PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight: Wheelie!

kup
7th February 2008, 10:22 AM
http://tformers.com/transformers-ryall-teases-with/8968/news.html

Looks like Wheelie will be in the next Spotlight and people are going crazy all over (in a bad way) for obvious reasons.

Personally, I look forward to it as I am sure that Furman/IDW is no stranger to the fandom's hatred of Wheelie and is taking up the challenge to make him a decent character in the IDW continuity in an attempt to change the perception of the character in the fan's view.

I hope (and it looks like they will) that they emphasize on the concept of 'Wheelie the wild boy of Quintessa' instead of the cartoon.
________
Cumshot Ebony (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/486/ebony/videos/1)

springah
7th February 2008, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I don't understand the hate.

Don't we WANt Wheelie to be cool?

STL
7th February 2008, 10:51 AM
http://tformers.com/transformers-ryall-teases-with/8968/news.html

Looks like Wheelie will be in the next Spotlight and people are going crazy over (in a bad way) for obvious reasons.

I think they're perfectly justified. I might not be going crazy but I am immensely disappointed. There's a world of Transformers out there and IDW have chosen to select a character that has no appeal fandom. It's a story that isn't about the character or the fans. It's a story about a challenge that IDW have set themselves. They want to make Wheelie interesting and relevant. Good luck to them.

But honestly, there are far superior characters out there who are deserving of a Spotlight than Wheelie.

I'll give it a shot and I do hope I'll like it.

I hope (and it looks like they will) that they emphasize on the concept of 'Wheelie the wild boy of Quintessa' instead of the cartoon.

I believe that's the angle of Wheelie that will be emphasised. He could easily have been portrayed as a raw, bad@$$ little snot. Remember that he shot Galvatron in the face. In the face! Furman, I believe, will try and make him more relevant in the war effort b/c as we know he survived on Quintessa so his survival instincts must be good.

This type of characterisation isn't something that would've been prevalent in the 80s as it is today. And that's perhaps a limitation of the character at the time.

I can see Ryall and Furman discussing this one and think it's a flash of genius. I don't think it is. It's almost an exercise in hubris. And if they do succeed, it's one issue. A character's role can only be redefined over a long period. Bludgeon, Sixshot, Nightbeat, Thunderwing etc didn't become favourites all of a sudden. It took arcs and time. People might start saing now, Wheelie was cool in that spotlight. IT's still too easy to turn around and go, you remember the cartoon, right?

And in IDW's G1 universe, there's a lot going on in case you haven't noticed already. I'm not sure how much we'll see of Wheelie so that he can develop into a more relevant character.

1orion2many
7th February 2008, 11:06 AM
:confused:Bumblebee wasn't much better than Wheelie until the movie came out, maybe this will give Wheelie a much needed rebirth and change peoples opinions of him:).

liegeprime
7th February 2008, 11:24 AM
I believe that's the angle of Wheelie that will be emphasised. He could easily have been portrayed as a raw, bad@$$ little snot. Remember that he shot Galvatron in the face. In the face! Furman, I believe, will try and make him more relevant in the war effort b/c as we know he survived on Quintessa so his survival instincts must be good.

Yeah, if trouble rears its ugly mug, run like seven devils are after yah!!:D:D

I thought Arcee would be coming up or did it already come out... I dont keep up with this spotlights now since the local Comics industry here is so late in getting new stuff and the city is just too far away to go just to buy a comic.

kup
7th February 2008, 11:32 AM
Bumblebee didn't really get in the way and annoy the living crap out of everyone. He also had a purpose in the scouting/Intelligence field.

Wheelie after the movie just hanged around annoying the living crap out of everyone with Daniel and both had no reason for being there.

Even with the rhyming, if he had been kept as a background character or more focused on the 'wild boy' aspect, things would have been better or at least tolerable. No one would be objecting to this Spotlight either.

I understand where STL is coming from as a Spotlight from Wheelie kind of takes away the possibility of a Spotlight for a less known but more worthy character but I don't mind. Despite all the hatred, Wheelie does happen to be a significant part of Transformers history and one of the best known characters. Everyone knows who Wheelie is because of the hatred generated by his portrayal in Season 3, he is the most infamous Transformer ever.

I think that Furman noticed that despite the intense hatred, he is still a significant part of TF history and is one of the most 'discussed' characters in the fandom. I say discussed lightly because he is actually mostly bashed and put down in discussions justifiably so. However that doesn't stop the fact that he is also one of the character names most commonly brought up by fans.

Furman is simply trying to add something else to the now 22 year old constant flaming that the character has received with the Spotlight. At least this will make the traditional and common Wheelie bashing threads much more interesting to read.
________
MARIJUANA SATIVA (http://strainindex.com)

STL
7th February 2008, 11:37 AM
Arcee is due out this month. I'm looking forward to that. Plus Fort Max is supposed to play a key supporting role.

GoktimusPrime
7th February 2008, 12:29 PM
It looks like IDW are going to focus on Wheelie's original G1 toy persona as a survivalist and as he was portrayed in "Wheelie, Wild Boy of Quintessa" - where he was like Mowgli from Kipling's The Jungle Book (only that he wasn't raised by wolves :p)

If they do that, then they could actually make him kinda cool. And Wheelie was alright in the G1 comics (although his appearance was brief).

I think if they combine his G1 toy and comic personas - and try to avoid his god-awful cartoon persona, then they could do well.

TheDirtyDigger
7th February 2008, 02:03 PM
People shouldn't be bitching.

This is going to make Wheelie cool. You know Furman will pull it off.

( I always thought Wheelie was cool anyway. They're not rhymes he spouts....that's rap G:cool:)

roller
7th February 2008, 02:30 PM
hes the character you love to hate

i hope they include some of his cartoon persona

i want him to ryme a bit

GoktimusPrime
7th February 2008, 06:28 PM
Furman wrote most of Wheelie's appearance in the G1 comics, and while he wasn't as annoying as his cartoon counterpart, I wouldn't say he was exactly "cool" either. :/

Paulbot
7th February 2008, 07:34 PM
I think Wheelie's odd speaking pattern was supposed to be a TF version of "Me Tarzan You Jane"... but the rhymes made it too cutesy.

As I've posted many a time, I'm all for a Savage Wheelie, and after watching Headmasters Series 3 Wheelie is not so bad either.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/37/119772659_3aa813e71e_o.jpg

GoktimusPrime
7th February 2008, 11:16 PM
Ya know... if I ever got a spare Wheelie toy, I'd repaint it in those colours and call it something like "Wild Boy of Quintessa Wheelie." :)

Lord_Zed
8th February 2008, 12:06 AM
Maybe Wheelie will die like Ramjet did in his lame Spotlight. I thought Grimlock and Mirage are next after Arcee anyways.

STL
8th February 2008, 01:29 AM
Maybe Wheelie will die like Ramjet did in his lame Spotlight. I thought Grimlock and Mirage are next after Arcee anyways.

You're right they are. Wheelie's the next one I think as there's nothing slated for April 2006.

In my opinion they've screwed up scheduling a bit. In April 2008 there's nothing except the TFM Sequel comic yet in March they've double solicited Grimlock and Mirage. They would've benefited from splitting the two into separate months.

Soundwarp
8th February 2008, 07:23 AM
Bring Wheelie into the next movie and KILL HIM!

GoktimusPrime
8th February 2008, 12:26 PM
Maybe Wheelie will die like Ramjet did in his lame Spotlight.
*high five* :D

i_amtrunks
8th February 2008, 12:35 PM
I think they purposely doubled up on Spotlights in March. I think some trades will be out in April (not sure though).

Personally I am happy with Wheelie getting the Spotlight treatment, he was a character that was stuffed up by the cartoon from his Tech Specs, and deserves a fresh start.

GoktimusPrime
8th February 2008, 05:24 PM
Plot twist: Wheelie unleashes the power of the Matrix... "Arise, Wheelimus Prime!"

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/wheelimusprime.jpg

bassbot
9th February 2008, 09:50 PM
it's one of those interesting pics, they know the hatred and want to challenge it. So they want their devoted readers to check it out, but also in my mind, if it works (and I feel that they wouldn't do it without thinking it can) then they want the rest of us to feel like we've missed out. Imagine missing a comic that truly could change the perception of one character in one issue.
If that happens - wow!

bassbot
9th February 2008, 09:52 PM
also - the next three spotlights are arcee, grimlock and mirage. Wheelie will round out this next 5 of spotlight vol 3. blaster kicked em off.
notice all the autobots.

all hail megatron!

Gutsman Heavy
10th February 2008, 12:16 AM
Imagine missing a comic that truly could change the perception of one character in one issue.
If that happens - wow!

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs19/f/2007/301/a/a/__Chasing_the_Cards___by_Transformers_Mosaic.jpg
already done, and in one page!