PDA

View Full Version : Franks back?

Vector Sigma 13
28th April 2009, 06:28 AM
Hope this is true!

http://transformerslive.blogspot.com/2009/04/welker-is-officially-cast-in.html

GoktimusPrime
28th April 2009, 12:21 PM
Well this confirms that Soundwave will be in the movie as I've read conflicting reports.

To be frank (sic) I'm not all that hugely excited about this news. I guess it's because of all of Welker's roles in G1, Soundwave was the one which was the most electronically modified. The bulk of what we hear as Soundwave's voice is actually electronic. Welker's pure Soundwave voice is actually just him growling - and sounds the same as Dr. Claw from the English dub of Inspector Gadget. You can hear in the episode "Roll For It" when Soundwave says, "Excellent Ravage" - Welker's voice is unmodified and it sounds like Dr. Claw!

This isn't to say that I'm not glad that Welker's in the movie and reprising his role as Soundwave... of course, we don't know how they're going to electronically modify his voice which, in the case of Soundwave, is vitally important in how he'll sound. To be "G1 accurate" Welker would just do his growling Dr Claw voice and then after that it's entirely up to the sound engineers. Still, the core performance that Welker brings is something I'll look forward to. :) It's something that other voice actors cannot seem to match IMO (e.g.: Animated Soundwave).

kup
28th April 2009, 12:41 PM
Due to the synthesizing of Soundwave's voice this has mostly symbolic meaning as we finally have both Cullen and Welker together which is what many fans wanted for the first film.

Now if only they could get Nimoy for the Fallen...

Vector Sigma 13
28th April 2009, 08:35 PM
Due to the synthesizing of Soundwave's voice this has mostly symbolic meaning as we finally have both Cullen and Welker together which is what many fans wanted for the first film.

I agree about the scenario being symbolic. The film makers have so many G1 references it almost seems like Frank is the Missing piece of the puzzle. I hope they make Franks role stand out in its own way.

GoktimusPrime
28th April 2009, 10:00 PM
According to inteviews on the DVD special features, Peter Cullen wasn't given the role of Optimus Prime due to his history as the voice of G1 Prime. He actually had to audition for the part like any other actor, but when Bay heard his voice he immediately knew he was the right guy for the job. If Welker did get a part of RotF I'd hope that he got it, like Cullen, on his own merit and through a screening/audition process - and not because of G1 bias, because that would be quite unfair to other actors... and it would kinda feel nepotistic too.

But if Welker was hired due to fan pressure as Soundwave... then by that logic Welker should also be providing the voice of Wheelie for RotF too! Noone else is allowed to do the voice for Wheelie but Welker (or Ahmed Best)! :p :p

griffin
29th April 2009, 01:16 AM
Apparently writer Orci has confirmed Welker is in the cast:
http://movieblog.ugo.com/movies/roberto-orci-frank-welker-to-officially-voice-soundwave

Should be interesting if true.