PDA

View Full Version : Classic GIJoe Cartoon DVD set now out.

griffin
11th July 2009, 11:41 PM
I think Soundwarp was obsessively looking for GIJoe DVDs some time ago, but couldn't find any... But I saw today in 2 stores (JB and Kmart), a DVD boxset containing 11 hours of the 80s GIJoe cartoon. That would equate to about 33 episodes - is that all that was produced? Because there didn't seem to be anything on the packaging to suggest it was Volume 1, or that it was the complete series.
It is priced at $42 at Kmart, so should be about that elsewhere.
Also note that it is listed as a limited release, so get it quick in case stores have already got all the stock that is available.

Kyle
11th July 2009, 11:45 PM
I think Soundwarp was obsessively looking for GIJoe DVDs some time ago, but couldn't find any... But I saw today in 2 stores (JB and Kmart), a DVD boxset containing 11 hours of the 80s GIJoe cartoon. That would equate to about 33 episodes - is that all that was produced? Because there didn't seem to be anything on the packaging to suggest it was Volume 1, or that it was the complete series.
It is priced at $42 at Kmart, so should be about that elsewhere.
Also note that it is listed as a limited release, so get it quick in case stores have already got all the stock that is available.

I saw the same set too (G.I. Joe Tour of Duty) on Thursday night and was wondering about the same thing. I looked up wiki when I got home and it turns out the old cartoon had like 90+ episodes. Without any indication of volume on the box this looks like some sort of "best of" collection.

griffin
12th July 2009, 12:13 AM
Pity then, as a best-of usually covers 10 episodes and the distributor also releases a full set. But this suggests that these 33 episodes will probably be all that this distributor will be releasing for the foreseeable future.
And since it isn't a Madman release, who knows what will happen.

Kyle
12th July 2009, 12:34 AM
Just had another look on wiki. There were two separate periods of the old G.I. Joe cartoon. The first was produced by Sunbow (1983-1986) and it lasted 95 episodes. The second was produced by DIC (1989-1991) which continued on from the Sunbow series and lasted 44 episodes.

Omega Supreme
12th July 2009, 07:45 AM
I picked this set up the other day, for those interested, it has 29 episodes, plus some character profiles. The episodes are the first 29 (excluding the 3 5part series). Works out less than $2 an episode which I can justify :)

SentinelPrime
12th July 2009, 11:09 AM
Im off to pick this up.... Kyle: where did you spot it at?

Deceptic_Optic
12th July 2009, 11:10 AM
jb hifi and kmart

liegeprime
12th July 2009, 01:02 PM
I picked this set up the other day, for those interested, it has 29 episodes, plus some character profiles. The episodes are the first 29 (excluding the 3 5part series). Works out less than $2 an episode which I can justify :)
Probably that 5 part series are considered "special saga episodes". Like mini series movies - e.g. GiJoe: Pyramid of Darkness. If this was the episodes without Cobra Commander in Battle armour then its the Sunbow ones, which I find better as the ones made by DIC , well lets just say are more comedic. It started out well with the return of CobraCommander and the birth of the Python Patrol but soon degraded into meh episodes.:o Might have to take a stroll down JB-Hi Fi then :D

Kyle
12th July 2009, 01:10 PM
Im off to pick this up.... Kyle: where did you spot it at?

jb hifi and kmart

Yes I saw it at JB. :)

Probably that 5 part series are considered "special saga episodes". Like mini series movies - e.g. GiJoe: Pyramid of Darkness. If this was the episodes without Cobra Commander in Battle armour then its the Sunbow ones, which I find better as the ones made by DIC , well lets just say are more comedic. It started out well with the return of CobraCommander and the birth of the Python Patrol but soon degraded into meh episodes.:o Might have to take a stroll down JB-Hi Fi then :D

I'm tempted now... :D

TF76
12th July 2009, 08:06 PM
I used to have lots of the toys (Still have a few) but I have never seen the cartoon. :confused:

Back in the day was it on TV here?

foor
14th July 2009, 01:47 PM
Meh to Best Of's. That just means they're milking it and will release the complete set later.

Just wait and the full thing will be out. Eventually.

STL
14th July 2009, 10:27 PM
Just wait and the full thing will be out. Eventually.

I was originally excited but when I found out it wasn't going to be the complete series, I figured I'll just wait it out. Not like I don't have enough TV to catch up on

rateeg
15th July 2009, 01:04 AM
saw this one also at jb hifi.
i want to know if it has good picture quality as with the transformers boxed sets.

Sam
15th July 2009, 11:12 PM
Yeah I also saw this at JB, and wanted to get it. But then checked the wiki entry and realised it was probably not a complete series.