PDA

View Full Version : <Facepalms> Drift. As a toy.

Sky Shadow
14th May 2009, 11:24 PM
Well, it looks like Shane McCarthy will be getting his Drift toy... kind of.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/sgcollect-to-make-a-drift-model-kit-167547/

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/sg-collect-to-make-exclusive-drift-model-kit/15812/

Are these the same incompetents who made those horrific Ultra Magnus heads?

kup
15th May 2009, 12:44 AM
Well, it looks like Shane McCarthy will be getting his Drift toy... kind of.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/sgcollect-to-make-a-drift-model-kit-167547/

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/sg-collect-to-make-exclusive-drift-model-kit/15812/

Are these the same incompetents who made those horrific Ultra Magnus heads?

if they are the same people, I honestly can't wait to see the final product! :D

Drift deserves a toy such as that.

King Atlas
15th May 2009, 01:32 AM
It seems they are the very same people. They also produce the those "K.O." Cliffjumper kits (said to be of inferior quality).

i_amtrunks
15th May 2009, 10:46 AM
Drift deserves a toy such as that.

Right now it seems as though his feet are joined together by the spoiler...

Not that the Drift fanboys will mind how crap the toy is, as long as he has swords they'll be happy. :rolleyes:

Lord_Zed
15th May 2009, 01:02 PM
Eeeep not another reason to dislike Drift.

I was hoping that Hasbro woulde actualy release a cool drift toy so we could better bond with the character.

i_amtrunks
15th May 2009, 01:16 PM
Eeeep not another reason to dislike Drift.

I was hoping that Hasbro woulde actualy release a cool drift toy so we could better bond with the character.

And one would think that if hasbro were releasing their own version of Drift in the near future, they would put a stop to any garage kits, that may impede their sales?

Looks like hasbro Au may have been correct about the "no drift toy" comment from months ago.

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th May 2009, 07:48 PM
I wonder if this is officially endorsed or what.

lcz128
17th May 2009, 08:38 AM
doubtful, TC!
But that said, I'd love to get one and assemble/paint etc it - AS LONG AS it actually fits in with the classics/henkei scale :)

edit:
heh - and as long as they don't use crappy manufacturers (damn - I'm from Malaysia and I know they're dodge sometimes, but GEEZ!) they should be cool -

Kyle
17th May 2009, 09:47 AM
They should have more experience by now, and deserve another go.

lcz128
6th July 2009, 03:50 PM
So... final pictures have arisen:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/new-sg-collect-dft-01-drift-images-168075/

To be quite honest - if the maker's painted version looks so...textured (cause of the 3d printing) I'm kinda more glad now that I didnt fork out the cash for it :(

Would like to get a Drift toy in the future - but a Hasbro release or something with real good plastic qlty :D

TheDirtyDigger
6th July 2009, 04:02 PM
The design is nice in a sort of Gundam-y way. The paintjob looks f%$#ing s#!+house.

griffin
6th July 2009, 04:25 PM
This'll probably be the last straw by Hasbro against Fan-made stuff. With Hasbro doing their own Drift toy next year, they won't want to see unauthorised items competing with their official product. Before it was just items that complimented official toys, now it is an actual known Hasbro toy being replicated.

fatbot
6th July 2009, 04:29 PM
This'll probably be the last straw by Hasbro against Fan-made stuff. With Hasbro doing their own Drift toy next year, they won't want to see unauthorised items competing with their official product. Before it was just items that complimented official toys, now it is an actual known Hasbro toy being replicated.

Sorry i must have been out of it, when was the Hasbro Drift news released?

SilverDragon
6th July 2009, 04:51 PM
Mold looks okay, paint looks rubbish. Combined with the fact that more than a few people dislike Drift, I don't think there will be many, if ANY, of these things sold before Hasbro sues them down.

kup
6th July 2009, 04:57 PM
Yeah as far as I knew the news about a Drift toy went along these lines:

IDW: There will be a Drift toy.

Hasbro: No - There won't be a Drift toy.

So is Hasbro actualy making one now?

Paulbot
6th July 2009, 04:59 PM
Sketches of a Drift toy were shown at Hasbro's design panel at BotCon (and covered in Griffin's reports I'm sure). As it was only sketches and not even prototype it was assumed it's still a long way off.

kup
6th July 2009, 05:02 PM
Sketches of a Drift toy were shown at Hasbro's design panel at BotCon (and covered in Griffin's reports I'm sure). As it was only sketches and not even prototype it was assumed it's still a long way off.

I missed that.

Yeah then the people making this custom and treading in boiling hot water - However I honestly doubt this figure will sell very much. The makers already have a bad rep with the previous kit and word on this toy since it was announced has hardly been positive. The makers are risking a lot for what could be speculated as little return.

GoktimusPrime
6th July 2009, 07:03 PM
to be fair I think this garage kit was designed before news of Hasbro's Drift toy was announced - and yeah, this is news to me! If I were Hasbro I'd probably just send them a letter telling them to desist rather than throwing legal weight around. I'm sure Hasbro wouldn't want to repeat Takara's mistake with that fiasco at BotCon Japan 2000. It took both Takara and Ichikawa Hirofumi a lot of work for a long, long time after that to repair company-fan relations after that incident. (-_-)

kup
6th July 2009, 07:31 PM
to be fair I think this garage kit was designed before news of Hasbro's Drift toy was announced - and yeah, this is news to me! If I were Hasbro I'd probably just send them a letter telling them to desist rather than throwing legal weight around. I'm sure Hasbro wouldn't want to repeat Takara's mistake with that fiasco at BotCon Japan 2000. It took both Takara and Ichikawa Hirofumi a lot of work for a long, long time after that to repair company-fan relations after that incident. (-_-)

Never heard about this incident. What happened? or is there a link to details?

lcz128
6th July 2009, 07:33 PM

What happened with the takara thing? :o

And... if you really want to be technical, idw/mccarthy unofficially said that there was going to be drift toy waaaaaaaaaay back when - definitely before the design of the cybertron version was seen around ;)

Tober
6th July 2009, 08:52 PM
Drift as a character and toy was announced by the IDW panel at SDCC last year. Recent interviews with Shane MacCarthy stated that Drift was still in progress but still in planning stages.

After Hasbro dodged the question at Botcon this year maybe IDW will make an announcement at this years SDCC - about 3 weeks away.

GoktimusPrime
6th July 2009, 11:02 PM
Never heard about this incident. What happened? or is there a link to details?
What happened with the takara thing?
In BotCon Japan 2000, Ichikawa Hirofumi had created an exclusive comic book called The Cybertron Chronicles and was selling it to fans simply to cover the cost he spent printing it. So he wasn't out to make a profit, just trying not to make a loss, which fans understood and were willing to support him on. Takara then stepped in and said that the comic book was unlicensed and an infringement, so they ordered Ichikawa to give away all the comics for free. Attendees and fans across Japan were outraged to say the least over the way that Ichikawa was forced to make a substantial financial loss. While what Takara did was within their legal right, fans found it completely senseless as the comic was in no way impacting on Takara in any negative way - if anything it was helping to further promote Transformers.

As a result there was massive widespread condemnation against Takara from fans. Takara at this time was also starting to fall into financial strife too; so they went into extreme damage control. They forged an alliance with Ichikawa Hirofumi - the very fan whom the fandom thought Takara had wronged, and hired him as part of the creative team for Transformers - his work is detailed in his TFwiki page (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hirofumi_Ichikawa); works include:
+ e-Hobby exclusive TF bios
+ Pepsi Convoy bio
+ DVD exclusive "Linkage" comic
+ The Story of Binaltech
+ Some illustrations for TFC and Hasbro Commemorative reissue boxes.
+ Some toy designs for Energon and Cybertron

...so a lot of good came out of the subsequent alliance between Ichikawa and Takara but sadly one casualty of the incident was BotCon Japan - it was disbanded after the 2000 incident. :(

kup
7th July 2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the good history lesson. I didn't know about that.

liegeprime
7th July 2009, 12:28 AM
...so a lot of good came out of the subsequent alliance between Ichikawa and Takara but sadly one casualty of the incident was BotCon Japan - it was disbanded after the 2000 incident. :(

Awww man, it would have been so much cheaper and closer if there was Botcon in Japan. With Jetstar prices really cheap now :mad::( plus I would like to go to Japan one of these days..... and going on a Botcon event would be an added bonus. Well at least there is still that Winter toy festival thing with a lot of other robots featured as well....only need to time and yeah money.