PDA

View Full Version : Movie 'Preview' toys now out in Australia.

griffin
7th May 2009, 11:26 PM
Sighted at a couple of Target stores in NSW and QLD, are the Preview figures Bumblebee and Soundwave. Price at Target is $29.

At Toyfair they said the Preview wave should be out around May 15th, so expect more stores to have them in the next week.

The main line has a release date of May 30th, and Hasbro would be sending out stock in the weeks leading up to that date, so you might find some stores putting out their stock as soon as they get it.

Robzy
7th May 2009, 11:46 PM
Great news! The excitement builds...

Gutsman Heavy
8th May 2009, 12:02 AM
hmmm will I cave in and buy soundwave... probably :(

Paulbot
8th May 2009, 06:03 AM
$29 for the preview deluxes at Target? That is not a nice preview of ROTF toy prices.

Vector Sigma 13
8th May 2009, 07:18 AM
$29 for the preview deluxes at Target? That is not a nice preview of ROTF toy prices.

Perhaps a preview of my empty wallet?

i_amtrunks
8th May 2009, 08:37 AM
But no surprise that they have gone with a higher price for the movie toys, all the department stores have been sneaking prices up over the past few months to make as much profit as they can from the sequel (since the success of the first movie toy sales seemed to catch them all offguard.)

Strange that Target is first though.

Firecracker
8th May 2009, 09:34 AM
Well hopefully department stores continue with their copious amount of sales so we can purchase Movie figures for a reasonable price. $29.00 is way too much for a Deluxe. I'm itching to grab Soundwave but I can't justify that price-tag

Zahhak
8th May 2009, 02:57 PM
hopfully other stores like Big W maintain their prices,
I don't trust Target as being a trend setter for toy(especially transformers) and despite sales of the last movie I really doubt seeing toys fly off the shelves at that prices, In particular the whole economic thing and considering the direction they've gone with alot of these toys I'm wondering what the reactions from kids are going be.
Does anyone have/know any kids under say 13 that have seen the new movie toys and given some sort of responce? Cause I'd really like to know
That being said I'll almost definatly get soundwave, i've been making a budget plan on what toys to buy when(lets see if I stick to it)

Doubledealer
8th May 2009, 04:24 PM
*yawn* Wake me up when something decent comes out. :p

MV75
8th May 2009, 08:29 PM
hopfully other stores like Big W maintain their prices,
I don't trust Target as being a trend setter for toy(especially transformers) and despite sales of the last movie I really doubt seeing toys fly off the shelves at that prices, In particular the whole economic thing and considering the direction they've gone with alot of these toys I'm wondering what the reactions from kids are going be.

They're all up up up. Bigw is no saint anymore either:

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=95368&postcount=113

~2 hours work for one deluxe now? Definitly count me out.

autobreadticon
9th May 2009, 02:30 PM
They're all up up up. Bigw is no saint anymore either:

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=95368&postcount=113

yeah . toys are toys... if any good ROTF toys do come out i would still rather purchase overseas with the increasing AUD

Robzy
9th May 2009, 03:05 PM
Can't believe how small these figs are... Soundwave in particular - he's tiny! :eek:

(Yet they're still around $30!!! :rolleyes:)

G1Optimal
9th May 2009, 04:11 PM
Going by the prices of those Preview waves....
It should not surprise me much if the "Leader Classes" will be between $90-$120 mark and the "Voyager Classes" will be the $40-$55 mark.

SilverDragon
9th May 2009, 08:14 PM
It should not surprise me much if the "Leader Classes" will be between $90-$120 mark and the "Voyager Classes" will be the $40-$55 mark.

Damn. I think I've actually got incentive now not to buy anything. Hooray for saving money.

willocrew
9th May 2009, 09:44 PM
Hey guys, did the premium movie figures hit australian shores last time round?

Or did local fans have to import them?

Yea.. I remember reading somewhere that it'll be $90.

Golden Phoenix
9th May 2009, 10:27 PM

+1

jaydisc
9th May 2009, 10:33 PM
Hey guys, did the premium movie figures hit australian shores last time round?

Or did local fans have to import them?.

What was available:
Robo-Vision Optimus Prime
Megatron w/Metallic Finish
Ratchet w/Metallic Finish
Deep Space Starscream
Deluxe Jazz
Deluxe Bumbelebee
Deluxe Barricade

What was not available
Voyager Ironhide
Voyager Blackout
Leader Optimus Prime
Leader Megatron

GoktimusPrime
10th May 2009, 07:36 AM
Can't believe how small these figs are... Soundwave in particular - he's tiny!

(Yet they're still around $30!!! )
At 12cm tall Soundwave is quite short for a Deluxe, but he's taller than a standard Scout. He's also 12cm wide which is again considerably wider than a Scout. His transformation is also more complex than most Scouts too, though rather ordinary by Deluxe standards. He's like the missing link between a Scout and Deluxe! :p I only recommend this figure for people movie-character completists.

Autocon
10th May 2009, 04:30 PM
so who thinks premiums will be available this time around? raises hand

ill be the sucker who buys everything!:o:(

Fungal Infection
10th May 2009, 04:48 PM
Found these at my local TRU:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q305/Redboost77/TFROTF.jpg

willocrew
10th May 2009, 06:50 PM
so who thinks premiums will be available this time around? raises hand

ill be the sucker who buys everything!:o:(

Imo, since the leaderclass figures are new molds, it stands to reason that hasbro would want to produce as much repaints as possible.

But I think it ultimately depends on how well the leaderclass sells.

Anyone care to make a guess how well a $90 toy would sell in todays economic doom and gloom? I recall seeing lots of $80 ultimate bumblebee earlier in the year (2009).

GoktimusPrime
10th May 2009, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Bumblebee's always been a shelf-warmer, even during the boom. You have a point though - they should be focussing on making more affordable toys in a time of economic downturn. I don't know how many parents would be willing to get their kids both an entire set of Constructicons and Zordastator. I'm already telling myself that I can only have one or the other but not both and I reckon a fair few parents would be giving their kids the same ultimatum.

i_amtrunks
11th May 2009, 08:25 AM
I'm already telling myself that I can only have one or the other but not both and I reckon a fair few parents would be giving their kids the same ultimatum.

Unless of course his role in the film is craptacular, and kids are not interested in the combined figurine...

Bartrim
13th May 2009, 07:15 AM
Unless of course his role in the film is craptacular, and kids are not interested in the combined figurine...

I think it'll be the opposite. I think that alot of kids will be overawed at "Big D" on the big screen and will go for the combined figure. It'll probably depend on how much screen time the individual constructicons get and how much carnage Devy causes.

i_amtrunks
13th May 2009, 08:05 AM
I think it'll be the opposite. I think that alot of kids will be overawed at "Big D" on the big screen and will go for the combined figure. It'll probably depend on how much screen time the individual constructicons get and how much carnage Devy causes.

Of course. But if we only see Devy for a few minutes right near the end, sucking up some sand before being taken down, then is "awesome" factor will be greatly nullified.

GoktimusPrime
13th May 2009, 08:45 AM
For kids the role in fiction really doesn't matter as much as the quality of the bloody toy. If a toy is good, kids will use their imagine when playing with the toy and give them a good story or what not. At the end of the day, I want to collect these toys as TOYS. Sure, a significant part of my motivation to collect them is influenced by the movie, no doubt's there - but first and foremost I want them to be well engineered and fun to play with. And once the Legends set comes out you don't need to be Perceptor to work out what most kids and parents will opt for. :)

i_amtrunks
13th May 2009, 11:49 AM
For kids the role in fiction really doesn't matter as much as the quality of the bloody toy.

I've got to disagree on one point with you there Gok.
Iif a Kid has seen/read the fiction then the character plays a massive part in the popularity and playability of the toy. The leader/stronger characters are infinitely more popular toys than the supporting cast.

However, if the toy is from a fiction that the child has no exposure to then I digress, that the design and quality of the toy has a far greater impact of the popularity/playability.

griffin
13th May 2009, 12:38 PM
For kids the role in fiction really doesn't matter as much as the quality of the bloody toy. If a toy is good, kids will use their imagine when playing with the toy and give them a good story or what not. At the end of the day, I want to collect these toys as TOYS. Sure, a significant part of my motivation to collect them is influenced by the movie, no doubt's there - but first and foremost I want them to be well engineered and fun to play with. And once the Legends set comes out you don't need to be Perceptor to work out what most kids and parents will opt for. :)

I think you'd be in the minority there. The toys, to fans and non-fans have been like merchandise, in that they are bought to relive or reimagine the character we are familiar with from the cartoon, comic, etc. We might use imagination, but the foundation comes from what we already know about those characters, and how they are portrayed in official media. You wouldn't know if it is a good toy until after you buy it, so kids and parents need to make their decision based on what they do know. That's why show characters outsell non-show characters, reguardless of how good each toy is to play with. Most kids or parents will grab a familiar character over a random toy based on its look on the shelf. Appearance is a factor if it is a range of toys that doesn't have any promotional material (like Universe), but when you have Movie and Animated characters featured on the big or small screen, kids and parents will recognise or be interested in those characters. Especially if they get a prominent role like Devastator appears to be.

That was why the Beast Wars Cartoon heavily featured the bigger toys, because Hasbro knew that the cast was limited, so needed to promote the more expensive toys (Primal, Megatron, Depth Charge, Rampage, Dragon Megatron, Tigerhawk, Optimal Optimus).

It's basic marketting, by featuring the product you want most to sell, and in the case of the Movie, Hasbro find out which characters are featured most, and prioritises them with the larger toy forms and/or multiple toy releases.

Bartrim
13th May 2009, 01:05 PM
I've got to disagree on one point with you there Gok.
Iif a Kid has seen/read the fiction then the character plays a massive part in the popularity and playability of the toy. The leader/stronger characters are infinitely more popular toys than the supporting cast.

I agree with that. I never had Roadbuster and Whirl as a kid because I never saw them on the cartoon (yes I am aware they featured in the comics but growing up in Ulladulla in the 80's TF comics were few and far between)