PDA

View Full Version : TF ROTF PSP Game review

Tetsuwan Convoy
21st June 2009, 06:23 PM
I was fortunate enough to get my grubby mitts on a copy of ROTF for the PSP. I noticed that the game is being programmed by Savage who was the team that did the truly pitiful PSP version of the first movie game and so didn't have very high hopes for this one. For those wondering, I feel that the first TFMovie game for PSp is probably one of the worst games I have ever played. EVER! That is even taking into account all the games I have played on any computer system throughout my life. Including games on the Atari 2600, Commodore 64 and those ancient machines... Yep, it was THAT bad.

Well, I will say this ROTF is a better game, but then considering how unbelievably bad the first was, that is not very hard, Instead of being a over the shoulder 3rd person shooter, we have been given an isometric view shooter. The controls are simple, square to shoot main weapon, triangle for sub, cross for dodge, circle for melee, d-pad left for special attack, d-pad right for signature ability and analogue stick for movement. Hmmmm, where’s Transform I hear you ask. Well, there isn't one. Odd, considering the license......

So far in my game play. I have spent my time running around fairly boring pre-determined routes shooting wave after wave of enemy drone. That’s about it for the hour or so I have spent. No vehicle mode so far except in the cut scenes as they have taken the liberty of driving to the place for you and letting you start in robot mode. This is annoying as the second level has you running along a freeway as you "hurry" to save Sideswipe. Why can I transform and drive?????? It would be quicker and much less tedious.

Despite there being a selection of different characters available to play as, they all have the same weapons fire, although they differ in speed, endurance and agility. Even the Decepticons feel the same as the Autobots. You can power up the main gun to 3 and 5 way fire or a stronger normal attack. Just make sure you don’t die in a hard spot coz even though you start your new life in the same spot, you are back to the original gun.

Get used to dying as well. There are times when you will need to rush a gun post as it is firing a constant stream of death at you, but you won't be able to get to it in time and all you can do is watch your life flow away as you get closer. Some of the enemies can get the timing right through stun and just pound 2 lives away as if they were nothing. The game also makes the horrible sin of having off screen enemies attack you as well as massive pieces of background blocking your view.

Game play is a little frustrating and boring, but at least the controls work well enough for it to be playable, although just a little bit under the enjoyable mark. The graphics are much better than the first with new models for the main characters which is a massive relief since the first game had worse models than the ones on the DS version (although I notice that they use the same model for BO again...). They recycle some drones from the first, but that’s ok as they didn't look too bad. The backgrounds are very samey and look lacking in detail although there is a fair amount of them that can be blown up. Cars are scattered throughout the levels but the only ones that move are enemies even though the background cars are in the middle of the road.

They seem to have Cullen and maybe Welker as voices, but the rest are a bit random. Optimus is fine and Soundwave has a nice synthesized/classic sound but Starscream is completely different from the movie one is very wrong sounding. Ironhide and Ratchet are also different voices and Bumblebee speaks normally. Generally though, the acting is pretty good, just some of the voices are a bit of a mismatch.

The music is nice and sound effects are repetitive, mainly just being shotting noises and the occasional explosions, but fairly forgettable. The plot focuses more on the TFs it seems and the story mode has you playing as bots and cons. The first did this as well and did a good job of expanding the universe, shame it was the only good aspect.

Ok, I just managed to get into a vehicle mode level. I got to choose between deadend and Sideways. The level is an ugly looking version of the very old Roadblasters, where you race up the road shooting stuff, there is a nitro to use and weapon powerups available. Kind of fun in a lame way. Again, a little repetitive. Not helped much by the lack of a brake/accelerator and I noticed that when in a tunnel, driving straight into a pillar stops you, but doesn't damage you, turning away from the pillar, you get straight up to top speed again.

So far, I give this game a 4/10
It’s a repetitive and pretty slow game that could be any other shooter as it hasn’t used the Transform ability in the first 3 levels. The driving levels are tacked on and feel half assed, which pretty much sums this game up pretty well I think. Graphics are alright and do their job and I would only recommend this game if you can get it pretty cheaply. I wouldn't want to pay more than $25 or so at the most.

I will try and get some screenshots up, but for some reason my screen capture plugin isn’t working....

*UPDATE*

OK I managed to get through a bit more and played as the Autobots on the driving level. I was chasing Demolishor and had to blast him as I drove. Once, Optimus informs us that it will be time for some biffo with Demolishor, is naturally I was all excited! BUT instead of the aforementioned biffo, I was forced to play yet another dull shooting level as the Decepticons. My only hope for some fun from this game was dashed by bad planning. I am sure that chronologically and story wise it probably works well, but gameplay wise is sucks ass!

In this interrupting Decpeticon level of dull shooting, I could play as Starscream, Grindor and some others. I chose Grindor(previously thought to be blackout). It would be a great level for reigning fiery death from above as a helicopter, but you can't transforms, so you just have to shoot as a robot. Just like all the other levels. In this one as well, I noticed Grindor randomly tripping over and falling flat on his face. Although this was most amusing as it looked clumsy, it turns out that was coz I was on the receiving end of some serious blasting, but it just looks like Grindor is falling over his own feet.

Having had been involved in 2 boss fights, one against Bumblebee and one against Demolishor, I can safely say that this game sucks. Neither were fun and the one against Bumblebee was easy as you can easily trap Bumblebee in the corner and melee him. He will happily sit there and take it. There were 3 stages of varying attacks, mainly resulting in him shooting more projectiles, which happened when he got to certain amounts of life, but they severely interrupted gameplay as the game would completely stop, go to a small scene of B/bee saying something and you would find that the characters positions had been reset, then the fight would commence again with the screen flashing "ATTACK!" at you. But I was just doing that and you made me stop! Even the Demolishor one was along the same lines. That was a little too hard, with drones popping up later as well as Demolishor smacking you about.

I kind of want to see how they have managed to ruin the inevitable fight with Devestator, but the game is so boring I don't think I can be bothered playing it anymore. It feels as if I have already seen everything it has to offer.

So revised score 3.5/10.
Even the car levels are repetitive and boring. Game flow is severely interrupted by scenes even mid-fight which is quite unforgiveable. Comments still (sadly) stand.