PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Spotlight: Blaster

STL
6th February 2008, 03:31 AM
It is my intention to begin reviewing the majority of comics that pass through the IDW stable in the hope of promoting comics. Understandably, the toys and their engineering are foremost of any collectors mind but of equal relevance I believe is the fiction behind these characters. These stories give them the spark that we find so alluring, that have capitvated us and helped us to return to the fold. It is these that have allowed G1 to transcend.

I'd like to also preface my reviews by saying that I will attempt to write these in a way that objectively weighs these stories up but as spoiler free as possible. This is b/c I don't want to take away the reading experience. I just want to give you enough of a peek, a taste, so that you can venture out there and decide for yourselves. Bare with me, I'm new at this and I'm fully aware of how hard it is to write as such.
__________________________________________________ _____________

By: Simon Furman (scribe), Emiliano Santalucia (artist)

Plot: Blaster embarks on a mystery to find out who orchestrated his assassination.

Appearances of Interest: Silverbolt, Blaster, Beachcomber, Bluestreak, Inferno, Trypticon, Predacon, Perceptor, Fortress Maximus.

Covers: Emiliano's cover really gives a G1 comic and toy vibe. There isn't as much happening in the background to give context like Milne's but that's because of the nature of the cover. Emiliano's given us a close up of Blaster in the background while in the foreground we have Blaster warily striding towards us.

The Milne Retail Incentive one resonates of a cartoon one. There is more atmosphere to Milne's cover because of the background work. I do like Milne's cover better but that's only because it features the cassettes and I'm partial to the G1 cartoon. I do believe that this is the work Milne is suited too. Covers. The vast majority of his covers are among the best IDW have offered to date. He's not far behind Don in my mind as a TF cover artist and this is a cover that proves it.

I notched up the Milne cover at $13. You should be able to find it for a bit more at a comic shop or a bit less online.

Art: Emiliano Santalucia is Brasillian artist whose landed his first TF gig. He is a major fan and his art really shows it. In his designs and selection of weaponry for the Transformers that grace this issue, there is a touch of G1 in it. There are modifications, yes, but Emiliano takes great care to incorporate the G1 elements necessary to identifying the characters as those we know and love.

He is one of the better artists in my opinion at IDW at the moment despite it being his first work. His Transformers are highly expressive and he works the angles very well. Look at the fight scenes in particular. You'll notice he handles it with an elegant grace that gives it a smooth transition from scene to scene.

Issue Review:
One of the key issues about Blaster is that he always appeared and was automatically dubbed the archnemesis of Soundwave. Given their alt modes, it was only natural. But therein lies the weakness. Just because their alt modes are both stereo systems does not mean they should be archenemies.

This Spotlight changes that.

What we have here is a cleverly spun tale from Simon Furman that not only gives life to these eternal enemies but gives context to the greater G1 story that Furman is telling in Infiltration/Escalation/Devastation. It is story that is excellent in its own right. However, in a Beast Wars type of way, because it is part of a larger universe, you feel there's a larger payoff if you've been following the IDW G1 mainstory.

Blaster's role amongst the Autobots is redefined. We learn that he is more than just the cheery old voice amongst the Autobot ranks. He is considered the "Voice". An inspirational, motivational and riveting member of the Autobot ranks that is a vital cog in the Autobot machinery of war. A war that has lasted for millions of years. It forces us to uncomfortably remember that though Transformers are robots, they too are not immune from the rigours of war. Even more so, they have been at it for eons. It cannot be easy. And Blaster's role is imperative.

So you can imagine when there is an attempt on his spark, the Autobots are thrown into disarray. And you can see why vitality is necessary and this war is not something to be just accepted. I think the concept of war in TF fandom isn't as pronounced as it is in other fiction. In my mind, this is in large part to the fact we're dealing with robots. Robots are supposed to endure. They may be casualities but they are one step removed from a glaring tale involving people. I think this issue helps to redefine that. It makes the Autobots "human".

In this vein, I'd like to see someone define this side of the Decepticons. What motivates them to persist with a war that has lasted for eons? It is more than just an unquenchable thirst for power. To fight a war for so long without achieving utter domination requires a lot of psychological strength.

Anyhow, enough of my diversions. Blaster recovers from his attack and begins a hunt for the assailant back by Silverbolt and Perceptor. The assailant isn't who you'd think it is though. And that's part of the fun. You. Won't. See. It. Coming.

And that's why this issue is wonderful. It breaks the conventional paradigms of what we expect to see when we hear a Blaster or Soundwave story. And I hope I haven't said too much.

There is also a brief appearance by the much revered Fortress Maximus that implies he's leading a force of Autobots. Something to look forward to in the IDW universe.

Quibbles:
I do take issue with the way in which the assassin is revealed. The backstory is awfully rushed and you can't at times help feel but it is slightly forced. Why in Primus did Silverbolt's squad not investigate the matter prior to Blaster recovering?

[B]Overall: 8.5/10
The art is exceptional and the writing in this spotlight makes this as an individual story stand strongly on its own unlike other issues. What though is worth the price of entry is to have your preconceived notions of TF lore broken in a smart and intelligent way. Highly recommend.

Soundwarp
6th February 2008, 07:12 AM
What does these comics set you back each month?

Paulbot
6th February 2008, 08:51 AM
Understandably, the toys and their engineering are foremost of any collectors mind but of equal relevance I believe is the fiction behind these characters.

For some. I'd say Im 40% Transformers Toy collector and 60% Transformers Comic collector.

One of the key issues about Blaster is that he always appeared and was automatically dubbed the archnemesis of Soundwave. Given their alt modes, it was only natural.

Except in the G1 comics where Blaster and Soundwave were seldom even in the same comic.

I read that one of Furman's intentions with this comic was to try to blend the fun Cartoon Blaster and the serious warrior Comic Blaster which he did do but I don't know how successful it was.

I do enjoy the idea of Blaster as the Autobot's propoganda agent.

1orion2many
6th February 2008, 09:10 AM
What does these comics set you back each month?

:(I think I pay $6.95 an issue but can't remember for sure as I pick up a few issues at a time;). I can remember when comics cost 12 cents each:eek:.

i_amtrunks
6th February 2008, 09:50 AM
I think the Transformers comics cost between $6.50 and $7.50 an issue, which is strange as TPB prices varies on how well the US$-AU$ is going.

I liked this Spotlight, even if it was a little "paint by numbers". Furman mixed together Cartoon and Comic Blaster fairly well, setup a good rivalry with Blaster and Soundwave, introduced a couple of new characters, confirmed Inferno survived the airship falling on him and Grapple in Megatron: Origins, and gave Blaster a very nice Cybertronian Alt mode.

Nice cameo by Kup too (fighting alongside Fortress), shows that the Autobots were throwing everyone onto the warfront.

STL
6th February 2008, 10:32 AM
Individual prices for me are $5.75, Soundwarp. But the place I get comics from is the cheapest in Australia so you're more likely to be looking at between $7-8. If it's going to cost you more than that (last time I was in Brisbane, I was surprised by the higher prices), let me know and I can hook you up with issues for $6.75 (including postage)

If that's expensive for you, the tradepaperback of the spotlights are collected every 9-10 months. You will behind the current arc but the price on a TPB is much cheaper than collecting individually. Generally speaking trade prices are around $26-30 for five issues. So it works out slightly cheaper unless you're able to get a good deal like I do on my individual comics.

Oh, and the other thing I forgot was this issue settled whether or not TF Mosaic featuring Silverbolt was a concurrent arc.I remember not being able to place where I'd seen Silverbolt before but was sure he'd appeared at IDW. Guess I'd seen a preview from here.

I should mention we get to see diaclone coloured Bluestreak here. It was a nice little treat for me.

GoktimusPrime
6th February 2008, 10:58 AM
The assailant isn't who you'd think it is though. And that's part of the fun. You. Won't. See. It. Coming.
...actually, I totally saw it coming. I was hoping that it wouldn't be who I thought it was - that there would be some twist to surprise me... but erm... it didn't. I fully predicted who the assailant was. The assailant's motive wasn't all that surprising either. Not necessarily Furman's fault though... the artist's attempt at obscuring the assailant's identity didn't work on me - I saw right through it. Meh.

I read that one of Furman's intentions with this comic was to try to blend the fun Cartoon Blaster and the serious warrior Comic Blaster which he did do but I don't know how successful it was.

I thought it was reasonably well blended - it was as if Blaster's "cartoon" persona was a facade - an 'on-show' personality that he put on when he was on air to rally the troops and boost morale, whereas in reality he was more like his G1 comic persona. And I think that combination worked well.

Nice cameo by Kup too (fighting alongside Fortress), shows that the Autobots were throwing everyone onto the warfront.
Other neat cameos I liked were Brave Maximus and Landfill. And there's also a yellow and black robot.. is that SALT-MAN-Z?! (o_O)

roller
6th February 2008, 11:02 AM
having Lee Harvey Oswald turn out to be the assassin was pure genius on Mr Furmans part, en bravius el elctrum [latin for 'brave people get electrum']

Pipesqueak
6th February 2008, 11:42 AM
Generally speaking trade prices are around $26-30 for five issues.

One comic shop in Adelaide wanted $48 for the first Spotlight TP!!

TheDirtyDigger
6th February 2008, 12:09 PM
Just on a sidenote: I will always take a TPB over individual issues because:-

-No ads
-Fits in the bookcase nicely
-Better price
-You can read the whole story in one fulfilling session instead of getting a 4 minute fix once a month that leaves you hanging for the next issue
-No ads (although Marvel and DC are the worse for this chucking in an ad every three pages)

GoktimusPrime
6th February 2008, 02:38 PM
The good thing about IDW is that the ads are all chucked up in the back instead of breaking up the story like Marvel does.

springah
6th February 2008, 03:17 PM
I went to the local comic place yesterday to find out what IDW have to offer.. I didn't have $500 to spend though..

Spotlight series will have a trade one day.. right?

Fungal Infection
6th February 2008, 03:36 PM
I'd lend you mine Shanty-man but you still owe me my Clerks comics..... :p

roller
6th February 2008, 04:01 PM
Wheres the beef?

Fungal Infection
6th February 2008, 04:07 PM
Ha! Roller knows his shit!!

STL
6th February 2008, 05:49 PM
Just on a sidenote: I will always take a TPB over individual issues because:-

-No ads
-Fits in the bookcase nicely
-Better price
-You can read the whole story in one fulfilling session instead of getting a 4 minute fix once a month that leaves you hanging for the next issue

I do agree them sitting on the shelf much more nicely. That's a definite plus for those of us with multiple hobbies. However, I think there is still a place for individual comics. My reasons:

- Covers: it's great to be able to pick up a comic and just marvel at the cover. A TPB has one cover and you have to flip inside to see the cover you want. It's a lovely piece of art. For Transformers comics, I have gotten more variants than of any other comic series I've ever read.
- Serial format: written well, this leaves you wanting more, makes you ponder between issues and expands your enjoyment of comics.
- Supporting the comic: if you like a comic enough it's important that you support it b/c many comics depend on their monthly circulation to sell in TP format. If it does generate a decent buzz at the comic level, it's unlikely to succeed at TPB level. The exception to this tends to be Vertigo.

Those are the primary reasons why I do buy comics individually though for stuff I care less about with not so attractive covers, it's gone to trade.

One comic shop in Adelaide wanted $48 for the first Spotlight TP!!

That is crazy. If you do need help, let some of us in the other states know. I could ship it to you for $26 if need be.

I went to the local comic place yesterday to find out what IDW have to offer.. I didn't have $500 to spend though..

Spotlight series will have a trade one day.. right?

They already do. My recommendation is try this from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Premiere-HC/dp/1600101186

It collects over 500 pages of Transformer stories at a great prce and not at $500. It should set you back only about $80-90 on Amazon I took some pics of mine in this thread here:

http://otca.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=3270&view=findpost&p=46317

springah
6th February 2008, 05:59 PM
I'd lend you mine Shanty-man but you still owe me my Clerks comics..... :p

YOU! i KNEW you were around!! i got them here damn you haha.

also im on holidays for 3 weeks, lemmie know when!

Soundwarp
6th February 2008, 07:59 PM
Well i might have to raid Griff's collection because thats a good price to subscribe to.

Lord_Zed
6th February 2008, 10:04 PM
Overall I thought it was a good issue, hardly my favourte though. Despite his pacifist like nature, Beachcomber gave away his guilt with his expression in every panel I think. So the mystery could have been handled better, but Blasters character was good, as has been said before shades of both the comic and the cartoon.

Other neat cameos I liked were Brave Maximus and Landfill. And there's also a yellow and black robot.. is that SALT-MAN-Z?! (o_

No one's mentioned Spinster, Needlenose, Dreadwind, and Pincher to add to the funky cameos.

I like the way Simon Furman and the IDW comic use characters from the broad spectrum of the G1 universe, rather than being boged down by the original toy chronology.

STL
6th February 2008, 10:35 PM
Overall I thought it was a good issue, hardly my favourte though. Despite his pacifist like nature, Beachcomber gave away his guilt with his expression in every panel I think. So the mystery could have been handled better, but Blasters character was good, as has been said before shades of both the comic and the cartoon.

No one's mentioned Spinster, Needlenose, Dreadwind, and Pincher to add to the funky cameos.

I like the way Simon Furman and the IDW comic use characters from the broad spectrum of the G1 universe, rather than being boged down by the original toy chronology.

There's also Overdrive, Trailbreaker, Downshift, Chase, Dogfight, Crosshairs, Getaway and a few others. I've deliberately neglected a key character to the subplot so as to make the read a bit more surprising.

Sam
6th February 2008, 11:55 PM
I mostly enjoyed this spotlight issue, but the identity of the would-be-assassin and his reasons were a bit of a letdown.

STL
7th February 2008, 12:14 AM
I mostly enjoyed this spotlight issue, but the identity of the would-be-assassin and his reasons were a bit of a letdown.

Like Gok, I ascertained who it would be by the time they showed us shadows of the assassin. My mind then raced for all the reasons and I came up with a few tenable ones. However, the actual rationale did leave me slightly disappointed.

springah
7th February 2008, 10:38 AM
...actually, I totally saw it coming. I was hoping that it wouldn't be who I thought it was - that there would be some twist to surprise me... but erm... it didn't. I fully predicted who the assailant was. The assailant's motive wasn't all that surprising either. Not necessarily Furman's fault though... the artist's attempt at obscuring the assailant's identity didn't work on me - I saw right through it. Meh.

Lame.

Also wont bother getting it any more, stupid spoilers!

STL
7th February 2008, 10:55 AM
Lame.

Also wont bother getting it any more, stupid spoilers!

I don't think that's the key to the issue though. There's more important other elements in there imo. The mystery isn't really where the strength of this book lies. It goes deeper than that

Paulbot
7th February 2008, 07:58 PM
Because of the solitication for an upcomming Spotlight I thought the culprit was going to be someone else. :)

bassbot
20th February 2008, 03:19 PM
i thought it was gonna be beachcomber, but that it would have been of his own designs not a mind-chip. love the soundwave setup and thought this was a high quality spotlight. Arcee comes out this week!