PDA

View Full Version : End of an era with the end of Geocities.

griffin
7th May 2009, 01:35 PM
For those of us who have been online since the mid 90s, witnessing the birth and fad of Geocities websites (free websites for newbies to the web), Yahoo (who now own Geocities) is apparently closing them down later this year, as the focus has shifted to more advanced free website formats like facebook, myspace and other blogs.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/24/geocities_bye/

jaydisc
7th May 2009, 01:53 PM
Good riddance.

i_amtrunks
7th May 2009, 01:59 PM
Ah geocities, the annoying "must ahve site" before myspace.

Always thought myspace was a poor mans Geocities...

kup
7th May 2009, 02:01 PM
I use my geocities account for pic storage and a hotlink source. Not fair!

Burn
7th May 2009, 07:02 PM
It's kinda sad really, Geocities was one of the first and definitely one of the better ones.

But the really sad part is the trend towards sites like MySpace and Facebook, while I use them, they're just lack that real personal touch that creating your own site at a place like Geocities gave you.

Lint
7th May 2009, 08:50 PM
It's kinda sad really, Geocities was one of the first and definitely one of the better ones.

But the really sad part is the trend towards sites like MySpace and Facebook, while I use them, they're just lack that real personal touch that creating your own site at a place like Geocities gave you.

Agreed. The exciting frontier days are well and truly done. Onward with the bland convenience of commercial.

Robzy
7th May 2009, 09:19 PM
Nothing lasts forever I spose! I had my very first website at Geocities.

SGB
8th May 2009, 01:52 AM
I had my very first website at Geocities.
Same here, lol.

Paulbot
8th May 2009, 07:42 AM
I used Tripod but long since moved on to Livejournal, Blogger and Wordpress. My Tripod space is still out there but i wonder for how long now if GeoCities is closed?

jaydisc
8th May 2009, 08:45 AM
As Paul has ratified, I think it's more the rise of the Content Management System (aka blog software), and not Facebook/MySpace (although MySpace is considerably more CMSy than FB) that has signaled the demise of Geocities. Back in the day, if you wanted a web page, you had to hack it out in HTML and then FTP it somewhere.

Nowadays, anyone who still hacks it out knows exactly how sh1tty Geocities is.

Sam
8th May 2009, 07:00 PM
Despite whatever flaws Geocities had ... it was where my first website was, and that indirectly got me to learn HTML and JavaScript. In a sense, if it wasn't for the free websites at Geocities, I wouldn't have gotten my job as a web developer (since Computer Science in those days did not teach web development in any great detail).

Burn
9th May 2009, 03:28 PM
I too started off on Geocities, I had a "address" on the first sub-area under Area51. (Remember when they were divided off into "suburbs"?)

Did all my coding through notepad. If there was something I liked on another website i'd look at the page source and see how it was done.

Didn't really progress much further than basic html (changing fonts, doing pictures, tables, use to be able to do frames but I think those are dead these days) but for what I do these days it's all I need. Even though i've progressed to using Dreamweaver.

ahhh the memories.