PDA

View Full Version : have hasbro/takara become lazy...

Tabias Prime
22nd April 2009, 12:29 AM
hi guys, i hope I'm not the only one who feels this way, I love my Transformers but I'm starting to get a little tired of the toy company's just rehashing old moulds and just putting a different name on the toy because they can't be bothered getting of their butts and paying someone to make new ones. it seems that the toy designers have run out of ideas and have decided we can't be bothered anymore, lets use this mould change the colours give him a different name and nobody will notice.i want to see something fresh, something that will catch me eye and go "wow i want that", not God not another one of those..I see more imagination from the people on this board and on others in there Customs sections than i see coming out of the toy company's. People with real imaginations who can give us transformers lovers something to look forward to buying. I don't mind paying a little bit extra for a little bit of extra thought and imagination. If I'm wrong I'll get off my soapbox and stop ranting :p:p

Gutsman Heavy
22nd April 2009, 02:04 AM
redecos have been a staple since G1, get used to it.

Adzma
22nd April 2009, 07:46 AM
Redecoes are cheaper to produce. Go figure. ;)

Paulbot
22nd April 2009, 10:26 AM
It's cost effective for them to repaint these toys for a quick buck but I don't think they are lazy.

You can't look at the new toys from the past few years and think they have run out of ideas.

The Animated line is full of very clever new ideas and radically different robot designs (although not to everyone's taste).

The automorphing Movie toys have a whole different style of robot design and transformations (although not to everyone's taste).

And both of these lines are very different from the more traditional Universe/Henkei toys, which still bring great new designs to the mix.

I think between these three lines Hasbro/Takara are more creative now than they've been in a long time.

GoktimusPrime
22nd April 2009, 01:06 PM
As others have said, this is nothing new. Looking at G1 you have lots of examples such as:
+ Frenzy & Rumble
+ Buzzsaw & Laserbeak
+ Starscream, Skywarp & Thundercracker
...and the list goes on.

But for me, things started getting out of hand in 2003 with Armada's "Powerlinx" where they decided to "upgrade" all the Autobots and Decepticons by simply releasing repaints of them - then they chucked them in the show just for extra appeal. In 2000 we had the Super Car Robot Bros., but that was only limited to three toys. It wasn't as if virtually the entire CR/RiD line got "upgrade repaints" done of them. (-_-) Then the trend continued in Energon - to the point that we have Energon Hot Shot (http://www.decepticon-matrix.com/energon/energon_hotshot_moc1.jpg) and Energon Energon Hot Shot (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qFDmfRtvL._SL500_AA280_.jpg). But thankfully died down by Cybertron.

Now while I can understand your frustration in seeing HasTak slap new paint on an existing mould and give it a new name to make a new character/toy out of it, I find these "upgrade" repaints much much more frustrating because they're not even new characters. It's literally like that episode of The Simpsons when Malibu Stacy gets a hat. (-_-)

Look at all the gratuitous repaints in Animated...
+ Lockdown: original, Stealth & Blazing -- they're all still the same guy. Why do we need 3 different variations? (and that's not including Bandit Lockdown)
+ Bumblebee: original & Elite Guard -- stick some different colours and call him "Elite Guard"... okay sure, they improved on the stinger weapon, but otherwise... pointless. I would've preferred a new wave of original Bumblebees with corrected weapons (like we had with 70s Camaro movie Bumblebee)
...and the list goes on.

Now I know that variants is nothing new to Transformers either. In 1984 we had both Bumblebee and Cliffjumper available in both red and yellow (and every other colour in S.America) and there's lots more examples... but these variations occured incidentally, not with the specific intent of milking more money from consumers.

Anyway - the best way to tell HasTak what we think about "pointless" repaints is to vote with our wallets. If you like 'em, buy them. If you don't, then boycott them. I usually abstain from buying what I view as "meaningless" repaints - although admittedly the concept of "meaningless" is highly subjective.

jaydisc
22nd April 2009, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I'm not seein' this either. There have been some amazing toys come out in the past 12 months.

kup
22nd April 2009, 01:37 PM
I don't mind a good focused repaint like say Dirge from the new Universe vs sets. However crazy stuff that makes no sense like Mudflap, the mentioned Animated upgrades, etc are just silly.

Sky Shadow
22nd April 2009, 02:47 PM
hi guys, i hope I'm not the only one who feels this way, I love my Transformers but I'm starting to get a little tired of the toy company's just rehashing old moulds and just putting a different name on the toy because they can't be bothered getting of their butts and paying someone to make new ones. it seems that the toy designers have run out of ideas and have decided we can't be bothered anymore, lets use this mould change the colours give him a different name and nobody will notice.

I totally agree. In fact, I've written about this very problem before:

I'm tired of the laziness Hasbro Bradley is showing in their 'Transformers' line. I can't be the only one who's noticed that the 'Starscream' toy is exactly the same as the 'Thundercracker' and 'Skywarp' ones, just in a different colour with different stickers. Speaking of lazy - they can't even be bothered to apply all the stickers in the factory and expect us to do most of them ourselves! If I'm going to be shelling out over fifteen dollars for a toy, I expect so much more. And do they really think we're so blind that we can't tell that the so-called 'Ratchet' and 'Prowl' toys are just Ironhide and Bluestreak with extra lights stuck on their roofs?

Also, 'Laserbeak'/'Frenzy' is going to be warming pegs for the next twenty-five years! I laugh out loud at that! Why would anyone want a blue Rumble and red Buzzsaw when they can just buy the normal ones that come with Ravage and Soundwave? And when it comes to these 'recolours', sometimes Hasbro Bradley doesn't even bother to rename the toy! Have you noticed that they've released 'Bumblebee' in red and 'Cliffjumper' in yellow on their normal cardbacks and just hope we're stupid enough to buy both? I don't think so, Hasbro Bradley!

With this level of laziness, there's no way this toyline is going to last into 1985.

jaydisc
22nd April 2009, 06:02 PM
GOLD! :D

SilverDragon
22nd April 2009, 06:29 PM
We're in an economic crisis. Repainting molds is cheaper than making new ones.

Also, they had to save SOME money to make new molds for RotF, which I think is why all the Universe Voyagers with the exception of Inferno were repaints/remolds.

Tabias Prime
22nd April 2009, 07:02 PM
I think what GoktimusPrime said pretty much what i was trying to get at. the pointless repaints and the different variations. Quoting GoktimusPrime (It's literally like that episode of The Simpsons when Malibu Stacy gets a hat.)how many different version of one character do you need.

Tabias Prime
22nd April 2009, 07:28 PM
i think what set me off to start this thread was the fact that i saw the other day was a Primal Prime which was nothing more than retool of Cybertron Leobreaker with a new head and redecoed in blue and red,but like GoktimusPrime said you can always vote with your wallet and If you like 'em, buy them. If you don't, then boycott them. having a rant isn't going to change this but i just wanted to get other peoples thoughts on the subject more than anything. They've been doing it the last 25 years so i guess there isn't much we can do but choose what we buy..

Paulbot
22nd April 2009, 08:36 PM
In the case of Leo Prime getting a new head actually means they made a bit of an effort. Not much of an effort but it's more than goes into a lot of recolours. The way they designed toys like Sunstreaker, Prowl, Ironhide to be repaints with new heads and/or other slight changes is a nice thing compared to the reuse of Energon and Cybertron toys unchanged over and over again.

kristofferrer
22nd April 2009, 08:48 PM
I think it really comes back down to business. The bottom line is that Takara and Hasbro are out there to make money. They can either:

* Design something quickly and to a high standard, but then it will not be cheap. or
* Design something quickly and cheaply, but it will not be of high quality (e.g. repaints). or
* Design something with high quality and cheaply, but it will take a long time.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/33/Project_Triangle.svg/320px-Project_Triangle.svg.png

The price they sell their figures is what throws me off. As a fan I'm barely ok with repaints ... What really throws me of is when they repaint it and sell it for 100000% plastic value.... here's an example (http://www.etoysjapan.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=89&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=921&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1)

Sky Shadow
22nd April 2009, 09:06 PM
Nobody ever has to buy a repaint. The only force impelling anyone to be a completist is him or herself. There are more than enough Transformers out there for people to buy without ever having to buy a repaint. And then people could even spend the extra money they save on luxury items - you know - like clothes or rent or food.

GoktimusPrime
22nd April 2009, 09:34 PM
kristofferrer, I don't think your example wasn't a very good one as Gentei Wildrider is a rare and limited convention exclusive toy. The reason why exclusive toys are typically repaints (and occasionally a slight retool). Because they're manufactured in such small numbers and have limited distribution, it's not justifiable to manufacture entirely new moulds engineered from scratch for such limited production runs. They're also only available through limited exclusive means of distribution such as attending an event (e.g. convention), competition prize (either through merit or random draw), store exclusive (including online store exclusives like e-Hobby) et al.

Also, exclusive toys are sometimes organised by people outside of Hasbro/Takara; like TF fans (such as the Hartman brothers, Glen Hallit, Ichikawa Hirofumi, Akiyama Fumihiko etc.), in tandem with Hasbro/Takara - so they represent toys where the repaint/retool and characters are made by fans for fans, and not expressly for personal corporate "greed. A lot of these characters/toys wouldn't sell in the regular market because they only appeal to hardcore fans -- most more casual fans and kids wouldn't even bat an eyelid to toys like...
+ Road Hauler
+ Crosscut
+ Cybertron mode Beast Wars TFs (Timelines)
+ Alpha Trion
+ Fracture, Bug Bite and other Gobots
...etc.

Exclusives have recently also allowed some toys that were cancelled for release in the regular market to be made available to collectors as exclusives. It's not as nice as having them as regular releases, but it beats nothing. BotCon Dirge, Thrust & Thundercracker as well as Henkei Thundercracker, Skywarp and Gentei Dirge and Thrust are examples of this.

So I think exclusive repaints are in an entirely different league from other repaints, particularly what some might consider to be "frivolous" or "meaningless" repaints: i.e.: a repaint for repaint's sake just to milk more money out of fans. Like yeah okay, the endless numbers of black and clear limited repaints Takara do is pretty crazy, but the fact that they're limited (and sometimes chase figures) puts them in a different category from "Malibu Stacy with a hat" Transformers like say Activator Bandit Lockdown or the Mini-Con Sea Team in blue... how long did they shelf warm for!

MV75
22nd April 2009, 09:50 PM
Yes they are getting lazier. There are more reuses of moulds today than there were back in G1. And man, all I have to say is jedi starfighter. Thread over, I win.

Robzy
22nd April 2009, 10:20 PM
I'm too lazy to post in this thread!

SGB
22nd April 2009, 10:45 PM
I'm too lazy to post in this thread!
Lazy bones! :p

Tabias Prime
22nd April 2009, 11:16 PM
not sure if i should of started this thread now:eek: i think i opened a can of worms.

liegeprime
22nd April 2009, 11:58 PM
ON the repaint and reuse issue of molds... I can think about now is that of Cybertron Defense Scattorshot mold - it has been sooooo used not only officially twice recouloured in the Universe line, but also used in the convention exclusive and one more in particular I can't recall.... and I still dont have any of these toys ... at all ... not sure why, but it does not call to me. ;)

d*r*j*
23rd April 2009, 12:11 AM
I really love repaints.
I love the ones Hasbro do;
SkyWarp, AcidStorm, 25th Starscream
The ones I do;
Thundercracker
Hasbro's slight retools;
Ramjet
And my re-retools;
Dirge

I own 7 copies of the g1 Optimus Prime mold
and 6 copies of the g1 slag mold.

I draw the line at exclusives (I'd rather just paint my own) and autobot cars.
The closest thing to a g1 car (excluding combiners) in my collection is either Optimus Prime or kup... haha neither are really that close. I have universe Ironhide, Sunstreaker and Smokescreen... but passed on the repaints.

Ode to a Grasshopper
23rd April 2009, 03:46 AM
I love that Simpsons episode.

I'm not a completist, but can happily live with repaints as long as there's some kind of (semi-plausible) reason & it's not ridiculously overused (i.e. Cyb Scattorshot). Given the engineering costs involved compared to a simple toy car or action figure I can see how Hasbro would need to recoup costs, and repaints are a pretty good way to do so. Yes it's lazy, but it's good business, and let's face it, it's tradition. G1 just wouldn't be the same without the seekers, or both Rumble AND Frenzy.

In defence of recolours, a lot of the time I prefer the recolours to the originals - i.e. Energon vs. Armada Tidal Wave, BM/Universe Strika, Energon Mirage/Dreadwing. I didn't pick one up due to lack of $ but Universe Blades looks pretty sweet too and the rotor gimmick was a nice nod to his character. On the other hand yellow Rescue Ratchet is horrible, even with my penchant for gaudiness (G2 Combaticons rock my world but even I have limits).
What does tick me off is toys like Animated Sunstorm, Shockwave and co. shelfwarming in the USA while we don't get them released over here. I remember the last movie flood season and it had me baying at the moon for some variety...

GoktimusPrime
23rd April 2009, 09:37 AM
Repaints like Rumble & Frenzy and the Seekers isn't as shameless as all the "Powerlinx upgrades" or all the different versions of Lockdown or yellow Ratchet - ya know, the kind of repaints that just make you scratch your head and go, "WTH?!"

In defence of recolours, a lot of the time I prefer the recolours to the originals - i.e. Energon vs. Armada Tidal Wave, BM/Universe Strika, Energon Mirage/Dreadwing
But you'll notice that all the repaints that you prefer came after the originals were released? i.e.: Hasbro releases a mould first in - let's admit it - acceptable colours. Then they release them in better colours later in an attempt to make collectors think, "Damn it! Now I want that one!" It reeks of a plan to milk more money from collectors after they've already given money to Hasbro from buying the originals. Again - same as the Malibu Stacy w/ hat analogy... they were targetting collectors who already had Malibu Stacy but who would then want the new version with a cool hat! The fact is, the original version should've come with a hat in the first place!

What does tick me off is toys like Animated Sunstorm, Shockwave and co. shelfwarming in the USA while we don't get them released over here. I remember the last movie flood season and it had me baying at the moon for some variety...
I agree. Hasbro AU has been getting pret-ty slack with local distribution here. Finding Universe Inferno is like finding rain - some places are flooded but while a lot of other areas (like my areas) have been in drought - it's like the the distribution we had with the Ultra Transmetal 2s. And a lot of other toys are just not seeing the light of day here. Then there's the response Hasbro AU gave me regarding MP Grimlock... (-_-)

Back on the issue of lazy repaints - what also irks me are unfocussed repaints. By this I mean repaints where they're trying to do something that makes sense, but screw it up in the end. Universe Mudflap is a classic example of this - the toy is obviously meant to be a tribute to Erector... but they screwed it up not changing his allegiance to Autobot or changing his name from Mudflap -- that's not just lazy, but also downright "we need Ritalin stat!" inattentive. Or Universe Powerglide with Hot House's colours. Buh!?!

Then there are just some, IMHO, odd choices for tributive repaints like Universe Treadbolt. Treadbolt?! For any of you who've purchased this toy or intend to purchase this toy -- be honest... before you heard of Universe Treadbolt, how much did you know or care about G1 Treadbolt? Name one thing Treadbolt did in G1 continuity (without looking it up).

Here's the answer: Treadbolt did nothing. He had no appearance in the G1 cartoon, comics, animé or manga! He was just a toy who was released in 1990 as a member of the Micromaster Air Patrol Team

Tread Bolt is such an odd choice for a repaint intended for mass market release due to the character's relative obscurity and seems to me to be a better suited choice for an exclusive repaint. Seems strange that Classics Thundercracker, Dirge and Thrust had to become BotCon exclusives (and sold like hot cakes), and yet I'm seeing Universe Tread Bolt shelfwarming at TRU. Odd!

Defcon
23rd April 2009, 10:10 AM
I agree with everything you said Gok. Very articulate I think you said it perfectly.

I love repaints especially of my favorite moulds. Ideally maximum of 2. I think 3 or more is just crazy ! and to list a few repaints from the universe line and some from the movie line

I hate - Heavy Load, Blaster, Dropshot, Overload, and Vector Prime, Inferno(movie), Off road Ironhide(movie)
I think these are alright - Tread Bolt, Springer, Roadbuster, Evac(movie), Rescue Ratchet(movie)
I like - Blades, Ratbat, Overkill, Dragstrip
Looking foward to - Darkwind, Countdown

I hated premium repaints for the movie line, I didn't get any as I already had the original released toys. I wasn't fussed, I was over the movie line and didn't care. Imagine how one would feel if they loved the movie toys to an obsessional degree! I would be upset ! and feel ripped off.

GoktimusPrime
23rd April 2009, 10:49 AM
I hated premium repaints for the movie line, I didn't get any as I already had the original released toys.
The Premium series is pretty much the same as "Powerlinx upgrade" repaints where they release the better repaint shortly after to milk more money out of collectors. When the movie toys first came out, I remember saying that HasTak should've given Bumblebee interchangeable heads - one being the regular head and the other being the battle-mask head. An easy thing considering how easily Deluxe Bumblebee's head can pop off. At the time I also - in a sarcastically cynical way - said any bet that HasTak will give us the same toy later with the battle mask. And whaddaya know - I was right! And they gave it to us twice - one with regular Bumblebee colours and the other in black. I got the one in regular colours... but yeah, I felt duped. They could've just given it to us with the original toy.

I suppose HasTak's counter argument would be the budget, i.e.: that they can't afford to include an interchangeable head or it would exceed budget. They could've sacrificed other things like the transformable weapon. Would anyone care if Bumblebee's gun didn't transform into a blade (which he never uses in the movie anyway)? Or alternatively, they could release a Transformers accessory pack that could include things like Bumblebee's battle head, Optimus Prime's sabre, Autobot Jazz's shield, Autobot Ratchet's gun etc. -- they did the same with Star Wars and it sold. Or perhaps release a line of 10cm (same scale as GI Joe, Star Wars, Indy Jones and current Marvel figures) action figures for human characters, and include a TF accessory with each figure. e.g. Sam Witwicky could come with Bumblebee's battle head, Mikaela Banes could come with Ratchet's gun, William Lennox could come with Jazz's shield etc.

I don't know what Hasbro's aversion to releasing human action figures in TFs is. Maybe they got burned with Kicker - but the problem with Kicker was that it was a crap action figure (I've seen it, if I didn't know any better I'd say it was a knock off of Takara's Kicker) and because it came with that oversized High Wire Transformer it also bumped the price up. They could easily sell human TF figures at a comparable price point to 10cm GI Joes, Star Wars, Indy Jones and Marvel action figures.

Imagine how one would feel if they loved the movie toys to an obsessional degree! I would be upset ! and feel ripped off.
Welcome to the world of the completists! I'm not a true completist, but I feel ripped from time to time as with the movie Bumblebee example. (-_-)

dirge
23rd April 2009, 10:52 AM
But you'll notice that all the repaints that you prefer came after the originals were released? i.e.: Hasbro releases a mould first in - let's admit it - acceptable colours. Then they release them in better colours later in an attempt to make collectors think, "Damn it! Now I want that one!" It reeks of a plan to milk more money from collectors after they've already given money to Hasbro from buying the originals.

Exactly the reason I'm not gunna pick up Samurai Prowl. Yes, it's cool. Yes, it doesn't come with the Traffic Light Of Doom. But it's another $30 for essentially the same thing, and I'm very happy with the original. I'm not complaining about it - if others choose to grab it that's fine - but I'm voting with my wallet.

Then there are just some, IMHO, odd choices for tributive repaints like Universe Treadbolt. Treadbolt?! For any of you who've purchased this toy or intend to purchase this toy -- be honest... before you heard of Universe Treadbolt, how much did you know or care about G1 Treadbolt? Name one thing Treadbolt did in G1 continuity (without looking it up).

Actually I've always liked Treadbolt. But as obscure as he is, what really turned me off is how lazy the repaint is. Just as Mudflap has that awful white/yellow mix instead of Erector's grey/yellow, Treadbolt has all that brown - the original had none, and I don't see any compelling reason for a blue and yellow toy to have brown (black would have just looked a lot better).

Tabias, I feel your pain. Repaints are always going to be a part of the Transformers line, but since Armada's flood of randomised repaints (BTW, when Hasbro announced that line, they proudly proclaimed there would be _no_ repaints), there has been a trend of uninspired repaints (such as the Energon Energon repaints Gok mentioned) and some really lazy implementations such as Treadbolt & Mudflap.

When it comes down to it, vote with your wallet. That's the most powerful statement you can make, since Hasbro are interested in your $$ more than your experience after purchase (TT to a lesser extent, they do put a little more value into customer experience).

Ode to a Grasshopper
23rd April 2009, 09:20 PM
Repaints like Rumble & Frenzy and the Seekers isn't as shameless as all the "Powerlinx upgrades" or all the different versions of Lockdown or yellow Ratchet - ya know, the kind of repaints that just make you scratch your head and go, "WTH?!"I'll totally pay that, but the point I was trying to make is that repainting stuff is pretty much a given in TFs, and one that has potential to work well. I'm not a completist and usually wait for sales, so often by the time I get a figure it's got a repaint or 2 anyway, and I just choose the one I like best. I agree, it is lazy, but I'm lazy too so I just don't buy the ones I don't like - my only problem with the lazy repaint flooding in Oz is that it's taking up space that could otherwise be filled with other new non-lazy (well, excepting Atomic Lugnut) stuff. Alternately, we're pretty close to Asia and have a pretty good trade with Japan, how about some joint Hasbro/Takara goodness like Taiwan or Singapore?

But you'll notice that all the repaints that you prefer came after the originals were released? i.e.: Hasbro releases a mould first in - let's admit it - acceptable colours. Then they release them in better colours later in an attempt to make collectors think, "Damn it! Now I want that one!" It reeks of a plan to milk more money from collectors after they've already given money to Hasbro from buying the originals. Again - same as the Malibu Stacy w/ hat analogy... they were targetting collectors who already had Malibu Stacy but who would then want the new version with a cool hat! The fact is, the original version should've come with a hat in the first place!Heh, all TF 'fans' have a love-hate relationship with Hasbro (except maybe Japan). The trouble with that analogy is that the only 'collector' hot to trot for New Hat Malibu Stacy was Smithers. The rest were all small children. While Universe Dragstrip etc are nods to the (usually older) fans, most of these repaints are aimed at kids. When you get right down to it, we are all pretty much adults who collect/play with children's toys. I can live with that - it's better than 'alcoholic':o - but it's not like an evil plan or a personal affront to us as collectors, it's just that TFs are a business franchise aimed primarily at children.

Then there's the response Hasbro AU gave me regarding MP Grimlock... (-_-):( :confused: :mad:

Back on the issue of lazy repaints - what also irks me are unfocussed repaints. By this I mean repaints where they're trying to do something that makes sense, but screw it up in the end. Universe Mudflap is a classic example of this - the toy is obviously meant to be a tribute to Erector... but they screwed it up not changing his allegiance to Autobot or changing his name from Mudflap -- that's not just lazy, but also downright "we need Ritalin stat!" inattentive. Or Universe Powerglide with Hot House's colours. Buh!?!Totally. I would have really liked to have seen Movie Mudflap as Grapple and a Hoist-esque repainted Longarm as 2-pack a la Blackout/Scorponok myself. And don't get me started on the latest Combaticons set - how hard is it to repaint one of the Aerialbot limbs and include a Blast-Off who can actually fly? It's not like the Treadshot mold couldn't sorta have been passed off as a 'space fighter' or something. A slight remold/recolor of movie scout Hardtop (I don't know the base figure) or Energon Strongarm would work as a Swindle too. It's not like that's a lot effort, and having so many different limb sets would mean more potential for even more lame Energon combiner repaints in the future. Jeez Hasbro, remember how ages ago those wacky Japanese came up with a little something called "Scramble City"?.:rolleyes:

Tread Bolt is such an odd choice for a repaint intended for mass market release due to the character's relative obscurity and seems to me to be a better suited choice for an exclusive repaint. Seems strange that Classics Thundercracker, Dirge and Thrust had to become BotCon exclusives (and sold like hot cakes), and yet I'm seeing Universe Tread Bolt shelfwarming at TRU. Odd!Stoopid no mass-Aus-release-Seekers. With Tread Bolt I just assumed they picked a name at random and hoped the kids who missed out on Skyfire would be happy with an 'evil' repaint.:rolleyes: That or it's a repeat of the BW TM Inferno/Scavenger trademark protection thing.

MV75
23rd April 2009, 09:26 PM
Exactly the reason I'm not gunna pick up Samurai Prowl. Yes, it's cool. Yes, it doesn't come with the Traffic Light Of Doom. But it's another $30 for essentially the same thing, and I'm very happy with the original. I'm not complaining about it - if others choose to grab it that's fine - but I'm voting with my wallet.

Actually I've always liked Treadbolt. But as obscure as he is, what really turned me off is how lazy the repaint is. Just as Mudflap has that awful white/yellow mix instead of Erector's grey/yellow, Treadbolt has all that brown - the original had none, and I don't see any compelling reason for a blue and yellow toy to have brown (black would have just looked a lot better).

Tabias, I feel your pain. Repaints are always going to be a part of the Transformers line, but since Armada's flood of randomised repaints (BTW, when Hasbro announced that line, they proudly proclaimed there would be _no_ repaints), there has been a trend of uninspired repaints (such as the Energon Energon repaints Gok mentioned) and some really lazy implementations such as Treadbolt & Mudflap.

When it comes down to it, vote with your wallet. That's the most powerful statement you can make, since Hasbro are interested in your $$ more than your experience after purchase (TT to a lesser extent, they do put a little more value into customer experience).

Bit hard though to say vote with your wallet when they don't release any new toys and these ones are the only things TF on the shelves..... Some people need a TF fix, or kids just want a TF no matter what.

dirge
23rd April 2009, 09:53 PM
Bit hard though to say vote with your wallet when they don't release any new toys and these ones are the only things TF on the shelves..... Some people need a TF fix, or kids just want a TF no matter what.

Yeah I'm not really referring to kids, obviously, since this discussion is from an adults POV... but you're right about in that respect.

In terms of us adult collectors... I stand by my comment. It's not always easy to resist the urge to buy whatever is on the shelves, but I still recommend doing so. I remember coming out of the BM era when we had few TFs on the shelves... and some really poor ones at that... regretting a _lot_ of my purchases.

Now I just stockpile... many of my Henkei/Universe toys (Hound, Sideswipe, Ratchet, Bluestreak, along with some BTs and various other stuff) are still sealed, and I'm slowly opening them. I get my "fix" without buying unsatisfying crap :)

MV75
23rd April 2009, 10:10 PM
I should have elaborated a little more, wallet voting won't really help when they will sell anyway (general public buying them). Of course I'm talking about the "proper" transformer toys and not the true heaps of crud like the turnarounds that NOONE wants. ;)

dirge
23rd April 2009, 10:23 PM
I should have elaborated a little more, wallet voting won't really help when they will sell anyway (general public buying them).

Probably not. But it'll help your bottom line, and prevent you from buying toys that don't really satisfy. Which is the reason I suggested it :)

Mind you, if enough fans (globally) made the decision to skip repaints, it _would_ make a difference. I'll concede that's very unlikely to happen.

i_amtrunks
24th April 2009, 11:10 AM
Mind you, if enough fans (globally) made the decision to skip repaints, it _would_ make a difference. I'll concede that's very unlikely to happen.

They don't call it "plastic crack" for nothing... :D

kup
24th April 2009, 12:09 PM
If I were a kid and someone bought me a Bumblebee. Why the heck would I want another wich is crappily painted and looks nothing like the cartoon?