PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jackson Memorial

To Punish & Enslave
8th July 2009, 06:08 AM
Woke up at 3am to see the Michael Jackson memorial. The memorial was a fitting tribute to a man who gave so much. He made the Guinness book of records for donating the biggest amount of charity from an entertainer. Behind the scenes he did so much for humanity that most of us probably didn’t know. Amazing man that will be missed but his legacy will live on.

k.wong23
8th July 2009, 08:59 AM
Missed this because I would have been knackered for work, I hope there is a re-run!

sanbot
8th July 2009, 09:05 AM
I think its great that MJ is remembered in a positive way and I do feel angered that many people automatically think of all the negative publicity whenever they think of him and automatically assume that he is this monster.

But I can't help but feel that this memorial seems a bit too extreme.

Its good to celebrate someones life and remember them with tributes. But to make it public, invite other stars along and to sell tickets for it. I don't know, it doesn't seem right?

I like how Diana Ross put it when she said she wanted mourn privately.

Paulbot
8th July 2009, 09:16 AM
Missed this because I would have been knackered for work, I hope there is a re-run!

At Midday I believe, and on Channel Nine tonight in primetime.

To Punish & Enslave
8th July 2009, 11:04 AM
I think its great that MJ is remembered in a positive way and I do feel angered that many people automatically think of all the negative publicity whenever they think of him and automatically assume that he is this monster.

Its good to celebrate someones life and remember them with tributes. But to make it public, invite other stars along and to sell tickets for it. I don't know, it doesn't seem right?

Fair comment .There was rumours that there may have been an open casket for people to view him. I’m glad their wasn’t. Also the tickets were not on sale as you stated but they were given away for free. Certain people did try to scalp them off on eBay though for ridiculous amounts and that certainly wasn’t right. His burial I understand to be a private affair and that’s how it should be.

enforcer888
8th July 2009, 11:11 AM
Watched bits and pieces today and they (TV) did a good job of showcasing the emotion of the service, I wasn't a massive fan of his but even I teared up when his kid started talking.

kup
8th July 2009, 11:26 AM
Watched bits and pieces today and they (TV) did a good job of showcasing the emotion of the service, I wasn't a massive fan of his but even I teared up when his kid started talking.

Was it Blanket?

To Punish & Enslave
8th July 2009, 11:37 AM
Was it Blanket?

Think it was Paris Kup

autobreadticon
8th July 2009, 01:18 PM
it so easy to pass judgement on someone you don't really know, MJ reminded us that you can't judge someone unless you met with someone face to face, and tabloid such as Martin Bashir took advantage of MJ honesty and naive nature. But MJ spiritual side taught him not to hate but for forgiveness for the cruel and fault rumours and accusations. I found myself questioning whether MJ was sincere but you just have to trust your heart.
This is why i never judge someone on appearance, but rather i focus on the uniqueness and beauty in their personality, compassion, kindness.... and i can't hate all those that wish to bring MJ down, it there own opinions and i won't let them interfere with my feelings. Peace with you MJ

heres edit 1 from my blog
I am deeply sadden by the misconceptions of people who do not know enough about MJ, his legacy as a human being will always be the reminder we as human beings are all capable of tolerant, love and making this world a better place, he realised this in his teenage years as MJ first hand saw how adults (teenagers beforehand) are ruining this world by their choices and decisions. But he realised as adults we are collection of events and memories of our childhood. He never had the childhood he would hope for but he acknowledges this is what made him into the man he was. Using his loneliness and hurt into something the world could benefit from. Compensating this loss through the creation of Never land, it was a reflection of him never growing up like the character Peter Pan. I believe its a beautiful thing when people say he had a mind of ten year old, through his eyes we saw the excitement and joy he had in discovering and learning about life, in a way he enjoyed life to the fullest but this also caused him to be naive ,trusting and opening up to others only to be betrayed. As adults or those who could not relate to him we tend to look down on him, we do not grasp the concept of being a child, innocence and pure who do not judge whose minds are sculptured by our experiences, this is why I believe teenagers become troubled because the core essence of a family structure erodes away simply because we forget how to share the love. If we could only aspire....
MJ other message was of tolerant. As a superstar after the album Thriller MJ not did appreciate how white and blacks were treating him. The white community treated him well due to his star status but not as a black man, while the black community claim him as their own. MJ was never ashamed by his blackness, I believe it is disappointing that people say hes black so he should have black children. MJ taught us there is no colour; we are all just human beings. Blind people like Stevie Wonder need not judge him by the colour of his skin but the presence and energies he emitted. Too much emphasis was placed on MJ skin and appearance. I felt ashamed for the majority of things I could relate to as a teenager, where this is a common occurrence, when MJ talked about how cruel people can judge people by appearances. As a teenager he talked about how his acne and unique nose brought about ridicule, this destroys his self-esteem and how he compensated by trying to constantly change himself. It was sad how the tabloids use MJ as vehicle for self-profit, while MJ used his vast fortune in benefiting the world. At first MJ wanted to create this eccentric and unique image, but when MJ became closed by the negative betrayal by the tabloid, they create their own lies and rumours. MJ was a human being and no one likes to be victimized by lies and cruel jokes. I learned to never judge anyone until I have met them and spoke to them. But MJ was bigger than this and his spirituality taught him to forgive, most evident by the abuse he received from father Joe Jackson. He realised Joe’s discipline was a result of his childhood, he instulled strong family values that defined his moral character. His upbringing defined his spirituality but his message was too much conflict is associated with religion. He demonstrated that people are too concerned with the fundamentals while not the contents. He believed in the word of God, practices of Buddhism, recent convert to Islam and he was a deeply philosophical man. People are too concern with the distinction and differences between difference religious teaching, while we focused on facts we don’t focus on the teaching and aspirer to live by them.
Never land was an ideal, a place where families were not able to give their kids the opportunity to take them to a carnival in the inter-suburbs or to Disneyland, a place where just kids could be themselves and relate to other kids. MJ was naive that he allowed certain kids (rare occasion) to share his bedroom. One thing people sublimely associate is ‘bed’ and ‘bedroom’ with something sexual; I believe MJ had a soul that would never commit anything sexual with children. Unlike his friend who exploited MJ naive nature, I guess its human nature to be greedy at the expense of destroying another human being. MJ showed he was a father figure to kids such as from disadvantage families who father presence is absence, a brother to those parents so intend in making their kid into the next child star, to a friend who were experiencing the possibility of death (Gavin). MJ had no secret agenda of self-promotion to gain creditability for the next generation to realise his talents, he genuinely was a loving and caring person.....
MJ true legacy is evident in the song collaboration in the song WE ARE THE WORLD, “we are the world, we are the children, we are the ones that make a brighter world so lets start giving, there’s a choice we’re making, were saving our own lives, just you and me”.
While MJ was a musical genius, I loved MJ because he was more than just brilliant music, he was a beautiful human being who had a kind and loving soul. While I read hateful messages directed at people like Martin Bashir, Gavin and others, this is not what he would want from his fans, he would want us to express and share more love in this world. Like great artist in the past only after his death shall his greatness be truly realised. Read about MJ life and listen to his music and stories because they are teh soundtrack and lesson of our lives. R.I.P can you finally reach that level of perfection and peace.

tonnes of grammar mistakes :p

autobreadticon
8th July 2009, 01:28 PM

from what i know the tickets were free and given to the public via a lottery system to those who applied, i doubt the memorial would made a profit but donations would attributed to operating costs for the event

JuzMel
8th July 2009, 01:40 PM
http://www.fox.com.au/entertainment/music/artists/michael-jackson/live-streaming-video

Live video updates of the memorial if you're interested, people.

I couldn't help but cried when they played the tearful speech from his daughter Paris on Fox FM this morning... :(

sanbot
8th July 2009, 01:45 PM
I didn't realise the tix were free... But still, I've always viewed public memorials for famous people to be too extreme. Its like the memorials are there to glamorise the person even if its not the intention.

By all means have a memorial but it should just be restricted to family and close friends of the deceased person. Fan's are not close friends.

Nice blog btw. Regarding the fiasco with the children in his bedroom. I'm inclined to believe that MJ trully believed it all to be innocent in his heart because he was simply trying to relive some of his childhood memories. But unfortunately to society, an adult sharing a bed with children (other then their own) is stereotyped into something that is wrong.

griffin
8th July 2009, 02:08 PM
If western society hadn't sexualised everything and corrupted minds into it being the ulterior motive for showing innocent affection (selfless love Vs selfish lust), people wouldn't be assuming the worst of others from their own corrupted perspective.

Parents or relatives are more likely to abuse a child than a family friend, or even a stranger. So people need to look closer to home before judging others.

His obsession of playing soldier all the time, and living like Peter Pan suggests he acted more like a child wanting to be with other children, than an adult wanting his way with children.

To Punish & Enslave
8th July 2009, 02:28 PM
If western society hadn't sexualised everything and corrupted minds into it being the ulterior motive for showing innocent affection (selfless love Vs selfish lust), people wouldn't be assuming the worst of others from their own corrupted perspective.

Parents or relatives are more likely to abuse a child than a family friend, or even a stranger. So people need to look closer to home before judging others.

His obsession of playing soldier all the time, and living like Peter Pan suggests he acted more like a child wanting to be with other children, than an adult wanting his way with children.

Spot on. Couldn’t of said it better myself.

STL
9th July 2009, 12:12 AM
it so easy to pass judgement on someone you don't really know,

Newsflash, sunshine. People pass judgement on everyone every day of the week. You're lying to yourself if you think otherwise. Be it right or wrong, informed or misinformed, we all do.

Jackson isn't exempt from being passed judgement on either - no matter how great his contribution to music. Some people seem to think that certain people, aka celebrities, are above criticism once they're dead.

To Punish & Enslave
9th July 2009, 12:21 AM
Newsflash, sunshine. People pass judgement on everyone every day of the week. You're lying to yourself if you think otherwise. Be it right or wrong, informed or misinformed, we all do.

Jackson isn't exempt from being passed judgement on either - no matter how great his contribution to music. Some people seem to think that certain people, aka celebrities, are above criticism once they're dead.

Come on STL lets not get the thread closed down again. Lets keep it positive and non confronting this time round for people to show their respects.Only 1 judgement counts anyways and it aint from us. My 2c:)

autobreadticon
9th July 2009, 12:30 AM

.... My point was don't pass judgement until you know the facts about Any1 or anything.. It good we all have opinions, it's up to you to decide whether you want to be right or content..

STL
9th July 2009, 12:39 AM
.... My point was don't pass judgement until you know the facts about Any1 or anything.. It good we all have opinions, it's up to you to decide whether you want to be right or content..

That's assuming you'll always know everything about anyone or anything. A hefty assumption to proceed from as it'd suggest that virtually all people would never be fit to comment on anyone or anything. I'll leave it at that.

autobreadticon
9th July 2009, 12:49 AM
Exactly you never really know any1, what you do know are your own prejudices, What I am saying is look beyond your own prejudices when passing judgement and rather than focusing on physical ,look for the spiritual within someone, those are the things that make up a man

autobreadticon
9th July 2009, 12:57 AM
My message is for understanding, You can make positive or negative judgements it's your free will,base your decision on being rational rather than seeded prejudice, I wrote not so we can have a heated discussion on the validity of my opinions, it was more of a celebration of MJ ultimate legacy through the eyes of a fan, am I right??? that's for someone else who knew him as a fan to decide...

To Punish & Enslave
9th July 2009, 01:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-8KIIWrR6Y

autobreadticon
9th July 2009, 01:11 AM
one last thing I'm glad channel 9 decided to cancel this week programming in favour of broadcasting MJ in concert,I appreciated it after paying my respects during the memorial, I believe many tuned in to watch that than Living with MJ on channel seven :)

griffin
9th July 2009, 01:13 AM
Celebrities are not above the law or public attention. They make their money by being famous, and to an extent, owe us something for all that money we gave them. Most (including MJ, as his manager confirmed in one of the docos screened yesterday), create attention just to keep themselves in the public eye, to feel needed or important, but often the publicity is nothing more than an investment (it can sell more CDs, books, etc, or land them a new job/acting role, etc).

Unfounded speculation/judgement is best kept to oneself, as it can mislead others who see enough people talking about it publically, to (falsely) assume it to be true.

sanbot
9th July 2009, 09:10 AM
Only 1 judgement counts anyways and it aint from us. My 2c:)

Spot on mate. Assuming we're both thinking the same thing.

JuzMel
9th July 2009, 12:27 PM
Spot on mate. Assuming we're both thinking the same thing.
God? ;)

autobreadticon
9th July 2009, 12:41 PM
Celebrities are not above the law or public attention. They make their money by being famous, and to an extent, owe us something for all that money we gave them. Most (including MJ, as his manager confirmed in one of the docos screened yesterday), create attention just to keep themselves in the public eye, to feel needed or important, but often the publicity is nothing more than an investment (it can sell more CDs, books, etc, or land them a new job/acting role, etc).

Unfounded speculation/judgement is best kept to oneself, as it can mislead others who see enough people talking about it publically, to (falsely) assume it to be true.

well said

sanbot
9th July 2009, 01:58 PM
God? ;)

Amen to that!

JuzMel
9th July 2009, 02:00 PM
Amen to that!
Add a Hallelujah... :D

sanbot
9th July 2009, 02:08 PM
Add a Hallelujah... :D

oh happy day, oh happy day... :D

hotaru_oz
9th July 2009, 11:33 PM
I caught a glimpse of it the other day.
I had tears in my eyes when Paris gave her speech, it kinda reminded me when my dad died :(

To Punish & Enslave
10th July 2009, 01:03 AM
I caught a glimpse of it the other day.
I had tears in my eyes when Paris gave her speech, it kinda reminded me when my dad died :(

Im sorry to hear about your farther hotaru. I lost my father as a kid. It’s an un describable pain that never really goes away. It does however allow you to understand what grief really is and be more compassionate towards others. Life is short.

Saintly
14th July 2009, 08:59 PM
life is short indeed.

I need to catch up on the memorial service (I haven't seen any of it yet)