PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Animated Se3Ep11 "This is Why I Hate Machines" discussion

Paulbot
9th May 2009, 10:33 PM
The episode name and the first few minutes made me think this would be a filler episode... But no it's not!

I wont spoil the surprises, I will just say it's a great episode for Ratchet and a good lead in to the finale.

(Also good to watch it on TV for once :-) )

liegeprime
10th May 2009, 07:36 AM
Just saw it , cooooool! Sigh only this reminds me how its going to be canned soon, and since Arcee is at the tail end of the production line, a) could get canned before full toy production goes - as is HASBROS's TRADITION of ANTI ARCEE, b) SHe gets a figure but is Scalped and goes for Masterpiece prices on Ebay and whatnot. Not trying to be cynical but with Hasbro's history with Arcee figures, it's hard not to. :mad::mad: So erm how many more episodes to go?

MV75
10th May 2009, 07:39 AM
That was awesome.

Tracks was funny. :)

Pity it's badly timed around the movie. So much more potential.

GoktimusPrime
10th May 2009, 09:23 AM
A good episode. Sentinel Prime's reign as acting Magnus is an interesting social metaphor. Having Fanzone running about Cybertron was also interesting, particularly the way he was able to apply his police skills on Cybertron. Also cool to see both Ratchet and Shockwave kicking some can. ;)

And of course, tributes...
+ Background mooks: Grandus, Flareup/Firestar, Powerglide, Zaur, Tracks, Huffer, Steeljaw etc. - seeing them freak out over an organic is consistent with pre-established continuity (ace!) and also just hilarious. :D
+ Maccadam's Old Oilhouse
+ Autroopers as enforcers in the propaganda video
+ Rattletrap is clearly a homage to Rattrap's Cybertronian form. The name is a fusion between Rattrap's English and Japanese names (Rattrap is known as "Rattle" in Japan)

loophole
10th May 2009, 09:57 AM
cool episode but know i dont wether i should get normal coloured Shockwave or his "true" coloured verion

Thanatos
10th May 2009, 01:08 PM
That true colours thing while annoying and painful, is awesome.

GoktimusPrime
10th May 2009, 01:13 PM
I got regular coloured Shockwave. My rationale being:

1/ It's a nicer looking colour scheme on that mould and also Longarm Prime has only ever appeared in those colours. Now that his cover's blown I don't think we'll be seeing Shockwave using his Longarm Prime mode anymore - especially in purple!

2/ Longarm/Shockwave appears in his regular colours for the majority of the series. Let's face it, his "true" colours thing in this episode is really just a gimmick to sell the purple variant of the toy.

To me, purple Shockwave is like Fire Guts Ginrai... a colour variant seen for a limited portion of the show. IMO purple Shockwave would be a cooler toy if it were a limited exclusive like Fire Guts Ginrai. I suppose the only good thing I can say about the purple variant is that they're a lot easier to find online. The original colour version was a lot harder to find (especially from a non-US seller who won't gouge you for postage), but well worth the effort. I got mine from a seller in Singapore for AU$40.

*searches ebay*

Here's (http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-Animated-Voyager-Shockwave-Autobot-Longarm_W0QQitemZ360152817996QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Action_Figures?hash=item53dac7e14c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50) one from Singapore for AU$39.99 and ships worldwide. :)

That true colours thing while annoying and painful, is awesome.
I like Shockwave. :) I can see why some people were disappointed - particularly with the description of the tank mode being the "robot mode fallen over" - but I don't mind it so much. It's an ambitious design -- attempting to give the toy two robot modes and two vehicle modes. Execution-wise the vehicle modes are pretty "meh" as a result, but I think it was a fair effort. But yeah, it's not the greatest toy and I wouldn't recommend it for people who aren't fans of Animated and of the character.

Sky Shadow
10th May 2009, 02:03 PM
So much nostalgia...

I always like seeing Furman's stuff in other media, like Maccadam's Old Oil House.

Humans breathing on Cybertron.

SENTINEL: Set up a perimeter around The Metroplex.

Oh my gods – that was the most awesome cameo this series. Just a shame they didn't get Scott McNeil - that would have made it perfect. (And as well as the cameos Gok listed, I also spotted Glyph and... a 'Sedan' white Bumper too?)

I loved Sentinel Prime's fear-mongering propaganda.

Corey Burton's SHOCKWAVE as HAL: I’m afraid I can’t let you do that.

"Get your head out of your exhaust port!"

Yes! "True colours"! Ha! I have that toy!

MEGATRON: No Autobot would be foolish enough to fire on their greatest weapon.
SENTINEL: I say we fire on Omega Supreme.

This is unquestionably one of the best seasons of Transformers ever.

Paulbot
10th May 2009, 02:37 PM
Autotbot + human in the tunnels under Cybertron fighting Shockwave? Also G1 cartoon-esque.

and no one's mentioned the Elite Guard's familar looking fortress...!

What seemed going in to be filler was really the prologue to the finale and it should be a good one though it has a lot of threads to tie up.

But Gok, the voice credits went pretty fast (and I can't rewind) but I thought they said Rattrap?

bruticus
10th May 2009, 02:52 PM
All i have to say is.... FORTRESS MAXIMUS!!!!!

MV75
10th May 2009, 03:07 PM
"I want all energon diverted to fortress maximus"!

:)

By their contexts though, metroplex is larger. :)

Also Jazz was at his coolest this episode.

"Rise shockwave, my most loyal servant"

*lugnut quivering in anger*

Heh, funniest ending. Lugnut is continuosly praising megatron the whole series and then as soon as shockwave turns up infront of megatron, he gets those kudos.

jaydisc
10th May 2009, 05:16 PM
Awesome episode!!!

It's smart how they're working repaints into the fiction.

And my favorite, which I hope exports well:

"I'm Sentinel Prime, and I approve this message."

Every campaign ad in the USA ends with that line.

SilverDragon
10th May 2009, 05:41 PM
I really liked this episode. I've really wanted to see Cybertron in this series-unlike most others, it's not deserted or post-apocalyptic or anything. So I really liked this episode for giving us a look at Animated Cybertron.

Naturally, cameos followed suit. Grandus! Zaur! Steeljaw! Maccadam's Old Oil House (UK comic nods ftw)! Tracks! RAT(TLE)TRAP! I'm beginning to wonder if there's anyone we haven't seen from DJW's April 1st picture.

Sentinel is a major jerk, to say the least.

Ratchet is awesome. So is Fanzone.

Awesome episode was awesome. Judging from it, the finale will be so awesome it will cause TV screens to explode.

GoktimusPrime
10th May 2009, 06:08 PM

That one flew over my head. The Australian equivalent would have someone like Blurr narrating the video:
"SpokenbyBlurrfortheAutobotEliteGuardIacon." :p

Gutsman Heavy
10th May 2009, 06:18 PM
RAT(TLE)TRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linthart
10th May 2009, 10:08 PM
In the process of being able to watch it now;) are you guys serious
that there is reference to an animated fortress maximus?
please dont tease me :p

GoktimusPrime
10th May 2009, 10:29 PM
But Gok, the voice credits went pretty fast (and I can't rewind) but I thought they said Rattrap?
I watched it on YouTube and the video didn't show the full credits. But according to sources the character's name is Rattletrap.

References
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Rattletrap
http://www.tv.com/Transformers+Animated/This+Is+Why+I+Hate+Machines/episode/1262213/summary.html
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=15053

Linthart
10th May 2009, 11:28 PM
YAY Fortress Maximus, FORTRESS MAXIMUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(ok so maybe i'm a little over excited but seriously why do they 'possibly' have to kill/pause the show and the likely toyline after showing the big boy of transformers?

liegeprime
10th May 2009, 11:34 PM

Oh so that's why even the campaign add from Cobra commander has it hehehe. sorta like a pattern.

Loved the cameos.... I thought that was rattrap, but was thinking could've been packrat as he's got a more scoundrel personality of a thief than rattrap.

Wow all the Big Baseformers covered in one episode! Omega Supreme, Grandus, Metroplex and Fortress Maximus!! Pity no bot mode for the latter 2. Whos the female bot with Grandus btw?

Linthart
10th May 2009, 11:37 PM
Wow all the Big Baseformers covered in one episode! Omega Supreme, Grandus, Metroplex and Fortress Maximus!! Pity no bot mode for the latter 2. Whos the female bot with Grandus btw?

Amen to that mate but i think you got it all wrong too. Pitty no TOY for the latter 2

liegeprime
10th May 2009, 11:39 PM
Amen to that mate but i think you got it all wrong too. Pitty no TOY for the latter 2

Erm make that pity no toy for all of em:(:(

Linthart
10th May 2009, 11:43 PM
Erm make that pity no toy for all of em:(:(

Ok you win:p

GoktimusPrime
11th May 2009, 10:42 AM
Whos the female bot with Grandus btw?
Firestar/Flareup. :)

iceburn
11th May 2009, 12:07 PM
curious...
1. what was going on at the front. i seem to be lost when Ratchet was fixing the Spacewarp?
2. why is Arcee's body there...what's the call on Blackarcnia then?

Linthart
11th May 2009, 01:13 PM
2. why is Arcee's body there...what's the call on Blackarcnia then?

Blackaracnia is elita one

iceburn
11th May 2009, 01:20 PM
ohhh forgotten...got to rewatch that again

i_amtrunks
11th May 2009, 01:21 PM
So many nods to previous series.

This show is so well written its like a bag of nuts where you keep pulling out macadamias and cashews instead of peanuts!

Animated Ratchet is the single greatest character in any transformers animated series. Although I dont think that even Perceptor and Alpha Trion would have let him walk off with the hammer.

Bring on the season finales, If this truly is the end of the series, it really will be going out on a massive high.

Bartrim
11th May 2009, 04:47 PM
that was a great episode... This has been a great season. Unless they completely stuff up the season finale then I think this season of Animated will be my favourite season of Transformers (outside of G1, which has a certain nostalgia for all it's bad animation and odd terrible episode) ever!:D

Ode to a Grasshopper
11th May 2009, 04:52 PM
That was great. Ratchet and Shockwave are awesome, Lugnut's jealousy is beautiful, cameos cameos cameos, and Fanzone was another not-crap human character. I love the way anti-organic sentiment is widespread amongst the Autobots
The only downsides are now I really want that purple Shockwave and I'm going to get serious withdrawal if this is the last season of Animated.

shokwave2
11th May 2009, 05:31 PM
cool episode but know i dont wether i should get normal coloured Shockwave or his "true" coloured verion

Get both. Pose the grey as Longarm and the purple as Shockwave. Everyone wins!

Wheel-J
11th May 2009, 05:43 PM
Get both. Pose the grey as Longarm and the purple as Shockwave. Everyone wins!

Exactly. Me myself may also do that eventrually.

GoktimusPrime
11th May 2009, 05:59 PM
I love the way anti-organic sentiment is widespread amongst the Autobots
Yeah, I thought that was funny too. I liked the way Flareup told Grandus to step on Fanzone - reminds of G1 when Bruticus first saw a human (Ethan Zachary) and was like, "Eww! Can I squish it?!" ;) The scene of Fanzone drooling over Rattletrap and sucking it back in seriously grossed me out... yuck! :p

Zahhak
11th May 2009, 07:09 PM
great episode, purple shockwave was pretty cool and I like jazz intresting(if not slow) character development and it's nice to seem him join the cool autobots:cool:

GoktimusPrime
11th May 2009, 10:06 PM
purple shockwave was pretty cool
IMO most of Shockwave's greatest moments occured under his "Longarm" colours.

and I like jazz intresting(if not slow) character development and it's nice to seem him join the cool autobots
Yeah, Jazz has always been portrayed as being a loyal yet intelligent soldier. He clearly has a moral conscience but at the same time he's not one to defy orders or overstep his bounds. Animated Jazz pretty much lives up to G1 Sideswipe's motto: "I don't break the rules, I bend them - a lot." only with more morally altruistic motivations. So it makes sense that he would've done this. Was it slow? I don't know... I guess he never really had any real compelling reason to side with Optimus' mob before. I think until Sentinel became acting Magnus, Jazz was able to justify working under Sentinel's command of the Elite Guard. After all, Sentinel himself was answerable to Ultra Magnus. But now Sentinel wields executive command - so I guess Jazz feels that he's able to do more good on Earth with Optimus' crew rather than remaining on Cybertron under Sentinel's reign.

Tetsuwan Convoy
12th May 2009, 03:03 AM
That was fantastic! The credits do call him Rattlerap though. Fanzone's nose must be huge. The guy can stick 2 of his fingers in one nostril! I can understand Rattletrap being scared, I wouldn't like anyone dangling a loogie over me either.

Awesome cameos, squealed with delight at Fort Max! Oh and the Powerglide walking by just after Fanzone appears on Cybertron!

Loved the way Sentinel Prime has turned Cybetron into a Post WWII style "Reds under the Bed" paranioa era of 1950's America! I got a little buzz out of that!

"Maybe even your own model" -S.P :D

Awesome stuff. This season is fast becoming my favourite run of TF cartoons! I hope they bring it back after the movies!!!

Golden Phoenix
12th May 2009, 10:00 AM
Loved the way Sentinel Prime has turned Cybetron into a Post WWII style "Reds under the Bed" paranioa era of 1950's America! I got a little buzz out of that!

"Maybe even your own model" -S.P :D

Awesome stuff. This season is fast becoming my favourite run of TF cartoons! I hope they bring it back after the movies!!!

I Approve of this Post

liegeprime
12th May 2009, 10:09 AM
Yes I also do want/hope they come up with a whole new season once the movie season is over. Although the toys have indeed been not to everyone's liking TF Animated is making its own indelible mark with its homages to G1 but at the same time a mark that is absolutely its own flavor that has been so acceptable to the fandom. It has better quality in continuity, nostalgia, character handling, appeal to adults and kids, fans and Im pretty sure even nonfans and no (well, not much) irritating human backup characters unlike the failed miserable attempts with Armada/Energon, ick! I still can't get my head around how the parents of those useless kids allow they're children to gallivant around with giant robots all over the planet and beyond.

GoktimusPrime
12th May 2009, 11:14 AM
Was it just me, or when Rattletrap started talking you can hear this "blip" sound which sounds like the Maximals' comlink signal from Beast Wars?

Tetsuwan Convoy
13th May 2009, 02:42 AM
Hmm, not sure there gok, will have to watch it again.

HURRAH!:D

Just checked, I think the noise is just ehad movements. It doesn't coincide with speech regularly but at the start of the scene there are water droplets. Well maybe not water perse, but liquid drop noises:p

autobreadticon
14th May 2009, 09:39 PM
Rattletrap reminds me of that little midget bounty hunter in G1 that really scaley and looks like a pig, can't remember name but you should know what i mean

GoktimusPrime
14th May 2009, 09:55 PM
Are you talking about Slizardo (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Slizardo)?

Zahhak
15th May 2009, 02:50 AM
I think he mean Skuxxoid, the one always talking about his family or something like that.

GoktimusPrime
15th May 2009, 10:17 AM
Ah yes. Much like Gammoreans (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gamorrean) but made pink with scales and given higher intelligence level to avoid copyright infringement with George Lucas. ;D Hmm... if I ever find a cheap loose Gammorean I might grab it and repaint it as a Skuxxoid! (lawlz) :)

SMHFConvoy
15th May 2009, 06:49 PM
Yes I also do want/hope they come up with a whole new season once the movie season is over.

Well no one is saying, yes or no. I think that it might be a continuation of the series. Really. I think that it'll rebranded though.

Maybe as Transformers: Neo or something.

We'll all find out soon enough, "Endgame" is upon us.