PDA

View Full Version : Universe/Classics 2.0

Ironhide63
24th May 2009, 02:51 PM
What is your favourite Universe/classics 2.0 figure and why...mine would be Ironhide, for obvious reasons, but Inferno comes pretty close. So if you end up in between me and a Universe/classics 2.0 Ironhide figure...get out of my way. This is more a pointless thread, I just want to know which are the better universe figures, Ill definitely get Hound w/ Ravage, Megatron if I find him, same with Prime, definitely Soundwave. Starscream too, ok just tell me your favourtie and why.:D

kurdt_the_goat
24th May 2009, 03:07 PM
This should probably go in the Reviews section rather than News - there's actually a thread for feedback already (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2158&page=30) - i'll post my response in there :)

Ironhide63
24th May 2009, 03:09 PM
This should probably go in the Reviews section rather than News - there's actually a thread for feedback already (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2158&page=30) - i'll post my response in there :)

oops

GoktimusPrime
24th May 2009, 05:52 PM
Classics Optimus Prime is my favourite. Even better if you can get the nicer Henkei Convoy version. Compared to Ironhide he has a nice clean alt mode, whereas with Ironhide - as kurdt said - has seam lines all over it... which isn't necessarily a bad thing provided you transform it properly, but it does makes the transformation more fiddly. The articulation is more limited and the head staring down thing just bugs me. I see no reason why his head couldn't have been on a ball-and-socket joint. :/ This isn't to say that Ironhide's a bad mould, but Optimus Prime comes out on top for me.

Having said that, Universe/Henkei Ironhide is a far more ambitious design. Classics Prime is an original design so HasTak took their own liberty with making that figure, whereas Ironhide was an attempt to mimic the G1 cartoon/comic model which defied laws of reality and made his 'trailer' disappear when he transformed to robot mode. Universe/Henkei Ironhide attempts to have an Ironhide that resembles his G1 Marvel model which requires hiding a lot of the vehicle mode that would've been the trailer on the G1 toy - some of it becoming incorporated into the robot and some of it unavoidably becoming kibble. To that end I think that HasTak did a commendable job. :)

...I just wish he'd stop staring at his feet. Silverbolt too.

Defcon
24th May 2009, 06:06 PM
I could post in other thread but this is nice new fresh one :)

I like Inferno, he is good stocky character, larger than the other voyagers.

I also like the sunsteaker, and prowl molds. I recently acquired red alert and smokescreen. Love the paint decos on these.

My least liked is probably octane, I mean Tankor :D

jaydisc
24th May 2009, 06:12 PM
Classics Jetfire, because he's the closest thing I've ever had to a toy of Skyfire.

blackie
24th May 2009, 06:30 PM
this is a hard one, but i listed the ones that stand out:

For looks:
Henkei red alert
- Quite possibly the hottest henkei so far that i own. looks absolutely amazing in my display, and will look even better with a new rocket launcher that's coming soon :)
Henkei Dirge
- Another amazing looking toy, the best of all the exclusives i own. Not only does it represent the G1 dirge well, it also makes it more modern and much better looking

For toyness:
Jetifre
- Great toy to both play with and display, another excellent modernization

For overall awesomeness
Henkei Hound
- Another amazing toy and looks great too :)

AllHailBlackout
24th May 2009, 07:00 PM
All the figures I have opened from the universe and classics line are Ramjet from classics and tankor from universe. The rest are deluxes unopened.

I have had Ramjet for a while - very blocky and G1-esque. I love his colour scheme and his posability is pretty good. Everyone seems to be bitching about tankor.. he seems alright to me, other than the weird undercarriage that serves as a scissor-type weapon in robot mode. I like the plane mode and thats the mode I keep him in for the most part.. again undercarriage a bit bizarre.

I refrained from the more expensive voyagers and ultra class figures from this line as a lot of my inspiration for getting back into collecting was from the movie lines and I didn't want to throw too much money at those guys.. although at one stage had a lot of the big guys on preorder from BBTS. I am inclined however to get the blaster/dirge mold. :D

Doubledealer
26th May 2009, 02:48 PM
Universe: Jetfire

Like:
-Very solid, sturdy figure
-Both modes look great
-Nice play value

Dislike:
-The helmet (way too big)

Henkei: Cyclonus

Like:
-Clever transformation
-Perfect robot mode
-Comes with a target master!
-Excellent colours

Dislike:
-It can't lay a golden egg

kristofferrer
26th May 2009, 03:47 PM
I'm a big fan of all the figures in this line ... heck the only real beef (and it's ever so minute) i have about them is that i wish they made them according to their scale with one another.

To answer your question though; I would have to say side swipe -
everything about him is so cool!
He's the most versatile figure and this is evidenced by recycling the mold for other characters e.g, sunstreaker, punch/counter punch as well as other customs. There's very little compromise to either of his transformations. He looks good as a robot and looks good as a car.He's fully posable and i really like the head surfacing gimmick.

the only quarm i have is with his legs ... sometimes he looks like he's wearing flares from the 60-70s like disco stu, this probably enhances his appearance.. podbody's nerfect :P

http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/thumb/2/26/Henkei_Lambor_toy.jpg/250px-Henkei_Lambor_toy.jpg

Versus

http://animatedtv.about.com/library/graphics/discostu.jpg

BigPenney
26th May 2009, 05:23 PM
Classics:
Definitely Cyclonus. While his alt mode may be a bit iffy at the rear, his robot mode more than makes up for it. I love messing about with this guy and although his arms are a little limited in motion, he can get into some really imposing poses. I think the darker colour scheme also helps with this.

Henkei:
My favorite would definitely have to be Megatron. I love the colours, it has good use of the chrome and the transformation is just the right level of complexity for me.

Ode to a Grasshopper
26th May 2009, 07:23 PM
Only have henkei Cyclonus and am waiting until my home situation is more settled to open him...

Tough call on my favourite Classics/Universe release though, I'm torn between Cyclonus 'cos ol' bunny ears finally has a decent robot mode and Mirage (who I don't actually have yet but loved while playing with my nephew's).

GoktimusPrime
26th May 2009, 07:50 PM
Between Cyclonus and Mirage I prefer Mirage primarily because Cyclonus' vehicular mode is somewhat disappointing at the aft, whereas Mirage's alt mode is solid. :)

Lord_Zed
29th May 2009, 02:47 PM
I think I'd have to go with Henkei Hound and Smokescreen, they were two of my G1 favourtes I never had as a kid. And the Henkei treatment on these two is just perfect they look just like thier G1 Counterparts.

Not sure who my favourte Universe toy is, I'm rather partial to Rodimus though.

STL
29th May 2009, 11:12 PM
All-time Classics: Skyfire. Hands down. Unbeatable. Never will be beaten. And if it is, I won't be complaining b/c it'd have to be one hell of a fine toy.

Classics 2.0: Sideswipe. I don't think a single Classics 2.0 can beat a Henkei, the Henkei almost always edging ahead in my opinion. Sideswipe's the exception b/c he's got no chrome spoilers unlike the silly Takara one. I would've been happier if they'd given him two guns, one chromed the other in the black and white missile colours. On top of the paint issues, the mold has to be one of last year's best.

Henkei: So many to choose from but C-01: Prime has to be the pick. That or the Crystal Convoy version, it doesn't matter. To me, those figures just exude love for a mold that I originally liked but wasn't that impressed by. To me, it's the high point of what a good paint job can do for a toy and just make that much more appealing.

SilverDragon
6th June 2009, 10:05 AM
I think my favourite would be Sunstreaker. Great in both modes, head-reveal gimmick works without constraining the toy, and he's really, really poseble. I'd like to get my hands on Classics Mirage one day, since I've heard he's a great toy as well (and yes, I do know about the Special Edition Dragstrip repaint, but I like blue more than yellow).

Closely following him are Cyclonus and Dinobot. Cyclonus's alt mode is alright, but his robot mode amazes me because there is no indication that it transforms at all, so well is the kibble hidden/integrated. Also, Nightstick is fun. I'd likely not be putting Dinobot in so high if it weren't for my fondness for the character and dinosaur Transformers. His colours drag him down a bit (which is why I'm going to try for the Henkei version eventually), and his orange sword-missile and lack of spinning tail-shield aren't exactly to my liking.

My least favourite would be Cheetor. This is because of his eye-colour gimmick, which works fine but gives his bot mode a giant wad of cheetah hanging off his back. It's not even decorative kibble, like Prowl's door-wings.

RageOnTheRoads
6th June 2009, 10:52 AM
Classics 2.0: Mirage + Hound easily. Love the molds, the vehicle modes, and mirage gets extra points because he came in a swanky drag Strip re-paint :D

All in all though its hard to think a universe fig I don't like... besides cheetor and Dinobot

Adzma
6th June 2009, 12:57 PM
Definately Henkei Cyclonus. A faithful reproduction of the G1 toy with all the toy making know-how of the 21st century.

Deceptic_Optic
6th June 2009, 01:55 PM
Prowl! I just love the transformation to car and robo mode. He is the reason why im into Henkei toys hehe

Gasaraki
8th June 2009, 06:27 PM
Interesting thread...

If we're including the original Classics line, then I'd have to say Skyfire is tops by quite a margin. Fabulous, original, imaginative, comic accurate, fun, great quality. All the stuff we could ever wish from a TF. The only thing that matches this in my humble experience thus far is ROTF Leader Prime, who owns the Movie line like Tiger owns golf :cool:

Once, again, if including original Classics, I'd have to put Starscream second. Quite possibly the most accurate incarnation ever - and that's counting the Masterpiece. And sooo nicely done.

If it's just considering Classics 2.0... then boy it's a tough choice. For me, Sideswipe probably edges out tops (but I'm biased ;)). Cyclonus and Hound are fantastic candidates in their own right.