PDA

View Full Version : packaging

Autocon
10th June 2009, 08:30 PM
how do you prefer your tfs packaged?

you prefer to transform from alt to robot or robot to alt first time around?

iceburn
10th June 2009, 08:38 PM
i go robot mode...saves the trouble of transforming and always ready for display once out of packaging! :D

optimus1
10th June 2009, 08:41 PM
Personally I much prefer Alt mode, I always saw it as kind of a 'reward' to see the finished bot mode at the end.

jaydisc
10th June 2009, 08:54 PM
Ooooh. As I look at my shelves of packaging, I love having a mix!

As far as which way to transform first... it's a great question. Again, I love the mix, but I'll say that since they're robots in disguise, I prefer to start in disguise.

SofaMan
10th June 2009, 09:14 PM
Personally I much prefer Alt mode, I always saw it as kind of a 'reward' to see the finished bot mode at the end.

+1

liegeprime
10th June 2009, 09:18 PM
Alt mode , so I can see if the alt mode is any good, at times ( well more recent figures) tend to have dreadful paint apps in their alt mode which really makes the item disheartening. This can also be true to bot mode - An. UM as an example, but as was mentioned earlier by optimus1. i like transforming them to bot mode, then mebbe back to altmode, but to bot mode first :D

Seraphim Prime
10th June 2009, 09:20 PM
My impulse response was to say vehicle mode.

However, thinking about it a little more, I have to say it impressive when you buy a figure like Leader Prime or Leader Megatron, and you you can see them in all their robot glory. It also is better for character recognition, in a marketing point of view.

Although, I've always liked vehicle mode.

enforcer888
10th June 2009, 09:27 PM
Robot mode because nowdays I really can't be bothered transforming most of the time.

Sky Shadow
11th June 2009, 08:30 AM
"I don't care", but with more complex toys I guess I'd at least prefer it if whatever mode the toy starts in is the same as the mode that begins the instructions. Purple Animated Shockwave is packaged in Decepticon robot mode, but he has grey Shockwave's instructions, which begin as a tank. With a toy like that, where every part can have up to four different configurations, it can be a bugger working backwards through the instructions (which show the finished product of each step, presupposing you know exactly where the step began) in order to ensure each of the four modes is exactly right.

roller
11th June 2009, 11:56 AM
i voted robot

mainly because in recent years, i feel as though the gap between the real product and 'colours and products may vary' have grown

Because i plan to have the toys displayed in robot mode, better to have it packaged in robot mode so i can see whether theres any paint splotches

G1Optimal
11th June 2009, 01:37 PM
Whatever,
Keeps it well protected "if not as well, as" makes it cheaper.:D

SilverDragon
11th June 2009, 08:28 PM
I don't really care about what mode it's packaged in, though it is kind of nice to transform a toy to robot mode so you can finally see it in person.

klystron
11th June 2009, 08:48 PM
I went with alt mode.
Not really sure why though... maybe just cause I think its usually the most compromised mode and one that I like to "see in real life" before I buy.
But now I think about it about it a little more, robot mode is more appealing. :rolleyes:

Good question!

Doubledealer
11th June 2009, 09:17 PM
Definitely alt mode. It actually really bugs me if they come packaged as robot as I feel like the best surprise has already been ruined. It's like telling Mr Lizard he has to sit in a fridge for ten minutes before he gets to bask under the warmth of his heat lamp. Well, not really but whatever.

SentinelPrime
21st June 2009, 08:46 AM
i voted robot

mainly because in recent years, i feel as though the gap between the real product and 'colours and products may vary' have grown

Because i plan to have the toys displayed in robot mode, better to have it packaged in robot mode so i can see whether theres any paint splotches

+1

Sky Shadow
21st June 2009, 11:16 AM
i voted robot

On the other hand, I've had the experience that some toys that are packaged in robot mode (e.g. Stealth Lockdown) can't actually transform into vehicle mode. This is bad.

STL
22nd June 2009, 11:41 PM
It really does depend. The Henkei Prime looks great packaged in robot mode while the Skyfire doesn't. Yet Classics 1.0 Prime looks sucky in alt mode but Classics Skyfire looks awesome in alt mode. It all depends on the angles

AussieJason
23rd June 2009, 01:04 AM
Tough one, but I voted Alt mode.

In my opinion this seems better for most series, possibly with the exception of Animated.

shokwave2
23rd June 2009, 03:53 PM
I display my TF's in robot mode. But i always transform it once before displaying it. So it doesn't really matter what mode i get it in, i'll always transform it. What's the point of buying a TF if you're not gonna transform it:confused:

GoktimusPrime
24th June 2009, 09:16 AM
I say what's the point of buying a Transformer if you're not gonna play with it! ;) I display them in robot mode too - a big reason for that is shelf space - robot modes are far more space economic than alt modes! :)

Having said that, when I have another variant of a toy or another version of that mould, then I'll display one in alt mode. e.g.: I display...
+ Omega Supreme in robot mode; Gadep in rocket base mode.
+ Perceptor in robot mode; Magnificus in microscope mode.
+ Original 1984 Optimus Prime in truck mode; reissue Convoys in robot mode
+ Original Optimus Prime's trailer in trailer mode; reissue Convoy's trailer in combat deck mode. Black reissue's trailer in repair bay mode.
+ Binaltech Grimlock in robot mode; Binaltech Wheeljack in car mode
...etc etc etc. (^_^)

STL
29th June 2009, 12:14 AM
Looking at hte Fallen in packaging, he's very cool in robot mode. I was way more excited seeing him in packaging than I would've been with alt mode.

To Punish & Enslave
29th June 2009, 12:37 AM
Alt mode is cool in most cases. The exeptions are bots like star scream MP. He looks great in the box in robot mode.:)

Autocon
29th June 2009, 02:09 AM
should have added another option: the one that shows the most paint apps:p