PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Animated S3 Ep05 "Where is Thy Sting?" Discussion

Kyle
25th March 2009, 12:12 PM
It has been leaked online early...

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-animated-discussion/224749-where-thy-sting-online-spoilers.html

i_amtrunks
25th March 2009, 12:33 PM
Awesome episode, back to Transwarped level of quality after a bit of a dip last week.

SPOILERS
Sentinel is so freaking annoying, and entertaining at the same time. I was not expecting Magnus to get blown to bits so early on in the season, Shockwave really is ripping through the Autobots!

Also featured the debut of the Jet Autobots

Stompy
25th March 2009, 12:38 PM
Great episode. Lots of big things happening.

SPOILERS:Never thought they'd give the twins such heavy accents. Also, I can't wait until Wasp gets indoctrinated by Blackarachnia. On a sadder note, first Blurr, now Magnus. :( Shockwave is on a roll!

Sky Shadow
25th March 2009, 01:04 PM
It has been leaked online early...

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-animated-discussion/224749-where-thy-sting-online-spoilers.html

Ratchet: "Impossible! No Autobot flies!"

Um... well... except your best friend Omega Supreme. Remember him? You know, from... two episodes ago? :rolleyes:

Speaking of two episodes ago - where the heck is Sari?

Jetstorm and Jetfire had (Brazilian? Mexican? Portuguese? Spanish? Russian? Bad? Inconsistent?) accents. Which obviously wasn't something one could infer from reading the comic book. And they transform into Safeguard anime-style.

Sentinel Prime finally remembering Bumblebee from Autoboot camp was hilarious.

Holy $#(*! That was one hell of an ending. Spoilery speculations: If that's more... final than just being crippled, I wonder if that means Sentinel will be Sentinel Magnus now? Or Optimus Magnus, but that's unlikely. Regardless, it's not going to be good for the Autobot military.

i_amtrunks
25th March 2009, 02:24 PM
Jetstorm and Jetfire had (Brazilian? Mexican? Portuguese? Spanish? Russian? Bad? Inconsistent?) accents. Which obviously wasn't something one could infer from reading the comic book. And they transform into Safeguard anime-style.

They sounded like Jamaicans who have lived in Brazil for a number of years to me... some very strange accents. Might create more interest in the Safeguard figure though, the whole fire and air deal was pretty snazzy.

Sentinel Prime finally remembering Bumblebee from Autoboot camp was hilarious.

I'd kill for another episode of Bumblebee dropping things on Sentinel, You cant help but hate the guy, yet want him to have more screentime, just to be showed up over and over again. Jazz is the perfect foil for him.

Spoilery speculations:
Sentinel Magnus would be the worst thing to happen to the Autobots. Surely there has to be someone else in all of Autobot Elite Guard who ranks higher than him, seriously the Autobots are pretty daft if they have not realized that Sentinel should have never been given any authority.
Could we get a bit of Sentinel Magnus before Optimus takes control of the Autobot forces, but not as Optimus Magnus?

griffin
25th March 2009, 02:48 PM
Just like the Gen1 Sludge image in Ep4, this episode had Torq3 from Gen1 in the background of Bumblebee's computer game. It's odd little things like that which give us 'old timer' fans something to laugh at when we see them... :)

I think it was probably a script error when Magnus said 'Shockwave' instead of 'Longarm' at the end, because the Autobots don't know Shockwave (or even the name???), only Longarm. Even if he revealed himself to Magnus before the confrontation, Magnus wouldn't be telling Ironhide that, because Ironhide wouldn't know who he was talking about.

Tom Kenny did a good Wasp(inator) voice. And the Jet twins were actually voiced by two different people. I guess there was so much altering of their voices, that they sounded the same.

And I wouldn't think that ending is permanent, because Hasbro still have 2 toys in the leader size class to sell (still in stores here and globally), and wouldn't aprove of his removal from the show just yet. It's their largest non-gimmick size class for Animated toys, so they would want to get as much screen time as possible, and he hasn't really been featured too much yet.

i_amtrunks
25th March 2009, 04:06 PM
I think it was probably a script error when Magnus said 'Shockwave' instead of 'Longarm' at the end, because the Autobots don't know Shockwave (or even the name???), only Longarm. Even if he revealed himself to Magnus before the confrontation, Magnus wouldn't be telling Ironhide that, because Ironhide wouldn't know who he was talking about.

I thought the Autobots were aware of Shockwave, cannot think of any reason why they would, considering how long he has been undercover as Longarm...

And I wouldn't think that ending is permanent, because Hasbro still have 2 toys in the leader size class to sell (still in stores here and globally), and wouldn't aprove of his removal from the show just yet. It's their largest non-gimmick size class for Animated toys, so they would want to get as much screen time as possible, and he hasn't really been featured too much yet.

You thinking that Magnus may get "upgraded" into a something a little more Road Busting? :p

Sky Shadow
25th March 2009, 04:23 PM
They sounded like Jamaicans who have lived in Brazil for a number of years to me... some very strange accents.

Actually, I think I've worked it out now. Jetfire was meant to have a 'hot' accent (Jamaica/Brazil etc.) while Jetstorm was meant to have a cold one (Russian.)

Kyle
25th March 2009, 05:45 PM
Makes sense!

GoktimusPrime
25th March 2009, 11:12 PM
A thoroughly enjoyable episode! :)

They sounded like Jamaicans who have lived in Brazil for a number of years to me... some very strange accents.
It's not as if American accents make any more sense. These are alien robots after all. :) I do like how the movie actually explained why the Transformers speak English ("My bad.") ;)

Wasp's voice... it's not as cool as it sounded before. Sounds like a weird mix between Waspinator (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD3HCtqPUm4) and Elmo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpas0QjKY_A) IMO. :/

Considering that Shockwave knows that his cover is blown he has no need to transform back into Longarm Prime again since he's now a wanted felon by the Autobots. By telling Ironhide that it was Shockwave they know to look for him instead. The Autobot Elite Guard know about Shockwave because Blurr had been intercepting transmissions between him and Megatron on Earth - they just never knew that Shockwave and Longarm Prime were one and the same. So now both Longarm Prime and Shockwave are on the Autobots' radar.

Not too bad for a dude with one side of his head smashed off. I could also hear a mechanical "shut down" noise as there was a close-up on Magnus' head... does this mean that he's dead? If so, then kudos to writers for doing so - showing that war has horrible consequences in a kids' cartoon.

liegeprime
25th March 2009, 11:40 PM
Okaaaay just watched it, so, the spoilers Ive read before somewhere ARE true.... coz there was a drawing/sketch of UM getting decapitated and all, so this is where it happens...... the plot thickens like molten slag....., as for blurr , well hopefully he's more like waspinator ( BW) Waspy gets blown, squished, decapitated, burned and still he gets going. Now that is one tough bot!

griffin
26th March 2009, 12:53 AM
One thing I forgot to also mention above, is the temporal error in this episode. While the Autobots are spending a few hours trying to remove Lugnut from the crater, a number of days pass with the Bulkhead-Constructicons subplot - newspaper articles of various oil thefts suggest a number of days have passed. It was meant to emphasise the sheer scale of Dirt Boss's operation, but the writer and director failed to notice that the other subplot with Lugnut was not something that would go longer than an hour or two.

genechan
26th March 2009, 01:06 AM
I love the Jet Twins now - offically. Their Russian accents suit them very well 8)
Had some great lines in it - Jazz paying out Sentinel...:D LOL

Zahhak
26th March 2009, 03:10 AM
Just like the Gen1 Sludge image in Ep4, this episode had Torq3 from Gen1 in the background of Bumblebee's computer game.

Yeah I noticed that too it was an nice little addition.

Um... well... except your best friend Omega Supreme. Remember him? You know, from... two episodes ago?

ha!, oh swoop can fly but I'm not sure if he counts,

While I did like the episode I am slightly worried that Wasp won't get a "wasp" alt mode and it was simply just a toy thang.
some spoilers
-Ironhide is still alive, does that mean rodimus and hotshot are aswell?
-Whats so Important about Ultra Magnus's Hammer..is it a symbol of his rank like the matrix in G1?

oh and with Ultra Mangus, which part is his rank..like if Prime took over would he be Magnus Prime..Ultra Prime..Prime Magnus??

Sky Shadow
26th March 2009, 08:57 AM
One thing I forgot to also mention above, is the temporal error in this episode. While the Autobots are spending a few hours trying to remove Lugnut from the crater, a number of days pass with the Bulkhead-Constructicons subplot - newspaper articles of various oil thefts suggest a number of days have passed. It was meant to emphasise the sheer scale of Dirt Boss's operation, but the writer and director failed to notice that the other subplot with Lugnut was not something that would go longer than an hour or two.

Actually, Griff - that was in the previous episode. :-) I mentioned it in this thread: http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3849

Sky Shadow
26th March 2009, 09:07 AM
oh and with Ultra Mangus, which part is his rank..like if Prime took over would he be Magnus Prime..Ultra Prime..Prime Magnus??

Magnus is his rank - he would be Optimus Magnus. Which would mean he is 'Best' and 'Great'. And I wouldn't worry about never seeing Waspinator just yet. :)

GoktimusPrime
26th March 2009, 09:18 AM

Um... well... except your best friend Omega Supreme. Remember him? You know, from... two episodes ago?
Yeah but they broke the mould when they made Omega Supreme. He was very unique as the Autobots' Ultimate Weapon(TM). So the idea of "regular" Transformers being able to fly seems to be still relegated to Decepticons.

I still think the idea of flight being a unique Decepticon programming that they had to hack off Starscream is silly, but at least they are being consistent with pre-existing canon established in the comic book packaged with the twins.

Now who doesn't want to hear one of the twins asking for directions to "nuclear wessels"? ;) :) :D

i_amtrunks
26th March 2009, 09:53 AM
I believe that Ironhide and crew are back in action, they were badly damaged, and rusted out, but they were not finished off as Strika's team away were ordered away from the battle.

griffin
26th March 2009, 12:43 PM
Actually, Griff - that was in the previous episode. :-) I mentioned it in this thread: http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3849

Oops, my bad... I watched both episodes at the same time, and got mixed up. Sorry... :(

SilverDragon
26th March 2009, 01:22 PM
Thankfully last week's episode wasn't a sign of declining quality in this series.

I'm not really sure about the Jet twins accents. I keep thinking they're Russian, but they sound off.

Also, in Soviet Russia, Jet storms you!

I think they should have found Wasp out earlier, but then the episode would probably be ten minutes long, so it was probably a good thing.

lawl @ squeaky Bulkhead. Also, the bus hat. I think they need to release the leader version with that instead of Headmaster.

Um...wow. I wasn't expecting Shockwave to get so desperate so early on in the season. It definitely shows that the Autobots are severely underpowered in this series.

Also, I now declare TFA Shockwave to be the best Shockwave ever (comics!Shockwave is just behind).

GoktimusPrime
26th March 2009, 03:12 PM
Also, I now declare TFA Shockwave to be the best Shockwave ever (comics!Shockwave is just behind).
I disagree. I like both Animated and comic Shockwaves - they're both very different characters who only share the same name and some visual similarities. And a lack of depth perception. :p Other than that they're entirely different characters who are both quite cool in their own right IMO.

Comic Shockwave is a leader - and as he said in Spotlight Shockwave, "Ultimately, I serve only one master... pure logic!". And overall he is a very powerful Decepticon warrior and commander who is very difficult to defeat unless he is either physically overwhelmed (again, not easy because he is extremely strong) or if he encounters a logical paradox which he cannot compute (as he did during the Time Wars and to a lesser degree in "On The Edge of Extinction").

Animated Shockwave on the other hand is a mole - and a darn good one. It was only because Ultra Magnus hadn't informed Longarm earlier of the Elite Guard's mission to Earth that ultimately led to his cover being blown. But until then he'd been operating as an Autobot for ages - beginning as a recruit and working his way up to the rank of Prime. And that's pretty good considering that he was just a recruit at the time that Sentinel was a Minor and now achieved equal rank with his former drill officer. In time, if conditions were right, he may have even attained the rank of Magnus and really screwed the Autobots over. He's like the Transformers' version of Palpatine!

So being such diversely different characters who don't really have anything in common other than name and visual impairment (although Animated Shockwave has full stereoscopic sight as Longarm Prime!) I don't think I could say that one is better or worse than the other. Unless you asked one of them to catch a ball - Animated Shockwave in the form of Longarm would win. Animated Shockwave would also win in contests of boxing, shadow puppetry, origami, speed typing, clapping or anything where having two hands would be a great advantage. ;) G1 Shockwave would pwn Animated Shockwave in any math test but. :p G1 Shockwave also has a much bigger... trigger... than Animated Shocky (;

kup
26th March 2009, 03:16 PM
I saw the episode, I am happy to see that this time they seem to be breaking the pattern from past seasons in which for every decent episode you got, several real bad episodes followed. Even though its just 3 episodes for this season, it seems more consistent in than previously.

For me, Animated Shockwave lags behind Marvel G1/IDW Shockwave but he certainly is much better than cartoon G1 Shockwave. Regardless, Animated Shockwave presently has more in common with G1 cartoon Shockwave than any other.

What would make Animated Shockwave freaking cool is if due to his desperation, he begins to forge a more G1 Marvel style character in which he decides that Megatron's leadership is unsutable or feels betrayed by being left to fend for himself and tries to over throw him.

Robzy
26th March 2009, 05:16 PM
Not a great episode, but better than the last one!

this episode had Torq3 from Gen1 in the background of Bumblebee's computer game.
Yeah, noticed that too... very cool! :cool:

Tom Kenny did a good Wasp(inator) voice.

Wasp's voice... it's not as cool as it sounded before. It sounded a bit like Scooter from Machine Men/GoBots too :p

What would make Animated Shockwave freaking cool is if due to his desperation, he begins to forge a more G1 Marvel style character in which he decides that Megatron's leadership is unsutable or feels betrayed by being left to fend for himself and tries to over throw him.Oooo... now that's interesting... :)

GoktimusPrime
26th March 2009, 05:34 PM
It sounded a bit like Scooter from Machine Men/GoBots too
*cold.shudder*

In Soviet Russia, eye more than meets you!

Sky Shadow
26th March 2009, 07:18 PM
[SPOILERS for this episode, but seriously - if you haven't seen this episode and don't want to be spoiled I can't imagine why you'd be reading this thread anyway.]

Animated Shockwave on the other hand is a mole - and a darn good one. It was only because Ultra Magnus hadn't informed Longarm earlier of the Elite Guard's mission to Earth that ultimately led to his cover being blown. But until then he'd been operating as an Autobot for ages - beginning as a recruit and working his way up to the rank of Prime. And that's pretty good considering that he was just a recruit at the time that Sentinel was a Minor and now achieved equal rank with his former drill officer. In time, if conditions were right, he may have even attained the rank of Magnus and really screwed the Autobots over.

Holy (&@% Gok, that would have made an awesome story. Imagine that Sentinel, Jazz, Jetstorm and Jetfire were stuck on Earth with Prime's Autobots (damaged ship) and they still couldn't contact Cybertron (atmospheric fuzz/Longarm intercepting communications). Ironhide finds Magnus, who says "Shockwave" killed him with his final words. The Autobots don't know who Shockwave is and don't know he is Longarm Prime's alter ego. With Ultra dead and Sentinel and Optimus gone, Longarm is thus the highest-ranking robot left on Cybertron and is promoted to Longarm Magnus. Megatron has a loyal Decepticon in place as the leader of the Autobots. The war begins and is quickly lost by the Autobots. And so it's left to a ragtag band of four Earthbound Autobots from the Elite Guard and a space bridge repair crew to reclaim Cybertron and defeat Megatron for good. :)

SilverDragon
26th March 2009, 07:46 PM
G1 Shockwave would pwn Animated Shockwave in any math test but. :p G1 Shockwave also has a much bigger... trigger... than Animated Shocky (;

So? G1 Shockwave doesn't have Crushy Walls Of Death. ;)

Ode to a Grasshopper
26th March 2009, 09:41 PM
Better than the last ep for sure. The Wasp/Bumblebee rivalry was quite well done, and it's nice to see Wasp is cunning as well as just insane - can't wait for Waspinator. Really liked Jazz, and while it's sorta sad not to see that Ultra Magnus/Shockwave fight, it's still pretty cool that Shockwave is badass enough to trash Magnus that badly.
I'm so getting that purple repaint 2-pack if it shows up here in Perth.

GoktimusPrime
26th March 2009, 10:31 PM
I was hoping that he would become Waspinator in this ep. Now I want a Wasp toy (i.e.: repaint of Bumblebee w/ retooled head)!! Come on, they did it for Animated Activator Cliffjumper - I'd be all over an Activator Wasp done similarly! :)

genechan
27th March 2009, 12:41 AM
So? G1 Shockwave doesn't have Crushy Walls Of Death. ;)

Yeah, but both still can;t shoot for s***
;)

Tetsuwan Convoy
27th March 2009, 08:43 AM
What would make Animated Shockwave freaking cool is if due to his desperation, he begins to forge a more G1 Marvel style character in which he decides that Megatron's leadership is unsutable or feels betrayed by being left to fend for himself and tries to over throw him.

I thought along these lines as well. Megatron is Missing in action as he warps around the universe randomly, and if we assume that Starscream was second in command of the deceps(although there has been no proof that I can think of to assume the Deceps have an assisstant despot), then the two leaders are MIA. Shockwave, having access to Cybertron could hide from the Autobots and use the communications there to contact and co-ordinate the Decepticons and become the stand-in leader. Then when Megatron shows up again, Shockwave either let Mes run the show or sits there and and explains that he has managed to do what Megatron couldn't.

Since I think its safe to say that the Starscream clones are officially Decepticons now (since they dumped Stars at end of Bridge too Close), we have gone back to one group of Bad guys, so we could end up with Shockwave's Decepticons and Megatrons "Elite" Decepticons as well...

Bartrim
27th March 2009, 10:53 AM
There are some real good ideas here guys. I really like the way this show is coming along and I hope they continue this after the movie (I'm assuming everything else TF related will stop for ROTF) It will be interesting to see how they play out Shockwave. So do the other Autobots know that Longarm is the traitor? Just the way Ironhide was calling out to him (I'm guessing Rodimus' team made it back to Cybertron) it sounded like he was trying to find him and wasn't too happy. So did Sentinel put a call through to Cybertron? because it sounded like Optimus finally had him convinced at the end of the episode.

Oh I didn't think I would like the twins but I thought they were pretty cool. I've always enjoyed animated but this 3rd season is shaping up really good now that they are focusing on Cybertron and the traitor.

Oh and Genechan... You have to be fair to animated Shockwave. He was trying to shoot Blurr after all:p

GoktimusPrime
27th March 2009, 12:18 PM
So did Sentinel put a call through to Cybertron? because it sounded like Optimus finally had him convinced at the end of the episode
Wasn't Ironhide on his way to arrest Longarm when he discovered Magnus?

Bartrim
27th March 2009, 12:25 PM
Yeah thas what I thought too Gok. I just wasn't sure as nothing really has been confirmed.

So do the other Autobots know that Longarm is the traitor? Just the way Ironhide was calling out to him (I'm guessing Rodimus' team made it back to Cybertron) it sounded like he was trying to find him and wasn't too happy.

Yeah Ironhide didn't sound happy... doesn't mean he was on his way to arrest him. For all we know Longarm may have not washed up after dinner and that may have upset Ironhide:p

i_amtrunks
27th March 2009, 12:25 PM

I believe so.

And I hope that Ironhide being fit and well indicates that Rodimus's team (including Roddy) are all fine and repaired (since Ratchet did have the Cosmic Rust vaccine in the comics), and that it isnt just an oversight.

genechan
27th March 2009, 01:25 PM
Oh and Genechan... You have to be fair to animated Shockwave. He was trying to shoot Blurr after all:p

Yeah he was trying, but still :P

Golden Phoenix
27th March 2009, 01:39 PM

The thing I don't get is why it was only one bot?
Why not at least 3 or 4.

Gutsman Heavy
27th March 2009, 02:19 PM
Anyone else think the 'unmasked' bumblebee looks like his movie counterpart?

kup
27th March 2009, 02:33 PM
The thing I don't get is why it was only one bot?
Why not at least 3 or 4.

Maybe they split up to look for Longarm/Shockwave BUT if that was the case, leaving their supreme leader completely without guard was incredibly stupid.

genechan
27th March 2009, 03:27 PM
Maybe they split up to look for Longarm/Shockwave BUT if that was the case, leaving their supreme leader completely without guard was incredibly stupid.

Thats probably true. But maybe they thought Magnus would be able to look after himself - he could have ordered it..maybe.

What i am interested in is with Magnus' hammer, he would have had it with him when he got attacked. Just thinking now, maybe is its the matrix to something similar in away of a power symbol. And possibly Shockwave took it.

(and I am rambling again XD)

i_amtrunks
27th March 2009, 03:38 PM
Thats probably true. But maybe they thought Magnus would be able to look after himself - he could have ordered it..maybe.

What i am interested in is with Magnus' hammer, he would have had it with him when he got attacked. Just thinking now, maybe is its the matrix to something similar in away of a power symbol. And possibly Shockwave took it.

It seemed to be able to control Earth Weather to an extent, so I'm guessing the hammer is quite powerful indeed.

Bartrim
27th March 2009, 03:53 PM

Thats a good point genechan. When Ironhide first sees Magnus He asks where the hammer is so it may well be a status of power too.

GoktimusPrime
27th March 2009, 06:39 PM
Magnus' warhammer = Mjölnir! Looks expensive... must've cost him 40k. ;)

SMHFConvoy
28th March 2009, 01:39 PM
The episode was good. Not what I was expecting actually. But it felt a bit condensed too. BB's situation could've been stretched out as a sub plot, same with Shockwave/ Longarm's story.

However, if the rumours are true and this is TFA's final season all of these things were done now and for good reason.