PDA

View Full Version : Movie breaks box office records in US.

griffin
26th June 2009, 06:52 PM
Apparantly its opening day in the US raked in between US$55-61million, making it the highest Wednesday opening film in America (which isn't difficult, because their regular release day is Friday, so less than 1% of movies would open on any of the other 6 days, including Wednesday).

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-just-movie-31/transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen-shatters-us-box-office-record-for-wednesday-opening-168005/

Aside from that distorted record acheivement, that is still a phenominal amount in one day, with the expected 'opening 5-day' earnings to pass the cost of making the movie. And that's just in the US. Expect the same amount to be earnt around the rest of the world, earning Paramount a fortune, and guaranteeing a third. But wait to see if the takings are sustained beyond the opening weekend, to see how big a TF3 will be. As it will be word of mouth that gets others in who weren't swayed by the advertisements.

griffin
26th June 2009, 07:18 PM
Also from michael bay's website (http://www.michaelbay.com/), and mentioned here (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-just-movie-31/transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen-opens-big-in-united-kingdom-and-japan-167979/), are some figures from the UK and Japan, who both had the movie released about a week earlier.

Transformers 2 opened spectacularly in their world debuts in the UK and Japan, grossing a total of $20 mil from 846 locations. The Michael Bay directed film was a clear #1 in both territories, with the UK’s opening total of $14.1 mil from 517 locations outperforming rival comic book sequel Spider-Man 2 by 18%, the original Transformers movie by 71% and coming within 3% of the Dark Knight weekend total. In Japan, the film’s gross of $5.8mn from 329 locations was 64% ahead of The Dark Knight, and only 13% behind Transformers which had the advantage of opening in summer school holidays.

The franchise’s eagerly awaited second instalment opens across most of the rest of the world next week on Wednesday June 24th.

griffin
27th June 2009, 02:25 AM
More box-office stats -

Wednesday opening also broke the one-day IMAX record. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen on IMAX brought in US$1 million.

The overseas cumulative total through Wednesday was US$59 million, bringing the worldwide total box office to US$146.6 million.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-just-movie-31/transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen-continues-to-dominate-box-office-168018/

mknell
27th June 2009, 09:36 AM
I heard on the radio in Australia it is #1 as well breaking the record for first day sales with over $200 million

griffin
27th June 2009, 11:23 AM
That's more likely $2million for Australia. It hasn't even done $200 million worldwide on the first day.

griffin
30th June 2009, 01:21 PM
Updates of what TF2 is raking in, in the US.

US$125.9 million total in three days, with $36.7 million on their Friday.
In Imax format - $2.6 million on Friday, taking in $8.9 million so far.
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-just-movie-31/1259-million-in-three-days-for-revenge-of-the-fallen-168028/

US$203.8 million in 5 days!
It has already made it to being the 3rd highest grossing movie for this year, and it hasn't even been in theatres for a whole week.
This 5-day opening is so big, it only narrowly missed the record set by 'The Dark Knight' last year of $203.8 million.
Other countries around the world have raked in an additional $186.1 million, giving a worldwide total at US$387 million.
Some noted takings:
Britain (opened a week early) - $27 million
China - $21.9 million
South Korea - $14.9 million
Australia - $13 million
Russia - $11.8 million

The first "Transformers" earned $708 million worldwide in 2007, the fifth-biggest film of the year. It ranked at No. 3 in North America with sales of $319 million. The new film should pass that tally next week...

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN2833977520090628
This compares to the 2007 Movie making $107.6 million in its first four and a half days.

And we can probably see similar numbers next weekend, with the July 4th Holiday weekend in America, which is traditionally the biggest weekend in American theatres (which is why the big Blockbusters try to reserve that week early - TF1 release date was announced 2 years beforehand). Not to mention, the next big movie in America isn't out for 3 weeks (Harry Potter), giving TFs a vitual Blockbuster monopoly during that time.

With the movie costing somewhere between $150-200million, anything Paramount take in now would surely be profit (depending on how much of the movie ticket price goes to Paramount).
At least it is doing well over what Paramount were expecting, or at least, hoping.

griffin
30th June 2009, 01:26 PM
And on an interesting note, the movie itself recieved such a low rating by critics, it is set to become one of the biggest movies to have the lowest critic review rating.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9949OT00&show_article=1
Even though 91% of polled audience members by Paramount said it was equal or better than the first, only 20% of critics gave the movie a positive review.

So who's right - the audience or the critics? Who cares... the movie is guaranteeing more TFs movies (and toys) for us fans, and was still a good movie to watch (and most of us on this board rated it fairly well in our own poll in the reviews section).

Doubledealer
30th June 2009, 06:45 PM
Hmm, the situation is quite bittersweet for me. Sure, it's great that the movie is doing well money-wise and yes it will guarantee future toy lines and generate more interest in the franchise...But still, there are so many elements to the story of ROTF that are utter garbage & confusing, so many plot holes and bizarre character traits (Megatron/Prime inparticular). I love Transformers but I also like a coherent story that's well told. Unfortunately, ROTF was neither. :/

Defcon
30th June 2009, 07:45 PM
Bittersweet is indeed a perfect way to describe my feelings on the movie also. In the big picture its great that we can expect more movies and more toys. Besides not every cartoon episode or comic on transformers were great either. Some were favourites while others are not so good. I see the new movie not a movie at all, but instead like a commercial for many different things.

FFN
30th June 2009, 08:48 PM
I see the new movie not a movie at all, but instead like a commercial for many different things. And how is that different from any other form of TF media? TF media exists solely to flog something or to promote the brand, even when it comes to comics that don't have toys to flog (though AHM has recently moved to flog Universe toys). Even GI Joe Resolute exists to bring brand awareness to its target audience.

Robzy
30th June 2009, 10:40 PM
And on an interesting note, the movie itself recieved such a low rating by critics, it is set to become one of the biggest movies to have the lowest critic review rating.Not really an accomplishment to be proud of though, is it?!! :(

Defcon
30th June 2009, 11:24 PM
And how is that different from any other form of TF media? TF media exists solely to flog something or to promote the brand

Yes it succeeds in brand promotion and then some, and loses the plot at the same time. It not only promotes transformers, who by the way are the stars of the show! but must share the movie with many other elements to attract their target audiences. To my dismay of course.

canofwhoopass_87
1st July 2009, 01:11 AM
Man I'm seriously with you. Everything you typed, is pretty much a suction of my own thoughts displayed in your post. I'm all for a great, well told story and distinguishable, relatable character traits esp in prime and megatron. Prime was the ultimate 80's hero - noble and compassionate amongst many other great attributes, but I didn't see either of these in ROTF. "Any last words? / I'll take you all on! vs "they (the humans) deserve to choose for themselves!" from the first movie?

I cringed when I heard those crumball lines come from Cullen in ROTF, I really did. But nonetheless, this does make transformers big (if not bigger) than what it was back in the 80's on a larger scale worldwide imo.

Hmm, the situation is quite bittersweet for me. Sure, it's great that the movie is doing well money-wise and yes it will guarantee future toy lines and generate more interest in the franchise...But still, there are so many elements to the story of ROTF that are utter garbage & confusing, so many plot holes and bizarre character traits (Megatron/Prime inparticular). I love Transformers but I also like a coherent story that's well told. Unfortunately, ROTF was neither. :/