PDA

View Full Version : Could Hasbro's recently closed TV joint venture be related to the end of Animated?

jaydisc
24th May 2009, 09:34 AM
Hasbro finalized the deal with Discovery Network to create a new, branded children's television channel.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/other-news-20/hasbro-and-discovery-channel-close-deal-to-create-rebranded-television-network-167668/

Perhaps this has something to do with the death of Animated or at least the silence regarding the future of Animated?

Golden Phoenix
24th May 2009, 10:13 AM
I think Hasbro said Cartoon Network were free to continue producing Animated if they wanted to.

If they are going to continue is the question

MV75
24th May 2009, 10:31 AM
I see it as a start to Hasbro getting into the "educational" toys/shows department even more so.

There is no "Hasbro must show it's IP assets exclusively" being mentioned anywhere. They'll still use CN and boomerang.

SMHFConvoy
24th May 2009, 10:38 AM
There is no "Hasbro must show it's IP assets exclusively" being mentioned anywhere. They'll still use CN and boomerang.

True but if Hasbro now has it's own channel why not use it? Transformers are a well known and popular brand. A TF show on this new channel would attract viewers. There are a few countries that do not have the Discovery Kids channel (Australia for example) so they'll probably air shows on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network...

The question that remains is that will there be a high standard of content and not just an arena to show off the latest toy?

MV75
24th May 2009, 11:21 AM
A tf show on that channel wouldn't happen. It's discovery.

jaydisc
24th May 2009, 11:43 AM
It's not Discovery channel. It's Discovery Communications, the company that runs about 8+ channels, of which ONE is The Discovery Channel.

The Press Release states, "joint venture to create a rebranded television network dedicated to high-quality children’s and family entertainment" (bolding mine)

Now, that's not to say that the entertainment won't be educational, but no where does it state that the combined venture will only be educational. If so, it doesn't seem to make much sense for Hasbro to invest in it.

MV75
24th May 2009, 12:14 PM
Well maybe you should have linked the news link that actually explained that then. Noone reads past the inital link. ;)

http://www.pr-inside.com/hasbro-closes-investment-in-joint-venture-r1271757.htm

And you should have bolded "rebranded television network". Those are the important points that are missed in the tfw2005 page.

Now it's coming together. We'll have a new Hasbro channel as it were, but only on a premium plan like boomerang is by my guess, so I won't see it anyway. ;P

As for animateds' future, as Griffin edited out my point, it's not really entirely due to this, it's due to a little thing called Transformers: Revenge of the fallen movie that is coming soon, is why animated is wrapped up.

Plus I could argue that three seasons really are enough, any more and it just drags on into mediocrity, so I'm glad it is done. The only shame is the timing is a little late and toys have been put off/post-phoned.

But, you also do have a point there too, any further animated types of series would be put on hold until they get their own channel would make perfect sense. And perfectly timed for that little speed bump of a movie to be done and done. :D Right in the middle before a third one... See where this is going?

And it's not out of the realms of possibilities that they can then sell their shows 6-12months down the track to CN/boomerang to air.

STL
30th May 2009, 12:29 AM
I honestly can't see why Hasbro would do this. The commercial TV space isn't an attractive proposition these days given the way TV revenues have fallen. That said, I'm not particularly in tune with the way the American TV system is structured but I think it can't be going great over there. The only reason I think Hasbro is behind this is that it gives it synergies in marketing its product range. But even that might be too high a price to pay and you'd have to question what the return on that would be.

jaydisc
31st May 2009, 08:57 AM
From someone at the panel via Twitter: "Animated ended because of new discovery kids deal, there will be a new series on the new network."

griffin
1st June 2009, 12:38 AM
THe Head Hasbro guy there said straight up that there would be no more ANimated cartoon, but they would be releasing toys into early-mid 2010 in the same packaging. They showed a number of items that are still on their release schedule:
- Electrostatic Soundwave w/ Ratbat
- Arcee
- Rodimus Minor
- Cybertronian Ratchet
- Cybertronian Ironhide (redeco with different head)
- Fugitive Waspinator (just a green redeco of Bumblebee -they did want a new head but costings wouldn't allow it)
- Goldfire Grimlock
- Hydrodrive Bumblebee
- Blackout (Earthmode - helicopter)
- Wingblade Optimus (deluxe toy with extra parts)
- Thundercracker (voyager redeco)

Ode to a Grasshopper
1st June 2009, 01:42 AM
RIP Animated - You Shall be Missed.:(

No Animated Red Alert, Strika or Cyclonus either...But at least we'll finally have a good car Arcee.

i_amtrunks
1st June 2009, 11:12 AM
Let us hope that future toys are made from the possible IDW continuation of the Animated series in comic form.

(Not confirmed, by IDW is apparently trying to nut out a deal)

Wheel-J
1st June 2009, 11:29 AM
They showed a number of items that are still on their release schedule:
- Electrostatic Soundwave w/ Ratbat
- Arcee
- Rodimus Minor
- Cybertronian Ratchet
- Cybertronian Ironhide (redeco with different head)
- Fugitive Waspinator (just a green redeco of Bumblebee -they did want a new head but costings wouldn't allow it)
- Goldfire Grimlock
- Hydrodrive Bumblebee
- Blackout (Earthmode - helicopter)
- Wingblade Optimus (deluxe toy with extra parts)
- Thundercracker (voyager redeco)

Did they show just a list? or photos of the prototypes or concept sketches? Just curious coz I don't see pics of some other mentions like blackout and wingblade OP.

autobreadticon
1st June 2009, 08:46 PM
im really hoping that the next 'animated cartoon style' are kinda one-off episodes of the minibots not explored in the animated cartoon (were in the crowd), if the new series does use the animated cartoon style it could blowup in their faces kinda like beast machines

Paulbot
3rd June 2009, 01:06 PM
Did they show just a list? or photos of the prototypes or concept sketches? Just curious coz I don't see pics of some other mentions like blackout and wingblade OP.

The toys were shown in the powerpoint display (no photos allowed) but the toys were not present in the booth so no photos.

Wheel-J
3rd June 2009, 01:26 PM
The toys were shown in the powerpoint display (no photos allowed) but the toys were not present in the booth so no photos.

One of the many reasons in attending botcon is you have first glimpse of upcoming toy releases. Need to save for it next time. :)

autobreadticon
3rd June 2009, 01:59 PM
can't wait for the full botcon write-up, little details from the presentation help form a mental image of the final toy in my head :D