PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro will be releasing Masterpiece Grimlock

GoktimusPrime
20th April 2009, 07:45 PM
Unfortunate news: I was contacted by Hasbro Consumer Services today and was told that Masterpiece Grimlock "is not available in Australia and will not be available in Australia"

(T_T)

kurdt_the_goat
20th April 2009, 07:53 PM
I assume that's the Australian branch hey? I dunno if this is much like Nintendo of Australia - who don't know anything until after it's happened.. but I wouldn't put much weight in what they say.. probably just repeating company line *for now*.

IMO, you should just get a Takara one though... forgo a bunch of crappy regular line toys you might have otherwise picked up.. as these are the kinds of Transformers we should be supporting with our money.

SGB
20th April 2009, 07:54 PM
Aw, crap.

GoktimusPrime
20th April 2009, 07:56 PM
I can't afford a Takara one. Right now I'm saving up for the new movie toys - then I'm also gonna be digging deep to help fund the convention (since we've had barely any donations) and there's something else that's happening in my personal life that's going to completely sap me of spare time and money.

So I've been personally hoping for Hasbro to release this toy locally - and they've now officially told me that this isn't going to happen. Even recommended that I go ahead and import one. Hasbro's words to me were specifically "not available in Australia and won't be available in Australia."

And yeah, it's Hasbro Australia. I walked into their office on Friday afternoon and asked them if Australia was going to get MP Grimlock. They took down my contact details and told me that they would get back to me on Monday - which they have.

Hasbro Consumer Services can be contacted on 1300138697

kurdt_the_goat
20th April 2009, 07:58 PM
Ah sorry, that sounds unfortunate. I guess i just always imagine most people on here are absolutely loaded - some single acquisitions posts dwarf my entire year's spending!

jaydisc
20th April 2009, 08:00 PM
I assume that's the Australian branch hey? I dunno if this is much like Nintendo of Australia - who don't know anything until after it's happened.. but I wouldn't put much weight in what they say.. probably just repeating company line *for now*.

IMO, you should just get a Takara one though... forgo a bunch of crappy regular line toys you might have otherwise picked up.. as these are the kinds of Transformers we should be supporting with our money.

I agree with all of that.

I don't know why people are assuming that if Hasbro does release MP-8, it's going to be priced like Hasbro Masterpiece Starscream or DVD Prime. I can't imagine Hasbro will get it out the door for less than A$150, if not at least A$200.

And I put absolutely no stock in anything Hasbro AU has to say, with their most recent fallacy being the one about no new voyagers. Inferno anyone?

GoktimusPrime
20th April 2009, 08:02 PM
I don't know why people are assuming that if Hasbro does release MP-8, it's going to be priced like Hasbro Masterpiece Starscream or DVD Prime. I can't imagine Hasbro will get it out the door for less than A$150, if not at least A$200.
Import stores here are selling MP Grimlock for $320-330. While $200 is a steep price for a MP, it's cheaper than paying import prices. How much have other people been paying for their MP Grimlocks including postage?

And I put absolutely no stock in anything Hasbro AU has to say, with their most recent fallacy being the one about no new voyagers. Inferno anyone?
Well I really hope that you're right on this one.

blackie
20th April 2009, 08:09 PM
Import stores here are selling MP Grimlock for $320-330. While $200 is a steep price for a MP, it's cheaper than paying import prices. How much have other people been paying for their MP Grimlocks including postage?

Well I really hope that you're right on this one.

~180 shipped to Melbourne from toywholesaler, and that will most likely be the best price we will ever see unless something happens to the economy bigtime and the yen or USD drops further against the AUD

Robzy
20th April 2009, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I don't really trust Hasbro Aus either (not that I think they're lying, just that they often say one thing and then it turns out differently).

But it's disappointing news if it's true! :(

Paulbot
20th April 2009, 08:26 PM
Unfortunate news: I was contacted by Hasbro Consumer Services today and was told that Masterpiece Grimlock "is not available in Australia and will not be available in Australia"

(T_T)

Did they say ever?

And really is this that surprising? You know it's not available. Will it be available? They've released 2 out of 8 Masterpiece toys as Target Exclusives. The odds were never in the favour of it coming out here.

Ask again when Hasbro has announced a US release.

Oilspill
20th April 2009, 08:27 PM
I missed out on the toywholesaler thing, but with shipping from RK it was about $230. Cheaper than those import shops by a long way.

gamblor916
20th April 2009, 08:44 PM
Given how strong it has been selling I wouldn't be surprised that there'll be a re-release in the near future anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think every MP has been released at least twice.

jaydisc
20th April 2009, 09:40 PM
I'd also add that for Takara has been in the habit of restocking each monthly release once on the following month's release date. If I'm right, most stores should have more stock on the 25th. Also, shingstar1982 has a bunch (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?type=4&campid=5336043815&toolid=10001&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com.au%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Fsofocus%3Dbs%26sbrftog%3D1%26dfsp%3D32% 26satitle%3Dgrimlock%26sacat%3D-1%2526catref%253DC6%26bs%3DSearch%26sadis%3D200%26 fpos%3D3071%26sabfmts%3D1%26ga10244%3D10425%26sacq yop%3Dge%26sacqy%3D%26dfs%3D20090320%26dfts%3D-1%26dfe%3D20090320%26dfte%3D-1%26sabdlo%3D%26sabdhi%3D%26saprclo%3D%26saprchi%3 D%26seller%3D1%26sass%3Dshingstar1982%26fsop%3D32% 2526fsoo%253D2%26fgtp%3D[) at all different currencies and styles, as low as $222 (normal auction) (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?type=2&campid=5336043815&toolid=10001&customid=&ext=250406858631&item=250406858631) or $236 (Buy it Now) (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?type=2&campid=5336043815&toolid=10001&customid=&ext=260382638485&item=260382638485)

Golden Phoenix
20th April 2009, 10:51 PM
We are also bound to get all the returns, QC rejects and left over stock in Target for a fraction of the price, right before a sale in about a year or 2.
You'll be able to get a Grimlock in perfect condition...except it may be missing teeth, toes, eyes, claws.....

FFN
20th April 2009, 10:52 PM
Hasbro's design team has been pushing for a Grimlock toy for years. As I recall, at last year's Botcon panel, they said they would release TakaraTomy's if they did him first. Tformers asked TakaraTomy representatives who confirmed they were working on MP Grimlock at the time.

I think the fact prototype pics showed the Marvel comics crown means a Hasbro release is likely.

kup
20th April 2009, 10:57 PM
I think that they are saying "No" when they should be saying 'We have no information at this time'

If an American Hasbro release happens (which will) Australia will get it some time after.

griffin
21st April 2009, 12:54 AM
So I've been personally hoping for Hasbro to release this toy locally - and they've now officially told me that this isn't going to happen. Even recommended that I go ahead and import one. Hasbro's words to me were specifically "not available in Australia and won't be available in Australia."

Since you were asking about Masterpiece Grimlock, and they replied with the present tense of "not available in Australia and won't be available in Australia", it's obvious they are talking about the current (JP) version. They didn't seem to refer to the unreleased future (hasbro) version. We already know that Grimlock was Hasbro's baby, not TakaraTomy's, so whatever Hasbro ends up calling it, we might still get it.

Alternatively, they could have already planned the rest of the year (stock release schedule), and couldn't get any retailers here to take the Hasbro Grimlock, and are letting us know in advance to import one (JP one now, or the US one later).

They only ever specifically mentioned Animated, not Universe. It's not fair to misquote them on that one when there are actual 'errors' you can quote.
But to be fair, they have more correct info than incorrect info. Claiming that EVERYTHING they say shouldn't be believed, is like punishing a community because of one or two bad members.

Gutsman Heavy
21st April 2009, 01:09 AM
we might get '25th Aniverasry Grimlock', or 'Universe Ultimate Grinklock' instead. I'd be surprised if we didn't get it in some way.

STL
21st April 2009, 01:19 AM
I don't think one has to be Einstein to figure out that as far as Hasbro's current operating plan goes, Masterpiece Grimlock is hardly a priority at the moment when we're on the cusp of the release of one of the year's biggest movies whcih happens to star Transformers.

Expect it in due course but don't be surprised if at the moment they have no plans currently. Figured it'd be painfully obvious. Remember, last movie took up almost over 2 years worth of stuff. That's what I fear will repeat but I'm sure Hasbro want that to happen and milk it for every $$$ it can get

Adzma
21st April 2009, 09:20 AM
Ouch, that sucks Gok. :( I find it annoying also because I was planning on buying a local release as well so I could have one displayed in each mode. Now I have to choose which one he'll stay in for the remainder of his existence. Lame...

jaydisc
21st April 2009, 10:41 AM
They only ever specifically mentioned Animated, not Universe. It's not fair to misquote them on that one when there are actual 'errors' you can quote.
But to be fair, they have more correct info than incorrect info. Claiming that EVERYTHING they say shouldn't be believed, is like punishing a community because of one or two bad members.

Fair enough in that I wasn't present for that quote. However, in every bit of direct contact I've had with them (approximately three instances), they were wrong 100% of the time.

snazzbot 101
21st April 2009, 08:22 PM
It sounds like a fiction.

If the North American release of Grimlock hasn't been confirmed as definite - despite various winks and nods and hints by Hasbro - how can the mumblings of the Customer Service Department of a backwater market be treated as a gospel?

To me Griffin's theory sounds the most plausible.

jaydisc
22nd April 2009, 01:08 PM
After playing with my Grimlock and reading the recent interview with Takara engineers, this toy HAS TO BE destined to be sold by Hasbro simply by virtue of its countless gimmicks.

dirge
23rd April 2009, 12:01 AM
This toy HAS TO BE destined to be sold by Hasbro simply by virtue of its countless gimmicks.

True. The question at hand however is will it end up being imported by Hasbro Australia?

It's quite possible they will end up getting it, despite having no knowledge of plans to import at this stage.

FWIW, I have no vested interest in the issue, since I have no interest in MP Grimlock :cool:

kurdt_the_goat
23rd April 2009, 12:49 AM
Transformers - good or bad - you're just not interested in anything at all are you dirge!

dirge
23rd April 2009, 10:21 AM
Transformers - good or bad - you're just not interested in anything at all are you dirge!

I'm very interested in the Universe line's new moulds, but they seem to be petering out. I'm tired of Animated (you know my thoughts there, Andrew).

While I like MP line since the size class can offer so much more detail and intricacy in transformation, allowing for a vastly improved robot mode for Megatron, the classic indented waist on Prime and thighs on the seekers, I don't see the point with Grimlock, who never had realism limiting his G1 toy. So for $200+, it's an easy pass for me.

kurdt_the_goat
23rd April 2009, 11:11 AM
I can see your point. Even though realism was never limiting G1 Grimlock, technology was - obviously this isn't the only new Grimlock toy to benefit from better technology - but I really admire how they squeezed in some quality gimmicks and articulation in both modes, with little to no hindrance on either (except dino head i think) - all whilst maintaining what could be mistaken as a strict G1 transformation. I hope you can score one at a better price someday!

dirge
23rd April 2009, 02:18 PM
I hope you can score one at a better price someday!

See, I'd probably grab it for under $100... which is unlikely to happen. But I'm okay with that :)

kup
23rd April 2009, 02:34 PM
I can see your point. Even though realism was never limiting G1 Grimlock, technology was - obviously this isn't the only new Grimlock toy to benefit from better technology - but I really admire how they squeezed in some quality gimmicks and articulation in both modes, with little to no hindrance on either (except dino head i think) - all whilst maintaining what could be mistaken as a strict G1 transformation. I hope you can score one at a better price someday!

I wouldn't call Grimlock as 'better technology'. Aside from the clever way it handles the leg kibble, it is pretty much a rehash of the G1 toy engineering unless you mean the new elbow and ball joints + gimmicks.

I got him basically because I could afford him and I like the character tribute and his quality construction are enough to satisfy me but I can see that if I were looking for more than those factors he really isn't something too special or revolutionary to be worth his asking price.

kurdt_the_goat
23rd April 2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah, the improvements are by no means limited to Grimlock nowadays. I was referring to the increased amount of joints and thus better posability, awesome detailing on his chest.. the clever way the autobot symbol appears too.

Particularly the tail swing/head move gimmick is implemented nicely i thought - one piece affecting another piece at the complete opposite end, without affecting the robot mode at all (maybe waist movement).

Compared to the previous Masterpiece toys though, there's no doubt the added size hasn't been used to significantly refine or alter the transformation to be more complex though, so i could see someone being disappointed in that aspect for sure.

GoktimusPrime
23rd April 2009, 07:01 PM
...and considering that this is the most expensive Masterpiece to date... I'm still wondering if this toy represents good value when compared to other cheaper MPs.

Lord_Zed
23rd April 2009, 09:21 PM
...and considering that this is the most expensive Masterpiece to date... I'm still wondering if this toy represents good value when compared to other cheaper MPs.

That's a loaded and personal question, because we all see different things in our toys and our collections. For me Grimlock is worth it, I really like fancy well made toys, toys that don't look like toys so to speak. He and the other MP's capture my interest long after my other TF's have been relegated to display status. If I had to sell my TF's for some reason I would discard Grimlocks value in Universe and Movie TF's before I discarded Grimlock.

But it sounds like your not sure Goktimus and I know you prefer the more basic toys for play value etc, in that case you can probably afford to wait and see what Hasbro do. However If you know you want him get him now, that's my advice anyway. That's why I got him and I have no regrets I couldn't afford to risk not getting him.

GoktimusPrime
24th April 2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah, if I _really_ wanted this toy I would already have him. :) Here's hoping Hasbro does end up releasing this toy for their markets -- and hopefully at a comparable price. (-_-) I guess from Hasbro AU's response they have no intention of importing the Japanese version has a Target exclusive like they did with Ultra Magnus and Convoy w/ trailer. :/

Gouki
24th April 2009, 09:42 AM
Well. I can't say I'm surprised, or that I'm really disappointed. The Masterpiece line has been kind of disappointing.

GoktimusPrime
24th April 2009, 09:44 AM
Hey Gouki - are you the same Gouki from Madboards? :)

Gouki
24th April 2009, 10:45 AM
Yep.

If you come across any Gouki on forums and he's from Australia, chances are it's me.

Doubledealer
24th April 2009, 11:38 AM
An original G1 Grimlock would bring me just as much joy for less money, and it wouldn't look ridiculous in my collection. Can't say this news bothers me a great deal.

kup
24th April 2009, 12:28 PM
An original G1 Grimlock would bring me just as much joy for less money, and it wouldn't look ridiculous in my collection. Can't say this news bothers me a great deal.

I don't think Hasbro AU is giving out the correct picture so there isn't much news here. I am pretty sure that Hasbro AU is saying NO instead of saying 'We have no information at this time'.

MP Grimlock would not have happened to begin with if Hasbro had not forced Tak-Tom's hand. Grimlock is no where near as popular in Japan as he is in the west and the prototype having the crown confirms that as that crown is absolutely meaningless to the Japanese as they never got any of the Marvel comics.

snazzbot 101
24th April 2009, 01:22 PM
MP Grimlock would not have happened to begin with if Hasbro had not forced Tak-Tom's hand. Grimlock is no where near as popular in Japan as he is in the west and the prototype having the crown confirms that as that crown is absolutely meaningless to the Japanese as they never got any of the Marvel comics.

Perhaps the selection of accessories will be the main difference between TakTom's and the likely Hasbro release.

Bow Tie Apron for Japan; Crown for the West.

Sounds like a cue for fan outrage.

Robzy
24th April 2009, 05:04 PM
Grimlock is no where near as popular in Japan as he is in the westIs this why we've never seen a reissue or Encore Grimlock?

Sky Shadow
24th April 2009, 05:56 PM
Perhaps the selection of accessories will be the main difference between TakTom's and the likely Hasbro release.

Bow Tie Apron for Japan; Crown for the West.

Sounds like a cue for fan outrage.

Sounds like a cue for fan celebration. If they release Hasbro Masterpiece Grimlock with a crown I'll be hallelujahing all the way to the post office.

Sky Shadow
24th April 2009, 06:15 PM
Is this why we've never seen a reissue or Encore Grimlock?

I suspect the fact that Takara lost the mould is a more pressing reason. I also think people repeatedly cite and underestimate Grimlock's popularity in Japan. This is a character who survived and was prominent from Episode Eight of Season 1 all the way to the beginning of Headmasters, who was in the Manga, had a Binaltech toy, was released in the second wave of SCFs, etc. Grimlock wasn't unpopular in Japan - in fact I believe he'd have to have been more popular than half the Season One cast.

GoktimusPrime
24th April 2009, 11:11 PM
Yeah, HasTak has confirmed the Grimlock mould has having been lost. Other confirmed lost moulds are Slag, Sludge, Snarl, Swoop and Mirage. Moulds rumoured to be lost are Sunstreaker, original Rattrap and the Constructicons. Known partially lost (broken) moulds are Wheeljack, Soundwave and Optimus Prime. The Optimus Prime/Convoy mould was reconstructed using what remained of the G2 Optimus Prime mould and completely reconstructing the arms from scratch which Takara claims cost them a fortune (and we've continue to see both Hasbro and Takara milk as much as they can from this mould!). For the Japanese Soundwave reissues, the mould was reconstructed using parts from the original Soundwave and Soundblaster moulds. For some reason Hasbro just repainted Soundblaster for their Soundwave reissue. As for Wheeljack... I don't know how extensively broken the mould is, and unlike Convoy and Soundwave, there weren't any reuses of the mould (other than the Classic reissue) whereas Takara were able to salvage mould parts from G2 Prime and Soundblaster. I reckon it would be too cost-prohibitive to reconstruct the Wheeljack mould for a reissue -- otherwise I'm sure that Takara would've done so by now.

Reference (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Mold#Lost_Molds)

kup
24th April 2009, 11:46 PM
Didn't Takara/Hasbro say that they do have the Constructicon molds but do not want to release them because they would be competing with the KOers who have extensively reproduced this figure for a number of years?

MV75
25th April 2009, 10:21 AM
I'm hoping they're trying to fight against that statement now by "testing" the market with the cassettes (very heavily KO'd), and bruticus.

Everyone buy them and I think we'll see devastator.

C'mon guys, I don't have a devastator and I'd love an official one.

jaydisc
25th April 2009, 10:51 AM
Spoil this:

I think Encore Devastator is a sure thing due to ROTF

Robzy
25th April 2009, 01:29 PM
I'm hoping they're trying to fight against that statement now by "testing" the market with the cassettes (very heavily KO'd), and bruticus.

Everyone buy them and I think we'll see devastator.

Spoil this:
I think you both may be right! (I hope so, anyway)

snazzbot 101
25th April 2009, 04:32 PM
Sounds like a cue for fan celebration. If they release Hasbro Masterpiece Grimlock with a crown I'll be hallelujahing all the way to the post office.

I was actually meaning the "outrage" which typically pops up whenever TakTom and Hasbro release the same product in different-enough ways. Plenty of people shelled out for a Green-scream only to complain when a G1-deco was released a little later.

GoktimusPrime
25th April 2009, 08:38 PM
Didn't Takara/Hasbro say that they do have the Constructicon molds but do not want to release them because they would be competing with the KOers who have extensively reproduced this figure for a number of years?
Yeah, that was back around 2000-2001 when Takara had started doing G1 reissues and a lot of people were requesting G1 gestalts. Takara then said that they did not want to reissue gestalts that were being KOed because they did not wish to compete against bootleggers.

Gouki
26th April 2009, 01:47 PM
Yeah, that was back around 2000-2001 when Takara had started doing G1 reissues and a lot of people were requesting G1 gestalts. Takara then said that they did not want to reissue gestalts that were being KOed because they did not wish to compete against bootleggers.

That's... pretty much just handing bootleggers profit. What an odd reasoning, I mean, yes, I can see some logic, but still. Odd.

GoktimusPrime
26th April 2009, 02:32 PM
From Takara's POV it would be an unfair and unlevel playing field because they're no way that they can sell their reissues at the same cheap prices that bootleggers do. Whether you agree with their rationale or not, that's pretty much what they've said and they seem to be sticking buy it so far.

Perhaps one way we can convince them to reconsider is to support further G1 gestalt reissues - such as the upcoming reissue of Bruticus. I've purchased all of their reissue gestalts so far (except for SixWing) and I will be getting the Bruticus reissue. Hopefully if reissue Bruticus sells well it may encourage them to do more G1 gestalt reissues.

If they ever do reissue Devastator, I'd love to see e-Hobby reissue the toy in its Diaclone colours (http://www.diaclone.net/orid/diabuild/index.html) (preferably the later "red breastplate" variant). This is of course assuming that Takara hasn't lost the Devastator mould by now (as is rumoured).

Gouki
28th April 2009, 09:54 AM
Oh, no, I understand that. It's just, the problem with that thought is, well, they only ever seem to reissue the same combiners over and over again (and how many times has Bruticus been released in the last ten years anyway? Three or four?). I haven;t exactly seen any great wuality, full sized Menasor's of Defensor's. Or a Liokaizer, I mean they've already done some pretty bizarre releases as is (Omega Supreme, Sky Lynx, and in the TFC Kup/Wheelie).

I don't know, I can see where they're coming from, I just disagree with it.;)

kup
28th April 2009, 02:02 PM
If its so hard for them to reconstruct a lost/broken mold and reissue something then why don't they just license one of the Chinese toy manufacturers that are producing the G1 accurate figures who can obviously reproduce and reconstruct molds at a much cheaper cost? Many of these figures are almost exact reproductions of their G1 originals with the difference being slightly more loose joints and so forth but the same is also true with some official reissues.

Gouki
28th April 2009, 04:27 PM
Hell, my TFC Megatron has the loosest arms. He can barely hold his fusion cannon up, and once the mace or sword or other gun comes into the equation he has no chance.

GoktimusPrime
28th April 2009, 05:04 PM
(and how many times has Bruticus been released in the last ten years anyway? Three or four?).
0. Bruticus was only ever reissued once in 1991.

The Bruticus mould was re-used for Battle Gaea in 1992 and for Generation 2 Bruticus in 1994. In 2000 the mould was used again for Car Robot's Vuldigus, which was repainted as Ruination for Robots In Disguise (which again had variant repaints). But in answer to your question, there have been zero reissues of Bruticus in the past decade.

If its so hard for them to reconstruct a lost/broken mold and reissue something then why don't they just license one of the Chinese toy manufacturers that are producing the G1 accurate figures who can obviously reproduce and reconstruct molds at a much cheaper cost? Many of these figures are almost exact reproductions of their G1 originals with the difference being slightly more loose joints and so forth but the same is also true with some official reissues.
Takara said it was expensive. Takara have all kinds of production costs which bootleggers don't, such as licensing, marketing, R&D, market research, customer care, QA, design, packaging et al. - and TakaraTOMY also have much higher standards than bootleggers. As impressive as some of these KO reissues are, they're frequently imperfect - and it's these imperfections that astute collectors look out for that give them away as KOs (reference (http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39063)). Also I would be suspicious of the legality of Takara cooperating with pirates to produce reissues. I suspect that if HasTak were able to get their hands on any of these bootleggers the first thing they'd do is sue them.

Paulbot
28th April 2009, 05:48 PM
0. Bruticus was only ever reissued once in 1991.

The Bruticus mould was re-used for Battle Gaea in 1992 and for Generation 2 Bruticus in 1994. In 2000 the mould was used again for Car Robot's Vuldigus, which was repainted as Ruination for Robots In Disguise (which again had variant repaints). But in answer to your question, there have been zero reissues of Bruticus in the past decade.

C'mon you know what he meant. :mad: :rolleyes:

Yes Gouki, the Bruticus toys are the most rereleased of the Scramble City combiners.

And is there any chance that this thread could be called " Hasbro will not be releasing Masterpiece Grimlock at this stage". I find the subject very misleading.

Golden Phoenix
28th April 2009, 05:50 PM
He can barely hold his fusion cannon up, and once the mace or sword or other gun comes into the equation he has no chance.

He can get pills for that

Gouki
28th April 2009, 07:03 PM
But in answer to your question, there have been zero reissues of Bruticus in the past decade.

I didn't say reissued I said released. And the mould has been released and rereleased (sometimes under different names, yes) again and again and again since it first appeared.

GoktimusPrime
28th April 2009, 07:47 PM
The Bruticus mould has indeed be re-released several times recently. I think that TakaraTOMY is taking the safer option of reissuing a mould that they've used recently just in case it shelf warms.

On one hand we could say that TakaraTOMY is less risk-taking and more cautious than pre-TOMY Takara (who gave us other G1 gestalt reissues). This is evident with the fact that most Encore reissues (especially in the beginning) are toys that have been previously reissued by Takara since 2000. Of all Encore Transformers reissued to date, 15* were already previously reissued while 8** were never reissued before. On the other hand, who can blame them? We're seeing reports of more expensive Encores such as Omega Supreme and Metroflex shelfwarming.

So I'd say that TakaraTOMY is erring on the side of caution by using the low-cost option of reissuing Bruticus. My speculation is that if Bruticus happens to fly off shelves and sell like wildfire, then it might prompt TakaraTOMY to consider doing more gestalt reissues. But as I said on the Have HasTak become lazy? thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=4077) the best way to communicate our feelings to Hasbro and Takara is to vote with our wallets. As I said, I'm going to buy the Bruticus reissue with the hope that it might encourage TakaraTOMY to consider doing more G1 reissues. :)

-------------
*Convoy, Megatron, Soundwave, Starscream, Ironhide, Ratchet, Meister, Bumble, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Trailbreaker, Hoist, Buzzsaw and Ravage - although the prior reissues of Ironhide, Ratchet, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Trailbreaker and Hoist were limited exclusives.
**Sky Lynx, Omega Supreme, Tailgate, Wave, Outback, Pipes, Metroflex, Eject and Rewind

Sky Shadow
29th April 2009, 09:35 AM
I didn't say reissued I said released. And the mould has been released and rereleased (sometimes under different names, yes) again and again and again since it first appeared.

Yes, the Bruticus mould has officially been used in some form or other in 1986, 1987, 1992, 1993, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004 and now 2009. I had and loved the original Combaticons in 1986. I dread to think what the degradated quality of this Encore version will be like by comparison.

MV75
30th April 2009, 05:39 PM
Goktimus, generation 2 bruticus was still called bruticus, so yes, he was "reissued".

Sky Shadow
30th April 2009, 05:45 PM
Goktimus, generation 2 bruticus was still called bruticus, so yes, he was "reissued".

That wasn't "in the last ten years" though, so it doesn't really affect Gok's answer to Gouki's question.

jaydisc
12th May 2009, 03:46 PM
I just noticed that RK is advertising Grimlock as September restock. It might be worth seeing if Toy-Wholesaler will therefore be accepting more wholesale orders if anyone is still interested in getting him cheaply.

Ironhide63
20th May 2009, 07:49 AM
Ah sorry, that sounds unfortunate. I guess i just always imagine most people on here are absolutely loaded - some single acquisitions posts dwarf my entire year's spending!

im most definitely not loaded...thats why I have to choose carefully which toy to buy at which time...and no thanks to hasbro...*cancelling stupid hasbro*
You could see Im not loaded due to my...uh, collection count of 12. But im building it up.

STL
20th May 2009, 07:42 PM
Could someone kill this thread? It really was quite silly in the first place and keep seeing it bobbing up as the top Australian news item really is quite sad.

blackie
21st May 2009, 08:09 AM
Could someone kill this thread? It really was quite silly in the first place and keep seeing it bobbing up as the top Australian news item really is quite sad.

one other 'forum' whom seems to get their news off this site a lot of the time, was stating that there was no chance we would get MP grimlock. this is quite missleading :)

jaydisc
21st May 2009, 08:19 AM
Perhaps a more accurate title?

Hasbro Australia will now be releasing Takara's MP Grimlock.

GoktimusPrime
21st May 2009, 11:07 AM
It really was quite silly in the first place
I was merely reporting the information given to me by Hasbro Australia. I hope they're wrong though... I would love nothing more than to see MP Grimlock getting a local release.

jaydisc
31st May 2009, 09:04 AM
Discussed at Botcon: Not only is Hasbro releasing MP Grimlock, but there will also be a MP Skywarp (Walmart exclusive). I would definitely recommend a thread title update, especially after seeing posts like this:

I've been thinking for a while, I want to get a grimlock figure, but seems the Masterpiece Grimlock is cancelled for Australia...

blackie
31st May 2009, 09:07 AM
oh well, at least i know my takara ones are better :) and they have techspec cards :P

GoktimusPrime
31st May 2009, 07:08 PM
Great news! Here's hoping Hasbro AU will release the toy here. :)

willocrew
26th March 2010, 02:20 PM
any news on this?

5FDP
26th March 2010, 03:36 PM
any news on this?

Yeah, it's coming to Australia and may be a TRU exclusive. No word on the release date though. Should be this year. See this thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=5266)for confirmation on up-coming releases.

Sky Shadow
26th March 2010, 03:38 PM
any news on this?

Yes. It's supposed to be a Toys 'R' Us exclusive here later this year. So unless that changes, the title of this thread is wrong.

Paulbot
26th March 2010, 07:17 PM
Yes. It's supposed to be a Toys 'R' Us exclusive here later this year. So unless that changes, the title of this thread is wrong.

Seibertron have a similar thread about Animated at the moment. One customer service email from random Hasbro letter answerer and it's all of a sudden treated as fact.

At least we have your thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=6065) to set the record straight(er).

Kyle
27th March 2010, 02:42 AM
Thread closed (with title updated).

Please continue discussions at:

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=6065