PM
Er so when is it on then?

Paulbot
23rd March 2009, 06:50 PM
Friday 3 April, 8pm ABC1

Gutsman Heavy
23rd March 2009, 07:39 PM
oh I gotta remember to watch this!

Tiby
23rd March 2009, 08:21 PM
I saw the write up for next week's Collectors in the TV Week:

Ah, come on! That was nearly 200 toys ago!!!!

iceburn
24th March 2009, 12:47 AM
can someone in Melbourne plz record for me!!!!
i'm gonna miss it!

sifun
24th March 2009, 07:07 AM
me too...

1orion2many
24th March 2009, 07:59 AM
:)Change your plans so you can watch Tiby:D, I will be watching:cool::D

jaydisc
24th March 2009, 09:09 AM
Everything on the ABC is typically downloadable (granted you're accessing it from an Australian IP address). Here is the show list for Collectors. They are usually updated the day after airing.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/video/download.htm

GoktimusPrime
28th March 2009, 04:03 PM
I saw the end of last night's ep and they spoke about showing a Transformers collection next week. I squealed like a schoolgirl pointing at the TV with much excitement and yelled at my wife to come watch... but it was only on for a few seconds and by time she got to the lounge room it was gone. I was like, "you missed seeing Tiby's toys!" and her expression was like, "So what?" :D ;)

It was like that scene in the South Park episode "Make Love, Not Warcraft":
Randy: "Sharon, his character is going to die if we don't get to him!"
Sharon: "So what?"
The three men: "SO WHAT?!"

:D

Don't worry Tiby, I'm genuinely excited. I'd tape it if not for the fact that my TV reception is absolutely horrific. :( Bah, I'll tape it anyway. d:

kup
28th March 2009, 06:58 PM
I heard Tiby's voice during the credits on the last episode! Can't wait to see it next week.

Tiby
28th March 2009, 07:55 PM
I heard Tiby's voice during the credits on the last episode! Can't wait to see it next week.

Damn it! I tried to record it but my stupid computer crashed (not the Mac, the old Windows one of course!)

PS - for all you Perthians, I will be on 92.9FM tomorrow with a radio interview I did the other night...

griffin
28th March 2009, 08:55 PM
Pity the ABC downloads are only of the segments, not the whole episode, otherwise you could see the 'next week's' bit on the download page.

Never mind. They already have you written up for the next episode Tiby. :)

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/segments/coming_up.htm

Episode 7, Friday 3 April
Tonight’s episode of COLLECTORS is truly eclectic.

We start with Tibor Csapo’s massive collection of transformers. In almost 25 years he has amassed 1627 of them, costing him more than $100,000 in the process, and changing NSW law at the same time. The Masterpiece Megatron was illegal in that state because it morphs into an automatic pistol. Tibor patiently worked with the police and customs, and it’s now legal.
(snipped unimportant bits)
COLLECTORS 8pm Friday, ABC1 … don’t miss it!
Repeated on ABC2 6.05pm the following Monday.

Tiby
28th March 2009, 09:01 PM
Wow! I get to share with Bugattis!

Kyle
28th March 2009, 10:36 PM

+1. :)

Gutsman Heavy
28th March 2009, 11:48 PM
awesome, must watch!

liegeprime
29th March 2009, 08:35 AM
Ah there is still a chance coz it'll be shown on ABC2 on a Monday at 6:05 pm, which is my day off :D

autobreadticon
29th March 2009, 08:27 PM
sexy voice :o

turtle boy
29th March 2009, 11:47 PM
Got My HDD ready Tib, Going to record it aswell.

G1Optimal
30th March 2009, 01:04 AM
Thinks to self

"Must Remember this Friday 8pm on ABC , Must Remember this Friday 8pm on ABC , Must Remember this Friday 8pm on ABC"

SilverDragon
30th March 2009, 06:28 PM
Rest assured, Tiby, I will be watching you represent us on national television this Friday night.

I don't think I'll have geeked out this much since singing the Pokemon theme song in public last week.

Tiby
1st April 2009, 09:55 PM
I completed an interview today for ABC radio in Toowoomba, so you Queenslanders should hear me on Friday morning!

GoktimusPrime
1st April 2009, 10:24 PM
Should've organised a Toowoomba fan meet! Lynx Traveller is in Toowoomba. Assuming you had the time to spare of course. :p

So is there a chance for the rest of us to hear this interview?

Tiby
2nd April 2009, 06:45 AM
Not sure. I had one of them sent to me as a file, but the others have not. I will have to share the first interview somehow.

Wheel-J
3rd April 2009, 12:09 AM
The TV is all set for tonight. :D

Details from the program guide shows

Collectors: Transformers
8:00PM~8:33PM
Gordon visits a stunning Bugatti exhibition. Meet a man with 1627 transformers: and a father and son from WA, whose collection of 3000 carved mulga wood objects has left a true Australian legacy.

darockk
3rd April 2009, 09:31 AM
cool ill be watching this...

question: Do you wear a transformers t-shirt on the show?

GoktimusPrime
3rd April 2009, 09:58 AM
I've told some of my students - some of my year 9 and 11 boys are excited and said that they're gonna tune in. :)

The_Damned
3rd April 2009, 10:44 AM
finally it is on tonight been looking forward to it :)

i_amtrunks
3rd April 2009, 11:30 AM
finally it is on tonight been looking forward to it :)

Me too, I've got a dinner on at the in-laws, so I'm taping it (can't interrupt the NRL game!).

Tiby
3rd April 2009, 12:58 PM
cool ill be watching this...

question: Do you wear a transformers t-shirt on the show?

Of course! Including an extra special one! Stay tuned!

Kyle
3rd April 2009, 01:42 PM
Can someone please tape this digitially? I'm in the middle of moving house. Old house has had the internet cut and TV removed and I won't be at the new house until next week. Won't be able to watch this tonight after I leave office. :( (No internet in the weekend. Don't know how I'll survive... :(:o)

SGB
3rd April 2009, 02:09 PM
Of course! Including an extra special one! Stay tuned!
One that promotes OTCA, is it? :p

GoktimusPrime
3rd April 2009, 04:24 PM
Can someone please tape this digitially?
+1. My current home has really craptacular TV reception and isn't worth taping off. :(

sideswipes brother
3rd April 2009, 05:25 PM
I dont know why but im really looking forward to this. Must be the TF whore in me. I told my wife also and shes keen to watch it too. BUT, she absolutely galked at how many TF's you have. Apparently i have to keep my collection below a certain number to be allowed to keep buying them.:(

Tiby
3rd April 2009, 06:38 PM
Computer is ready to tape, or record, or capture, or whatever.

sideswipe brother, keep at it - she'll come round!

kup
3rd April 2009, 06:58 PM
The time is almost here!

jacksplatt11
3rd April 2009, 07:09 PM
Sick shirt Tiby

Borgeman
3rd April 2009, 07:12 PM
awesome stuff tiby :D :D :D :D

George

The_Damned
3rd April 2009, 07:13 PM
man you are such a geek!!!!!!;)

The_Damned
3rd April 2009, 07:14 PM
on a serious note your segment was way better then that guy last time.!!

kup
3rd April 2009, 07:14 PM
Awesome Tiby! That was great, you carried yourself really well on TV, like a pro.

GoktimusPrime
3rd April 2009, 07:18 PM
Woo! That was great! :D

I especially liked your talk about being a "Transformers Emancipator" (right on!) and "appreciating" your toys!

Free and play with 'em all!!! :)

G1Optimal
3rd April 2009, 07:21 PM
Just Saw It.....

and all i can say is Awesome. :cool::)

Tiby
3rd April 2009, 07:23 PM
you are all too kind!

Tiby
3rd April 2009, 07:25 PM
Griffin's fancy Headmasters made the cut! Yay!

kup
3rd April 2009, 07:28 PM
Griffin's fancy Headmasters made the cut! Yay!

Looks like your BT Hound was getting one of its front wheels changed!

Tiby
3rd April 2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah. That was the set dresser guy.... I tried to intervene, but it was 20 against 1!

Wheel-J
3rd April 2009, 07:38 PM
awesome collection! - really worthy to be on national tv! was also amazed on how you keep your room well secured. :eek: no cuts made in transforming soundwave, ey? it was just like 3secs and you're done. and love that illuminating shirt! :D

SilverDragon
3rd April 2009, 07:41 PM
Awesomesauce!

That flashing shirt was cool. Where'd you get it?

1AZRAEL1
3rd April 2009, 07:41 PM
Awesome shirt, where can I get one? (the one that lights up :p)

And fluffy duck that Mp Megs looks great, I want him :o

hotaru_oz
3rd April 2009, 07:42 PM
Just watched it my god that is one hell of a collection :)

The_Damned
3rd April 2009, 07:49 PM
for any1 that missed it here it is on the website :P

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/segments/s2534549.htm

loophole
3rd April 2009, 07:51 PM
way to represent yo (insert gangsta signs here)!!, they didnt show much of the other toys though but still very cool!!

Verno
3rd April 2009, 07:54 PM
Nice to see Snarl and Megs in there.

Great work there Tiby. Hope you enjoyed your brief stay in my State. :p

Tiby
3rd April 2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks again everyone. My friend got me that shirt (and a 'Con one) from online. I think LatestBuy or something like that may have it.

He has been very quiet about telling me where from :( I will try him again

iceburn
3rd April 2009, 08:05 PM
thanks thedamnED!

like the t-shirt tiby!! hmm, i feel that there was a few secs lost on the Armada Prime trailer without Prime.

Tiby
3rd April 2009, 08:07 PM
Nice to see Snarl and Megs in there.

Great work there Tiby. Hope you enjoyed your brief stay in my State. :p

Thanks, I did. I'd like to visit properly sometime

Tiby
3rd April 2009, 08:09 PM
Bear in mind that the camera crew do not know the significance of one item over the other, and neither do the editors, so they did ok in the circumstances

Tommy K
3rd April 2009, 08:10 PM
ah its good to see a fellow member show his collection to australia

gamblor916
3rd April 2009, 08:11 PM
Nice collection (and shirt too!). I wished they would have spent more time discussing the on set toys.

Defcon
3rd April 2009, 08:42 PM
well done !

Verno
3rd April 2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks, I did. I'd like to visit properly sometime

Well you're more than Welcome. As you no doubt noticed, all the rumours are just vicious lies :p

SentinelPrime
3rd April 2009, 09:00 PM
Congrats Tiby! Excellent explanation on why we do, what we do!

But wheres the Ozformers hook? shout-out? logo even? :D:D:D

Tiby
3rd April 2009, 09:19 PM
Congrats Tiby! Excellent explanation on why we do, what we do!

But wheres the Ozformers hook? shout-out? logo even? :D:D:D

I tried... I had the logo up large on one of my monitors in the room, but alas they edited...

Paulbot
3rd April 2009, 09:47 PM
Well done. :)

I don't quite get how Doctor Who and James Bond are Transformer-like though... what was he talking about? :p

Tiby
3rd April 2009, 09:53 PM

I don't quite get how Doctor Who and James Bond are Transformer-like though... what was he talking about? :p

Yeah, not sure about that. I think it is the sci-fi and gadget connection. There was a bunch of stuff they cut out, and I was surprised that bit got in.

kup
3rd April 2009, 10:00 PM
Yeah, not sure about that. I think it is the sci-fi and gadget connection. There was a bunch of stuff they cut out, and I was surprised that bit got in.

Did they cut out anything interesting?

Lint
3rd April 2009, 10:15 PM
Well done Tiby! Looks like you were the victim of some mighty editing but your collection screams for itself I think :D

Tober
3rd April 2009, 10:19 PM
Nice collection (and shirt too!). I wished they would have spent more time discussing the on set toys.

Yep, would have been nice to have pointed out some of the more rare TFs or given some back history into Diaclone and Micro Change etc.

It was a really good segment tho, pity it couldn't have been longer.

Well done! :D

bruticus
3rd April 2009, 10:37 PM
Nice work Tiby and nice collection too. But, you got a whole bunch of open shelfs.... they must be a real pain to dust...

Finger print scanner and bars on the windows? lol...
and I thought i was extreme with my security measures....

Autocon
3rd April 2009, 10:49 PM
just saw it wish theres was more time on it
i have recorded it to disc if any perth people want to see it but be quick before its recorded over

liegeprime
3rd April 2009, 11:09 PM
Yay, Thanks The Damned! Awesome Shirt Tiby! :D:D. They used stock footage for the prime transformation though, pity. Wonder what stuff did they edit out, Tiby? I soooo want that lock!! Awesome finger print detection!

Lord_Zed
4th April 2009, 12:19 AM

Doctor Who is a channel 2 show, sounds to me like they were atempting a bit of extra promotion for thier lineup. :confused:

griffin
4th April 2009, 12:45 AM
Got home from work a little while ago and just watched it. Very well done Tiby. 'The Vault' looks very nice with all those glass cabinets and fluro lighting.
Pity that they got you to go to a lot of trouble deciding on what toys to bring to the studio, and then not even talk about any of them (or screen anything about them).
I suppose you could have gone on for hours with Qs from the non-fans.

And they didn't mention that it was the 25th anniversary this year. :(

Eruntalon
4th April 2009, 01:33 AM
It was sad to see the guy who collected wood that was on later who had died of cancer since the production of the show...

I like your glass shop display cabinets.

BTW Tiby, I remember that Village People skit you were involved in way back for Funniest Home Videos.

Tiby Representing Australian Transformer Collectors. Word.

jaydisc
4th April 2009, 07:32 AM
Well done Tiby!

What was that other transforming base-like-looking thing? Did they do that stop animation with your toys or was that sourced from elsewhere?

Also, I recommend folks watch the Whole Episode clip on the ABC site rather than just the Transformers clip to see the studio time.

Kudos!

GoktimusPrime
4th April 2009, 07:55 AM
So Tiby... how did you feel about letting the camera crew into your TF room? Because when ABC contacted me and asked me if I wanted to appear on the show, one of my concerns was having a camera crew stumbling around inside my TF room and knocking over toys - and your collection room is smaller than mine! ;) After watching last night's ep I'm glad that I declined and you accepted, because you offered something which nobody else could have in terms of your story about how you changed NSW law for Megatron. That alone made you the perfect candidate to appear on that show. :) I also loved how you showed off your plushies, hahaha.

I don't quite get how Doctor Who and James Bond are Transformer-like though... what was he talking about?
I'm guessing she's referring to techno-fantasy. And Dr. Who did briefly kinda cross over with Transformers during G1. ;)

What was that other transforming base-like-looking thing? Did they do that stop animation with your toys or was that sourced from elsewhere?
That's the trailer-base for Armada Optimus Prime. And it wouldn't have been stop-motion animation because the trailer actually transforms automatically when you transform the cab-robot. It releases an infrared signal to the trailer which makes it transform from trailer to base to lower-half of Prime's super-robot mode. The trailer "knows" which mode to transform into depending on how you transform the cab-robot.

sideswipes brother
4th April 2009, 08:37 AM
Tiby, did you HAVE to get that thumb scanner and bars on window just because of Megatron?? Man, thats dedication for what ive been told is a not up to par toy.

Vector Sigma 13
4th April 2009, 08:47 AM
Great stuff Tiby. I really enjoyed your segment. Loved those glass cases too!

Bartrim
4th April 2009, 09:34 AM
Just want to pass on my congrats too Tiby. Watched it with my wife and in laws. My wife and mother in law were both overwhelmed about the cost of your collection. My father in law was really impressed about you changing the law:)

Tiby
4th April 2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone!
To answer some questions (thanks Gok for covering some of them):
1. the fingerprint lock was something I had before Masterpiece Megatron, but it satisfies the "deadlock" requirement for keeping him.

2. Some of the edits involved the mythology of TFs, the reason they chose vehicles to disguise themselves, good vs evil, and I got Niccole to say "alt mode". The 25th Anniversary bit was missed too, as they foucssed on the new movie.

3. Collectors is more about the collector, not the collection. They are interested is why and how people collect, and the items themselves are incidental. It needs to go to the general public, rather than just to fans, so in that respect I think they did well. Fans know who and what the figures are anyway, and the general public would get confused by it all. Having said that, Andy is a massive fan.

4. The G1 Optimus Prime sequence was from the first segment some years ago. They did not have a chance to do it at my place.

5. The camera crew were great in my room - very respectful. They even got a crane in there to do some of the sweeping / high shots. I was very impressed and not at all concerned.

6. Dusting: I have no carpet and access to the room is limited, so dust is not too much of an issue.

THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE FOR THE KIND WORDS!!!! :) :) :)

shokwave2
4th April 2009, 10:03 AM
Just watched it at http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/segments/s2534549.htm. Very nice collection Tiby. It's hard to believe i live somewhere near it all. hehe.

Might have been answered before but do you collect variations? e.g. Binaltech AND Alternators? Or just the one? Also, do you do tours? ;)

Tiby
4th April 2009, 10:07 AM
Just watched it at http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/segments/s2534549.htm. Very nice collection Tiby. It's hard to believe i live somewhere near it all. hehe.

Might have been answered before but do you collect variations? e.g. Binaltech AND Alternators? Or just the one? Also, do you do tours? ;)

Thanks shokwave2! I have some variants, but with this size I had to limit going for every variant due to cost, space, etc.

As for "tours", I think it may be high time for a Wollongong meet!

Deonasis
4th April 2009, 11:04 AM
Great piece Tiby, we were well represented! Your collection is impressive and your display room/setup is awesome. Congrats to those that helped him out too, that was some good TV! Though they loved the fingerprint scanner a little to much, if someone had a collection of fingerprint scanners the panel would go apesh!t!! :D

autobreadticon
4th April 2009, 01:58 PM
great work Tiby, your interview was insightful and you articulated yourself really well. It didn't come off nerdy which normally comes with toy collecting, and i enjoyed how you talked about the personal element of collecting, cause i guess we all can relate to it in some way or another. much love for showing Soundwave and Tasmainian Kid :D

GoktimusPrime
4th April 2009, 02:24 PM
Tiby, did you HAVE to get that thumb scanner and bars on window just because of Megatron?? Man, thats dedication
Just to expand on what Tiby's said - it's a legal requirement for those of us in NSW to have secured storage for Megatron. I personally use a humble mortice lock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortise_lock) that I picked up from Bunnings for $20. :p Much cheaper and it fulfills the legal requirement (though obviously not as secure as a fingerprint scan lock).

for what ive been told is a not up to par toy.
I think that Masterpiece Megatron is an excellent toy. Guns are a sleek alt mode like jets, and like many sleek alt modes they're very challenging to engineer as Transformers because it's a lot trickier to conceal all the robot parts in alt mode. This is compounded when you want the robot mode to be bulky which is what Masterpiece Megatron aims to do.

If you look at the original G1 Megatron toy he transforms into a very _lanky_ robot. Marvel/Sunbow drew him to be bulkier in the comics and cartoon to obviously make him look more imposing and menacing, especially when going toe to toe with Optimus Prime. But of course, artists and animators can ignore the laws of physics, whereas toy engineers cannot. So I think Masterpiece Megatron is really well made considering that it's going from a fairly sleek realistic Walther P-38 transforming into a fairly bulky looking robot.

Click here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Goldgaigar/TF_G1/MPC_Megatron/Megs2.jpg?t=1238818659) to view a side-by-side comparison between Masterpiece and G1 Megatron in robot mode. You can see that MP Megatron's robot mode is far 'beefier' whereas G1 Megatron looks like he's bulemic - yet they both transform into the same alt mode (aside from size difference and absence of silencer and stock on MP).

Optimus Prime isn't the same challenge because he's transforming from a bulky truck into a bulky robot. The Decepticon Jets are similarly challenging because they transform from very sleek F-15s into relatively bulky robots. Compared to the MP jets I think that MP Megatron is a better achievement. My main criticism of the MP Megatron toy are the tabs which are fragile and can break easily. Otherwise I think it's a very impressively designed toy.

Click here (http://www.cliffbee.com/reviews/mpmegatron.php) to read dirge's MP Megatron review.

kurdt_the_goat
4th April 2009, 03:02 PM
I agree with your post completely Gok, but at the same time, could see how someone expecting a highly 'playable' (and sometimes poseable) toy could be disappointed with MP Megatron. Of course, playability is not something not we've been led to expect of the Mastepiece line - though Grimlock seems to have the most of all so far.

GoktimusPrime
4th April 2009, 06:34 PM
I agree with your post completely Gok, but at the same time, could see how someone expecting a highly 'playable' (and sometimes poseable) toy could be disappointed with MP Megatron.
MP Megatron does have the least amount of articulation compared to MPs, this is true - but it's by no means a brick... it's still a very poseable figure, as you can see here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vYCqNbzRjg) :) But again, it's because of the ambitious nature of what they were doing. The jets are more articulated, but they're less solid as action figures. To me the thing that brings this toy down in terms of playability isn't the articulation but more with the transformation... too complex for action toy play IMO.

though Grimlock seems to have the most of all so far.
But like Convoy you're looking at a bulky alt mode and bulky robot mode. It's a tough call - people want "show accurate" toys where in artists flagrantly ignored reality!

G1Optimal
4th April 2009, 08:56 PM
Great piece Tiby, we were well represented! Your collection is impressive and your display room/setup is awesome. Congrats to those that helped him out too, that was some good TV! Though they loved the fingerprint scanner a little to much, if someone had a collection of fingerprint scanners the panel would go apesh!t!! :D

I can imagine the possible Irony with a collection of fingerprint scanners...
And that is the collector doesn't securely store them.:D:p

jaydisc
4th April 2009, 09:21 PM
I've never really liked the idea of fingerprint or retina scanners for security. If you get a motivated enough bad guy and you might loose a finger, hand or eye.

GoktimusPrime
4th April 2009, 09:22 PM
I've never really liked the idea of fingerprint or retina scanners for security. If you get a motivated enough bad guy and you might loose a finger, hand or eye.
I'd better uninstall my janglies scanner then! :p :D

Fungal Infection
4th April 2009, 10:57 PM

I don't think you have to fear anyone cutting off your head. :p

optimus1
4th April 2009, 11:02 PM
:cool:

Impressive mate!

I even let me sis watch the episode, who was also impressed with the layout and security of your collection.

Robzy
5th April 2009, 12:09 AM
Great stuff! Well done Tiby!

The Dr Who & James Bond question was a bit random... http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk199/sunglikeahorse/WTF-smiley.gif

shokwave2
5th April 2009, 06:58 AM
How do you prove to the authorities that you meet the correct security requirements? Does someone come out to the house or do you show them pics? Bars on windows sounds a bit extreme to me.

GoktimusPrime
5th April 2009, 07:30 AM
References:

From Megatron Club Inc.:
Summary of safe storage requirements (http://www.megatron.net.au/Safe_Storage_Requirements_Summary.doc)
Safe storage requirements proforma (http://www.megatron.net.au/Safe_Storage_Requirements_Proforma.doc)
P638 Application for a Prohibited Weapon Permit (http://www.megatron.net.au/form_p638.pdf)

From the NSW Police Force:
Prohibited Weapons Permit (http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/community_issues/firearms/prohibited_weapon_permits)

For further enquiries, contact the NSW Police Firearms Registry (http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/community_issues/firearms/more_information/contacts) or even your local police.

Tiby
5th April 2009, 08:47 AM

My scanner is heat sensitive too, so it needs to detect a "live" finger.

Thanatos
5th April 2009, 10:20 AM
My scanner is heat sensitive too, so it needs to detect a "live" finger.

What, no microwaved cut off fingers? Disappointing :P

Tiby
5th April 2009, 10:49 AM
What, no microwaved cut off fingers? Disappointing :P

I'm not yet brave enough to test it !!! :)

Thanatos
5th April 2009, 02:09 PM
I'm not yet brave enough to test it !!! :)

I don't blame you ;)

Sky Shadow
5th April 2009, 02:32 PM
The Dr Who & James Bond question was a bit random... http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk199/sunglikeahorse/WTF-smiley.gif

I know - even Star Wars would have made more sense, and then Tiby could at least have explained that he did actually have Star Wars Transformers. I guess from The Collectors' perspective:

1. Transformers, Doctor Who and James Bond all have rabid, collecting, geeky fanbases.
2. Transformers and Doctor Who are both science fiction.
3. After seeing Soundwave, Megatron and the Autobot cars there was a tenuous gadget/Walther guns/fast car Transformers/James Bond connection.

But it just jarred really badly. It was like if someone was there as an antique furniture collector and the hosts asked apropos of nothing, "so... have you thought about branching out into collecting cereal boxes or sea anemones?" :rolleyes:

Still, this was light years beyond any previous Transformers mentions on the show. It was fantastic that they finally had someone who had an amazing collection and actually knew what he was talking about.

shokwave2
5th April 2009, 03:06 PM
A freshly cut finger should hold the warm blood for a few mins so that should work...:confused::confused::confused:

Also to my previous question about security requirements, could you fill out the forms without proper locks, cabinets, etc and get away with it? I mean, how would they know? Do they do random checks?

MV75
5th April 2009, 04:18 PM
But it wouldn't hold a pulse. But biometrics are so easy to defeat anyway.

Anyhoo, if you have a registered "prohibited" item, they have the right to inspect the premisis where it's registered to at any time.

shokwave2
5th April 2009, 04:43 PM
Anyhoo, if you have a registered "prohibited" item, they have the right to inspect the premisis where it's registered to at any time.

But what if you display it in robot mode? I find it weird you can buy replica swords (which could do serious damage anyway) in gift shops and toy guns in toy shops but can't display a robot.

BTW, not having a go at anyone or the law. Just curious. I'd love to get MP Megs but i'd have to wait until i move house. I doubt the authorities would class a 4mm glass display cabinet in the lounge room as high security.

Tiby
5th April 2009, 05:12 PM
A freshly cut finger should hold the warm blood for a few mins so that should work...:confused::confused::confused:

Also to my previous question about security requirements, could you fill out the forms without proper locks, cabinets, etc and get away with it? I mean, how would they know? Do they do random checks?

Hi shokwave2,
If you do that, you are making a false declaration and will be in a world of pain if they inspect your premises. Please take this very seriously as there are significant jail terms involved.

Please browse the link in my sig to see what needs to be done.

shokwave2
5th April 2009, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't even risk it Tiby. Just curious as to why displaying a robot toy in robot mode is considered dangerous, when there's firing toys out there that if handled incorrectly could injure a child.

I've checked out your website Tiby, just to get an idea of what to do when i do eventually purchase MP Megs. But as i said it won't be until i move house create a secure collection room.

Gutsman Heavy
5th April 2009, 05:24 PM
Megatron. Serious Business.

Makes me glad I live in SA were we all walk around brandishing Megatrons left right and centre. (well not rly, but I can has one with out the po-pos melting him into slag)

GoktimusPrime
5th April 2009, 05:38 PM
I know - even Star Wars would have made more sense, and then Tiby could at least have explained that he did actually have Star Wars Transformers. I guess from The Collectors' perspective:

1. Transformers, Doctor Who and James Bond all have rabid, collecting, geeky fanbases.
2. Transformers and Doctor Who are both science fiction.
3. After seeing Soundwave, Megatron and the Autobot cars there was a tenuous gadget/Walther guns/fast car Transformers/James Bond connection.

But it just jarred really badly. It was like if someone was there as an antique furniture collector and the hosts asked apropos of nothing, "so... have you thought about branching out into collecting cereal boxes or sea anemones?"
Also Megatron was based on the Walther P38 U.N.C.L.E., a fictituous modified P38 from the TV series "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.", (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3mopq_the-man-from-uncle-intro-segment_shortfilms) - a show about spies, secret agencies etc., much like James Bond. Ian Fleming (creator of 007) was also an executive producer for The Man From U.N.C.L.E. alongside Norman Felton (source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_from_U.N.C.L.E.)).

Also, remember that she is probably not a fan of anything remotely similar to Transformers or Bond or anything like that. From a "non-geek" POV it's not that huge a leap.

But what if you display it in robot mode?
Doesn't matter - still counts as far as the law's concerned. About 9 years ago there was a Transformers fan from Canberra who took my G1 Megatron toy, brought it with him to Canberra, and walked around with it in public in gun mode. He got tackled by security guards at a train station and at the airport. This was all before September 11. It's because of people like him that we have these laws that inconvenience the rest of us. (-_-)

BTW, not having a go at anyone or the law. Just curious. I'd love to get MP Megs but i'd have to wait until i move house. I doubt the authorities would class a 4mm glass display cabinet in the lounge room as high security.
As long as the display cabinet can be locked and the room that it's in satisfies security requirements, then I don't see any problem with it. The display unit that I store my Megatrons in are made from 4mm tempered glass and a door latch that you can padlock, and it's legally compliant.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/collection%202009/th_collection_003.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/collection%202009/collection_003.jpg)

shokwave2
5th April 2009, 06:15 PM
As long as the display cabinet can be locked and the room that it's in satisfies security requirements, then I don't see any problem with it. The display unit that I store my Megatrons in are made from 4mm tempered glass and a door latch that you can padlock, and it's legally compliant.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/collection%202009/th_collection_003.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/collection%202009/collection_003.jpg)

I have the exact same cabinet! Although my lounge room is just inside my front door which is secured by a single deadlock and has a 1.5m x 2.5m sunroom window.

Did your Megatron get damaged by the tackle?

GoktimusPrime
5th April 2009, 07:17 PM
Tackle?

Although my lounge room is just inside my front door which is secured by a single deadlock and has a 1.5m x 2.5m sunroom window.
I'm not sure if a lounge room will suffice or if it needs to be in another room with a lock on that room's door. I suspect it's the latter but I'm not entirely sure. You might want to ask Tiby or the police.

shokwave2
5th April 2009, 07:28 PM
About 9 years ago there was a Transformers fan from Canberra who took my G1 Megatron toy, brought it with him to Canberra, and walked around with it in public in gun mode. He got tackled by security guards at a train station and at the airport. This was all before September 11. It's because of people like him that we have these laws that inconvenience the rest of us. (-_-)

The tackle in the story about your megs?

Tetsuwan Convoy
5th April 2009, 11:50 PM
Apparently i have to keep my collection below a certain number to be allowed to keep buying them.:(
Eeep! TF management! What a pain! How do you choose what to sacrifice?

ROFL!! I would hate to see THAT scanner in action!:p

Great segment Tiby! My Mum messaged me at the time "Watch channel 2 NOW!" it said. Nice collection. Probably the most fun I have had watching collectors. Shame it was so short... Next time hey?:D

GoktimusPrime
6th April 2009, 09:35 AM
The tackle in the story about your megs?
Ah yes... it survived. But the guy later broke my Megatron's torso. He got someone to fix it but it wasn't the same... the chest piece could rotate a full 360. :( Then in late 2000/early 2001 when Takara announced that they would reissue Megatron (in Feb 2001) I told him to pay for my reissue ($80) to compensate for the damage done to my toy. He refused. After much further debate, he agreed to pay for 50% of the cost of my reissue - so he paid $40 for it. Afterwards he eventually returned my original Megatron toy after much much much much much persistent nagging from me. :( Sadly in 2005 I was burgled and my original Megatron toy was stolen. :( (T_T)

ROFL!! I would hate to see THAT scanner in action!
I'll be sure that I demonstrate it in mid-winter so I can use the "it's cold" excuse. ;) :D

JuzMel
6th April 2009, 12:53 PM
Just watched the short segment that I downloaded from the ABC website, is there somewhere where you can watch the full show? Because the file I downloaded seems pretty small and short.

But GREAT presentation Tiby! Love your eloquent choice of words too! Tells the world that TF Collectors aren't just nerdy geeks, but we are also smart and intelligent!
----------------------
*Starts dreaming about own TF room in the new house...* :P

Kyle
6th April 2009, 02:53 PM
I've just downloaded the segments so I can watch them at home later. Will have to watch the whole episode online (with Tiby in the studio) when I return to office tomorrow. Moving house is driving me mad... :(

Saintly
6th April 2009, 03:57 PM
awesome Tiby! the producers sure knows how to make it look as good as the real deal!

Tiby
7th April 2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks again everyone!

GoktimusPrime
18th April 2009, 03:45 PM
Found it on YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6C6dSAYHXk

Megatran
17th February 2017, 04:27 PM
Found it on YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6C6dSAYHXk

This is definitely worth resurrecting (for those of us who weren't OTCA members at the time). :):cool:

Tiby
20th February 2017, 01:12 PM
Oh boy - how young we all were!