PDA

View Full Version : RotF review from At The Movies (Potential spoilers - read at own risk)

Sleeve
24th June 2009, 10:17 PM
David commended the special effects and action scenes, saying everything is bigger and better than the first, but Bay has neglected the screenplay. He went on to say he believes Bay simply "gave up on plot after the first film". He also wasn't impressed with a lot of the acting and "annoying" characters like Sam's parents. What interested me was he applauded John Turtorro as the best actor, considering myself and many others have felt his was the weakest performance with his hammy acting.

Margaret pretty much agreed with everything David said. She also went on to say she became quite the Optimus Prime fan after the first film and that he is the best character, however a main letdown for RotF was they took the best character and barely used him for half the film, thus having to rely on lesser characters and the lame attempt of a plot.

Overall, I'd have to agree with most of what they said.

Margaret - 2/5
David - 2.5/5

loophole
24th June 2009, 10:47 PM
i saw this as well and agree with much of what they said, but i have to say i dont really care on what critiques think IMO

i_amtrunks
25th June 2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the synopsis Sleeve, missed the show due to origin (Hooray for QLD!)

Pretty much waht I expected from those two, from memory they rated the first film rather well for what it was.

KaRNiV8L PRiME
25th June 2009, 12:15 PM
Yup Iv'e read a heap of reviews and saw the review from at the movies and most of what they said was true but...

I still really enjoyed it. Sure I would've loved more sideswipe, Arcee, jolt and Jetfire. Sure there are plot holes but at the end of the days it is a blockbuster action "popcorn" flick.

Pros
Optimus is badass and awesome
Jetfire had great scenes and awesome lines
Megan fox is smoking hot as is isabelle Lucas
Forrest Scene A+
Wheelie not as annoying as I thought
Megatron and Starscreams interaction
Soundwave did what soundwave does.

Cons
Multiple constructicons
Multiple protoforms
Some cons died easily (cough..fallen)
Megatron talks to the Fallen in English on the nemesis (just weird)
Didn't like how jetfire teleports
Ravage balls transforming into ummm... skinny ravage thing. That was crap

Overall it was what it was, a great Action film with giant robots kicking ass

TF 89/100
TF:ROTF 92/100

GoktimusPrime
25th June 2009, 07:44 PM
Megatron talks to the Fallen in English on the nemesis (just weird)
I reckon! Especially considering that the last time he was on Earth people were speaking languages so incredibly ancient (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-language) that probably not a single trace of them would exist in any language remaining today.

One explanation could be that modern human languages were uploaded to the Fallen via Soundwave. We see Soundwave speak English in the movie which I assume he acquired due to information he's acquired through observing/hacking human communications.

What I wanna know is... how did the Fallen get out of his sarcophagus??

SMHFConvoy
25th June 2009, 08:44 PM

To be honest how many people in the cinema read "Defiance?" Outside of TF fans so it was probably neglected.

That's what I found really disheartening in ROTF lack of back story on the new robots. I really wanted to see more of Sideswipe and the other new Autobots. I mean come on Volt was only around so he could jumpstart Prime :( I don't need to know everything but some quality screen time with the new guys would've been nice.

I agree John Turtorro stole the show in ROTF, he was oddly out of place in the 1st film but really slotted in well in ROTF.

springah
26th June 2009, 10:46 AM
watching 2nite.. these reviews are f*cking up my day :(

iceburn
26th June 2009, 10:49 AM
don't take the reviews too hard, springah....
just enjoy the movie and give your own comments :D

SofaMan
27th June 2009, 11:50 PM
Pros:

Optimus Prime continues the be teh awsum.
Jetfire was a well-rounded and plausible curmudgeon.
Wheelie was the least annoying he's ever been.
Soundwave was Soundwave (though the vocoded voice was such a careless omission.)
6 original Primes, plus The Fallen. Oooh!
Ravage was Ravage. And his 2-D blade Transformer thing was pretty cool.
Starscream was appropriately fawning and obsequious.
Pretenders! (though...Alice? Do we want a Transformer called Alice?)
John Turturro was good. Actually something going on there.
Megatron was a freaking flying tank!!
The Fallen was Tony freakin' Todd!!!

Cons:
The Constructicons were two places at once (unless they were clones or something...whatevs).
Devastator was taken down a bit easily, as was the Fallen. Deus ex machina, again.
Jolt had no dialogue.
Springer? Wasn't he supposed to be, y'know, in the film?
Skids and Mudflap, while amusing, were racist stereotypes. Jar Jar Binks anyone?
The Autobots didn't have much to do really, dialogue or otherwise. It'd be nice to have some character development. In two live-action movies, there's been less character development than in one animated one.

SofaMan
27th June 2009, 11:52 PM

It seemed like it was the Power of the Primes™ or some such keeping him contained. Once the Primes were all extinguished, he was able to get free. Macguffin.

FFN
28th June 2009, 12:18 AM
I reckon! Especially considering that the last time he was on Earth people were speaking languages so incredibly ancient (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-language) that probably not a single trace of them would exist in any language remaining today.

One explanation could be that modern human languages were uploaded to the Fallen via Soundwave. We see Soundwave speak English in the movie which I assume he acquired due to information he's acquired through observing/hacking human communications.

What I wanna know is... how did the Fallen get out of his sarcophagus?? The real explanation is, they spoke in english so the actors could act, and so the audience doesn't fall asleep listening to incomprehensible sounds emit from their mouths.* That's pretty much why they speak english to each other when no human is around.

I think the sarcophagus was something cooked up by Bay and co to keep the Fallen's design a "secret". That or they just ditched the idea but didn't tell any of the people doing the licensed supporting material and adaptations.

*If somebody uses this as a platform to rail against anime dubs, I will slap you for being an anime nerd :p

Lord_Zed
28th June 2009, 01:28 AM
David commended the special effects and action scenes, saying everything is bigger and better than the first, but Bay has neglected the screenplay. He went on to say he believes Bay simply "gave up on plot after the first film". He also wasn't impressed with a lot of the acting and "annoying" characters like Sam's parents. What interested me was he applauded John Turtorro as the best actor, considering myself and many others have felt his was the weakest performance with his hammy acting.

Margaret - 2/5
David - 2.5/5

Pretty much what I excpected , and I'm not suprised that they liked John Turtorro's performance, I think you'll find that there is a pretty 50/50 split of love/hate for him among transfans. I rather liked him in ROTF, he was the only human character who was vaugely interesting. Although Shia Lebouf did have a few amusing one liners.