PDA

View Full Version : G.I.Joe

Soundwarp
11th February 2008, 06:04 AM
"Yo Joe"

After spotting a new member that expressed an interest in Joe's thought i'd start o thread. I personally LOVED it as a kid, i wish that they were as popular as TF's are right now so i could have a sub collection like Griffin does with the MOTU.

So post away peeps!

GoktimusPrime
11th February 2008, 09:46 AM
I'm not really a G.I. Joe fan, but I was talking to Lord Zed about the current G.I. Joe line and he was telling me about how Hasbro is far more focussed and dedicated to G.I. Joe than Transformers. It appears that Hasbro shows G.I. Joe a similar level of dedication to collectors that Takara does toward Transformers.

When Aaron Archer first took the helm of Hasbro's Boys' Toys dept he stated in interviews that he was personally a G.I. Joe fan and that he had grown up playing with G.I. Joe - he also admitted that he was not a fan of Transformers and never had any real interest in Transformers as a youngling.

Now I don't have a problem with Archer growing up with G.I. Joe and preferring to be a G.I. Joe fan. What I do have a problem with is the fact that Archer seems to be very focused when it comes to his beloved G.I. Joe but notoriously unfocused when it comes to Transformers! We've all noted time and time again that Archer/Hasbro often don't seem to be paying attention when it comes to Transformers, and Lord Zed pointed out to me that the kind of glaring mistakes (and other things that generally irk fans) that Archer makes with Transformers he never makes with Transformers. On top of that, Archer does a lot of really cool things with G.I. Joes that specifically appeal to hardcore G.I. Joe fans/collectors, like apparently there was a blue variant of the new Baroness figure - representing the fact that Baroness was frequently coloured blue in the Marvel comics during the 1980s/90s instead of black like the original toy and in the cartoon (IMO Baroness was a lot hotter in the comics than the cartoon :p). This is something we often see Takara do with stuff like the e-Hobby exclusives!!

So what gets me is that Archer demonstrates that he and Hasbro ARE capable and willing to cater for collectors/fans! It's just that they don't choose to do so for Transformers! They'll do it for Star Wars - which is understandable because of the massive fanbase - but G.I.Joe, which Lord Zed conceded has a much, much smaller fanbase than Transforemrs - receives more focused attention from Archer!

Why? We could think of no other reason than Archer putting in his personal bias for G.I. Joe - in other words, favouritism. (-_-)

Again, I have no problem with Archer making the G.I. Joe line more fan/collector focused - what I do have a problem is with the fact that he isn't this focused with Transformers. Transformers, in Lord Zed and my observation - appears to have a larger and stronger fanbase than G.I. Joe yet it receives far less focused attention from Hasbro.

And I have a suspicion that the live action G.I. Joe movie was something that Archer pushed for whereas the Transformers movie was something that was spawned largely on the franchise's own merits.

Archer's favouritistic treatment toward G.I. Joe reeks of personal bias and just makes him look unprofessional. Professionally he should be regarding all of Hasbro's lines on equal terms and equal focused attention.

TheDirtyDigger
11th February 2008, 10:26 AM
I read that GI Joe was based on Nick Fury and SHIELD. That's cool.

springah
11th February 2008, 10:32 AM
I read that GI Joe was based on Nick Fury and SHIELD. That's cool.

Hahaha, damn straight.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-larry-hama-enlists-with-g-i-joe-movie-3764

(well not really, but sort of)

Paulbot
11th February 2008, 11:25 AM
Never owned a single GIJOE toy and never interested in doing so.

But I loved the comic. I bought many issues of the UK TF comic in which I'd already read the US TF story it reprinted, but I wanted to follow the backup GI JOE story. The period from around GIJOE US 45 - 75 had some fantastic stories.

griffin
11th February 2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks to the various crossovers with TFs and all the backup strips in the UK Marvel comic, I am a bit of a fan of GI Joe as well. Just not enough to start buying any of the toys (unless I suddenly had millions and there were no more TFs to buy), but I did collect the GI Joe comics, both old and new series.
Never saw the cartoon though, which I think was like TFs, in that the comics had the deeper, more complex stories.

GoktimusPrime
11th February 2008, 12:08 PM
My brother and I only owned a relatively small amount of G.I. Joe figures - but my brother was like Paulbot, avid collector of the comics, which I read off him. ;)

Rampage
11th February 2008, 02:49 PM
i turfed the last of my gi joe vehicles not long ago as they were in terrible shape :mad:

H.A.V.O.C
Conquest X-30
Snow Cat
Devil Fish

the only fig i have left is Monkeywrench

others i had a s kid were:

B.A.T v1
Cobra Commander v3
Leatherface v1
Dr. Mindbender v1
Sgt Slaughter v2
Techno-Viper v1 (still have his back pack & claw weapon)
Destro v2

Lord_Zed
11th February 2008, 05:52 PM
Cobra!!!

I am a casual collector of G.I Joe. And have a quite a few figures, perhaps I should count at some point. Being small figures there cheaper than transformers so I often aquire many in a small amount of time, or when I'm at the collectors fair and I can't find any TF's. I recall Toy's R Us stocked one of the recent lines not so long ago, and sold them of for a few dollars for 2. needless to say my collection almost doubled in size.

I first started collecting Joe's or more specifically Cobras (I have more Cobra's than Joes) around the time of the 4th or 5th year. I started with the B.A.T and the robot like ones, as a kid I loved how they had so many accessories compared to other figures out on the market. I became cemented as a Gi Joe fan because of the comic, I hate the cartoon but the comic is great, In fact though I'm still more of a TF fan, I do prefer Larry Hama's writing style to even Simon Furmans, however I find transformers a more exciting concept.

My interest in GI Joe goes up and down, even more so than my interest in TF's but at the moment it's on the up, thanks to a relatively decent comic arc, and the newest line of 25th anniversary G.I. Joes. These are like the classics of GI Joe remakes of the original popular figures but with modern sculpting. As I was discussing with Goktimus (as mentioned above) the newest line of Joes is far more focused than I've seen before in either the Joe or Transformers. The original 6 figure giftpack sets had pictures of original box art, comic covers, toys and cartoon stills and a sound device that played the first line of the theme song.

Now while I agree this is more attention to detail than Hasbro has ever given the Transformers, I must also point out that the previous G.I. Joe lines suffered from much of the same lack of attention as Transformers. In fact there are quite a few names that were reused for completely new characters, so now there are 2 Long Range's in the Gijoe universe, both in the same team but each is a different person, with a different file name. there were also a number of uninspired repaints, badly moulded out of proportion figures and horrible colour choices. So GIJoe has had it's Armada too. While it does seem likely that Archer is favouring Gijoe with this new line, it could still be the 25th anniversary tag line making him sit up and pay attention. We wont know for sure till we see what Hasbro does with the Transformers 25th anniversary.

As for GIjoes fandom, It seems to do pretty well in the states, that have JOECON or something like it, which has exclusive mutifigure packs and what not much like Botcon. I don't know about fan groups in Australia, one toy line fan community is enough for me.

Original Firefly
http://www.yojoe.com/action/84/84card/firefly.jpg

25th anniversary Firefly
http://www.yojoe.com/action/07/cardedimages/firefly14.jpg

Soundwarp
11th February 2008, 06:03 PM
This thread could get dangerous for my wallet.

Paulbot
11th February 2008, 06:08 PM
That 25th Anniversay Firefly is a pretty cool looking package and I hope that Hasbro has big plans for the 25th TF anniversary next year (although Encore has a similar feel and Classics is a similar idea).

Lord_Zed
11th February 2008, 06:46 PM
Firefly is a pretty cool looking package and I hope that Hasbro has big plans for the 25th TF anniversary next year

Me to, the Gi Joe 25th anniversary line has set the bar pretty high, 6 waves so far, and while there have been plenty of re-paints, or same sculpt with a new head the repaints actualy reflect the original line, or match chracters from the comic or show. While I'm sure it costs a lot less to develop a Gijoe sculpt than it does a TF, I hope Hasbro lift thier game next year, the Univserse/Classics are a good start but they still seem to be making some poor choices (white Powerglide).

Firefly again
http://www.yojoe.com/action/07/cardedimages/firefly14.jpg

Same sculpt, different head, accesories and paintjob = Beach head.
http://www.yojoe.com/action/07/cardedimages/beachhead10a.jpg

liegeprime
11th February 2008, 10:34 PM
Since this is about Joes I have a question for those who do collect them. What do you use to replace the O ring in the old joe figs? I have about oh - 40+ figs ( back in Phils) , mostly Cobra ( luv em more) but some of the figs are suffering from cracking O rings... I dont know what to replace them and due to this I had to retire 1 frag viper, my Gnawgahyde dreadnok, Destro V1as well as an iron grenadier.

My fave is of course Cobra Commander! Since my fave is TF is Starscream - both Characters treacherous, cowardly ( their self preservation instincts are very high :D) and voiced by the late Chris Latta. I'm so very pleased of the relaunch ( sort of like Encore) event that happened late last year in Phils with the 5 packs of the more popular figs getting a more detailed sculpt - woohoo!
Even with the vehicles Cobra has the more interesting ones. Names alone is far more creative - F.A.N.Gs, H.I.S.S. tanks, M.A.M.B.A.s et all really cool!

My friend back home said that he will reserve a new version Cobra Commander - loose. Im hoping I could find more 5 packs as they're pretty sold out and only hobby shops sell them there now.

Im curious as to how they changed the O ring on the newer molds, if they have O rings at all, or probably now a ball and socket thing, my friend wont elaborate. Says you see it for yourself when you arrive here.

Hoping that they (Hasbro) reissue a Cobra-la pack as well. An improved Nemesis enforcer fig. Coz the first one does no justice at all to the cartoon version. The wings are small and the figure looks dreadful, not menacing , muscularly bulky with a big batwings like it should be. Also a Phytona figure would be most welcome - she's like Arcee in TF world - a neat character that never saw a figure ever made of. Like L. Zed I tend to browse and buy off Joe figs in the parra fair as theres not much TFs to buy at times... might as well bulk up on another collection I have been neglecting. :D Will try to migrate them here a swell but priority for now are the TFs and Comics.

hound
11th February 2008, 11:37 PM
I've over 150 vintage Joe figures and about 25 vehicles from childhood. Lately I have been building up my army of ARAH vipers. As of now, I think I have near to 90 25th anniversary figures and growing. Lots of doubles and triples as I buy the whole case for every wave. With the movie slated to be out next year, the Joes will be a force to be reckon with, and prices will go up just like Transformers after the movie.

Question about the o-rings, you can purchase new rings from online site such as smalljoes.com or gijoeheaven.com. You can get new screws or figure stands from there too.

Cobraaaaaaaa.....!!!!!

liegeprime
12th February 2008, 01:08 AM
Question about the o-rings, you can purchase new rings from online site such as smalljoes.com or gijoeheaven.com. You can get new screws or figure stands from there too.

Cobraaaaaaaa.....!!!!!

Yeeeeessssssssss! Thanks for the information Hound! Mosssssst appreciated.

Soundwarp
12th February 2008, 06:09 AM
I've over 150 vintage Joe figures and about 25 vehicles from childhood. Lately I have been building up my army of ARAH vipers. As of now, I think I have near to 90 25th anniversary figures and growing. Lots of doubles and triples as I buy the whole case for every wave. With the movie slated to be out next year, the Joes will be a force to be reckon with, and prices will go up just like Transformers after the movie.

Cobraaaaaaaa.....!!!!!

Oh i demand pics now :P

GoktimusPrime
12th February 2008, 09:09 AM
damn those rubber o-rings... and for some reason, their crotches easily broke too. I have way too many castrated GI Joe figures. :p

Paulbot
12th February 2008, 09:35 AM
Not to go too off topic, but as someone with no Joes toys I'm wondering if you could use the Joe "O rings and screws" to fix broken Action Masters? Are they similar sizes?

GoktimusPrime
12th February 2008, 09:44 AM
When I had braces I used to use spare rubber rings to fix some of my busted Joes... they were never as tight as their original rings though.:(

Lord_Zed
12th February 2008, 06:13 PM
My fave is of course Cobra Commander! Since my fave is TF is Starscream - both Characters treacherous, cowardly ( their self preservation instincts are very high ) and voiced by the late Chris Latta.

Same here, except I prefer the comic Cobra Commander, who is the above, but also manipulative, schemeing and merciless, much like Beast Wars Megatron (my favourte Megatron personality wise). Comic Cobra Commander never hissed either, and sometimes displayed a command of the english language that would amaze a university english lecturer, and some of his schemes were really quite brilliant. He also didn't seem to like dogs much
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/zedkaiser/250px-CobraCommander1.jpg

Pretty obvious I'm a fan.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/zedkaiser/Cobra.jpg

Im curious as to how they changed the O ring on the newer molds, if they have O rings at all, or probably now a ball and socket thing, my friend wont elaborate. Says you see it for yourself when you arrive here.

The new figures do not have a waist joint but instead have one in thier midsection bellow the ribcage, this will be the subject of some debate as to it's merits I'm sure. I will say visualy it works for some figures and doesn't so much for others. I'm not sure exactly what's holding the figure together though, as I've never taken one of the new figures apart. The only visible screws these new Joes have are those in the inner thighs.

My friend back home said that he will reserve a new version Cobra Commander - loose. Im hoping I could find more 5 packs as they're pretty sold out and only hobby shops sell them there now.

The figures in the 5packs are now selling seprately on standard cards in the US apparently.

Hoping that they (Hasbro) reissue a Cobra-la pack as well. An improved Nemesis enforcer fig. Coz the first one does no justice at all to the cartoon version. The wings are small and the figure looks dreadful, not menacing , muscularly bulky with a big batwings like it should be.

I despise Cobra La with a passion! Nonetheless the 25th Anniversary line seems to cater to fans of both comic and toon, and toynews says that one of the future comic packs will feature Nemisis Enforcer and LT Falcon :eek:. No pics yet, but it will have to be good to make me get it, I only really enjoyed the first 10 minutes of the movie. :mad:

liegeprime
12th February 2008, 11:20 PM
I despise Cobra La with a passion! Nonetheless the 25th Anniversary line seems to cater to fans of both comic and toon, and toynews says that one of the future comic packs will feature Nemisis Enforcer and LT Falcon :eek:. No pics yet, but it will have to be good to make me get it, I only really enjoyed the first 10 minutes of the movie. :mad:

Ah yes that themesong is so precious! Fave scene is the debate of Cobra Commander's "excellent stewardship" of Cobra. The moment he shouted "hogwash" back at Serpentor I was all smiles hehehehehe! Also what I enjoyed in the cartoon is that background sound effect when they are showing Cobra, sounds like a metal fork thats been banged and made to resonate and sound like a horrible menacing scratchy growl of an unknown animal... luv it dont know where to find that effect and download it though. Would be nice as a text alert sound.

G1Optimal
13th February 2008, 04:45 PM
This brings back memory's ...:D
The only thing i really liked when i had the G.I.JOE line, was the vehicles... :o

I can Vaguely remember having
"H.A.V.O.C w/Cross Country"
"Conquest X30 w/Slipstream"
"I really liked the Conquest X30, The main, "if not sole" reason was it had the ability to lower and raise the landing gear".:D
"Tomahawk w/Lift Ticket"
& "Snow Cat w/Frostbite".
"Those Missiles w/skis were a nice touch":D

Also just remembered that I wish i could of gotten "Skystriker" , "The USS Flag", And that Shuttle command center playset as well. :(

"I have to go check this all up on this web site (http://www.yojoe.com/) i found on the internet".

GoktimusPrime
13th February 2008, 08:32 PM
The H.A.V.O.C. was one cool toy. Never had it but I had a friend who did and damn it was fun. :)
One of my favourite scenes from G.I. Joe The Movie was when Nemesis Enforcer picked up a H.A.V.O.C. and ripped Snowjob out with his bare hands (and claw). :D

Video! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0wM1-oKizk)

Lord_Zed
13th February 2008, 11:39 PM
Man the G.I. Joe movie is so corny.

I always find it amusing that Richard Gautier voiced both Serpentor and Rodimus Prime (in the TF tv series) the 2 lesser (often despised) leaders of thier respective factions, poor guy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/75/Serpentorprime.jpg
Yes this REALLY happened, Serpentorprime from the Devils Due crossover series

I had several of the veichles, have most of them still today. I even have a Second hand Havoc (but I didn't collect GIjoe when it was originaly released. My Favourte veichles are those from the first 4 years with the amazing detail for thier time. Probably my favourte is the Warthog and amphibious APC that could float, and was packed with sculpted detail of the interior, all 3 hatches had sculpted control panels and wahtnot. It sure showed up the Turtle Wagon which didn't even have a steering wheel.

Other favourtes that I had were:
Cobra Ratller (A modified A10/VTOL)
Cobra Snow Wolf (the Snowcats nemesis)
GIjoe Raider (a giant futurisitic looking tank)
Cobra Hiss 2 (The upgrade for the Hiss, bigger and meaner)

Have many others too, including some sad ones like the Septic Tank.

As a kid I always wanted all the jets, being a huge jet fan. But I only ever got the Rattler and the Liquidator, (although I have a semi complete Nightraven now). I always wanted the Cobra Condor and the Skystryker and Tomahawk.

Soundwarp
14th February 2008, 06:00 AM
Pics pics pics pics pics!!!!!!!

Man i loved the Joe series as a kid.

liegeprime
14th February 2008, 06:45 AM
Man the G.I. Joe movie is so corny.

Have many others too, including some sad ones like the Septic Tank.

Yuck!!! isnt that where your poop gets deposited :D:D
heheheehhe. I never knew they had a tank of this name. But then theres a lot in Gi Joe I didnt follow after the movie.

Didn't have ANY of the vehicles - so I had to make them of hard craft paper myself based on Catalogues I got from my friend. it was more interesting that way for me as well coz I can "customize" the look. BUt My all time faves are the Rattlers (used the tissue roll centers as the wing gyros :D), Morays and the Fangs (1) I even had my own terrordrome ( out of lots of KFC Styro Buckets). Unfortunately It didn't last long and I got more into TFs so I didn't repair them. But I still got my figs heheheh - most for migration here.

GoktimusPrime
14th February 2008, 03:27 PM
yeah, that was when G.I. Joe went through that "bio-eco" thing... heh.

foor
14th February 2008, 09:04 PM
Yes this REALLY happened, Serpentorprime from the Devils Due crossover series

That's Serpent O.R.! For Organic Robot! Lol, I loved that series. Especially when Cobra Commander took over his body, and basically just acted like Starscream.

Lord_Zed
14th February 2008, 11:00 PM
yeah, that was when G.I. Joe went through that "bio-eco" thing... heh.

I could live with the bright colours, but the simplicity of the thing pissed me of, the old toys were so much more detailed and complex.

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/91/septictank/septictank_box.jpg

H.I.S.S II now there's a Cobra Tank

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/89/hiss2/hiss2_box.jpg

That's Serpent O.R.! For Organic Robot! Lol, I loved that series. Especially when Cobra Commander took over his body, and basically just acted like Starscream.

Yes that was probably one of the more concise storylines they came up with for the crossover, nice art to, and one of the few TF universes brave enough to kill Bumblebee.
http://www.yojoe.com/comics/joetran3/joetran31b.jpg

Soundwarp
15th February 2008, 06:08 AM
So where are you buying all this from???

Does anyone remember when CC actually became a snake and busted out of his human body?

GoktimusPrime
15th February 2008, 06:18 AM
Comic book stores. :)

Does anyone remember when CC actually became a snake and busted out of his human body?
That was from G.I. Joe The Movie. "I wasss onccce a man... a man!"

Soundwarp
15th February 2008, 06:22 AM
Thought it was but i wasn't sure.....

I have to go out and buy the series, i saw it once at Video Ezy.

Does anyone know ehere to buy it all?

kup
15th February 2008, 09:16 AM
GI Joe movie kinda wrecked my apreciation for the cartoon. I hated how Cobra were actually real snake men kind of like MOTU.

It had the same effect in toning down my fandom of the cartoon as mediclorians did with 'magic' sense of awe that I had for the force in Star Wars.

Thankfully the movie did not affect the rest of the fictional continuities.
________
Pregnant granny (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/910/granny/videos/1)

hound
15th February 2008, 09:16 AM
Oh i demand pics now :P

Actually I've never posted a pic here, not even my Transformers. So I don't think you will see any from me soon :D. I'm just plain lazy :p

hound
15th February 2008, 09:20 AM
Thought it was but i wasn't sure.....

I have to go out and buy the series, i saw it once at Video Ezy.

Does anyone know ehere to buy it all?

I've always wanted to buy the series but I've never seen one at local stores. Anyway Hasbro going to release a 5 DVD pack with a few popular series and the movie together plus a few new figures. I'm gonna get that.

Lord_Zed
15th February 2008, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Soundwarp

It got even wierder in the DIC series, where Baroness did a magic dance and turned him back into a man, and then Cobra Commander used the Pythonizing machine to turn Serpentor into an Iguana. Although at least we never saw Cobra La again.

If there's one thing Cobra Commander could do, it's get revenge on those in his own faction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-yuzrd5Ypg

The other wierd thing about this series was that playboy Destro apparently dumped the Baroness after the movie, for Zarana no less.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNcy9YaYxkc&feature=related