PDA

View Full Version : First pics of Botcon 08' toys

kup
12th February 2008, 11:28 AM
Here is the first pic of 'Evil Prime' who is part of the Botcon 08 Box set. He doesn't look bad and its fairly unique in his own way. Alt mode looks like he is going to look like Motor Master but Robot mode has a unique look to it. The Battle damage sticker on the windscreen is also a nice touch.

http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=12405

Although I find the 'Mirror Universe' concept interesting, its not enough to get me to seek out the toys. I am only looking forward to the comic and that's it.

More money for G1 :D

Edit: Thanks Paulbot! :)
________
EXTREME Q (http://vaporizers.net/extreme-vaporizer)

i_amtrunks
12th February 2008, 11:40 AM
Yeah the figure is a very "hit or miss" one, and I guess he wont have an asking price similar to Thundercracker in the coming years.

Nice to see that the Collectors Club was given the left over paint from Classics Skywarp. The silver on the legs looks quite nice though, Hasbro could learn a thing or two here. Not a fan of the Purple Autobot Logo, would have been nicer to see proper Decepticon logos on him.

Saintly
12th February 2008, 11:47 AM
looks fairly nice :)

and rather than check at seibertron (nothing wrong with that), just check -> http://www.botcon.com/08figures.cfm for others in the coming weeks.

kup
12th February 2008, 11:51 AM
Actually I am just a little bit disappointed with the paint job. At the Sydney fan meet we were discussing that it would be much better if they kept the original paint schemes but added evil tones to them such as a darker & deeper red and blue and other evil detailing. Just giving Autobots, Decepticon color schemes feels a bit uninspired to me.

The red eyes and window cracks are a nice touch but not enough. Cool evil universes have characters looking very similar to the proper versions with the difference being their behaviour and ideals plus some minor detailing to show their 'evilness'. Like it was done in the Original series of Star Trek.

I guess that they needed to make the toys radically different to the retail counterparts but if they had done something like mentioned above, I would be more interested in this set.

Yeah, this set needs Evil goatees!
________
BRUNETTE GERMAN (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/424/german/videos/1)

foor
12th February 2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, this set needs Evil goatees!

Didn't they rumour an evil Rodimus with goatee alongside good Megatron?

It looks pretty good. Thumbs up for the effort of painting cracks on windshield and all. I wonder, that purple gun he's holding in his left hand, is that a new sculpt, or did original classics Prime already have that?

kup
12th February 2008, 12:03 PM
Didn't they rumour an evil Rodimus with goatee alongside good Megatron?

It looks pretty good. Thumbs up for the effort of painting cracks on windshield and all. I wonder, that purple gun he's holding in his left hand, is that a new sculpt, or did original classics Prime already have that?

Its a straight repaint. The large purple gun came with Classics Prime only that it was painted Red with white detailing.
________
Ford Del Rio (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Del_Rio)

STL
12th February 2008, 02:08 PM
Whoa. So Underwhelming. I guess I can stick with a loose set then

i_amtrunks
12th February 2008, 02:47 PM
Oddly Energon Megatron is the rumoured repaint for this run, and not Classics Megatron.

GoktimusPrime
12th February 2008, 02:54 PM
Meh... this doesn't do that much for me... are we sure it's "evil"? (the botcon page doesn't seem to state it) - if so, why is he still sporting Autobot logos? And he's awfully purple - if that's meant to represent his Decepticon status, then why doesn't he have Decepticon insignias?

He looks more like Pimp Daddy Prime to me. Or maybe, Optimus Crime. He needs bling. :)

STL
12th February 2008, 03:12 PM
Well the yankee fans seem to be for the most part in love with this "unbelievably awesome" repaint.

Honestly, Stencilator could easily do a superior job.

Saintly
12th February 2008, 03:15 PM
Honestly, Stencilator could easily do a superior job.

I'm sure the Stencilator can probably churn one out before Botcon begins since it's only a repaint, if I'm not mistaken :)

jaydisc
12th February 2008, 03:19 PM
I think those Autobot symbols might have bullets/holes through the head....

Dang... I was already ready and prepared for greatness with this year's figure set, and it is indeed underwhelming. I think i'll just call him Motormaster.

Soundwarp
12th February 2008, 03:21 PM
It's very "MEH" IMO!

griffin
12th February 2008, 03:28 PM
Autobot logos - if it is an alternate reality, and the Autobots are evil, then they would still have Autobot logos. (unless they have been called Decepticons). I'm not sure if any of the Classics toys had moulded logos, but if one did, they would have had to keep the theme of swapped logos to match. I think it is a good idea, because 'Decepticon' doesn't have to automatically mean 'evil' in an alternate universe.

If you look carefully at all the paint apps on the Optimus figure, you can get an idea that this would be a very expensive figure to produce. It might be just two plastic colours, but the scorching and shin colouring, and the 'cracked windscreen' all add detail and cost to the toy. Hasbro has a recommended limit on paint apps (I think it is 5 or 6), and last year's Springer toy went way above that, so if this year's figures go above that as well, consider these to be better value toys than the retail originals.

Pipesqueak
12th February 2008, 03:47 PM
Not bad but not tempting either. Purple needed to be darker.

GoktimusPrime
12th February 2008, 05:59 PM
Autobot logos - if it is an alternate reality, and the Autobots are evil, then they would still have Autobot logos. (unless they have been called Decepticons). I'm not sure if any of the Classics toys had moulded logos, but if one did, they would have had to keep the theme of swapped logos to match. I think it is a good idea, because 'Decepticon' doesn't have to automatically mean 'evil' in an alternate universe.
In that case, this Optimus Prime needs a goatee! ;)

http://khaversiddiqi.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/spock.jpg "I am heroic Galvatron."

dirge
12th February 2008, 07:27 PM
Not a fan of the Purple Autobot Logo, would have been nicer to see proper Decepticon logos on him.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but then he loses the whole Evil Autobot thing. So, yeah, purple Autobot is what we're left with.

I agree with the sentiments expressed here that it feels more like Motormaster or Nemesis Prime or...

I'd have been a _lot_ keener on this guy if he was done in colours that still anchor the character as Optimus Prime. Because, let's face it, Optimus Prime's red is a signature feature. Even Gobot Prime was red :p

GoktimusPrime
12th February 2008, 08:51 PM
Maybe they should've done him in "reverse Prime" colours, i.e.: blue torso, red head and legs... not sure if that'd look any good or not (anyone feel like doing a photoshop digital repaint? ;))

Gutsman Heavy
12th February 2008, 10:10 PM
not a fan...

1orion2many
12th February 2008, 10:49 PM
:)I'm looking more and more forward to not being able to afford this set:D. As Kup said " More money for G1";).

Thanatos
12th February 2008, 10:58 PM
This set feels very "Bizarro" world.

foor
13th February 2008, 02:34 AM
Oddly Energon Megatron is the rumoured repaint for this run, and not Classics Megatron.

I really dug Energon Megatron, with his Galvatron-inspired look. One of the best Energon sculpts out there (Besides Shockblast). I'm really looking forward to see how they're going to do him, what with the rumoured resculpted head and all.

i_amtrunks
13th February 2008, 10:12 AM
Maybe they should've done him in "reverse Prime" colours, i.e.: blue torso, red head and legs... not sure if that'd look any good or not (anyone feel like doing a photoshop digital repaint? ;))

Here is a quick one for you. Sorry its craptacular, but "recolour" didnt like his dark legs.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/i_amtrunks/recolour.jpg

griffin
13th February 2008, 03:26 PM
Yeah, the red looks like shiny metallic, so it's a bit difficult to tell. But I do like the colour reversal overall though. Maybe it was something they looked into, but found that the other figures in the set didn't have significant 2-colour schemes to swap over and look good.

Thanatos
13th February 2008, 04:26 PM
Anyone besides me notice he's mistransformed?

The front wheels of the cab aren't pull up behind the body of prime.

Borgeman
13th February 2008, 04:51 PM
yeah, though its not surprising, seeing as almost 137% of all pics are mistransformed...

George

GoktimusPrime
13th February 2008, 08:40 PM
from Hasbro, yes. Very rare to see pics of TFs mistransformed from Takara. :p

I must confess that I hadn't noticed it before - too distracted by the colours :p

i_amtrunks
14th February 2008, 12:34 PM
from Hasbro, yes. Very rare to see pics of TFs mistransformed from Takara. :p

I must confess that I hadn't noticed it before - too distracted by the colours :p

I just take it that any "official Hasbro" pics are mistransformed. :p

Tetsuwan Convoy
15th February 2008, 10:02 PM
I don't mind the colours. I like that they have gone for the scratches on the paint and I particularly like the way the windshield is dirty, with clane bits where his windscreen wipers have been used. I think it has quite a bit of detail on it and look forward to reading his bio.

Hopefully they will used the characteristics that make Prime such a force of good and taken them to the extreme to make him evil, or reversed them.

kup
16th February 2008, 08:42 AM
I very much like this repaint/remold. Its amazing how the Head sculpt and colors alone makes this toy Goldbug despite the very sporty/muscle car look of the alt mode and big robot body.

http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=12431&

This is the first Botcon 08 toy that I have personally liked. Its still not enough to get me to buy the Box set, but its a good start ;)
________
New mexico medical marijuana (http://newmexico.dispensaries.org/)

dirge
16th February 2008, 10:51 AM
I quite like this guy. I like the fact that it's clearly Goldbug, but not overwhelmingly gold. I also like the use of aposematic colours to anchor this as an evil Goldbug (:

Pipesqueak
16th February 2008, 12:49 PM
I have cybertron excellion and I'm not a big fan of the mould as the transformation is just TOO simple and the bot mode uninteresting. Cybertron red alert (deluxe) would have worked better here. Also, this one doesn't seem to match the zombie look of the purple prime. A full set of zombies would have been quite cool.

Gutsman Heavy
16th February 2008, 01:12 PM
thats pretty cool

Gutsman Heavy
16th February 2008, 01:23 PM
primes alt-mode: http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=12428&

looks very cool, much better than the robot mode strangely.

dirge
16th February 2008, 01:35 PM
BotCon.com has updated with the truck mode - as well as Goldbug. Can't say I think too much of the graffiti on the truck mode (G2 Megatron anyone?) but the huge anti-Autobot logo looks pretty cool.

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th February 2008, 03:54 PM
I like! The new head looks just like the comic one! The black and yellow links him to Stealth BB08 and makes him look more like a bee, and still has the "evil" feeling.

I was hoping that he would be chromed gold (ala g2 Bumblebee) but I realise that probably would have been pretty unlikely.

P.S

I have cybertron excellion and I'm not a big fan of the mould as the transformation is just TOO simple and the bot mode uninteresting.
I really like this mold, even though the transformation is simple, it makes it easy and from a play point of view fast and the flow of pay can still be kept. The robot mode has a pretty good level of articulation and the car mode is sleek and sexy. However I can see your point of view, but for me the simplicity of it works.

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th February 2008, 04:05 PM
Prime is a little too purple in truck mode... But the scratches and scuffs all over him bode well for personality. Like he never stops fighting. The graffiti on the windbreaker thing is a little corny, but the actual phrase is a great adaption of a Prime-ish quote!:D

I like Goldbug too. But I just posetd my thoughts in the GB thread. I think a merge of Threads would be a good idea Dirge. Since the new pics will be all listed on the botcon page anyway.

dirge
16th February 2008, 05:38 PM
Threads merged, with scope for further First Pics (:

Paulbot
16th February 2008, 06:35 PM
That's a fantastic Goldbug head. I look forward to seeing if there's a new Jazz head too.

foor
17th February 2008, 04:37 AM
Looks like an Evil Goldbug to me. Dare I say more convincingly evil than Prime! Though I miss the battle scarring. I thought they were going to do that for all the Evilbots but I guess not.

i_amtrunks
17th February 2008, 08:58 AM
One of the better cybertron moulds, and a damn nice paint job.

Saintly
18th February 2008, 08:57 AM
loving goldbug more and more everyday i see that pic! :)