PDA

View Full Version : Stupid grumpy boss

Bartrim
12th February 2008, 09:36 AM
Currently I work in a job that I am over qualified for. As such I do the job quite and with little hassle leaving me with plenty of spare time. With this spare time I often view Ozformers and write a lot of my posts at work. My manager is a grumpy, surly, lonely, jerk. He constantly whinges about young people and he hates the internet (mind you he has no friends anyway). He has complained that much to the boss of the company is locking me out of the internet as of next week.

It totally sux:mad: I mean I get all my work done and then some. I have the internet at home but if I prefer to spend that time with my family.

So just letting my fellow Ozformers know that as of next week I probably wont be as active as I once was.:(

I am so furious at the moment:mad:...

springah
12th February 2008, 09:41 AM
Currently I work in a job that I am over qualified for. As such I do the job quite and with little hassle leaving me with plenty of spare time. With this spare time I often view Ozformers and write a lot of my posts at work. My manager is a grumpy, surly, lonely, jerk. He constantly whinges about young people and he hates the internet (mind you he has no friends anyway). He has complained that much to the boss of the company is locking me out of the internet as of next week.

It totally sux:mad: I mean I get all my work done and then some. I have the internet at home but if I prefer to spend that time with my family.

So just letting my fellow Ozformers know that as of next week I probably wont be as active as I once was.:(

I am so furious at the moment:mad:...

That sucks dude, i feel for ya. We got the same crap at work..

TheDirtyDigger
12th February 2008, 09:42 AM
Work slower.

Saintly
12th February 2008, 09:45 AM
man.. that really sux! I totally agree with the time after work hours is for the family..

can't you go above that grumpy surly lonely jerk of a manager and tell the boss of the company that you've done your work and has too much spare time?

maybe you might get a promotion to replace that manager? :) or are you quite happy with what you are doing?

GoktimusPrime
12th February 2008, 10:13 AM
heh, I'm cyber-bludging right now at work. But I think that as long as it's not effecting your work and you're not anything inappropriate (like downloading pr0n) then why should he care if you're having a bit of cyber-bludge?

If you wanna get some payback, then push for your boss to "be fair" and crack down on all bludgers - such as people who duck out for a smoke. That should make him either:
a/ relent and possibly restore your net privileges, or...
b/ irritate other workers and make him more unpopular

Fair's fair - if he's gonna pick you up for "wasting" company time, then he should be doing it for all employees... including himself. This'd be a lot sweeter if he were a smoker. ;)

P.S.: This kinda reminds me of that case of an IT worker who got sacked because he took time out for breaks to pray to God - but he argued that:
a/ He took shorter lunch breaks
b/ Other co-workers easily wasted as much time smoking

i_amtrunks
12th February 2008, 10:36 AM
Work slower.

I'm in a similar position Bartrim, where I am online to combat boredom, but working slower works wonders for when you have the boss hovering around near your desk and you cant peruse the internets.

ANd the only way complaining about smokers bludging will work, is if the boss himself is not a smoker.

GoktimusPrime
12th February 2008, 10:45 AM
If he is a smoker then you can point out the hypocrisy of him allowing himself to have a smoke-bludge but not allowing you to have a cyber-bludge. Although, this won't work if you're also a smoker as you'd be doubling up on your work bludges. :p

Bartrim
12th February 2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the support guys:)

Unfortunately the manager is not a smoker. He's a facist that wants to cut any form of "bludging"out of work ie: No smoking, all mobile phones to be turned off etc etc.

I think this is grossly unfair considering I do work during morning tea and lunch because they usually are busy periods. I've tried warning this guy about the backlash a-hole managers get from their staff but he doesn't listen. If they play hardball with me I'll just let them know that since I work during lunch and morning tea and don't get my official breaks (15min morning tea, 30 minutes for lunch) then I'll just leave 45 minutes earlier.

Also what the jerk doesn't realise is that I also need the internet for work. If they lock me out then that means more work for him because he will have to do all the online work:)

roller
12th February 2008, 11:37 AM
find out where his phone number

then get your nephew or some local teenage drop out to ring him

he'll think again that the trip to Thailand back in 1999 was no hassles:D

or just make a jelly and put it in his desk draw

autobreadticon
12th February 2008, 12:06 PM
Ruin His Career!!!

Pulse
12th February 2008, 12:10 PM
Shag his Missus, no matter how ugly she is.

Even if you get fired, it'll definitely be worth it.

Bartrim
12th February 2008, 12:47 PM
Shag his Missus, no matter how ugly she is.

Even if you get fired, it'll definitely be worth it.

Here's the thing Pulse. Being a grumpy, surly, douchebag usually means that your marriage fails...or his case marriages fail (yes he is a double divorcee). I can't imagine why anyone would divorce him:p

Saintly
12th February 2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the support guys:)

Also what the jerk doesn't realise is that I also need the internet for work. If they lock me out then that means more work for him because he will have to do all the online work:)

HAHAHA, that will serve him to quite well in particularly since you mentioned that he dislike the internet... he will be wishing that he hadn't done that.. :D

And you can demand more money (worth a try) if they want you to use the internet again :P LOL

Pulse
12th February 2008, 12:54 PM
Batrim: When you put it that way, it makes you think "Why would any sane female want to get married to that sap?" (let alone 2 women)

Either they're mail-order brides or he must be loaded, or he must be some sort of Sugar Daddy.

GoktimusPrime
12th February 2008, 04:11 PM
this guy's just being a control freak. Studies show that workers are actually more productive in a more relaxed work environment - i.e.: you would get more work done if you were allowed the occasional bludge. (-_-)

A lot of American companies (like Pixar) understand this, with larger corporations providing employees with all kinds of creature comforts like a game room, lounge rooms etc. A lot of Australian companies have adopted the American idea of Casual Fridays - again, because studies show that it increases worker productivity.

Bartrim
12th February 2008, 04:21 PM
I completely agree with you Gok. At my old work we were allowed to surf the net. My boss collected lego so we used to help him build them, race remote control cars around the warehouse and the surprising thing is the work got done and everyone got along:eek:

If anyone ever comes to see me at work now make sure you bring a knife to cut the tension with.

Soundwarp
12th February 2008, 04:23 PM
Man i can't log in to anything at work, it's all banned.

Saintly
12th February 2008, 04:26 PM

can't you use anonymous proxy servers?

dirge
12th February 2008, 08:48 PM
This kinda reminds me of that case of an IT worker who got sacked because he took time out for breaks to pray to God

Was he praying in hexidecimal or binary? :D

Bummer, Bobby.

I wonder if he only dislikes the internet because even the Russian Babes™ on IRC reject his advances? ;)

GoktimusPrime
12th February 2008, 10:06 PM
Is that for security reasons and do you still have an intranet?

I can log on from school but it's heavily content filtered (for obvious reasons).

MV75
13th February 2008, 09:42 PM
Time for another job.

I could very easily walk into an IT job and rise up the ranks very rapidly with my years of knowledge, but I've decided that I really don't want to work fixing computers anymore, stuff that, so I am doing data entry instead.

For me it's something very different and there is no time for bludging at all. We work hard, very hard, in 5 hour shifts and it's very demanding mentally and physically it leaves me very tired, but mate, I absolutely love it. This is the happiest I've been in years. The place is great, the bosses are great, they'll fall over themselves to make everyone as comfortable as they can, tons of eye candy, and the place is very modern and clean. And I'm able to only have to work 4 days a week and still rake in (to me), good monies. I could work up to 75 hours a week if I was super super keen, but nah, I'm very content for now. I should have dropped uni sooner as it was really giving me the shites with the constant uni uni uni work, I couldn't just turn it off at the end of the day like I can now. I only had about a year left for a diploma, but I just don't care for it anymore.

So yea, the only time I have for using the net at work now is before my shift starts. :) So I only use the net now at home really, which of last week is now an adsl2+ connection. :D
________
Pot News (http://potwire.com)

Bartrim
14th February 2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah it would be good if I could get another job but unfortunately there aren't too many openings for Spare Parts Interpreters on the South Coast.

I think I'll just play it like I planned to. When they gave me luxuries and were nice I was flexible with my time and work above and beyond what I should be doing. Now they are going to start treating me like crap I'll work my standard hours, take the breaks I'm designated and stop helping this a-hole manager (I used to take some of his workload off him). Thankfully I've become friends with a guy in the MTA who'll be willing to support me if the shite really hits the fan.

Saintly
14th February 2008, 10:56 AM
that's good to hear Bartrim... nothing p15535 me off more than an @55-hat manager.

MV75
14th February 2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah it would be good if I could get another job but unfortunately there aren't too many openings for Spare Parts Interpreters on the South Coast.

So try something new like I did. ;)

Man I was really self destructing there for a while. All better now. :)
________
Honda c71, c76, c72, c77 dream specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_C71,_C76,_C72,_C77_Dream)

Saintly
14th February 2008, 11:17 PM
I'm so tempted to switch as well... this IT sitting in front of the computer is literally killing me.. have been thinking of a hotel operator

Bartrim
15th February 2008, 08:18 AM
The thing is I actually enjoy the work and (not blowing my own trumpet)I'm really good at it. I just hate my manager. The local Holden dealership tried to poach me about 8-9 months ago but I didn't take it because I'm ethically (sp?) against head hunting.

Damn my ethics.:mad:

Tiby
15th February 2008, 06:00 PM
Head-hunting is flattery, not unethical! Best way to hire, and be hired...

I like your work-to-rule system - that'll get him.

I just put a metaphorical gun to my boss's head over his poor leadership. He's not speaking to me now, proving my point.

Bartrim
15th February 2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the compliment Tiby. When I confront a problem like this I'm always concerned that my emotion (as I take pride in my work) clouds my better judgment. However I feel that this is not the case in this situation and again I am thankful of the support you guys are showing.

Saintly
16th February 2008, 01:18 AM
+1 on what Tiby said...

being head-hunted also show that you're worth more to others than where you are currently at most times.