PDA

View Full Version : The OTCA Housing thread

Ode to a Grasshopper
30th June 2009, 01:03 PM
Sure, a TF fansite isn't the first place you'd think to turn to for housing suggestions, but I figure what the hey? It's a link, which is better than you get with most new flatmates. Worst case scenario is it comes to nothing, in which case I'm no worse off than not trying at all. Apologies if we already have one of these btw, or if we try and avoid this kind of thing here - if so then feel free to delete the thread.

I've just moved from Perth, am presently holidaying in Tasmania and planning to move to Melbourne in about 3 weeks. While I realise it's unlikely anyone has any spare/affordable (I'm an adult ESL teacher but pretty poor atm :( and from what I hear the job market there is pretty iffy) rooms available or that they'd want a housemate from a web forum based on nothing but a shared interest in TFs, if any Melbournians know of any good housing resources or people seeking easygoing hippie-type housemates, any info would be much appreciated.:)

Ideally I'm looking for student-type shared housing around Deakin uni (I have a philosophy degree and Deakin's Phil program is exactly in line with my interests, so would probably be trying for casual/official tutoring work, or whatever else I could get) with reasonable accessibility to public transport.

Anyone else in a similar bind feel free to use the thread too of course.:)

JuzMel
30th June 2009, 05:20 PM
It might help if you mention which Deakin Uni campus is it? The Burwood one or Geelong? Or Melbourne city one?

Ode to a Grasshopper
1st July 2009, 01:23 PM
That's right, they have multiple campuses...:o

Cheers.:)
I was staying on a mate's couch around Burwood (and a cousin's study in Preston, which was kinda far away), but the public transport in Melbs is pretty good so there are quite a few options. I'm not familiar with Melbourne suburbs yet but come Friday I'll have proper 'net access and can start looking at what suburbs will work, this is more of a preliminary fishing for info/opportunities.

TheDirtyDigger
1st July 2009, 01:42 PM
I'm sure it'll be easy to find a place to crash Grasshopper...

http://www.gothamgazette.com/graphics/homeless_06.jpg

Ode to a Grasshopper
1st July 2009, 01:46 PM
It's nice and looks cheap alright, but the decor doesn't match my furniture.:p

GoktimusPrime
1st July 2009, 10:14 PM
...you know that's a Melbourne wall cos it's completely covered in graffiti!! :p

but the public transport in Melbs is pretty good
Sure craps all over Sydney's pathetic excuse for transportation. They have better roads too... Sydney roads look like they were designed by some blindfolded lobotomised gibbon drawn with a crayon shoved up its nose in comparison. :(

Golden Phoenix
19th November 2009, 11:39 PM
*blows the dust of the thread*

Since something like this seems to pop up every now and then I figured I'd post it here, since sifting through the many differently titled threads will take to long

ANYWAY

I got a friend looking for a roommate ASAP for a place in Melbourne
House has room for 4 and there are 3 already. $116 p/week in Kensington. Close to a train station (bout 5-10 min walk), takes 2 stops to get into Melbourne's CBD.

If anyone is interested send me a msg and I'll talk to my friend for you and pass on any questions