PDA

View Full Version : Overcharging on shipping

blackie
30th June 2009, 05:57 PM
all decided apon
thankyou :)

jaydisc
30th June 2009, 06:13 PM
I think you're entitled to $2.75 back because you agreed on registered. Sounds like he said he wanted $50 and you agreed and paid $50, so that sounds like a done deal.

There is more cost than just postage costs. What if he's a $300 an hour lawyer and it took him 10 minutes to do it. Bang! That's $50 right there.

THERE IS NO RULE THAT SAYS PEOPLE CAN ONLY CHARGE YOU WHAT THE POST OFFICE CHARGES THEM.

IF YOU DIDN'T LIKE THE PRICE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE AGREED TO IT!!!!!

swoop
30th June 2009, 06:42 PM
sounds like your pretty passionate about this topic jaydisc.
Theres no harm in emailing the person blackie the worst they can say is what jaydisc already said

Defcon
30th June 2009, 07:27 PM
What was the cost of the actual items? were they a bargain cheap price? now add the postage onto the items, overall did you get a good deal.If you did I would be happy and learn from the experience. Besides if you are surprised by the postage that it was way over expensive, you could refuse to complete the transaction - Ebay has a policy on shipping that is excessive, so you have rights to report the seller for I suppose postage fraud, and possibly avoid a non-paying bidder strike. But if you have paid for the postage you have agreed to the postage, I don't really think its fair on the seller to complain afterwards. Sellers do it to avoid paying higher fees to ebay. Ebay does not like this. I avoid auctions that have excessive postage, and I ask beforehand what a buyers combined postage is.

TheDirtyDigger
30th June 2009, 07:43 PM
Send a message stating the truth, that you feel you've been ripped off to the tune of thirty dollars and in fairness you'd like that amount refunded.
If he refuses then leave the appropriate feedback.

I assume there was no fixed price for postage on the auction when it ended and that he's made up this $50 to profit from postage.

Robzy
30th June 2009, 07:56 PM
Clearly the $17.05 + $3.50 is the postage cost, and the rest is the "handling" cost. (You did get ripped off in regard to the Registered fee though!)

Although personally I don't agree with it, many people charge a handling fee which, unfortunately, is essentially up to the seller's own discretion in regard to the amount.

Tiby
4th July 2009, 11:20 AM
This is what the feedback stars are for. Make sure others know what happened.

PS - if a lawyer tried to charge for going to the post office, that is not the provision of a Legal Service and is not entitled to charge for it!

I suspect that something will be done about this "handling fee" thing soon. A shop, after all, does not put its price on the rack and then say: "okay, now I need some more money for a percentage of the rent, electricity, staff wages, etc, which I needed to sell this to you." That is built into and helps determine the price. So it should be here.

I personally avoid sellers with "handling fees". Just a gouge, pure and simple. A few bucks I can live with (especially sellers with lots on sale because they will go to the post office and mail in bulk) but not this much!

The fact that he did not register it shows that the "handling" cost is unjustified because he clearly did not pay enough attention to the item when posting it.

6th July 2009, 01:33 PM
yeh alot of low lives try to make money any way they can whether its selling Knockoffs as originals or slugging on postage.

Theres no need for it