PDA

View Full Version : Scalpel Gallery.

griffin
12th April 2009, 02:12 PM
Another huge gallery, this time of the Scalpel toy (called The Doctor in the Movie).

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/extensive-gallery-of-transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen-scout-class-scalpel-aka-the-doctor-167268/

GoktimusPrime
12th April 2009, 03:28 PM
Oh wow - that's cool! I love how he's a microscope. :)

It's almost as if Magnificus has made his way into the movie! :D

kup
12th April 2009, 03:31 PM
I think its horrible - Very unimaginative robot mode design. There is no challenge as basically anything can be made into a bug by giving it legs.

The TF2 movie line as a whole has been a real downer for me so far.

snazzbot 101
12th April 2009, 04:36 PM
I think its horrible - Very unimaginative robot mode design. There is no challenge as basically anything can be made into a bug by giving it legs.

The TF2 movie line as a whole has been a real downer for me so far.

I'm a fan of the movie-aesthetic but yeah, a lot of the new stuff is leaving me non-plussed as well.

Pipesqueak
12th April 2009, 09:17 PM
Does nothing for me I'm afraid. Give me any of the last movie's Real Gear line over this, despite the cool alt mode.

Bartrim
12th April 2009, 11:43 PM
I'm a huge fan of the movie franchise but hardly anything from ROTF has got me interested so far.

Robzy
13th April 2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah, it seems to be a common reaction from most TF fans (especially on this forum)... I too think most of the ROTF(LMAO) figures are uninspiring!

snazzbot 101
13th April 2009, 07:16 PM
Yeah, it seems to be a common reaction from most TF fans (especially on this forum)... I too think most of the ROTF(LMAO) figures are uninspiring!

Uninspiring is definitely the word. Most of the current standouts for me are the updates of Movie 1 characters like Leader Optimus and Starscream. The rest feel like... variations on a common theme.

dirge
13th April 2009, 10:49 PM
Must... find... Transformers... which... make... me... want... to... buy.

First Animated, now this and the zord combiner thing... lean times for me ):

Lord_Zed
13th April 2009, 11:18 PM
Just to be different I think that's kinda niffty, not sure If I'll get it though buts its a nice change from the normal TF asthetic. Not as cool as that biplane guy though, he's the clear winner of these scouts! :D

GoktimusPrime
13th April 2009, 11:27 PM
I agree. :) It's interesting seeing another "appliance" alt mode (we had Frenzy in the first movie who was both a CD player and mobile phone) - and at that size, it makes sense that his robot mode needn't be humanoid. Nobody complained that Frenzy was a tribute to Megabolt Megatron when he was a mobile phone! (okay, granted he was decapitated by a girl :p)

I still want a proper Dispensor action figure, damnit! ;)

kup
14th April 2009, 01:46 AM
Aside from the alt mode chosen, there is nothing clever about this toy. It's not hard to make random things look like bugs and regardless, the engineering of this toy is simplistic even for that.

Kudos on alt mode innovation but bad points in being a transformer.

Basically, there is no challenge of design here when you can make any sort of bug or monster robot by twisting alt mode parts around into an abstract shape that vaguely resembles arms or make a microscope with bug legs and call it a robot mode. Yeah the excuse is that they are 'aliens' but to me smells of 'Hey! They are aliens so we can twist any shape out of the alt mode and call it a robot and save lots on R&D'

Lord_Zed
14th April 2009, 07:23 PM
Aside from the alt mode chosen, there is nothing clever about this toy. It's not hard to make random things look like bugs and regardless, the engineering of this toy is simplistic even for that.

Kudos on alt mode innovation but bad points in being a transformer.

Basically, there is no challenge of design here when you can make any sort of bug or monster robot by twisting alt mode parts around into an abstract shape that vaguely resembles arms or make a microscope with bug legs and call it a robot mode. Yeah the excuse is that they are 'aliens' but to me smells of 'Hey! They are aliens so we can twist any shape out of the alt mode and call it a robot and save lots on R&D'

I disagree, this bug clearly has a praying mantis like asthetic, I caught it as soon as I saw it. It is not a microscope with legs, nor is it Armadas lazerbeak camera with wings. If we were to compare him to most of the Real Gear TF's from the previous movie line, this bug would stand up fine. I fail to see how the enginering in this toy is anymore simplistic than say lets make a box that turns into a humanoid, as was the case for several of the Real Gears.

I'm not saying this toy is anything amazing but nor do I think its a travesty either.

kup
14th April 2009, 08:29 PM
The legs are inside a shell at the base and the 'body' of the bug mode (thorax and head) are basically the 'body' and 'neck' folded down and twisted a bit. For me the Praying mantis illusion is ruined by the tiny claws.

I respectfully disagree on the merits of this 'bug' mode.

griffin
14th April 2009, 11:48 PM
Keep in mind that this is a toy built to resemble something Bay's team had created. It isn't just a case of 'turn a microscope into a bug creature, and be free to make it look weird if you want'. Think FAB Frenzy - it wasn't the best looking toy and was very fiddley, but that's what we ended up with for Hasbro to create a toy replicating that movie character and its alt-mode.
Scalpel's bug mode does a good job resembling the movie character (from pics seen so far), and we just have to wait to see what the alt mode actually looks like in the movie as well.

GoktimusPrime
15th April 2009, 12:19 AM
And I would much prefer a simplified toy that can still transform to all modes seen in the movie, like FAB Frenzy, over a more movie-accurate toy that can't, like Constructicon Devastator.

So to me Dr.Scalpel >>> C.Devastator. (-_-)

kup
15th April 2009, 12:32 AM
If in IMO the toy is lacking; only the movie itself could persuade me to buy but for that the story and characters need to be good.

kup
15th April 2009, 11:02 AM
Maybe this character is not so bad afterall :p

..Michael Bay, your director, says it was a large prop of some kind that caught you, which he didn't want to identify or describe because it's a plot spoiler. He also says he dropped to his knees as soon as he heard someone on the set say, "There's blood."

They stitched me up in a military hospital. The doctor looks at me and he holds his thumb and forefinger about an inch apart from one another. I said, "What is that?" He said, "Blindness." This is the most insane s--- I've ever been a part of.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/04/shia-labeouf.html

joking aside, Shiah despite his off set hijinks has demonstrated a lot of professionalism in dealing with his carreer and injuries.

Note: I think there is a bit of exaggeration here as Shia permanently loosing sight while filming would have set the media world on fire.