PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight: Cliffjumper

Sam
21st June 2009, 09:08 PM
Has anyone read this and what did they think of it?

I found the artwork quite good, and the colourist also did an impressive job.

The story is a bit simple, but it's not bad and manages to keep things moving.

----- SPOILER - drag over to view -----
However, I found the part where he takes on four Decepticons towards the end a bit implausible. At least one of them clearly had arm mounted weaponry, and I just don't think guts and the slight element of surprise can make up for battle prowess and endurance.
--- SPOILER END -----

liegeprime
21st June 2009, 11:04 PM
I think its more of a filler spotlight issue. Like Mirage's but mirage's spotlight is more meh.

Zahhak
26th June 2009, 03:03 PM
yeah it didn't seem like it had any real connection to the main story arc..however I still belive that :Spoilers:
One of the Decepticons is drift/deadlock, possiably though to have been killed by cliffjumper ect ect.

-----------

GoktimusPrime
26th June 2009, 03:42 PM
I didn't recognise any of those Decepticons. What is it with Shane McCarthy and not wanting to use existing characters from a quarter century's worth of canon?!? It makes him look like a "GeeWunner" n00bz0r :/

Blink90210
28th June 2009, 05:06 PM
just finished reading the issue and if nothing else, it's very pretty to look at. Much better than Mirage but as was previously mentioned, this won't contribute to existing storylines or even Cliffjumper's portrayal in upcoming stories (if any). And another thing, could SMac at least have him transform at some stage in the book? A little disappointing that that a book with Transformers didn't actually have any Transform-ing. It might as well have been a Spotlight Wolverine and just tweaked the characters and locations to fit.

i_amtrunks
1st July 2009, 11:58 AM
I preferred Mirage, at least it was interesting. Cliffjumper was dull.

It is like McCarthy has no idea about characters outside of the 1985-86 toy catalogue, thus has to create his own band of Decepticons (including Drift in Decepticon form?).

Cliffjumper taking down all of those Decepticreeps just does not pan out, even with Cliffjumper being all macho with weapons, and having the element of surprise.

It was another example of poor writing, the only consistency across all of McCarthy's titles, Blurr made no sense within the existing storyline, AHM was a dismal failure on all fronts, and now this boring effort that adds nothing to the cannon, and only tries to make Cliffjumper seem all bad-ass (just like Blurr and Perceptor).

Paulbot
6th July 2009, 09:17 PM
I liked this issue. It's exactly what I want in a Spotlight comic: a genre story focusing on one TF character with a good standalone story.

This is an issue that any Transfan can read and doesn't have to read 50 other IDW comics to get the whole story. Compare this to the Metroplex one which barely features the title character and is a sequel/prelude to other stories.

If more of the Spotlight stories were like this they'd be much more easily picked up by casual fans and could be more successful.

I thought the art was nice, the colouring was great. The genericons didn't bother me as they were there to serve a purpose in the story. I'd be more annoyed to see actual characters wasted in hi and die appearances.

More like this please.

kup
24th July 2009, 07:57 PM
I somewhat enjoyed this issue even if its a pretty generic and over done formula (Warrior settles down with peaceful people but his nature and former life catchest up to him with tragic results for the people around him).

I agree with Sam, the end bit ruined whatever charm the story had which is unfortunately too common in McCarthy's writing and the use of Genericons (AGAIN!) annoyed the hell out of me. For a moment I thought one of them was Skyquake due to his crest but that was just me trying to assign names to generics - He should of at least had one recognisable 'Con from 25 years of canon. Like Gok sad, McCarthy shows himself to be a 1984-1986 Geewhunner way too often.

However this issue does show that McCarthy does know how to add charm to characters but sadly he absolutely sucks and executing the larger story.

Lord_Zed
4th August 2009, 11:26 PM
Finally got round to reading this, but in the end found it pretty meh.

Admitedly Mcarthy seemed to get the characterisations right but the story just seemed ever so deja vu.

And speaking of deja vu, is Cliffjumper the One? He certainly seems to have the ubber gun skills of Neo if he took out several squads of Deceps single handedly. I'm sure he will start wearing dark sunglasses soon.

I'm curious as to why he couldn't actualy hit one with his pistols in AHM though.

roller
5th August 2009, 04:36 PM
i haven't read this

but more importantly

when is Spotlight: Enemy coming out?

kup
5th August 2009, 04:48 PM
i haven't read this

but more importantly

when is Spotlight: Enemy coming out?

McCarthy only does Geewhunners as he is not aware that Transformers did continue from 1987 onwards.