PDA

View Full Version : TFA Season 3 episode 6 - Five Servos of Doom

liegeprime
27th March 2009, 10:00 PM
TFA episode "Five Servos of Doom" now out on youtube.

They keep dishin out good characters these days - warpath doesnt have tourette's anymore!

Here's the discussion link they have the youtube links in page 1 :D
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-animated-discussion/225153-tfa-episode-35-five-servos-doom-spoilers.html

griffin
28th March 2009, 12:47 AM
Interesting episode.
- Warpath without tourettes.
- Lockdown returns, and was a part of the Prowl's 'dojo'.
- Samarai Prowl (in full this time), but maybe they shouldn't have destroyed the original suit first time around if they knew a toy was coming.
- George Takei (Star Trek's Sulu) voicing Prowl's sensei.
- 2 More of Starscreams's clones, but they are still being called Starscream.
- Baseball stadium was called 'Tigatron Stadium'
- Spark holders are matrix shaped. I think the Beast Era had something similar.
- Magnus is still alive.
- THREE EPISODES IN A ROW WITHOUT SARI.... YAY :p
- Still no Blackarachnia either.

(it should be obvious to people that anything said in these topics about these new episodes are spoilers, so no need to be hiding the words)

Sky Shadow
28th March 2009, 01:38 AM
"What? This isn't my Autobot. I'm just holding it for a friend." :D

Warpath was well-reimagined.

Tigatron Stadium indeed - so far, this is the best season of a cartoon since Beast Wars.

Ode to a Grasshopper
28th March 2009, 04:50 AM
Hey, more (& ongoing) Samurai Prowl action...awesome, I just picked him up this week. Nice ninja team action (I've been waiting for that for ages, and I have Jazz too, woohoo!), George Takei was an interesting VA, not sure about the whole Lockdown helmet thing going though - it felt a bit like an attempt to force the Prowl/Lockdown rivalry (sort-of) established in Fistful of Energon. No human villains this time either, which is nice. That said, more screentime often equals greater likelihood of toys so more Team Chaar and Rodimus' crew (besides Ironhide) please...

liegeprime
28th March 2009, 08:22 AM
Interesting episode.
- Magnus is still alive.
- THREE EPISODES IN A ROW WITHOUT SARI.... YAY :p
- Still no Blackarachnia either.

Magnus he's convalescing :translation: being recoloured so when he next appears heheheh - thus providing a good entry for the intro of his Roadbuster redeco.

Sari - well she is a teenster now, prolly going thru that angst rebellious period, or literally having her "." heheheheh you cant act with a cramp so ive heard...

Blackarachnia- I miss her, but then she'll be back, she hasn't yet mutilated wasp into becoming wuzzzpinateeeer...

Kyle
28th March 2009, 08:24 AM
Magnus he's convalescing :translation: being recoloured so when he next appears heheheh - thus providing a good entry for the intro of his Roadbuster redeco.

I hope I won't have to spend more money on redeco... :(

liegeprime
28th March 2009, 08:29 AM
I hope I won't have to spend more money on redeco... :(
Nah its just a recolor Kyle, AFAIK. So if you like the first release its just the same except fo the color. But if your a completist , goodbye $$$.

loophole
28th March 2009, 10:37 AM
that was a really good episode, im just afraid though of getting a massive dose of Sari in the couple of episodes now.

And how come we havent heard Safeguard talk yet?

Sky Shadow
28th March 2009, 10:49 AM
And how come we havent heard Safeguard talk yet?

He said "sir, yes sir" to Sentinel in the previous episode. He just sounds like Jetstorm and Jetfire both speaking at once.

Gutsman Heavy
28th March 2009, 01:26 PM
yeah Safeguard speaks DBZ fusion style.

hmmm, I may have to get Samurai Prowl now, GG Hasbro, GG.

SMHFConvoy
28th March 2009, 02:16 PM
Cool and they made Prowl's new look permanent :) Hope Sentinel's around a bit longer... He needs to meet up with Blackarachnia!

GoktimusPrime
28th March 2009, 04:32 PM
A great episode. :)

I recognised some of the holo-busts in the Dojo as Jazz, Devcon, Dai Atlas and Springer. I didn't recognise the others but I've read fan speculations that they're Sky Garry, Grandus and Heavy Load.

"Tigatron Stadium" was a really neat Beast Wars homage - the font was also done in orange, the same colour as the Tigatron prototype (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/7/76/Tigertron.gif). Could be coincidental though, but the optimist in me would like to believe it's intentional. :p ;)

Prowl's back story was great. Yoketron was a cool character and it was neat to hear George Takei voicing him! Gave me a personal buzz as I met George Takei at Sydney SupaNova in 2004 wearing an Optimus Prime costume (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/cosplay/goki_matrix.jpg). At the time George knew nothing about Transformers but asked me to explain it to him. He's such a nice and genuine guy and now he's actually voiced a Transformer!! Aaah, so awesome. :)

And the basic story of Prowl, Jazz, Yoketron and Cyber Ninjutsu in this story was well done IMO. I've personally cringed at all prior portrayals of "martial arts" in this show - being just so far removed from anything resembling martial arts in reality... while the actual physical aspects are still unrealistic (although amped up to a more fantastic level making it easier to suspend disbelief), I found the core philosophy of Cyber Ninjutsu here to be more in-line with reality.
e.g.:

+ Starting with nothing (i.e.: starting at the beginning with the bare basics)

+ The individual being more important than weaponry - reminds me of what goes through my mind when people ask "What's the best style of martial art?" - the answer differs for each individual. At the end it's more about finding a teacher/school/style that works for you as an individual. If there was one school that was fundamentally superior to all others, then it would have wiped out every other school centuries ago and all other styles would be extinct. Of course, this only applies to schools/styles created before the advent of sub-machine guns, since then martial arts evolution has hit a brick wall (since it's not really used in warfare anymore, unless you can ignore laws of reality and fight like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX8Y5-BZLaM);)).

+ The whole Zen-Buddhist aspect of letting go of emotional attachment as it's the path to the Dark Side.

They've made Prowl and Jazz into Jedi with Lockdown as a Sith - that's COOL! :D
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.
- Jedi Code

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
- Sith Code

Although both Prowl has accepted additional modifications like Lockdown, unlike Lockdown he doesn't allow himself to become emotionally attached to his mods and thus consumed by greed (as is what turns Jedi to Sith, e.g.: Anakin Skywalker --> Darth Vader).

so far, this is the best season of a cartoon since Beast Wars.
I concur. This series has more of a continuous story arc and less stand-alone episodes, which is like Beast Wars/Machines. The depth and complexity of the stories is also improving a lot - we can see the writers shifting toward making an appeal toward adults, which was my main gripe with Season 1 and parts of Season 2. There's still plenty of transforming robot action to keep kids entertained too. And as I keep saying, kids aren't stupid. It's not as if they can't appreciate a good story. As Michael McConnohie said, that was one of the strengths of Transformers G1 over a lot of other cartoons around the time - it didn't talk down to children as much (McConnohie cited "The God Gambit" as one of his favourite eps in terms of being a very deep and meaningful story from the G1 cartoon).

hmmm, I may have to get Samurai Prowl now, GG Hasbro, GG.
+1

Hope Sentinel's around a bit longer... He needs to meet up with Blackarachnia!
Nice idea - hadn't thought of that! :)

-----

P.S.: The possible meaning of Yoketron:

In Japanese the word "Yoke" (除け) can mean to 'guard' (e.g. どろ除け = "mud guard," what we call a mudflap on vehicles). A charm that is meant to defend someone against evil spirits is called a "Akuma-yoke" (悪魔除け). There is another meaning for "yoke" (避け) which is "to withdraw" or "to dodge", but I reckon it's the former. Took me a while to think of it as a lot of the voice actors were mispronouncing it as "Yokitron" - the correct pronunciation is said like, "Yo-Keh-Tron."

There's also a similar Kanji (余) that is also pronounced as "yo" but in Cantonese is "Yee," the surname of Ben Yee. The only difference being the absence of the left radical. The meaning is different though - in this case it means "more than." However this Kanji isn't used in conjunction with "-ke" so you can't make the word "Yoke" out of it (instead it is proceeded by "-ri" becoming "yori").

Make of that what you will. :p

kup
28th March 2009, 07:47 PM
A great episode!

I am glad to see that this season is not going back to the old tedious pattern of before and that so far we are getting fairly decent episodes in a row instead of the opposite as in previous seasons.

If this continues for the rest of the season I would also say that this would be the best Transformers season since Beast Wars Season 2 and ranking high up there too. If the previous seasons had been like this instead of so 'meh', this would definitely would have been one of the greatest TF TV series ever made.

Sentinel still suffers a little too much of the 'office jerk' stereotype cliche but they managed to balance it all out with a well told story. This episodes felt much more balanced just like a BW episode in which there are plenty of kiddy and humor elements but it doesn't overwhelm or take focus away from the main story and neither does it make you cringe to the point of turning it off (like Sari and Human villain episodes in previous seasons).

MV75
28th March 2009, 10:21 PM
Funny you mention bw, this season dwarves bw in every way. The first 2 seasons seemed to be on par with bw as they both shared single story episodes on single characters. BUT, animated also revisted characters through out instead of forgetting them and moving to the next.

This is THE reset of the series that will be remembered as we remember g1. And ending at season 3, they arn't following the g1 mistake of going too long past the used by.

kup
29th March 2009, 01:09 AM
Funny you mention bw, this season dwarves bw in every way. The first 2 seasons seemed to be on par with bw as they both shared single story episodes on single characters. BUT, animated also revisted characters through out instead of forgetting them and moving to the next.

This is THE reset of the series that will be remembered as we remember g1. And ending at season 3, they arn't following the g1 mistake of going too long past the used by.

That's a bold statement given the Season just barely begun. It is starting great but I wouldn't ditch Beast War's mostly high quality run just for a strong Animated third season start.

Sky Shadow
29th March 2009, 09:00 AM
The first 2 seasons seemed to be on par with bw as they both shared single story episodes on single characters. BUT, animated also revisted characters through out instead of forgetting them and moving to the next.

That's... not what Beast Wars was about at all. There were only twenty-four characters in Beast Wars from the beginning to the end, and that includes minor cameos like Cicadacon, Sea Clamp and Ram Horn. There were fifty-two episodes of Beast Wars. For Beast Wars to have had single story episodes on single characters and then forget them and move onto the next, would require at least twenty-eight episodes to be nothing but twenty-three minutes of dead air. Beast Wars was the most coherently layered and continuity-faithful series that Transformers ever had.

Animated is definitely better than the G1 cartoon - after the pilot 'movie', TFA had some weak episodes in the first season, but since then it's been all class.

GoktimusPrime
29th March 2009, 09:28 AM
When did Beast Wars "forget" about characters and move onto the next? That happened a lot in G1 but I don't remember that happening in BW. A lot of characters died in BW at Hasbro's behest.

I'd say Animated Season 3 - thus far - comes close to BW but I don't think it supercedes it. It doesn't yet have the same epic scale that we got from Beast Wars. But as kup said, it's still early days. Also, as good as this season is, it doesn't change how campy Season 1 and parts of Season 2 were (IMHO). To me, Animated pretty much sucked for most of Season 1 (until Megatron returned), was pretty much hit and miss in Season 2, and Season 3 is mostly really good. But with Beast Wars, I pretty much love that entire series. Not a big fan of "The Low Road" but most other people seem to like that ep. :)

Also, remember that Animated is becoming successful in a time where Transformers is already tremendously popular. As Hasbro's data presented at Toy Fair showed, Transformers sales skyrocketed with the 2007 movie. Beast Wars on the other hand became successful at a time when Transformers was nearly dead and it breathed new life into Transformers and brought it back.

And ending at season 3, they arn't following the g1 mistake of going too long past the used by.
I think the problems with G1 were:
+ A big shift toward fantasy (scifi) alt modes as opposed to realistic ones.
+ The introduction of Action Masters who dominated the line.

After all that, they then made the mistake of "going too long past used by" was with G2.

Sky Shadow
29th March 2009, 09:53 AM
I think the problems with G1 were:
+ A big shift toward fantasy (scifi) alt modes as opposed to realistic ones.
+ The introduction of Action Masters who dominated the line.

I don't think it was just Action Masters, but one problem with the last two years of US Transformers toys was that unlike the variety of all the the previous years, all that US fans could buy in 1989-90 were Pretenders, Micromasters and Action Masters. Which wasn't a good selling technique for any fans who have a knee-jerk aversion to those gimmicks. (Personally I love those things though.) Plus the packaging was ugly for a while there - when I first saw the new 1989 Micromaster and Pretender packaging, I thought they were knockoffs. Add that to a lack of a cartoon (good or bad) and the fact that the original fans were growing up and it's no wonder that sales took a hit. Sadly, the Marvel comic was at its best during that period and killed off in its prime.

(And I think MV75 was meaning to imply that the G1 cartoon went past its 'use by' date, not the toyline.)

MV75
29th March 2009, 10:58 AM
(And I think MV75 was meaning to imply that the G1 cartoon went past its 'use by' date, not the toyline.)

Yes, the cartoon. G1 should have ended at the movie. I thought that was the current topic flow.....

I won't bother Debating Goktimus as he's wearing his bw rose tinted glasses. I'm new to both cartoons so I can see the similarities and differences in the here and now.

Also, I think they did jump the gun on the jet twins by releasing the toy early. If I had seen them in the cartoon before the toys, I would have gotten the toy for sure as their characters are pretty good.

kup
29th March 2009, 12:07 PM

I don't think it was due to a 'passed use by date' factor. More of an ill thought out change of direction.

- Too much Sci-Fi
- Too much Daniel
- Too much Wheelie
- Too much lame characters in general
- Bad execution of villain in most cases (mad Galvatron)
- Super retarded Grimlock with an apron.

Sky Shadow
29th March 2009, 01:30 PM
I don't think it was due to a 'passed use by date' factor. More of an ill thought out change of direction.

- Super retarded Grimlock with an apron.

Good thing that went the way of the dinosaurs. Oh, hold on. Crap.

(I can't believe TakaraTomy chose to not include the crown and yet *keep* the apron. At the moment, that's cost them my Masterpiece Grimlock patronage.)

And to link Transformers G1 season 3 back to the topic...

"Five Servos of Doom"... that's a bit like "Five Faces of Darkness", isn't it?

(Phew.)

griffin
29th March 2009, 02:49 PM
I thought that was the point of the title. I just didn't mention it because it seemed too obvious with it not actually meaning anything to the episode.
Otherwise, if I'm wrong, what are the 'five servos of doom'?

Kyle
29th March 2009, 03:02 PM
I thought that was the point of the title. I just didn't mention it because it seemed too obvious with it not actually meaning anything to the episode.
Otherwise, if I'm wrong, what are the 'five servos of doom'?

I seem to recall Yoketron calling one of their moves "Five Servos of Doom" in the episode. I need to rewatch.

Think it's meant to sound like one of those 70s kung fu movies from Hong Kong:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Fingers_of_Death

The managed to find something that sounds like a kung fu movie and at the same time "Five Faces of Darkness". Very nice. :p

SMHFConvoy
29th March 2009, 04:52 PM
Yoketron calling one of their moves "Five Servos of Doom" in the episode.

Yep it's a move. The episode doesn'y really have anything to do with the old G1 episode, "Five Faces of Doom"

GoktimusPrime
29th March 2009, 06:38 PM
I don't think it was just Action Masters,
No, but I believe it was Rob Jung who once said that Action Masters were the nail that sealed the coffin for G1.

- Too much Sci-Fi
I don't think the level of scifi was a bad thing. But I think that it could've been executed and it was often overshadowed by the overwhelming presence of Daniel and Wheelie. The G1 comics, Beast Wars and now Animated have a scifi theme but done much better.

- Bad execution of villain in most cases (mad Galvatron)
Graaargh yes! Crazy Galvatron was so incredibly LAME. (-_-)

(I can't believe TakaraTomy chose to not include the crown and yet *keep* the apron. At the moment, that's cost them my Masterpiece Grimlock patronage.)
I'm not surprised. After all, the G1 Marvel comics were never published in Japan so the crown wouldn't hold the same meaning for Japanese fans as it would for us gaijin scumWestern fans.

Hopefully Hasbro will include it with their version. It would absolutely make sense for their market. But I wouldn't hold my breath. Knowing Hasbro they'll claim that the crown would've made the toy too expensive, but still charge us $150 for the toy anyway. (-_-)

Sky Shadow
29th March 2009, 06:53 PM
I'm not surprised. After all, the G1 Marvel comics were never published in Japan so the crown wouldn't hold the same meaning for Japanese fans as it would for us gaijin scumWestern fans.

I know, but to tempt me with the crown and then take it away - that's so much worse than just not designing it in the first place. :(

Ode to a Grasshopper
29th March 2009, 07:47 PM
I love Animated and hope so (except that the G1 toons I remember so fondly aren't actually that good in restrospect), but BW will probably still be more influential in the long run. Animated is a reinterpretation of the 'classic' G1 storyline, while BW started pretty much a complete do-over both toy- and fiction-wise and only later included as part of G1 canon - BW is ground-breaking by it's very nature, whereas to a large extent TFA is following classic conventions. In other words, TFA just has a lot more apples-to-apples competition to BWs more orangey tang, which makes it harder to make such a big impact.
Also, there's the RotF factor - it's kinda hard to compete with that level of marketing and hype, not to mention having your toyline put on hiatus. I'd be more upset about this (and still will be if we miss out on any Animated toys over here rather than just having to wait a bit longer) if some of those uprcoming remolds/redecos *cough*B******n*cough* didn't look pretty good.

Zahhak
30th March 2009, 03:23 AM
I seem to recall Yoketron calling one of their moves "Five Servos of Doom" in the episode.

Im preety sure Prowl also comments on Jazz using the same move(though it looks completely diffrent) when they first meet in season 2

i_amtrunks
30th March 2009, 01:59 PM
I was expecting the 5 servo's of doom to have more of a role in the episode.

What a great episode, it's been worth having to wait over 40 episodes to get a back story for Prowl, although now his attitude at the beginning of the series does not quite tie into how he should have behaved, but like every other main character he has grown as the series progresses. Voice acting was once again top notch, and the use of a core cast of characters both bot and con, works well, Prowl and Lockdown now have as good a history as Ratchet and Lockdown.

Anyone else now get the feeling Prowl is going to bite the bullet after that last little piece of advice Toketron left him with?

Bring on Predacons rising, as well as the 2 parter involving Soundwave in the next few weeks, (I figure that both will be Sari and Bumblebee heavy). This is easily the best transformers show we have gotten since Beast Wars.

Vector Sigma 13
30th March 2009, 07:57 PM
I wish the first two seasons had the abundance of characters this season has. Alas though all the new faces reminds me of G1 series four- and look what happened to it.:(

griffin
31st March 2009, 01:12 AM
Did anyone else think that the Sari protoform is one of Yokitron's, and if so, how or why is it on earth? They would have been too valuable for Lockdown to discard, and it would be a bit too much of a coincedence that Lockdown placed it on the one planet in the entire galaxy that megatron crashed, without knowing he was even there.

SMHFConvoy
31st March 2009, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that. I agree. Why would Lockdown leave one protoform in of all places Sumdac towers and in the very lab where Megatron's head was kept??

It's also becoming quite apparent that the Autobot elite do tend to create their own enemies...

GoktimusPrime
31st March 2009, 01:27 PM
It's also becoming quite apparent that the Autobot elite do tend to create their own enemies...
That's a very good point!! It also makes the Elite Guard an interesting political metaphor for a certain country and recent former administration! Ooooooh! :D

Golden Phoenix
31st March 2009, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that. I agree. Why would Lockdown leave one protoform in of all places Sumdac towers and in the very lab where Megatron's head was kept??

If Lockdown had the protoforms, he was probably hunted by others.
During a battle he could have lost one, his ship could have been blown up or he had to jettison cargo ala beast wars
Pod could have had some auto search thing and found the closest cybertronian: Megatron

Tetsuwan Convoy
1st April 2009, 03:49 AM
This ep was great! I notice that in a lot of season 3, Protoforms have been getting a strong mention. Wonder what/who else will come fom PFs?

Anybody else think that now the Elite Guard have Megatron's top warriors, we will be seeing more of the Char group as they move up the ranks?

I was glad to finally find out why Prowl didn't complete his Cyber ninja training and find more about his thoughts on life. Was cool to see he was a pacifist and that the TFs had the Draft running back in the day.

Warpath as a Cyberninja? NIIIICE! Walk quietly, but carry a big BOOM stick!:D Would love to have a toy of WP now... Dammit, its been so good with this season. Cant wait for more!!!!!!!

GoktimusPrime
1st April 2009, 09:48 AM
Warpath as a Cyberninja? NIIIICE! Walk quietly, but carry a big BOOM stick!
Stealth would be a challenge for him - although he is more softly spoken than G1 Warpath. Of course, that's not hard. ;)

Does anyone remember the Benny Hill parody of the A-Team where B.A. Baracus (Mr. T's character) was trying to sneak around, but his bling kept on jingling. The rest of the A Team disapproved so he took off the bling and continued sneaking - and kept jingling without the jewellery! XD *cue chase music*

Perhaps Animated Warpath's motto could be, "Quit your jibba-jabba!" :D