PDA

View Full Version : Not Enough People Want A G1 Transformers Game

G1Optimal
7th June 2009, 02:07 AM
Thought this might be interesting...

Not Enough People Want A G1 Transformers Game (http://kotaku.com/5280135/not-enough-people-want-a-g1-transformers-game)
Source:Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/)

sorry, in advance "if" this is the wrong place to post this.

Defcon
7th June 2009, 07:07 AM
Well they are probably right, a G1 styled game wouldn't sell as fast as say the new movie game. It all comes down to promoting a product also, example they could incorporate the designs of the Transformers universe toys, and introduce some modern human characters. They could just make a single level game with a couple of transformers, release it for free as a download and see the reaction. I'm happy for them to add G1 content to the actual movie game, throw in some bonus levels that have settings and themes based off the original cartoon.

SentinelPrime
7th June 2009, 07:27 AM
thats true. the ps2 armada game sold millions around the world initially, but after everyone caught on that it sucked, no one touched it. the last movie game was so popular because of the movie release and the g1 faithfuls hoping it would be their transformers game of the century, but another epic fail. lets hope this time round we get some quality gaming, there really is no need to tie it in with the movie. just some awesome gameplay, ridiculous scenary, wicked graphics and heaps of easter eggs, is that too much to ask?

Ironhide63
7th June 2009, 08:26 AM
I reckon Transformers fans around the world should start a petition.
So heres one for Ozformers...if you want a G1 based Transformers game, quote this comment and add your name. (Or quote the most recent quote of this comment)

Ironhide63,

GoktimusPrime
7th June 2009, 08:39 AM
Is anyone really surprised about this?

...I liked the Armada game. :( I still say it's the least suckiest of all TF games. Of course, that's not saying much considering how suck TF games are. :/ Ironically my favourite all time TF game is Transformers Monopoly. ;)

Gutsman Heavy
7th June 2009, 12:05 PM
I thought the Armada game rocked! It has massive boss battles (Tidal Wave!) years before God of War did it!

RageOnTheRoads
7th June 2009, 12:13 PM
I am cool with G1 or movie. Decent game play is the only must have. :D

sifun
7th June 2009, 12:48 PM
the armada game was actually reviewed to be pretty good. Had pretty slick graphics for ps2.

Lint
7th June 2009, 01:58 PM
Ahem, don't let this slander be true! Show your support by playing IRONHIDE: The Game

74 views is pitiful :p

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=4329

GoktimusPrime
7th June 2009, 05:32 PM
The only thing I didn't like about the Armada game is the lack of multiplayability. Otherwise I really liked that game. :) Most TF games are single player, which I think sucks. The only multiplayer TF game I can think of is the Beast Wars Neo game, which I've heard is crap anyway. :/

Gutsman Heavy
7th June 2009, 07:37 PM
BW: Neo game is pretty decent for a game boy fighter.

The PC Beast Wars game (shooter) had a multi-player death match (PSX didn't), apparently it was ok for the time. The 1 player mode was crap.

The Beast Wars fighter on 64 & PSX was pretty crap, but at least had the real cast for the voices, unlike the shooter

Vector Sigma 13
7th June 2009, 08:45 PM
Ive been trying to get a copy of the Japanese G1 Transformers for yonks without success: Ive heard it isnt the best game but it has a lot of G1 goodness in it.:D

Check out the details here:

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Transformers_(Atlus)

Im sure someone on here would have played it or has it.

Gutsman Heavy
7th June 2009, 10:42 PM
I had the game, it is bloody horrible! The only redeeming factor is the huge playable character list.

kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick, transform, die. Cry.

Tetsuwan Convoy
7th June 2009, 10:44 PM
Overall there have been more G1 games than any other.

2 on commodore 64, I think the names were just "Transformers" and "TF Battle for earth." One was a decent (for the time) platform game and the other a dodgy shooting into the screen one.

Mystery of Convoy on NES

Headmasters on Famidisc.

That G1 fighter on PS2.

I am curious to know how well it sold on the PS2. I think it made it to the "platinum" range (or whatever the Japanese equivalent is). It sure is a crapola game though. Like seriously bad. So bad that the only good thing is the TF License.

So it doesn't suprise me we don't have a recent release of a g1 game. The games market doesn't allow for experimentation or whims of fancy, so we usually see either the same old trash being dished out or good old franchises again and again and again. How many sequels have been announced at E3?

Golden Phoenix
7th June 2009, 11:01 PM
I really liked the Armada game. The only things I didn't like about it were its lack of multiplayer and lack of playable characters.

It looked pretty good (especially for a PS2 game) and handled like a big robot should....ok, maybe a little sluggish, but just a fraction

Tetsuwan Convoy
7th June 2009, 11:19 PM
Yeh, I aggree GP, The armada game was by far the best TF game we have had so far. I thought it was a little short and Hotshot was too disadvantaged later in the game.

Man, that Tidal Wave boss fight was the most awesome thing I had seen in videogames!:D

Bartrim
8th June 2009, 05:01 PM
I love the Armada game. The only problem I have is how blatantly obvious the differences in characters are. Hot Shot is quick yet weak (esp in later levels) Optimus is strong but so sluggish making it a no brainer to play as Red Alert. I too would of liked a couple of more characters and multi-player. I also thought it was quite funny that Unicron was the easiest level in the whole game:D

GoktimusPrime
8th June 2009, 08:26 PM
I played the Beast Wars game when it came out. It was crap, even for its time. The worse thing would have to be the irritatingly slow transformations... you'd cop damage (and at times get killed) from Energon exposure and/or enemy fire during mid transformation. The graphics were horrid too, even for its day. The only thing I really liked about it was the ability to toggle the spoken languages... like playing Optimus Primal in Italian; "Gorilla optimiza!" (despite the fact that the Italian name for the Optimus Primal toy was Blackjack - he was called "Gorilla" in the Italian mode of the game. Cheetor's French name was an improvement over his English one; Velocitor)

enforcer888
8th June 2009, 08:30 PM
The downside to most of the TF games is the boring enemies you're mostly up against. Clones and whatnot. But I suppose you can't go killing off major characters nor get the artists to create hundreds of unique character models.

Gutsman Heavy
8th June 2009, 08:39 PM
The downside to most of the TF games is the boring enemies you're mostly up against. Clones and whatnot. But I suppose you can't go killing off major characters nor get the artists to create hundreds of unique character models.

unless it the G1 ps2 game, then get used to killing Ironhide or Skywarp over and over.

SilverDragon
8th June 2009, 08:46 PM
I thought the Armada game rocked! It has massive boss battles (Tidal Wave!) years before God of War did it!

Yoshi's Island had a massic boss battle years before Armada. :P But that's just nitpicking.

While a G1 game would be well-received by the fanbase (assuming it doesn't suck), I doubt that would be enough people buying it to justify not basing it off the more prominent movie franchise.

I for one liked the movie game, although the one I played was the DS version, which was awesome in a small cartridge. Unfortunately I lost it, but there are loads of old stock around going really cheap, and a new game will be out soon, so I'll buy the new game since I don't particularly want to play through the same levels again.

GoktimusPrime
8th June 2009, 09:09 PM
In that regard I thought it was neat how the Armada game had various different kids of Decepticlones to battle. I also like how the game worked Mini-Cons into it and gave you an incentive for hunting them down. :)

willocrew
9th June 2009, 01:36 AM
People today just aren't as familiar with the origins of the franchise to gamble on the nostalgia factor alone

One would assume that if they actually made a good game, they wouldn't have to rely on 'nostalgia' to sell copies of the game.

A good game is a good game.

i_amtrunks
9th June 2009, 08:40 AM
the armada game was actually reviewed to be pretty good. Had pretty slick graphics for ps2.

I vaguely remember it scoring 8/10 and better at a number of game review sites.

it was a fun game, although pretty damn hard. Whenever I go back to it and replay it now, I always cheat, as it was quite a hard slog the first time around.

Easily the best TF game, although the two Animated games, (DS and the handheld) were fun in their own right.

No matter how sucky the RotF games are , they will sell by the bucketload, just like the first movie games.

Bartrim
9th June 2009, 10:03 AM
If they were to release a G1 game I would like it to be an expanded version of the G1 Awakening mobile game, which IMO for a mobile phone game is fantastic.

jgon2098
9th June 2009, 10:07 AM
would love to see a 1v1 fighting game. god ginrai chokon power!

though rpg is probably more suitable...

GoktimusPrime
10th June 2009, 09:39 PM
would love to see a 1v1 fighting game. god ginrai chokon power!
What do you think the Beast Wars Neo game was? ;)

There's like some kind of curse over Transformers video games - none of them have ever been really successful or widely considered to be excellent. :(

roller
10th June 2009, 10:09 PM
i dont believe that t

thaeres just an excuse to not make one now

Gutsman Heavy
10th June 2009, 10:48 PM
When Activision say there's not enough people that want a G1 game what they really mean is they can't exploit the license and make one game every year for the rest of time (IE; Guitar Hero, Tony Hawks Pro Skater, 1 billion crappy movie tie-ins)

its the same reason they dumped the new Ghostbusters game and Brutal Legend, which is looking to be quite a hit, so much so Activision are a tad annoyed they let it go, and are now suing to block its release (http://kotaku.com/5279036/activision-sues-brutal-legend-devs-to-halt-release) from rival publisher EA.

In short, Activision = video game Satan

Tetsuwan Convoy
11th June 2009, 01:50 AM
EA arent much better though. Often called Dollars McMoney, they killed off the Ultima series..... Despite the phenominal success of Ultima Online.

Ironhide63
11th June 2009, 06:45 AM
i think a G1 based Transformers RPG would/could be the best game...someone has to do this...it would be awesome.

Zahhak
11th June 2009, 07:45 AM
Personally, I always wanted to see a game based on a cross with WarWithin and IDW's release of transformers. I really fancy the idea of fighting on cybertron and as long as you mess with the timelines a bit you can easily put a clone based army to fight for both sides(Centerions, The Swarm, Omega Sentinals as mini bosses)

only problem with that is you don't get the real life alt modes you mode on an earth based game.

Ode to a Grasshopper
11th June 2009, 09:10 PM
How hard can it be to make a decent game about giant transforming robots with laser guns dammit?!:mad:
TF Tataki is painful just to watch, Armada was fun but too much exploration and not enough fighting (and even then it was too hard for casual fun IMO), the Movie game was sad aside from the interactive backgrounds (Barricade throwing a giant donut around town was delicious)...the closest thing I've ever found to a decent TF game was Robotech Battlecry on PS2.:(

GoktimusPrime
12th June 2009, 10:09 AM
i think a G1 based Transformers RPG would/could be the best game...someone has to do this...it would be awesome.
5 years ago a group of us in Sydney played a G1 TF RPG campaign based on the BESM system. I've heard others use Mekton Zeta but I personally haven't played it.

I recently started making one based on the Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast 'universal D20' system (compatible with games like Dungeons & Dragons and Star Wars Miniatures, which runs of the base/core rules of the RPGs). Click here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3986). :)

"I'm..." <rolls 2D20> "...pleased to meet you!" - Gary Gygax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gygax) (The Simpsons)

counter_punch
12th June 2009, 10:28 AM
Hey I've heard of that before

Years ago on a d&d forum one guy in Brisbane was asking for help to try and create a transformers rpg.

He said he had completed it but couldn't get any real transformer collectors to play it for some reason, I would say he lived near Brisbane because he said he could get D&D players to play it but not transformer fans.

Weird.

Lint
12th June 2009, 05:53 PM
Hey I've heard of that before

Years ago on a d&d forum one guy in Brisbane was asking for help to try and create a transformers rpg.

He said he had completed it but couldn't get any real transformer collectors to play it for some reason, I would say he lived near Brisbane because he said he could get D&D players to play it but not transformer fans.

Weird.

No thats perfectly understandable

Tetsuwan Convoy
13th June 2009, 11:13 PM
How hard can it be to make a decent game about giant transforming robots with laser guns dammit?!:mad:
TF Tataki is painful just to watch, Armada was fun but too much exploration and not enough fighting (and even then it was too hard for casual fun IMO), the Movie game was sad aside from the interactive backgrounds (Barricade throwing a giant donut around town was delicious)...the closest thing I've ever found to a decent TF game was Robotech Battlecry on PS2.:(
Apparently quite hard...
If you have access to a Jap PS2 this Macross game (http://au.gamespot.com/ps2/action/choujikuuyousaimacross/index.html)craps quite heavily all over that (IMO) lame Battlecry game. Really makes you feel like you are there and in the dog fights! Awesome game. Only came out in Japan though which is a shame.

No thats perfectly understandable
ROFL! Well said!