PDA

View Full Version : rotf game review

Autocon
24th June 2009, 02:27 AM
ive only played alittle of it for pc. Need to upgrade my pc:( much like the first in gameplay, really this is what the first game should have been like. still feels the same however:( but i like it see how the rest of it goes

RageOnTheRoads
24th June 2009, 07:39 AM
ive only played alittle of it for pc. Need to upgrade my pc:( much like the first in gameplay, really this is what the first game should have been like. still feels the same however:( but i like it see how the rest of it goes

Hmmm. I was afraid of that. Thanks for the heads up Autocon! :D

Which characters have you played as? How do the vehicle modes handle in terms of control?

Zahhak
24th June 2009, 08:16 AM
Have you given it a shot in multiplayer yet, cause thats what Im kinda holding out for. A good muliplayer fuction will see me happy.

Zaul
24th June 2009, 02:34 PM
Got it for PC Today.

It's brilliant, its just pure fun, pure carnage.

The Multiplayer is great too, I had about 5 friends over before and did a 3 vs 3 , it was just pure chaos.

Needs a very power pc to run though, if you cant run xbox 360 equivalent games on your pc dont bother with this game :(

Im fortunate to have a gaming pc as its a hobby. :D

funkyaw
24th June 2009, 03:55 PM
I just picked it up for PC as well.

What sort of specs are you running?

I intend to run it on a Intel Q6600, 3Gb RAM and 512Mb NVIDIA 9600GT. Not sure if I can run it on native resolution on my 24inch screen.

Jetfire
24th June 2009, 05:56 PM
Have you given it a shot in multiplayer yet, cause thats what Im kinda holding out for. A good muliplayer fuction will see me happy.

Read my PS3 First Impressions thread over in Ratbats Review's

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=4709

Autocon
24th June 2009, 06:41 PM
what annoyse me the most is holding down the shift key to stay in vechile mode..having one of those spelling days

Jetfire
24th June 2009, 06:56 PM
what annoyse me the most is holding down the shift key to stay in vechile mode..having one of those spelling days

Yes but that is because it is a direct PC port, on console it is the right trigger which is more practical in use

funkyaw
24th June 2009, 08:13 PM

Get yourself an XBOX 360 Wired Controller for your PC. That's what I did and it's much better. Now I just have to remember what all the buttons do...

Paulbot
25th June 2009, 04:50 PM
I'm going to wait for the game to be on clearance this time next year. Might have caved in and bought an XBOX by then.

25th June 2009, 07:30 PM
nice specs what else u play ?

I just picked it up for PC as well.

What sort of specs are you running?

I intend to run it on a Intel Q6600, 3Gb RAM and 512Mb NVIDIA 9600GT. Not sure if I can run it on native resolution on my 24inch screen.

Tetsuwan Convoy
25th June 2009, 09:22 PM

That seems odd. I wonder if its a change-able option? Ie togle vs held. I am not too sure my fingers could be moivated enough for that.... I prefer button press for car, button press for robot.... Wouldn't afect game that much surely..

Jetfire
25th June 2009, 09:49 PM
That seems odd. I wonder if its a change-able option? Ie togle vs held. I am not too sure my fingers could be moivated enough for that.... I prefer button press for car, button press for robot.... Wouldn't afect game that much surely..

Yes, from what I can tell you can't stop the vehicle.. slowing down to the point of releasing the trigger will transform to robot mode.

Tetsuwan Convoy
26th June 2009, 12:18 AM
??? That seems really stupid IMHO.

So the accelerator is the Transform button? If so bleeeeeuuuuurgh! I liked the first one coz I could just whizz around in car mode and plonk myself somewhere and shoot stuff willy nilly, whilst not moving anywhere.

Gutsman Heavy
26th June 2009, 01:02 AM
it works really well on the consoles IMO, I wouldn't have it any other way. It really helps it fell like alt and robot are in harmony, during multi even when it was two against me I was shifting in and out of alt hopping over obstacles while keeping the heat on my autobot prey, super fun!

G1Optimal
26th June 2009, 01:55 AM
Yes, from what I can tell you can't stop the vehicle.. slowing down to the point of releasing the trigger will transform to robot mode.

dosen't the pc version have the brake/reverse button like the console ones do...?:confused::confused:

on the console version i am playing, i have this option...
and you can also decrease/increase the speed based on the pressure on the trigger (i have tried both and they work)

Note: been playing the Autobot Campaign and it appears i haves unlocked two episodes of the G1 Cartoon ( not good quality mind you ) among other things?:eek::eek:

Jetfire
26th June 2009, 03:45 AM
dosen't the pc version have the brake/reverse button like the console ones do...?:confused::confused:

on the console version i am playing, i have this option...
and you can also decrease/increase the speed based on the pressure on the trigger (i have tried both and they work)

Note: been playing the Autobot Campaign and it appears i haves unlocked two episodes of the G1 Cartoon ( not good quality mind you ) among other things?:eek::eek:

Probably. I haven't spent that much time with the game yet. If you have the console version then I stand corrected.

it works really well on the consoles IMO, I wouldn't have it any other way. It really helps it fell like alt and robot are in harmony, during multi even when it was two against me I was shifting in and out of alt hopping over obstacles while keeping the heat on my autobot prey, super fun!

Good point made about keeping the vehicle and robot in harmony.

G1Optimal
26th June 2009, 04:20 AM
Whoops forgot to mention

The Brake/Reverse Button on the X360 is i think LB..."which would probably be L1 on the PS3"
I wouldn't know right now as i am busy playing the Xbox360 version.:p

funkyaw
26th June 2009, 06:39 AM
Any of you guys tried the multiplayer?

I am trying it out on PC and there doesn't seem to be many online matches - I could only find a single free for all death match to join in and that only had 2 other players (the rest were computer controlled bots).

Tetsuwan Convoy
26th June 2009, 08:50 AM
Probably. I haven't spent that much time with the game yet. If you have the console version then I stand corrected.

Good point made about keeping the vehicle and robot in harmony.

Well that is abit more promising. IGN only gave it a 6/10 on PS3. Looks like I will have to get one, the Wii version got 4/10:(

Jetfire
26th June 2009, 12:33 PM
Well that is abit more promising. IGN only gave it a 6/10 on PS3. Looks like I will have to get one, the Wii version got 4/10:(

I thought IGN's review was poor and focused on the negative. It made some valid points about the AI but the game deserves better than a 6.

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/957955-transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen/index.html

Zahhak
26th June 2009, 03:17 PM
can I ask how much of a role does soundwave and/or ravage play? I know he's not a playable character(yet...Downloadable content is my friend) but at Botcon panal didn't they developers say they were huge soundwave fans?

Stompy
26th June 2009, 06:32 PM
The gameis good fun, in a mindless way, much like the movie. You run around in an open arena and just kill targets and occasionally go to hotspots to repair or rescue. There's defense missions and of course bosses. Not too far in yet but have played a few levels and it gets samey.

The controls work really well and getting around is not too much of a problem but in vehicle mode you do need to be light on the trigger to keep acceleration at a contained level but get used to initially crashing left right and center on buildings as you try to maneuver around.

The biggest dissapointment was the rather small selection of playable characters. Was looking forward to playing as Sideswipe or one of the Twins but you are stuck with Optimus, Bee, Ratchet and Ironhide with Breakaway the only new playable character. It also boils down to typical videogame character "purpose" stereotype. One being the all rounder (Optimus), the speedy one (Bumblebee), the flyer (Breakaway), the brute (Ironhide) and the specialized one (Ratchet). With the decpticons having their own counterparts.

The use of the transofrming ability to spread out movesets is well realized and works after a few practice go's, but your main form will be in bot mode. Main source of attacks are ranged ballistics with the occasional close range melee. The game is at its best when you are far away, shoot them a bit, transform, race towards them then transform out into an attack for an "advance" kill. Otherwise it's not really all that different to many shooters out there at the moment. Being a fan would certainly help proceedings just to take control of some fo your favorite movie characters.