PDA

View Full Version : RotF IMAX v. cinema (spoilers)

GoktimusPrime
4th July 2009, 09:21 AM
Having seen it on both IMAX and cinema, I forget which parts were in the IMAX version and which weren't! :p :p

In the forest fight when Prime said, "I'll take you all on!" - did he also say this in the cinema version?

Kyle
4th July 2009, 09:32 AM
He did. I've heard him saying this 3 times now. :D

This line really should have made it to the new voice helmet.

GoktimusPrime
4th July 2009, 09:42 AM
...the new helmet doesn't sound like Peter Cullen to me. Too digitised?

griffin
6th July 2009, 03:50 PM
I'll see if I can pick up on the differences this friday, as I should have seen the regular version enough times to spot the added bits.
But from what I've heard, it is just the two major fight scenes (Optimus Vs Decepticons, Final Battle scene), with added/extended bits to them. I got the impression that it is just those 2, unlike the first movie which had 6 extra/extended scenes added.

RagingBull
7th July 2009, 12:24 PM
can anyone tell me how long its IMAX run at the Sydney IMAX will be, i really dont want to miss it.

cheers

Ironhide63
7th July 2009, 12:37 PM
when Prime said 'Ill take you all on' i think it sounded really cartoony...WHICH WAS AWESOME!!!!

griffin
7th July 2009, 12:50 PM
can anyone tell me how long its IMAX run at the Sydney IMAX will be, i really dont want to miss it.

cheers

call them up and see if they have a set release period, or if they will just screen it until it is no longer getting in enough people. Consider though that when Harry Potter is released, it may replace TFs completely to capitalise on as many sessions of that movie as possible.
But for now, they still have about 3 sessions a day this week, and 4 this Saturday - so looks like it is still popular enough to be there for a few weeks at least.

Paulbot
7th July 2009, 12:51 PM

cheers

I have no factual basis for this belief, but I think that when Harry Potter comes out in the next few weeks it may bump Transformers off of the IMAX screens.

i_amtrunks
7th July 2009, 01:33 PM
I have no factual basis for this belief, but I think that when Harry Potter comes out in the next few weeks it may bump Transformers off of the IMAX screens.

Bingo. Looks like the 15th is the last day TF2 gets a screening in Sydney, after that it is all HP.

gamblor916
7th July 2009, 01:37 PM
I've only seen it in a regular screening so is it really worth seeing at Imax?

Paulbot
7th July 2009, 02:06 PM
I've only seen it in a regular screening so is it really worth seeing at Imax?

Is it much more expensive in Sydney? In Melbourne it was about $5 more than a regular cinema.

The full IMAX screen Devastator shots looked really nice. The Animation looked superior perhaps due to the film stock. Unfortunetly it kept cutting away to regular screen ratio shots during those sequences. (That happened in the Forest battle too - but just the once I think).

I thought the sound was superior in IMAX.

Kyle
7th July 2009, 02:36 PM
I paid $22 for IMAX.

griffin
12th July 2009, 12:10 AM
It was $25 for 'the world's biggest IMAX screen' in Sydney.

I only noticed one added thing, and that was a 2 second shot added to the Forest Battle, with Optimus wrestling with Blackout, before he is knocked down and draws his two swords.

I didn't pick anything added in the final battle, but will see if I notice something missing the next time I see the regular version.

And everything else was the same though. Nothing else appeared to be added in any other part of the movie. I did notice how significantly cropped/zoomed in the movie was on the IMAX screen. In some scenes it was really obvious when half the heads of various robots were cropped off the top of the screen, who are fully visible in the regular version. I don't know why they did this, because with the larger screen making it more difficult to track the fast, blurry movements, zooming in on the shots makes it even more blurry and difficult to see what is happening, especially any close combat scenes. I had people near me commenting that they couldn't see what was happeing (similar problem with TF1, like when BBee and Barricade were fighting), because the fast moving images were just a big blurred mess, made worse by it being zoomed in compared to the regular version.

(The BCC cinema near me charges $15.50 during the day, which is outrageous, but expected once they created a virtual monopoly when they merged with Hoyts and Greater Union a few years back. I don't think I'll be breaking my 12 theatre viewings record with TF1 at that price.)