PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Animated Se3Ep10 "Decepticon Airs" Discussion

jaydisc
3rd May 2009, 07:25 AM
I'm still watching it, but had to pause in awe of the Die Hard references!!! Anyone else pick them up?

"Come out to the coast. We'll have a good time"

Also cool to see Sunstorm and Ramjet differentiated.

I'm sure this must be one of Wyatt's favorite episodes with all the Swindle time. Does he have a Decepticon logo or something subtly different?

GoktimusPrime
3rd May 2009, 07:59 AM
How the heck did Safeguard make a whirlwind in a vacuum?! (O_o)

My favourite G1 reference: "What on the 5th moon of Pz-Zazz?!" Har!! :D

Also was anyone able to recognise all the Transformers in the crowd during the parade? I recognised: Tracks, Armada Silverbolt (?), Warpath, Mainframe, Huffer, Flipsides and Autrooper! The parade floats were obviously Grandus...es.

Also an amusing line was, "It's a no-processor...er."

Overall I thought it was a good episode. Interesting to see Sari being further developed. Sentinel's development... um... it's kinda sporadic - keeps going forward and backward. I suppose being such a "Happy Timer" he's struggling with the role of being Magnus.

SMHFConvoy
3rd May 2009, 08:38 AM
I suppose being such a "Happy Timer" he's struggling with the role of being Magnus. A role that looks like you have to be elected to. The rumor mill had it that Rodimus was in a better position to be the next Magnus (but I did note that in Transwarped he was an Autobot not Elite Guard) I think the power just went to his head...

Yeah, space tornado what's up with that.

Best line: "So we're picking up hitchhikers now?"

SMHFConvoy
3rd May 2009, 08:41 AM
Also cool to see Sunstorm and Ramjet differentiated.

What's funnier is that they're respectively orange and white and Swindle still can't tell the difference :)

Golden Phoenix
3rd May 2009, 11:02 AM

The Allspark did it

Sky Shadow
3rd May 2009, 11:03 AM
A clever Transformers-style reimagining of Con Air. I loved the lines "May I just say what an admirer I am of the noble arms-dealing profession?", "Nice folks, the Quntessons" and the conehead - non-conehead differentiation.

Also was anyone able to recognise all the Transformers in the crowd during the parade? I recognised: Tracks, Armada Silverbolt (?), Warpath, Mainframe, Huffer, Flipsides and Autrooper! The parade floats were obviously Grandus...es.

I think that's Rosanna rather than Flipsides - more pink than purple. I also spotted Beachcomber, Cosmos, Hot Shot, Brawn, Powerglide and... a blue Bumblebee/Wasp/Cliffjumper (Glyph?) and what looked like another yellow Cybertronian Bumblebee - maybe Hubcap or Bumper?

liegeprime
3rd May 2009, 01:01 PM
What's funnier is that they're respectively orange and white and Swindle still can't tell the difference :)

Mebbe he's color blind having violet eyes and all heheheh

Solar Winds? :D

Well at least now we've finally got the coneheads...... so bring on the toys. :) erm oh wait, yeah the movie has shelved all other projects... darn :rolleyes::(

loophole
3rd May 2009, 02:02 PM
I liked how they explained Swindles bottomless chest storage, maybe thats what all other cartoon characters use too :p

Golden Phoenix
3rd May 2009, 02:37 PM
I liked how they explained Swindles bottomless chest storage, maybe thats what all other cartoon characters use too :p

Maybe Optimus also has one for his trailer

GoktimusPrime
3rd May 2009, 03:26 PM
A role that looks like you have to be elected to. The rumor mill had it that Rodimus was in a better position to be the next Magnus (but I did note that in Transwarped he was an Autobot not Elite Guard) I think the power just went to his head...
Until this episode I thought that Sentinel Prime became Magnus because he was next in rank, not because he was elected into the position. The Autobots appear to operate much like they did in G1 when the Autobot Council stepped back and granted supreme executive power to Optimus Prime. But unlike G1 I don't think Animated's been that clear on how the Autobot military command operates in relation to their senate - do the Elite Guard outrank the Senate or vice versa? My guess is that, since the Autobots seemed to have enjoyed an extended period of relative peace, that the Senate would be at the head - much like how the Maximal Council outranked the Maximal military in Beast Wars (though they themselves were subservient to Vector Sigma).

The way that Alpha Trion spoke to Sentinel and the way that Sentinel addressed the public on Cybertron suggests to me that the Senate may superior to the Elite Guard and that there is some democratic process in him becoming Magnus. I suppose with Magnus being incapacitated, Sentinel Prime is the next in line in terms of being eligible to become Magnus - but perhaps there still needs to be some electorial process to actually promote him to Magnus. I wonder who Sentinel's running against or if it's one of those bogus elections where there's only one candidate. ;)

I think that's Rosanna rather than Flipsides - more pink than purple.
You're right. And it makes more sense for her to be standing next to Autrooper as a fellow KISS Player. Smooch smooch.

I liked how they explained Swindles bottomless chest storage, maybe thats what all other cartoon characters use too
Animé/manga fans would recognise this as a tribute to Doraemon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doraemon)! :D

Maybe Optimus also has one for his trailer
ToyFare Magazine once made a photocomic about what G1 Prime's trailer does when it's not around such as weights at the gym (using its claw arm!), crowd-surfing at baseball games and attending strip shows where it was stuffing cash down strippers' panties with He-Man. ;) I did notice that Prime's trailer did just move off screen just like G1 Prime's trailer. Heh.

Ode to a Grasshopper
3rd May 2009, 07:27 PM
Loved it - Swindle made my day.

Only 3 more episodes to go now...

jaydisc
3rd May 2009, 07:30 PM
The thread title in incorrectly plural.

SilverDragon
3rd May 2009, 08:42 PM
The thing I really liked about this episode was the Decepticons finally getting some real airtime. They've been mostly off-screen for this season, so it was nice to see them again.

While it was rather convinient for Swindle to wander off and leave the prisoners unguarded, it was still totally in character for him. He's not a real Decepticon, he just deals with them the most and has loyalty only to himself. Also, it would be in his nature to grab as much stuff as he could to sell off later. I wonder if he'll return?

Sentinel's character development goes forward and backwards so much it's rather annoying. I don't think you can really give the excuse as 'it's a kids show', since Beast Wars managed character development very well and was aimed at the same audience. Maybe it's just a case of having different writers or something.

The thing that really made the episode for me, though, was the fanwank. The Seeker helmets and all the cameos at the end were great.

GoktimusPrime
4th May 2009, 08:51 AM
The thing that really made the episode for me, though, was the fanwank. The Seeker helmets and all the cameos at the end were great.
I particularly liked the references to Quintessa, Nebulos and Pz'Zazz. :)

Sentinel's character development goes forward and backwards so much it's rather annoying. I don't think you can really give the excuse as 'it's a kids show', since Beast Wars managed character development very well and was aimed at the same audience. Maybe it's just a case of having different writers or something.
They're just not handling his development properly. It's like they want to further develop him and keep him as the knob that he's always been thus far... which of course, defeats the entire purpose of trying to further develop the character in the first place!! Perhaps they should show that he's struggling with a shift in internal moral conscience... but they don't. Instead he just comes across as being bipolar. :(

Sky Shadow
4th May 2009, 09:15 AM
They're just not handling his development properly. It's like they want to further develop him and keep him as the knob that he's always been thus far... which of course, defeats the entire purpose of trying to further develop the character in the first place!! Perhaps they should show that he's struggling with a shift in internal moral conscience... but they don't. Instead he just comes across as being bipolar. :(

It's kind of like Budiansky's comics-Grimlock. He's a jerk. Then he's not a jerk for a few pages and gets himself elected leader of the Autobots. Then he's a jerk again until Prime comes back. (Actually, if Sentinel is bipolar then Budiansky's Grimlock had multiple personality disorder. He randomly went from hero to tyrant to clown, from intelligent to feigning stupidity to actually being stupid and back again.)

But I still loved Grimlock anyway.

SMHFConvoy
4th May 2009, 01:12 PM
I suppose with Magnus being incapacitated, Sentinel Prime is the next in line in terms of being eligible to become Magnus - but perhaps there still needs to be some electorial process to actually promote him to Magnus. I wonder who Sentinel's running against or if it's one of those bogus elections where there's only one candidate.

Maybe Sentinel is the new "Emperor of Destruction" :)
As it is stray threads are being tied off, Shockwave has yet to resurface, with the hammer. What's the big deal with that? Maybe it's like the Matrix, sorry Allspark a symbol of leadership or something else...?

i_amtrunks
4th May 2009, 01:47 PM
Apparently Magnus's hammer was used to create the Allspark holding container, so i guess that makes it powerful?

Loved the episode, Swindle is great, and I loved that Prime exited from the Spacebridge via Swindle's chest. frank Willard was perfectly cast as Swindle's VA.

Starbob Screampants is awesomesauce, he is in the episode for all of 5 seconds and gets the best line, and I know it is ridiculous but I love the slapstick repertoire that Megatron and Starscream have with one another.
Should see Lugnut remove the warp field generator, and have Megatron return to Cybertron in time for Sentinel's coronation.
(would anyone else love to see Megatron completely obliterate Sentinel ala Starscream from the '86 movie?)

Also found it strange that the Safeguard twins followed Optimus's lead rather than Sentinel's direct order, and surely Jazz would have mentioned Optimus and his skills to someone with authority by now?

Tetsuwan Convoy
4th May 2009, 07:40 PM
I thought that maybe Jazz was following the chain of command and didnt want to go over Sentinels head, hence why he puts up with all the stuff.

Great Episode, Swindle was great! Loved the screws being unscrewed from the vent in the roof scene for some reason..:D

The end, with Sentinel askng them to accept him as Magnus had some"ominous" sounding music playing as he said it, maybe he goes a little power happy with his position?

Season 3 so far completely kicks the other seasons in the janglies with a steel capped boot! It s been awesome most of the time with just a single episode of slight (but not complete) Meh in there! Surely after this tey cant leave it at only 3 seasons...

GoktimusPrime
4th May 2009, 09:56 PM
It's kind of like Budiansky's comics-Grimlock. He's a jerk. Then he's not a jerk for a few pages and gets himself elected leader of the Autobots. Then he's a jerk again until Prime comes back. (Actually, if Sentinel is bipolar then Budiansky's Grimlock had multiple personality disorder. He randomly went from hero to tyrant to clown, from intelligent to feigning stupidity to actually being stupid and back again.)
And that's why I prefer Furman over Budiansky. There are some things that Budiansky does do well - better than Furman in some areas... and we owe him a massive debt for playing a big role in giving birth to the Transformers mythos - but on the whole, I prefer Furman. For him, it never ends! :D

I thought that maybe Jazz was following the chain of command and didnt want to go over Sentinels head, hence why he puts up with all the stuff.
He also ignores half the stuff that Sentinel says too. :p