PDA

View Full Version : Collecting TF2-ROTF Toys?

Autocon
2nd May 2009, 09:39 PM
could be in the other section but its all about the movie so yeah:confused:

will you be collecting any of the movie figures?

Sky Shadow
2nd May 2009, 09:50 PM
Only some. And by "only some" I mean... like... one or two.

loophole
2nd May 2009, 09:58 PM
Only some. And by "only some" I mean... like... one or two.

+1 from what ive seen so far most of them will be a pass

Trailer Park Ninja
2nd May 2009, 09:59 PM
I haven't seen many of the ROTF toys but I don't have any interest in them anyway. I never collected the toys from the first movie. I don't particularly like the figures but loved the first movie and will look forward to the sequel.

I just like G1, Classics/Henkei and Masterpiece toys and have limited myself to these toylines because that's my budget. Ignoring that, during these tough economic times, I really can't justify spending more money on toys when there is such uncertainty around.

Paulbot
2nd May 2009, 10:14 PM
I picked "All of them" as that's probably closer to what I'll buy than "some of them". But I've only seen a few pictures and don't know many details so my vote may change later.

Defcon
2nd May 2009, 10:25 PM
yeah only some I'll try an limit myself to about 2-3 and wait for possible repaints for others, and stock on clearance later in the year. I can wait because I just don't like the robot modes that much, but some of the alt modes have got my attention.

SofaMan
2nd May 2009, 11:02 PM
I put "only some", but I suspect the only ones I won't be getting are ones that are minor repaints/retools of TF1 toys e.g. Bumblebee and Ironhide.

kup
3rd May 2009, 12:12 AM
I can't say that I am a fan of many of the toy designs so I will be even more limited in collecting this line than the first movie. What will really convince me into buying any of the toys depends on how much I like the movie and the characters.

Robzy
3rd May 2009, 12:39 AM
Only some! I'm not that excited by what I've seen... but there are a couple that really do look quite awesome!

G1Optimal
3rd May 2009, 02:12 AM
Voted....Only Some

As Although, my main focus this year is the movie line .... My Only interest is getting the Deluxe , Voyager and Leader classes and anything that i am interested in among those classes.

GoktimusPrime
3rd May 2009, 06:55 AM
"only some"
I only want to get at least one toy representing each character from the movie and perhaps expanded universe movie toys if they look cool to me. I don't plan on getting any repaints, FABs, Cyber Slammers etc.

MV75
3rd May 2009, 07:45 AM
I'm just becoming too disgusted with the retail prices.

It'll have to be a very special character/toy for me to want it.

I should have stuck with the last option as that's what I will be guaranteed spending on. (encore). :)

jaydisc
3rd May 2009, 08:15 AM
I'm waiting for Premium Editions and Clearance sales. :D

GoktimusPrime
3rd May 2009, 08:16 AM
I'm just becoming too disgusted with the retail prices.
There's gonna come to a breaking point where importing becomes cheaper and many of us will opt for it.

Both liegeprime and I imported Henkei Inferno because we were unable to find Universe Inferno until yesterday at TRU. They were selling Universe Inferno for $50, which is pretty much what we paid for Henkei Inferno including postage. So in this case, we paid basically the same price for an import (with postage!!) compared to what we would've paid locally. That's stupid.

Once local retail prices exceed import prices, then why wouldn't you just import?

And it's not the first time it's happened either. Hasbro's G1 reissues here shelf-warmed for ages because they were so expensive that you could buy Japanese imports, from expensive import stores, for nearly the same price!! (and for cheaper if you just imported them yourself directly from Japan) As Takara's reissues were preferable to many collectors, most of us just imported them from Japan instead of getting them locally. Eventually the cost of Japanese reissues at import stores matched the standard price of local ones, then they became cheaper (again, in import stores!!). No wonder most of us opted for imports. The cost of Alternators here were also initially comparable with the cost of Binaltech too. I remember seeing Alternator Smokescreen in Kmart for approximately the same amount that I paid for my Binaltech Smokescreen from HLJ. (-_-)

We all remember Toys R Us massively slashing prices of G1 reissues and Alternators in a desperate attempt to flog off dead stock - as cheap as $25 for a reissue! And even then it was a slow process of seeing those toys getting sold off... I remember seeing them still shelf-warming for a while yet at those obscenely cheap prices. A sign that most collectors had just gotten Japanese reissues for a comparable price IMO.

Let your wallets do the talking! :)

Vector Sigma 13
3rd May 2009, 08:26 AM
I'm waiting for Premium Editions and Clearance sales. :D

Ill be doing the same!

Ill only get some- but saying that i will probably buy more than last time (mainly because there will be more core characters which is basically all i collected last time). Ive got one of all the first movie core characters except for Starscream (He woz too dang ugly!)

Sky Shadow
3rd May 2009, 08:27 AM
There's gonna come to a breaking point where importing becomes cheaper and many of us will opt for it.

Both liegeprime and I imported Henkei Inferno because we were unable to find Universe Inferno until yesterday at TRU. They were selling Universe Inferno for $50, which is pretty much what we paid for Henkei Inferno including postage.

But at the same time you could have bought two Voyager Universe Infernos from Target for $50. I don't know why people are complaining about retail prices so much at the moment - Transformers have had expensive RRPs in Australia for twenty-five years. They're a luxury item. And these days, one rarely has to buy a Transformer in Australia for full price - there's always a sale on somewhere.

liegeprime
3rd May 2009, 08:46 AM
INferno was indeed at $25 at Target, but one miserable factor with Target is that they are absolutely inconsistent in their release on all their branches. Somehow its not like if it show up in this Target , the other stores are likely to have em as well. And out west Parramatta and beyond, its a hit and miss most of the times. My ordering Henkei Inferno is more of an alternate purchase really coz RK didnt update their G1 list so I had to order a replacement for the one item they didnt have stock off (it was either a reimbursement or replacement email I got from their staff - I chose the latter)

NOw onto the movie toys , Im going to collect some - not the main characters ( new molds - meh) for certain. BUt only the newer ones, I've decided to get ( if he ever gets available) the combiner mold Devastator and skip the individual bot releases. But, if the individual ones appeal to me when I see it, I might pick it up as well.

dirge
3rd May 2009, 09:24 AM
Some. The zord has left me feeling very sceptical. I'll grab some, but I'm not going to grab the entire cast as I did last time.

And these days, one rarely has to buy a Transformer in Australia for full price - there's always a sale on somewhere.

Yeah if you can find the toy you're after. I've never seen Universe Inferno. I don't regret paying more for the Henkei. It's worth it in wasted petrol alone.

Doubledealer
3rd May 2009, 10:52 AM
I'll probably end up buying 1-5 depending on how likable the characters are in the movie. Definitely getting a Sideswipe though!

Golden Phoenix
3rd May 2009, 11:04 AM
I'll only end up getting a handful. I got 8 from the last movie, only 3 were in the actual movie and 2 were Cybertron repaints

shokwave2
3rd May 2009, 11:10 AM
I'll probably buy all figures (except the FAB, Cyber Slammers, etc. Never collected the first movie toys so this will be a fresh start for me.

jaydisc
3rd May 2009, 11:13 AM
And these days, one rarely has to buy a Transformer in Australia for full price - there's always a sale on somewhere.

Agreed.

Pipesqueak
3rd May 2009, 12:01 PM
Sideswipe, probably some scouts, maybe Mixmaster, that's about it so far. But there are bound to be a few cool non-cast characters we don't know about yet.

Seraphim Prime
3rd May 2009, 01:39 PM
Prettty much only the new figures. So no Ironhide, Ratchet, Blackout, Voyager Prime, etc.

Although some of those remoulds are starting to interest me. (Preview Bumblebee is growing on me, although with that other one coming out later...)

Ode to a Grasshopper
3rd May 2009, 01:47 PM
There are a few I want, but so far not many.

willocrew
3rd May 2009, 02:06 PM
The flag-ship prime mold from the previous movie didn't really pique my fancy at the time..it had too much of that G1 blocky goodness... and I wanted something the reflected the movie's sleek alien look.

So I will definitely be getting Leader class prime this time because I think this is the movie optimus some of us have been waiting for.

As an aside, do you guys think leader prime will get snapped up quick before sales time? I'm not sure if the retail outlets will be bringing in that many pieces considering the economic climate and the fact that each prime will be about $100.

They're a luxury item. And these days, one rarely has to buy a Transformer in Australia for full price - there's always a sale on somewhere.

And that's where the real fun in toy hunting comes I think... the local 'toy sighting' threads in this forum is simply terrific.

Firecracker
3rd May 2009, 04:31 PM
I voted 'only some'... I'll definitely purchase figures of new characters. At the moment thats about 28 figures across all classes. New Leader Optimus and Voyager Starscream do look appealing though.

I love the Movie line(s) and I especially like off-screen characters and toys; I'm really looking forward to what this line has to offer later on.

Tropisetron
3rd May 2009, 05:37 PM
I'm most probably gonna skip buying the first few months just in case something like a Premium series or Takara Exclusive comes out.... that's what i did for the first movie... only grabbed the premiums.

willocrew
3rd May 2009, 06:20 PM
I'm most probably gonna skip buying the first few months just in case something like a Premium series or Takara Exclusive comes out.... that's what i did for the first movie... only grabbed the premiums.

How's the paint job on the 2007 premiums? Are the silver parts actually silver plastic or is it a coat of paint?

jaydisc
3rd May 2009, 06:37 PM
Coat of paint

fatbot
3rd May 2009, 08:28 PM
i'll be buying S.F.A from the movie line, unless i'm drunk, then who knows what i'll get.

SilverDragon
3rd May 2009, 08:44 PM
Only some.

Pretty much just Preview Soundwave, Ravage, Dune Runner, Ransack, Depth Charge and any re-release of Scorponok that may happen*. Voyager Prime, Starscream, Sideswipe, and some of the Legends are all optional for me. I'm just not liking the aesthetic much, since it works on-screen but not, for the most part, in plastic.

I don't plan on getting RPMs, FABs, and the other sublines.

*Yes, I'm aware Scorponok isn't all that great, but do you seriously think I'm going to have him in robot mode most of the time?

GoktimusPrime
3rd May 2009, 10:06 PM
I display Scorponok in robot mode just because it takes up less shelf space. :/

Lord_Zed
3rd May 2009, 10:20 PM
As usual I will buy some until my desire for TF's from the line is sated, that could be anywhere from 1 to 20 or so. I bought quite a few from the previous movie line, and was impressed by the use of unusual alt modes and some quite clever enginnering on some of the expanded universe movie figures, I dare say I like them better than some of the main movie crew.

Not sure about the Leaders though, I passed the first time round I do like this new Prime but I'll need a sale to bring his price down to reasonable before I get him.

i_amtrunks
4th May 2009, 08:47 AM
Due to the drop in quality that came with the first movie toys (compared to the Cybertron line, they are little better than the decent KO's in quality), and my complete under-excitement from the movie trailers, I've gone with none.

The price jump that has come just in time for the stores to profit as much as possible from the movie toy sales (they learned from the first film :eek:) and the likelihood that Hasbro will later release premium versions and whatnot alter have also played a massive part in my not caring about the toys.

Bartrim
4th May 2009, 01:02 PM
I'll be getting some of the figures. Mainly the new characters. Don't know about Devastator. I'll probably pick up the Devastator matchbox car set thing to play with my son and continue his TF brainwashing:D

STL
4th May 2009, 11:29 PM
Gonna buy them all! :o

I get pretty bored, pretty quickly.

With nothing coming from Takara after May, nada on the Animated front, I'm going to have to sate my appetitte for TFs pretty quickly. As much as I want to leave a lot of these toys on the shelves I can just see the fact that there are no new TFs will entice me to buy these monkies.

Sure, I won't get everything but most likely I'll get a good chunk of the new stuff - even the very average stuff.

Once upon time, I would've wanted to use that time to complete G1 but I'm over vintage toys like the plague now. So the only real unconquerored frontier for me are Japanese versions of stuff I already have like TFC, Superlink, Galaxy Force.

Bartrim
11th May 2009, 10:52 AM
Just had a thought.

For those of us that say we are only going to buy new characters or some of the figures, would you buy another Ratchet this time around if he comes with the flip out gun?

jaydisc
11th May 2009, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't. Also, ratchet has been seen in packaging. He's the same toy, only duller with less paint apps. I sh1t u not.

Lord_Zed
11th May 2009, 12:22 PM
I'd only buy Ratchet if he were a new better mould. The old one is rather mediocre.

I would prefer a less bulky Ratchet that would fit in more with the for the most part more slender Movie toys.

d*r*j*
11th May 2009, 12:34 PM
Voted the G1 option...

last movie i got leader prime, voyager starscream, jazz and arcee... all with some kind of discount. Prime was great and new, SS was good(ish) and new, Jazz was crappy and Arcee was okay... but I only really got her to give my missus a pink/ female transformer hehehe.

Later on I got the metallic voyager Megatron for $17... I knew it was a really bad toy... but it was the better version of a really bad toy.

If something tickles my G1 funny bone then I'll consider it. But most of the toys I have seen so far aren't that appealing.

Tallestblue
11th May 2009, 01:27 PM
Yes, I probably will be getting them all. I don't think I'm well. Considering i've got the same Bumblebbe toy 4 times over now. Well, "Stealth" Bumblebee had the shields down head and ROTF Bumblebee has an entirely new head but I'm still hearing Smither's Voice in my head shouting "But she's got a new hat!"
But i do want those toys bad. Especially Leader Class Prime and Jetfire. I love me some flight mode Optimus action.

Omega Supreme
11th May 2009, 01:46 PM
Voted None, because last time I purchased nearly the lot of them and now only have 2 left. I was enticed by the pretty packaging but once opened they felt cheap and most just look plain ugly.

SMHFConvoy
11th May 2009, 06:39 PM
The basics are the ones that have caught my eye. Few deluxes and voyagers. Definitely not buying any leader class figures this time.

liegeprime
11th May 2009, 06:39 PM
Voted None, because last time I purchased nearly the lot of them and now only have 2 left. I was enticed by the pretty packaging but once opened they felt cheap and most just look plain ugly.

heheheh, feeling cheated then ei? Curious, who did you keep ( the 2 remaining) Oh and welcome back you havent been active lately.

Tober
11th May 2009, 07:25 PM
I voted "none".

I only have CC BB from the first movie - awesome toy that it is. Unless they come up with something just as impressive this time I will largely pass.

There are strong rumours of a Leader Class Starscream, if they get it right then it will be a must-buy for me.

Omega Supreme
11th May 2009, 08:00 PM
heheheh, feeling cheated then ei? Curious, who did you keep ( the 2 remaining) Oh and welcome back you havent been active lately.

I say 2 but in actual fact its 1, Wreckage. Barricade has a special place in my heart, but long gone from my shelves :P.

And Cheers :)

Deonasis
11th May 2009, 10:42 PM
Very few. The only definite sale would be a Leader Prime with chrome like Takara's MA-21. If a 3rd movie and another new Leader Optimus mould comes out I think it would create a real cool evolution of a hero kinda vibe. :cool:

orionpax1
12th May 2009, 07:15 AM
I am getting none as i dont like the look of them but i will probably get prime as i did not get the one with swords and ravage if he looks alright, but otherwise not a fan of the figures.

Tetsuwan Convoy
12th May 2009, 08:08 AM
Some

Mainly for my "Cybertronian mode" fetish I have. A forklift and Bi-plane Transformer are ones I have wanted for ages. Probably Leader Op coz he looks nice, but might go for the Takara version. Maybe Devastaor if the size impresses me (and hes is on SUPER special).

Thats about it methinks.

SMHFConvoy
12th May 2009, 01:32 PM
I'll be getting the LEGENDS class constructicons that TRANSFORM to robot and merge to form DEVASTATOR!!!:) http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/rotf-ez-legends-devastatorwhat-youve-been-wanting/15805/

i_amtrunks
19th May 2009, 02:49 PM
If anyone is sitting on the fence, keep an eye on Seibertron for the next week, Ryan will be posting a gallery a day of new movie figures, until BotCon.

Ironhide63
20th May 2009, 06:36 AM
well, ill probably getting most of them. I think im one of the 2% of the world that actually likes demolishor's figure..and the ROTF devastator is a must, ok, maybe they have no robot modes...i will (probably get them separate) definitely be buying devastator. plus I already got ROTF Ironhide so thats a start!!

Gutsman Heavy
20th May 2009, 11:56 AM
I think im one of the 2% of the world that actually likes demolishor's figure.

I like the look of Demolishor, I just wished hastak put some decent articulation on him, since he has no legs they should have put more movement points into his arms!

Ironhide63
21st May 2009, 06:29 AM
I like the look of Demolishor, I just wished hastak put some decent articulation on him, since he has no legs they should have put more movement points into his arms!

yes...thats very true, he definitely needed more articulation...but Ill still be buying him...for those who say he will warm the shelves of stores around Australia...more for me to get.