PDA

View Full Version : WARNING!

1orion2many
7th July 2009, 11:46 PM
:(Just a warning guys to keep an eye on your bank accounts using the internet. I have 2 transactions which were done yesterday on my account for about $250, it was only because I was paying a phone bill that I noticed. Both were on my credit card and both transactions were in the UK. I'm having to sit up tonight to talk to an ANZ customer consultant over the phone because they were doing routine maintenence and were unable to help me until it was finished:mad:. Check your credit card on a regular basis, I'm just lucky it wasn't for more :eek::(

Kyle
7th July 2009, 11:48 PM
Nasty. :(

Golden Phoenix
8th July 2009, 12:02 AM
Lucky I don't have any money then...

wait....

aawwwww :(

sanbot
8th July 2009, 03:48 PM
:(Just a warning guys to keep an eye on your bank accounts using the internet. I have 2 transactions which were done yesterday on my account for about $250, it was only because I was paying a phone bill that I noticed. Both were on my credit card and both transactions were in the UK. I'm having to sit up tonight to talk to an ANZ customer consultant over the phone because they were doing routine maintenence and were unable to help me until it was finished:mad:. Check your credit card on a regular basis, I'm just lucky it wasn't for more :eek::(

How did this happen? Did someone manage to get your net banking details. Or was this a bank error?

kup
8th July 2009, 03:56 PM
How did this happen? Did someone manage to get your net banking details. Or was this a bank error?

Some Bank's online facilities lack protection such as Westpac's. To transfer money from a Westpac account to any external one all you need are the login details while other banks need you to verify a code sent to you by SMS before you can transfer to an external account.

1orion2many
8th July 2009, 09:09 PM

:(It is being investigated by the bank so will let you know. When the women on the end of the phone told me it could take 3 weeks my immediate reaction was to laugh, this person then got tetchy saying what was I laughing at so I told her the 3 months it was going to take:rolleyes:.

Vector Sigma 13
8th July 2009, 09:25 PM
I always worry just a bit when using internet banking- pitty its so damn convenient.

nettie!
8th July 2009, 09:32 PM
i find the quick cheque deposit box at westpac heaps scarier than online

To Punish & Enslave
9th July 2009, 12:05 AM
Spyware and malware are a big problem. Not saying it was your problem in this particular case. Most major antivirus programs such as Trend, Norton’s, Avg etc to name a few don’t tend to pick up many of the spyware /malware that can be silently running on your pc. For example you could have a spyware keyloger recording every keystroke you make. To make things worse people are hanging on to xp for dear life because they hate Vista. Xp has that many vulnerabilities in it that the hackers etc are having a field day with it.

Xp has been around since 2001 and most people still have it as a main operating system. I understand service pack 3 is the last service pack that Microsoft will roll out for xp. Malwarebytes is a great free program that can be downloaded for free off the net. Great for detecting and removing spyware and malware. Always back up important data first. No antivirus program is bullet proof and that is becoming more and more evident as time goes on. Any peer to peer programs like lime wire bit torrent etc are one of the main ways of getting these nasty’s in the first place. My 2c

sanbot
9th July 2009, 09:13 AM
I'm with HSBC and feel pretty safe with internet banking. Customers get this little device that generates a number which acts as an additional password when logging on. Not sure how it works though.

JuzMel
9th July 2009, 02:14 PM
Did you login at places like Internet Cafes or like those $ per hour rental PCs?

ANZ doesn't ask for extra code for transferring to external accounts as well. But I only login from my office which has huge firewall and latest anti-viruse/spywares - have to be coz we're govt. agency.

Deceptic_Optic
9th July 2009, 02:48 PM
Spyware and malware are a big problem. Not saying it was your problem in this particular case. Most major antivirus programs such as Trend, Norton’s, Avg etc to name a few don’t tend to pick up many of the spyware /malware that can be silently running on your pc. For example you could have a spyware keyloger recording every keystroke you make. To make things worse people are hanging on to xp for dear life because they hate Vista. Xp has that many vulnerabilities in it that the hackers etc are having a field day with it.

Xp has been around since 2001 and most people still have it as a main operating system. I understand service pack 3 is the last service pack that Microsoft will roll out for xp. Malwarebytes is a great free program that can be downloaded for free off the net. Great for detecting and removing spyware and malware. Always back up important data first. No antivirus program is bullet proof and that is becoming more and more evident as time goes on. Any peer to peer programs like lime wire bit torrent etc are one of the main ways of getting these nasty’s in the first place. My 2c

Do you think this affects mac users?

To Punish & Enslave
9th July 2009, 03:01 PM
Do you think this affects mac users?

Mac only has about 10 to 20% of the market so for that reason most spyware malware and Virus code is written for the other 80% of the market and they are mostly windows based pc's. Because of the ill fated roll out of Vista a lot of people went over to Mac. So the more popular Mac becomes the more likely malicious code will be written for it.

Golden Phoenix
9th July 2009, 06:23 PM
Mac only has about 10 to 20% of the market so for that reason most spyware malware and Virus code is written for the other 80% of the market and they are mostly windows based pc's. Because of the ill fated roll out of Vista a lot of people went over to Mac. So the more popular Mac becomes the more likely malicious code will be written for it.

Agreed (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20060513.jpg)

1orion2many
10th July 2009, 09:25 PM
:(Well the bank finally realised I'm getting shafted when I rang them and told them another $800 went missing from my account in one transaction:mad:, instead of a dispute form they finally realised my card needed cancelling and sent all the information through to the fraud squad HOORAY! I've never had a problem until I bought my wife some flowers giving my credit card details over the phone to pay for them, the same day the missing money started happening, this goes to show never buy your other half any flowers guys it always ends in trouble:rolleyes:

Kyle
10th July 2009, 09:28 PM
Sure sure... :D

Glad your bank's fraud squad is onto it now. :)

1orion2many
10th July 2009, 09:32 PM
:rolleyes:Yeah they were Ultra quick it only took about $1000 before they acted :cool:

Kyle
10th July 2009, 09:35 PM
I thought they have "the Falcon"...? :o

Tetsuwan Convoy
11th July 2009, 12:12 PM
I thought they have "the Falcon"...? :o

They do, but it only works when you do your own transactions:D. i put an order through to e-hobby about a year or so ago and no joking, about 2 min after I had pressed the confirm button they rang me to query the transaction coz it was in Japan....

11th July 2009, 01:35 PM
thanks for the headsup, i remember doing a transaction for 5k and i got an immediate phone call from st.george. They also keep an eye on ip's as that transaction was done from my work computer as opposed to at home. But at the end of the day like mentioned earlier all it takes is some spyware with a keylogger i try to becareful but sometimes have no choice as 99% of the banking for 3 entities is done from my home computer.

1orion2many
14th July 2009, 10:40 PM
:eek:another transaction went through yesterday, the bank said it was processed on the 6th, how come the 7 day delay to show up on my account. They accept I have been ripped off but now I have to put in another dispute form:confused:, give me a break.

blackie
14th July 2009, 10:41 PM
cancel the card maybe?

1orion2many
14th July 2009, 11:20 PM
:(The card was cancelled after the third transaction that is what is confusing the hell out of me:confused:

Kyle
14th July 2009, 11:26 PM
I wonder what kind of stuff they attempted to buy with your card...

Saintly
14th July 2009, 11:32 PM
:(The card was cancelled after the third transaction that is what is confusing the hell out of me:confused:

maybe it's one of those manual transactions (and doesn't need the CVV code)

Borgeman
14th July 2009, 11:52 PM
i find comodo to be quite an effective anti virus/ firewall program - you can set the degree of protection, to the point where any connection in or out of the pc requires your permission to continue. so if you access site x, and a file (spyware) rties to background download, comodo will detect and either block it or ask you to allow or block. it even wants to confirm for msn when it tries to log on :)

i highly recommend it - i also use malwareytes and spybot as secondary programs

George

1AZRAEL1
15th July 2009, 12:55 PM
i find comodo to be quite an effective anti virus/ firewall program - you can set the degree of protection, to the point where any connection in or out of the pc requires your permission to continue. so if you access site x, and a file (spyware) rties to background download, comodo will detect and either block it or ask you to allow or block. it even wants to confirm for msn when it tries to log on :)

i highly recommend it - i also use malwareytes and spybot as secondary programs

George

Very interesting.
Maybe I will have to get that when I finally get a computer :p

sanbot
15th July 2009, 01:31 PM

I don't think cancelling a card will do anything unless they change the card number as well. So whoever has your credit card details can still purchase stuff over the internet.

stencilator
15th July 2009, 01:33 PM
I got seriously ripped off last week. The bank called me at 2:30 on a Saturday to ask about three transaction that had just happened on my credit card. Someone managed to duplicate my card (I still had mine in my wallet) and use it to spend about $1100.00 at a tobacco store, then another few hundred at Coles. Total fraud = $1490.

The last trasnaction had occured only 5 minutes before the bank rang me. they cancelled the card on the spot and they have now credited the amount to my account and I have a new card. They don't know how the thieves did it (yet), but I'm really impressed by how quickly the bank responded and fixed the problem... at least from my end.

1orion2many
23rd July 2009, 12:02 AM
Sorry to hear about it Stenc. I have now had a really weird phone call from the U.S, the guy said he was a courrier with a package for me, said my address which I confirmed then he wanted my birth date:confused:. I have never heard of a courrier needing a birth date for delivery, the guy said without it he would have to cancel the order. He told me it was a present of flowers and a teddy bear from a female but he couldn't reveal any details about them and all would be revealed when he delivered. I told him I was married ( I talked to my wife as the guy had to ring back a second time as he dropped out) and that my wife hadn't sent me anything, I said I had not heard of having to give your birth date out and that he wasn't having it, I said he could either deliver it or cancel but he was not having my birth date. Has anyone heard of a courrier needing your birth date for I.D before or is this a continuation from my account being ripped:confused:.

1orion2many
23rd July 2009, 12:05 AM
I don't think cancelling a card will do anything unless they change the card number as well. So whoever has your credit card details can still purchase stuff over the internet.

Yes it's a completely new number;)

Kyle
23rd July 2009, 12:10 AM
Sorry to hear about it Stenc. I have now had a really weird phone call from the U.S, the guy said he was a courrier with a package for me, said my address which I confirmed then he wanted my birth date:confused:. I have never heard of a courrier needing a birth date for delivery, the guy said without it he would have to cancel the order. He told me it was a present of flowers and a teddy bear from a female but he couldn't reveal any details about them and all would be revealed when he delivered. I told him I was married ( I talked to my wife as the guy had to ring back a second time as he dropped out) and that my wife hadn't sent me anything, I said I had not heard of having to give your birth date out and that he wasn't having it, I said he could either deliver it or cancel but he was not having my birth date. Has anyone heard of a courrier needing your birth date for I.D before or is this a continuation from my account being ripped:confused:.

You could have given him a fake birth date... :D

kup
23rd July 2009, 12:13 AM

Sounds extremely dodgy.

griffin
24th July 2009, 09:31 AM

It's best to get their company name and number and tell them that you will look it up and verify it before confirming any of your details.

Otherwise, that can be part of the process for ID theft. Obtaining your birthdate allows people who have some other minor details like your banking details, to obtain other things, and work their way onto something like Passports or their own bank accounts in your name. Or it could have just been someone trying to access your bank to transfer control of your accounts to them (I've been asked in the past for my date of birth as a form of ID when talking to banks and government agencies on the phone).
I generally refuse to give my date of birth over the phone, because if they can't prove who they are, why should I prove who I am at their request?

It could be as easy as making an imprint/photo of a Credit/Key Card (and signature) to get the card number and their name, and do a search in the phonebook for that name to get their address and phone number. Call up that number and get them to give their date of birth (for something bogus like a delivery confirmation, or as a bank wanting to verify a purchase or something serious to get you to want to help out), and then... well, let's just say that there are a number of things you can now do by phone or in person at certain banks with those sort of personal details. (this isn't a lesson for people to know how to do this - it is just to alert you to be aware of these sorts of scams that can have a real negative impact on you later - like all those courier/bank emails (I get) asking for you to confirm your details for an undelivered package (but is a virus in the attached 'details form'), or to log into a website (with some odd country code in the URL) to fix up something that went wrong on your account)

I use internet banking more than I should, but I still try to be careful and not interact with banks or anyone important unless I call them first, or see them in person.

I actually found this more disturbing - It was on TV yesterday, and there is probably a clip online somewhere, but this text article covers most of what was in the article.
Basically, it highlighted how you shouldn't leave any personal details on your own computer without at least password protecting those files, because repair shops could well be looking through your computer and stealing your details/files.
http://www.skynews.com.au/tech/article.aspx?id=354973

sanbot
24th July 2009, 10:39 AM
You could have given him a fake birth date... :D

Thats a brilliant idea! If they were fake, they would have just accepted the birth date as being correct and done whatever dodgy thing they're trying to do. But if its legit they would have said, nope, i'm afraid u gave the wrong DOB.

Lint
24th July 2009, 11:17 AM
I got seriously ripped off last week. The bank called me at 2:30 on a Saturday to ask about three transaction that had just happened on my credit card. Someone managed to duplicate my card (I still had mine in my wallet) and use it to spend about $1100.00 at a tobacco store, then another few hundred at Coles. Total fraud = $1490.

The last trasnaction had occured only 5 minutes before the bank rang me. they cancelled the card on the spot and they have now credited the amount to my account and I have a new card. They don't know how the thieves did it (yet), but I'm really impressed by how quickly the bank responded and fixed the problem... at least from my end.

Sounds like you may have been a victim of card skimming. Your bank may have sent you an alert about this through email.

If you've ever handed your card to the waiter at a restaurant (or similar situation) they can put your card through a scanner to copy it's magnetic info AND your personal signature.

Alternatively if you've used your card at an ATM they may have scanned your card by installing a faux card reader and overhead camera (to read your pin when you key it in) on the ATM itself. The equipment they install are usually well sculpted and are not obvious unless you're deliberately inspecting.

To protect yourself, try not to withdraw cash from ATMs, especially ones that are isolated or facing the street where its not so busy (harder for them to install their gear if theres always people around), always cover your hand when you key in your pin and inspect the ATM for dodginess before use.

stencilator
24th July 2009, 01:17 PM
Sounds like you may have been a victim of card skimming. Your bank may have sent you an alert about this through email.

If you've ever handed your card to the waiter at a restaurant (or similar situation) they can put your card through a scanner to copy it's magnetic info AND your personal signature.

Alternatively if you've used your card at an ATM they may have scanned your card by installing a faux card reader and overhead camera (to read your pin when you key it in) on the ATM itself. The equipment they install are usually well sculpted and are not obvious unless you're deliberately inspecting.

To protect yourself, try not to withdraw cash from ATMs, especially ones that are isolated or facing the street where its not so busy (harder for them to install their gear if theres always people around), always cover your hand when you key in your pin and inspect the ATM for dodginess before use.

I suspect my local servo. I'm always extra careful at ATM's (the closest one to my house was on the news for the card reader/camera for you pin scam a couple of years ago) and I rarely use my card in person for anything else. I recently started using pin option with my credit card. My local servo has a security screen that gives the attendant a bit of privacy and they could easily swipe the card through a skimmer without you seeing, and then they have secuirty cameras to watch you enter your pin.

In business I see plenty of attempts at credit card scams. One of the most elaborate ones we get on a regular basis would only net the thief a couple of hundred bucks and takes a fair effort. It must be a constant battle for the banks to try and keep up with the thieves, and I'm impressed at how well they do.

dirge
24th July 2009, 04:36 PM
Al, As someone who deals with card skimming as part of my job, I can tell you that servo attendants are one of the "weak links" we come across in terms of people obtaining (and then usually selling) card numbers.

BTW the profits are there. They might only get $1000 at a time, but they'll sit there at an ATM with a handful of fake cards and just go nuts. Because the banks are often only able to respond retroactively because by the time they realise a scam is running the money is gone. Which is why it _is_ profitable ):